It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: "Fan"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
No, I have to disagree. The Expos' logo just doesn't look American enough. Same with the Blue Jays. I love that original Blue Jays logo, but there's something about it that's not traditional American baseball. Maybe it's the '70s soccer numbers.

Im focused on the colors

Elmhurst bryan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:02 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
There's no lowercase L. That's just the part of the M that isn't an e or a b. It's "Montréal Expos baseball" or "Expos de Montréal baseball," depending on whether you read it in English by starting with the big letter then the smaller letters, or in French where you just read from left to right. It was really a brilliant piece of bilingual design.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im focused on the colors

They wore the same colors as the Canadiens.

HOCKEY DOESNT MATTER AND CANADA DOESNT EXIST ALRIGHT!?!?!?!? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
There's no lowercase L. That's just the part of the M that isn't an e or a b. It's "Montréal Expos baseball" or "Expos de Montréal baseball," .

You just blew my mind. All my life I thought it was e l b and it was some lame french thing...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Hank Scorpio wrote:
You just blew my mind. All my life I thought it was e l b and it was some lame french thing...

Brilliant design. Nobody had a fucking clue what it was. No wonder they failed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Over / under on how many current roster Cubs Mackeyfish can name. I'd set it at 10.5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Over / under on how many current roster Cubs Mackeyfish can name. I'd set it at 10.5

UNDER!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Hatchetman wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

They failed because English Canadians like baseball much more than French Canadians, and the French Canadians chased all the English Canadians out of Quebec (especially Montreal's Jewish population, whom they particularly disliked). That and ownership conspiring with the commissioner's office to trade up on franchises and kill the market, of course. But sure, blame the hat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

They failed because English Canadians like baseball much more than French Canadians, and the French Canadians chased all the English Canadians out of Quebec (especially Montreal's Jewish population, whom they particularly disliked). That and ownership conspiring with the commissioner's office to trade up on franchises and kill the market, of course. But sure, blame the hat.

A bit off topic here, but it has always bothered me that Don Draper's French Canadian wife who was born some time in the forties is named "Megan". Shouldn't she be Francoise or Isabelle or something?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 pm 

Yeah, that does seem a little progressive for the '40s. That still would have a time when every francophone girl in Quebec was named Marie or Catherine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm 

I once took a road trip into Canada. We stopped at the Citadel in Quebec City to do some sightseeing. I was inside the fortress walls of Old Quebec waiting in a line for a tour. A man walked in with an Expos hat and the tour guide lit up when he saw the hat and the two engaged in an extremely animated conversation about the fate of the Expos, the firing of Alou, moving to Miami, and the team potentially being bought by MLB. The language alternated between English and French, with the tour guide always switching to French whenever he got angry. It went on for about ten minutes, all while a handful of people were waiting to go on the tour. I'm not even sure the man in the Expos hat understood French. At the end of their dialogue the tour guide grabbed the man's hat and tapped the logo saying "Les Expos, we never forget."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:52 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

A bit off topic here, but it has always bothered me that Don Draper's French Canadian wife who was born some time in the forties is named "Megan". Shouldn't she be Francoise or Isabelle or something?

I thought only her mom was French Canadian and her dad was American... I can't remember for sure...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:03 pm 

Both of Megan's parents are French.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Both of Megan's parents are French.

Must be losing it. I thought her dad was a little old NY jew commie sympathizer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:10 pm 

Communist, but most certainly French. Passive-aggressive as hell, too. I like the scene where he's like "Bobby is elping me fill my fount-ann pen!" and that little dipshit spilled ink all over Don's white carpet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Zizou wrote:
I once took a road trip into Canada. We stopped at the Citadel in Quebec City to do some sightseeing. I was inside the fortress walls of Old Quebec waiting in a line for a tour. A man walked in with an Expos hat and the tour guide lit up when he saw the hat and the two engaged in an extremely animated conversation about the fate of the Expos, the firing of Alou, moving to Miami, and the team potentially being bought by MLB. The language alternated between English and French, with the tour guide always switching to French whenever he got angry. It went on for about ten minutes, all while a handful of people were waiting to go on the tour. I'm not even sure the man in the Expos hat understood French. At the end of their dialogue the tour guide grabbed the man's hat and tapped the logo saying "Les Expos, we never forget."

And that man in the Expos hat was Gary from Evanston... and that's the rest of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:28 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
Mac wrote:
Cubs fan posing as a Sox fan.

Or is it the other way?

Bandwagon fan.

"Can't be a fan if......"

Blah, blah, blah motherfucking blah.

What are you guys, 12 years old?

For the record... I don't give a flying fuck who ANYBODY roots for....when you root for them....why you root for them. Why would ANYBODY give a shit. I'm not going to ask for anybody to extend me the same courtesy and let me go my way. Either way, I don't give a damn about what you think you're entitled to.

But you're the same guy who use get on the radio in the 90's and tell Bulls fans they weren't really Bulls fans if they couldn't speak to Guy Rodgers time as a Chicago Bull. So who you crappin?

He also used to disguise his ignorance for the sport by stating that Bulls fans were not really Bulls fans they were Michael Jordan bandwagon fans and once Jordan left the United Center would be half filled. I always detected that it was a way for him to not have to talk basketball. Very who you crappinish though because he always attempted to qualify who was and was not a Bulls fan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
About 2 minutes of looking at the morning sports pages. That's all it takes to be Mackeyfish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5