It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pat Foley...Reel it in
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:22 am 

I want to know what the masses feel about the statement I'm going to make.
I feel like Pat Foley, who I really like, should stick to the play-by-play and let go of the long
winded stat packs and stories that detract from the game that is being played. Hockey is not the
kind of sport that allows for rambling and irrelevant gabbing. I hate it when watching any game the man or men behind the microphones decide to turn their venue into a talk show. I'm not advocating for Pat to be replaced, just to call the action while it's taking place. All the rest of his thoughts can be advanced during stoppages in play. I know this will not be well received.....The Firing Range is open.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Blackcloud wrote:
I feel like Pat Foley, who I really like, should stick to the play-by-play and let go of the long
winded stat packs and stories that detract from the game that is being played. Hockey is not the
kind of sport that allows for rambling and irrelevant gabbing. I hate it when watching any game the man or men behind the microphones decide to turn their venue into a talk show. I'm not advocating for Pat to be replaced, just to call the action while it's taking place. All the rest of his thoughts can be advanced during stoppages in play. I know this will not be well received.....The Firing Range is open.

You'll actually get a lot of agreement with that statement. Flaws aside I still think he's the best in the biz.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I keep hearing that the radio guy is really good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Great at play by play. Terrible at any and all things comedy. Olcyzk guffawing at everything "the great Pat Foley" says doesn't help. Together, they make the cackling duo of Mully and Hanley sound reserved, as if they're true arbiters of what's funny.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
jimmypasta wrote:
I keep hearing that the radio guy is really good.

He is. Troy Murray has also improved enormously since beginning.

As for Foley, I get that it's not baseball and you can't bullshit the same way, but at the same time, it's an 82-game season and you can't redline it through every phase of every game for six months. Remember that no less than a third of the league's broadcasting teams are patently awful. If you had to listen to the bumbling doofuses in Edmonton, the grating voices in Washington, or the drying paint in Anaheim, you'd be on your knees begging to hear more about Eddie Olczyk's horse.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
It's TV play-by-play. He's fine. Sure, he can't hold Wiedeman's jock but everyone eventually loses their fastball.

Curious Hair wrote:
the grating voices in Washington

Sccccccccooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrreeeeeee! Aleeeeeeeexxxander Oveeeeeeeechkin!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Blackcloud wrote:

If you follow me in the gay threads, I feel exactly this way. I am sick of the dumb little jokes and laughter. I am sick of the military tributes every frickin night. I am tired of hearing how great the Blackhawks staff (and everyone affiliated with them) are, "the best in the business" on every single issue from camera folks to ice sweepers. I am sick of all the charitable crap that makes the Blackhawks really great guys. Stop feeding me the feel good crap. I care about wins and losses.

I wish they would stick to the action on the ice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
denisdbernstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I am with Bernsie on this showy military crap. It has no place in sports. And, how many times have we been fooled about an athlete being a great guy and then beating his wife/gf?

I am worried about on ice performance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Remember, for the majority of his career, Foley was simulcating TV AND radio, so he had to try to balance between the two. Regardless, I don't mind the mindless banter between him and Ed, but I prefer his PBP. Funny enough, the opposite is true for me when it comes to Doc Emrick - I really enjoy his banter, but his PBP (especially when he gets excited, which is 85% of the time) is shrill and grating.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I like Foley for his PBP, but I also like the fact that he doesn't take himself too seriously. The clowning around & freewheeling with Eddie is what make them a great broadcast team.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Doc Emrick - I really enjoy his banter, but his PBP (especially when he gets excited, which is 85% of the time) is shrill and grating.

I agree, very much so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Scorehead wrote:
I like Foley for his PBP, but I also like the fact that he doesn't take himself too seriously. The clowning around & freewheeling with Eddie is what make them a great broadcast team.

+1.
I appreciate knowing exactly when it is "tree-tirty-tree in da tird."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Godfella wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

+1.
I appreciate knowing exactly when it is "tree-tirty-tree in da tird."

I want to punch him in the head. Really irritating.