It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Curious thanks for the tip on The War on Drugs. I am enjoying the album. There is a bit of a Tom Petty
feel to some of the songs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:42 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
immessedup17 wrote:
Take up every bit of those 750 allowed vertical pixels, you badass.

What an odd thing to be a little bitch about. :roll:
I so sow-wy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:50 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Bagels wrote:
its probably what you'd expect- super slick, smooth, tight grooves...the song w/ Daft Punk could have been off Daft Punk's album
very dancey

i like it , but i never know how to process this sort of stuff . feels disposable

pharrell writes feel good dancey disco funk type stuff. that's what he does...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
Bagels wrote:
its probably what you'd expect- super slick, smooth, tight grooves...the song w/ Daft Punk could have been off Daft Punk's album
very dancey

i like it , but i never know how to process this sort of stuff . feels disposable

yeah, i know
it just seems like something that sounds good, is enjoyable to listen to...but ultimately will never have me saying "damn i really want to listen to that album right now"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:06 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
you probably won't. the n.e.r.d. stuff is always better anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
shirtless driver wrote:
I so sow-wy.

You don't think it is a bit obnoxious?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Jobu
The old standby.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:17 am 

Bagels wrote:
Bagels wrote:
very dancey

yeah, i know
it just seems like something that sounds good, is enjoyable to listen to...but ultimately will never have me saying "damn i really want to listen to that album right now"

Its like Funnel Cakes. They're great, but unless you see one, youre not going looking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
immessedup17 wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
I so sow-wy.

You don't think it is a bit obnoxious?

No, but I do happen to think that your posts are ALOT obnoxious.

Meow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:52 pm 

Oh Snap

HIPSTER FIGHT!!!!!

Im kidding relax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:34 pm 

you probably won't. the n.e.r.d. stuff is always better anyway.

This is true

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
oh yeah, i havent heard this album in a few years so i gotta give it a spin.... it was recommended to me by ex-friend and chicago underground rapper robust who said that this album was likely the prehistoric version of my "IDM" (read: post-aphex-twin-music) that i love (as always click on the album cover to be transported to a youtube of the best song on the album)

yeah i think this thing came out as one of those rare/ish 16" records? it was freaking huge.... and well, if memory serves i used to get frustrated/bored with a lot of the tracks but that dreams one (that i linked to) is utterly fantastic.... a bit longform as it's a 7-8min song, but man by the end it's rocking the fuck out and the drummer in the stark reality is just.... * hats off * cuz that man can get the song rolling. the guitarwork tends to be a bit jazzy in nature, or at least since i'm not a guitar-driven-music-guy i call it "jazzy" in that the riffs tend to ebb and flow and evolve over time and as such the music tries to constantly expand outward like tetsuo near the end of akira, as opposed to many a rock song where you're trying to grab a catchy riff that literally embodies the "sex"of the song/groove and ride it out with memorable lyrics to drive the point home.

also near the end of that song "dreams" you hear the hoagy carmichael's children's music lyriics which crack me up.... but man that hoagy carmichael lived a full life.... i can even go to my 97 year old grandpa and be like "do you know hoagy carmichael?" and he'll snap back "stardust!" --- indeed, i think the etymology of this album is that he kicked the bucket in the late 60s / early 70s (cuz i wanna say this was ~70-72?) and when he did his son got all the rights to his music, so he went out and got his favorite jazz/ish band the stark reality to do versions of all of dad's old intellectual property, and yeah, the result is as follows. good stuff that an avowedly-not-guitar-driven-music-guy can vouch for.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
The stuff from it that I've heard on the radio is okay, but I never really got into Beck, so it's hard for me to work up any emotion.

funny story i once read about mr. beck hansen.... as you might or might not know, both of his parents are true-believer scientologists, even though beck Himself actively goes out of his way to downplay/not-talk-about that..... but yeah, i guess as he was coming up in the musical world he wanted an "authentic" musical experience, although it's quite fair to conjecture that scientology was fully behind him and willing to support him, because one of his buddies told a story where they were down and out of cash and him and beck were sitting in the new york subway begging for change to get to wherever they were going or get food or something..... and then at some point during the panhandling beck had to grab something out of his pocket and casually/matter-of-factly moved a stack of $100 bills aside to get whatever it was out of his pocket and this guy was "DUDE WTF YOU'VE BEEN HOLDING OUT ON ME!?!?!?" and beck was like "uhhhh..... oh yeah. sorry dude i just wanted to hang out" and yeah, suffice to say for that day only they gave up on the panhandling and then beck was very quick to never accidentally brandish $1000-2000 in front of his friends again, as he resumed being "poor" / "struggling" / "up and coming" beck.

so yeah idk what you think about scientologists (cuz with all of the negative media coverage, clearly there has to be a counterpoint to where they're really an upstanding group of citizens who has their beliefs, sure, but they're not all fucked up and dangerous cult members as you believe.... i mean you know the proverbial happy medium is usually true when you come across a person and/or group who gets 100% slanted/biased media coverage like that) however it seems to be a fair point to say that they've invested in beck cuz if he ever was willing to eventually come out and say "hey you lot like me and look, i'm a cool/happy/functional well-balanced scientologist!" it could be a massive bit of positive PR for them.... however idk if he's ever really embraced that aspect of his past/life, though it'd be fair to assume that when he was having his early days he was never as skint/destitute/whatever as the legend would say..... he was always backed up by LRH/miscavige's coffers because they knew having him ultimately succeed, even if his ties to scientology were (veritable) urban legend, was some of the best PR they could get.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:13 pm 

My first stab at a Grateful Dead album. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
T-Bone wrote:

My first stab at a Grateful Dead album. Should be interesting.

My guy!

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
sinicalypse wrote:
he was always backed up by LRH/miscavige's coffers because they knew having him ultimately succeed, even if his ties to scientology were (veritable) urban legend, was some of the best PR they could get.

I don't know about this one. It's hardly as if Scientology lacks for successful famous people who do well. I mean, they'd have to be investing in dozens of people. My guess is that his parents' families were a quite a bit better off than he let on. It's sort of like how the inability to traditionally monetize rock music has taken it from a populist pursuit to a hobby for twentysomething children of the wealthy, because no one else can afford to live that life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:24 am 

Revisiting some Tortoise and Isotope 217, more importantly the Isotope 217. Man, I forgot how good some of this could be. Check out "Harm-O-Lodge" off Who Stole the I Walkman? This track sounds like what 21st c. Frank Zappa might have sounded like. That's definitely his kind of guitar line, followed by some circa-Waka/Jawaka trumpet noodling, all grafted on some Stereolab-esque grooves and bleep-bloops. Sure, some of their tracks are just wastes of time, but when they get it right, like this one or "La Jeteé," they get it right.

TELL JORR I SAID THAT. TELL HIM I SAID THAT!

EDIT: oh, and of course "LUH," whose organ blasts remind me of the best/worst of Get Up With It back to haunt me once more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:34 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
Revisiting some Tortoise and Isotope 217, more importantly the Isotope 217. Man, I forgot how good some of this could be. Check out "Harm-O-Lodge" off Who Stole the I Walkman? This track sounds like what 21st c. Frank Zappa might have sounded like. That's definitely his kind of guitar line, followed by some circa-Waka/Jawaka trumpet noodling, all grafted on some Stereolab-esque grooves and bleep-bloops. Sure, some of their tracks are just wastes of time, but when they get it right, like this one or "La Jeteé," they get it right.

TELL JORR I SAID THAT. TELL HIM I SAID THAT!

Johnny "Machine" Herndon's best band was Precious Wax Drippings back in the 80s:

https://soundcloud.com/pat-daly-1/empir ... ious-wax-1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:36 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:27 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
immessedup17 wrote:

that's an awful band name

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:42 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

:thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:44 pm 

Shame the B-sides from The Bends never got a proper EP like the ones off OK Computer and Hail to the Thief. "How Can You Be Sure?" and "Maquiladora" are hidden gems, and "Talk Show Host" is a classic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Shame the B-sides from The Bends never got a proper EP like the ones off OK Computer and Hail to the Thief. "How Can You Be Sure?" and "Maquiladora" are hidden gems, and "Talk Show Host" is a classic.

I just could never make it to Kid A

They started losing me with Ok, Computer. But partly because I had them compartmentalized as a straight rock band.

It was a long time ago. Maybe Ill give it another shot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:52 pm 

OK Computer is a pretty straight-ahead album other than "Fitter Happier," which isn't even credited as a full track on the back of the case. Maybe it was out there for 1997, but there's really nothing that unorthodox about it today. Usually there are guitars. Sometimes there are keyboards. The lyrics are kind of hard to figure out at first. It's closer to The Bends (particularly "Planet Telex") than it is to Kid A, which I'll give you as a bit of a departure, but definitely worth a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:54 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
OK Computer is a pretty straight-ahead album other than "Fitter Happier," which isn't even credited as a full track on the back of the case. Maybe it was out there for 1997, but there's really nothing that unorthodox about it today. Usually there are guitars. Sometimes there are keyboards. The lyrics are kind of hard to figure out at first. It's closer to The Bends (particularly "Planet Telex") than it is to Kid A, which I'll give you as a bit of a departure, but definitely worth a chance.

I felt like Ok Computer was halfway between The Bends and Kid A

I liked Ok Computer actually, but you could see where they were going.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:59 pm 

I don't think there's much there at all that anticipates Kid A. Even How Am I Driving? doesn't hint much. Maybe the quarter-tone strings on "Climbing Up The Walls" leading to "How to Disappear Completely," and maybe "In Limbo" is like a dissociated "Subterranean Homesick Alien," but a lot of Kid A and Amnesiac seems to have appeared with no warning. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that anything they had done would have led to "Idioteque."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:01 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't think there's much there at all that anticipates Kid A. Even How Am I Driving? doesn't hint much. Maybe the quarter-tone strings on "Climbing Up The Walls" leading to "How to Disappear Completely," and maybe "In Limbo" is like a dissociated "Subterranean Homesick Alien," but a lot of Kid A and Amnesiac seems to have appeared with no warning. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that anything they had done would have led to "Idioteque."

Maybe the title got into my subconscious and I took it to mean they were giving in to electronic music.

Fitter happier more productive in the robot voice, as you mentioned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 185  Next