It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:34 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If they can win a game in the tournament and then make a nice run in the NIT I'll be really happy with this team.

Forget that noise. There's magic about to happen.

:lol:

JORR weren't you the guy arguing not too long back that Illinois basketball was like a 2nd tier team?

2nd tier teams are not happy with NIT years.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If they can win a game in the tournament and then make a nice run in the NIT I'll be really happy with this team.

Forget that noise. There's magic about to happen.

:lol:

JORR weren't you the guy arguing not too long back that Illinois basketball was like a 2nd tier team?

2nd tier teams are not happy with NIT years.

Once in a while they do. This team is exactly what I thought. Plus theyre finishing up strong and Nunn and Hill have developed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:10 pm 

I'm really expecting the Illini to do well in this tournament.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
good dolphin wrote:
I'm really expecting the Illini to do well in this tournament.

wrong

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Survive and advance, Walt.

That coach for BU looked like a black version of Groce.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Nice comeback v #7 ranked NIT team. Next stop Final four!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:
Nice comeback v #7 ranked NIT team. Next stop Final four!

Yes! And the top seed in our half of the bracket lost. Oskee Wow-Wow!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:10 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Some pretty awful basketball there but they turned the screws defensively and pulled it out. I
think we will see some of that today in the big dance. Teams playing down to their competition,
but a few of them won't be able to come to their senses in time like the Illini did. They showed
a little intestinal fortitude with that one. I hope BigFan isn't setting himself up for a big Arizona
banana peel slip early. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:37 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Tracy Abrams tore his ACL, probably looking at a red-shirt year.

So, the Illini will be starting a 5'7" PG.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:40 pm 

Laurence?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove

Don't forget about the transfers Cosby and Starks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Irish Boy wrote:
There is no conceivable universe in which Groce is a better hire than Beckman. That's insanity. Carry on.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:54 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Don't forget about the transfers Cosby and Starks.

Starks is the guy I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Don't worry. Tate will be the bridge to Brunson.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:19 pm 

I'm guessing that Rayvonte Rice is going to go by "Rayvonte" this season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:
There is no conceivable universe in which Groce is a better hire than Beckman. That's insanity. Carry on.

That's an all-timer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:25 am 

Rosy article about the Illini in Sun Times today.... sounds like they need some bigs to round out class

Illini Nation was in celebration mode Tuesday, a run of 11th-hour disappointments in recruiting finally having come to a blessed end. Jalen Coleman-Lands, a combo guard from Indianapolis ranked among the top three dozen players in the Class of 2015 by nearly every national recruiting service, pledged his commitment to John Groce and Illinois, becoming the highest-rated player to say yes to the program since Groce arrived in Champaign in 2012.

Along with Simeon swingman D.J. Williams and Plainfield East shooting guard Aaron Jordan, Coleman-Lands — considered one of the best three-point threats in the country — gives the Illini a 2015 class that’s already a near-lock for a top-10 ranking. Point guard Jawun Evans and power forward Elijah Thomas, elite players from Texas, both continue to have Illinois high on their lists. The potential is there for Groce to corral what would instantly be considered the No. 1 class in program history.

So you’ll have to excuse Illini fans if they’re a bit over-the-top with giddiness for what’s to come beginning two seasons from now. Who can fault them for closing their eyes and seeing flashes of 1989 and 2005 and newly cut-down nets? Better days are coming, and fast. Right now, hearing the names of the ones that got away — Cliff Alexander, Quentin Snider, Jalen Brunson — hardly even stings.

For Starks, it’s now or never

You know what stung Illini Nation a little? Watching its team lose 15 times last season. Watching it stumble for eight consecutive Big Ten games and finish 7-11 in league play, tied for eighth place, and miss the NCAA tournament. Big things weren’t necessarily expected of Groce’s second Illini team, but fans certainly hoped for better.

The news last week of senior point guard Tracy Abrams’ injured anterior cruciate ligament stung, too. Abrams, a three-year starter, will miss the entire season, casting doubt upon the Illini’s chances to do in 2014-15 what so many now expect them to do the following season and beyond. Will Year 3 under Groce be more than just a forgettable bridge on the road to better times ahead?

Enter Ahmad Starks and Jaylon Tate. Before we see the influx of blue-chip perimeter players in Champaign, we’ll get one season from Starks, a senior who sat out last season after transferring from Oregon State, and a prove-it-or-lose-it sophomore campaign for Tate, who moves into a larger role after Abrams’ injury. Both are from Chicago — Starks from Whitney Young, Tate from Simeon — and they’re the only point guards on Groce’s roster.

‘‘Neither one of them, by any means, is a soft guy,’’ Groce said. ‘‘But would I like for both of them to be a little bit tougher? Yeah. I’ve coached 20 years, and Tracy is in that top echelon of tough guys.’’

The question isn’t so much if they can replace Abrams, who starred at Mount Carmel. It’s will they allow Groce to tweak the Illini offense so it more closely resembles what he ran with success at Ohio? Groce loves players who dribble and pass like point guards yet stroke it like shooting guards. Starks is exactly that sort of guy. Tate is working hard to get there. Abrams is more of a rabid defender and crafty penetrator, probably not a natural fit for what Groce endeavors to do.

Starks, 22, is Oregon State’s all-time leader in three-pointers made (185). In the Princeton offense former Beavers coach Craig Robinson ran, Starks didn’t get to do a lot of creating for others, but he says he’s merely an improved version of the player who averaged more than six assists a game as a senior at Young and was named first-team all-state by the Sun-Times.

‘‘I’m a point guard,’’ he said. ‘‘I’m a point guard who can shoot.’’

By the end of his third solid season at OSU, Starks knew Robinson’s system wasn’t quite for him. And he longed to be closer to his grandmother, Mazola Robinson, in Chicago. Robinson, suffering from the effects of Alzheimer’s and dementia, helped raise Starks.

‘‘He sits with my mom now, and it’s a wonderful thing,’’ said Don Starks, Ahmad’s father. ‘‘Though she doesn’t always know he’s there, she feels it. She may not know his name at times, but she feels him there.’’

Starks is happier in Groce’s system, too.

‘‘There’s a huge difference,” he said. ‘‘It’s a different vibe from the coaching staff. Everything is more difficult, more intense, but in a better way. It’s very good for me.’’

Tate goes to work

Tate played double-digit minutes in every nonconference game as a freshman, when he was Abrams’ primary backup. By season’s end, he was scarcely seeing the floor. His slight frame made it difficult for him to finish plays on the offensive end. His shooting and decision-making weren’t ready for prime time, either.

He believes he has largely remade himself during the offseason. Comfortable for the first time in the weight room, Tate has added more than 10 pounds of muscle. Determined like never before to work on refining the individual parts of his game, he made 14,000 perimeter jump shots during one eight-week period.

If Tate doesn’t prove to Groce that — with Abrams watching from the bench — he is needed on the court for long stretches in games, too, it might signal the end of his opportunity to be a difference-maker at Illinois. Because we all know this roster is going to look a whole lot different in 2015-16.

‘‘It’s like Coach Groce has always told us,’’ Tate said. ‘‘When your number is called, you’ve got to show up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:31 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Point guard Jawun Evans and power forward Elijah Thomas, elite players from Texas, both continue to have Illinois high on their lists. The potential is there for Groce to corral what would instantly be considered the No. 1 class in program history.

If they get those two guys, even I might have to relent on my legendary pessimism regarding Illini buckets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:43 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Point guard Jawun Evans and power forward Elijah Thomas, elite players from Texas, both continue to have Illinois high on their lists. The potential is there for Groce to corral what would instantly be considered the No. 1 class in program history.

If they get those two guys, even I might have to relent on my legendary pessimism regarding Illini buckets.

I would like to see Dr. Ken unleash the Illini meatball sleeping deep inside. :alien:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:45 am 

T-Bone wrote:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:48 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:49 am 

RFDC wrote:
Even worse than that.....Indiana might have a better coach.

:lol: Oh Doc. You could only dream of having Tom Crean at Illinois.
Ouch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:58 pm 

Elijah Thomas to announce on Oct 21st. Let's hope Groce doesn't whiff on this guy.

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/illin ... ocid=yahoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:34 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Elijah Thomas to announce on Oct 21st. Let's hope Groce doesn't whiff on this guy.

I'm not optimistic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:47 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:

I'm not optimistic.

:lol: I don't think it's funny but I would have to agree that there hasn't been much reason to feel
like this is going to work out for the Illini. I would have to admit they are probably the best "basketball"
school from his list. Why would a big time recruit like this not have the really big boys going after him
unless they are all filled up for that particular class?

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... mas-video/

My initial thoughts after watching the tape is that he is pretty husky and could probably trim down a bit and
work on his fitness. He is not ultra fleet of foot but handles the ball decently. Very limited range but I wouldn't
mind seeing a big body down low for once. Igwu shooting 3's can get maddening at his size. This guy appears
like he wouldn't mind gathering rebounds and posting up down low.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:36 pm 

Supposedly, Juwan Evans and Elijah Thomas were looking to go to Illinois as a pair. But after Abrams tore his ACL (which means he will be back next season) and Jalen Coleman signed on, Evans decided to change his mind and go to Oklahoma State. Thomas was considered a lock for Illinois until that happened. Now the feeling is he will go to Okie State.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:32 pm 

Big day tomorrow.

Another big-time national recruit is going to pick a school over Illinois.

Should be Texas A&M this time playing the role of Kansas, Indiana, Villanova, Oklahoma State......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

Maybe someone can call him and ask for a paper on why he is correct ......still.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm 

‏@IlliniNationNet
Have been informed that Elijah Thomas told Illini coaches they are NOT his choice.

Shocking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 pm 

ugh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next