It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Mac wrote:
Let's not get too hung up on the amateur athlete thing.... maybe that just came out because it drives home what I'm trying to say and that's this: a high percentage of guys in sports media are colossal pussies who can dish it out but never can take it. It's been getting under my skin more and more as time passes.

You just described your radio partner. He's brutal Mac.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Mac wrote:
I used to be way oversensitive.... needed people to agree with me.... predicated my happiness on how "popular" my shows were. That changed in August of '07. A book I read about how we view ourselves changed my outlook on life. I couldn't care less who agrees with me... who likes me or my show. That's all out of my control. The only people whose opinions of me that truly matter are those held by my family and friends.

Mac, will you please share the title & author? I am interested...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:09 am 

Godfella wrote:
Mac wrote:
I used to be way oversensitive.... needed people to agree with me.... predicated my happiness on how "popular" my shows were. That changed in August of '07. A book I read about how we view ourselves changed my outlook on life. I couldn't care less who agrees with me... who likes me or my show. That's all out of my control. The only people whose opinions of me that truly matter are those held by my family and friends.

Mac, will you please share the title & author? I am interested...

Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Godfella wrote:
[Mac, will you please share the title & author? I am interested...

I'm curious myself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 am 

"Drama Of The Gifted Child" by Dr. Alice Miller. Published first in '79 but it stands up. I bought a copy for Marc Silverman years ago and got one for Spiegel last fall. I don't think either has read it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 am 

touch 'em all RPB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 am 

Mac wrote:
"Drama Of The Gifted Child" by Dr. Alice Miller. Published first in '79 but it stands up. I bought a copy for Marc Silverman years ago and got one for Spiegel last fall. I don't think either has read it yet.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Mac wrote:

you should try out the illuminatus! trilogy sometime. it's a truly brilliant book for "the gifted child" that you can't read in public because people look at you awash in consummate joy and think "what the fuck is wrong with him?"

hell, if you are THE kind of person who will PIRATE the occasional BAYwatch season or two, the e-book is under 3mb and you'd have it in under a minute.

* whistles dixie *

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
HOW ABOUT SOME SOLUTIONS ?????

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Mac wrote:
Let's not get too hung up on the amateur athlete thing.... maybe that just came out because it drives home what I'm trying to say and that's this: a high percentage of guys in sports media are colossal pussies who can dish it out but never can take it. It's been getting under my skin more and more as time passes.

I agree with this, this whole thread and it's so called payoff was a let down....how abouy giving us some actual juicy details of stuff and things? Rosendouche getting mad at twitter isn't getting me hard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Just to come at this from another perspective, I'll aver that Feder has treated DeCastro with the softest of kid gloves since the Tribune brought him on. Despite all the drama surrounding 670/1000, WGN is always going to be The Story as far as local radio goes. Sometimes I feel like as far as Feder and Larz are concerned, WGN is Chicago radio here and beyond, and so the quality of the station is always of foremost concern. Of course, PPMs shattered the myth that people actually listen to WGN when the Cubs don't play, but this idea has continued nevertheless.

Obviously, with this WGN obsession in mind, when Randy Michaels came in and took a hot bubbly shit on everyone and everything that could be shat upon, it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, particularly Feder, who eventually grave-danced for Michaels's initial firing, the failure of FM News, and finally the sale of his stations to Cumulus. He made a lot of terrible changes at what broadcasting geeks consider a broadcasting institution, and was a real prick about it. Now, mind you, hindsight has vindicated Randy just a little: yeah, Kathy and Judy had to go, Steve Cochran didn't really have anything to say, they had to have more creative weekend programming than Steve Dale's Pet Fetish or whatever it was called. But still, he took a fading station and drove it into the ground, and that upset people on some greater level than if someone had come in and fucked up WLS (which has happened, but like I'm saying here, has drawn comparatively little attention).

So when Tom Langmyer resumed control of the station and then DeCastro came in, Feder and Larz both acted like they were perfect men who could do no wrong and would restore their precious WGN to its previous greatness. DeCastro hasn't; in fact, all he's done is restore WGN to its previous fading mediocrity by reinstating the aforementioned hosts that Randy Michaels fired. But because they worked themselves up into such tizzies over Randy Michaels and his poker parties of debauchery, they can't double back and say that wait a minute, maybe bringing back Steve Cochran and Bill Leff and dredging up Bob Sirott for his third or fourth tour of duty is not the best way to build a station, especially when you're (correctly) hailed as a radio visionary. This is all to say nothing of the pre-ESPN 1000 reunion tour that The Game has been, trying to build a station in 2014 on Harry Teinowitz, Dave Kaplan, and Spike Manton, whoever that guy even is.

With all this in mind, then, I can see where Rosenbloom is coming from in terms of feeling wronged by the Tribune and also Feder (who is now a partner of the Tribune). Whether Steve Rosenbloom deserves a daily talk show on a sports talk station is debatable (and I'm leaning toward no; he wears out bits like I wear out my running shoes), but it has to feel frustrating to be spurned by your own newspaper while similar co-workers and radio retreads get gigs, as all the while the media columnist (who also works for your paper) is engaged in a constant blowjob for the guy who turned you down. Is this fair?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:27 am 

I attribute all that I am today to the regular skewering I received in the Daily Wolfpack back in high school. Fuckers used to show up to my home the night after a game, put lighted poop bags on my front door and spray paint nasty things on the driveway. Luckily the pre law society and ACLU club got involved to end my pain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Darkside, bigfan, and Don Tiny were all particularly special in this thread. Well done, gents?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:50 am 

come on, dolphin. you know that's not what i'm saying. funny post though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:51 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I earned 3 Varsity Golf letters.

Don't fuck with me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:55 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Don't fuck with me.

I had 4, I win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:58 am 

Mac wrote:
come on, dolphin. you know that's not what i'm saying. funny post though.

I know.

I always thought Harry's biggest problem was having adoring parents. No one ever had the courage to tell him he wasn't funny and maybe should think of an alternate career path. We are the one's who have had to pay for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: LouMal
Grimace did go hard on Twitter against the guy from Kansas City who tweeted something without giving Grimace credit

Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670
Hey @sportsnutStu, Stuart Pollack, don't try to work anywhere I'm ever employed. Or where a boss knows me. The reference will be bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
Just to come at this from another perspective, I'll aver that Feder has treated DeCastro with the softest of kid gloves since the Tribune brought him on. Despite all the drama surrounding 670/1000, WGN is always going to be The Story as far as local radio goes. Sometimes I feel like as far as Feder and Larz are concerned, WGN is Chicago radio here and beyond, and so the quality of the station is always of foremost concern. Of course, PPMs shattered the myth that people actually listen to WGN when the Cubs don't play, but this idea has continued nevertheless.

Obviously, with this WGN obsession in mind, when Randy Michaels came in and took a hot bubbly shit on everyone and everything that could be shat upon, it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, particularly Feder, who eventually grave-danced for Michaels's initial firing, the failure of FM News, and finally the sale of his stations to Cumulus. He made a lot of terrible changes at what broadcasting geeks consider a broadcasting institution, and was a real prick about it. Now, mind you, hindsight has vindicated Randy just a little: yeah, Kathy and Judy had to go, Steve Cochran didn't really have anything to say, they had to have more creative weekend programming than Steve Dale's Pet Fetish or whatever it was called. But still, he took a fading station and drove it into the ground, and that upset people on some greater level than if someone had come in and fucked up WLS (which has happened, but like I'm saying here, has drawn comparatively little attention).

So when Tom Langmyer resumed control of the station and then DeCastro came in, Feder and Larz both acted like they were perfect men who could do no wrong and would restore their precious WGN to its previous greatness. DeCastro hasn't; in fact, all he's done is restore WGN to its previous fading mediocrity by reinstating the aforementioned hosts that Randy Michaels fired. But because they worked themselves up into such tizzies over Randy Michaels and his poker parties of debauchery, they can't double back and say that wait a minute, maybe bringing back Steve Cochran and Bill Leff and dredging up Bob Sirott for his third or fourth tour of duty is not the best way to build a station, especially when you're (correctly) hailed as a radio visionary. This is all to say nothing of the pre-ESPN 1000 reunion tour that The Game has been, trying to build a station in 2014 on Harry Teinowitz, Dave Kaplan, and Spike Manton, whoever that guy even is.

With all this in mind, then, I can see where Rosenbloom is coming from in terms of feeling wronged by the Tribune and also Feder (who is now a partner of the Tribune). Whether Steve Rosenbloom deserves a daily talk show on a sports talk station is debatable (and I'm leaning toward no; he wears out bits like I wear out my running shoes), but it has to feel frustrating to be spurned by your own newspaper while similar co-workers and radio retreads get gigs, as all the while the media columnist (who also works for your paper) is engaged in a constant blowjob for the guy who turned you down. Is this fair?

this is why dude should make it a clean sweep of march madness winner, poster of the year, and all of that semi-/related junk. CH brings it as a bonafide "thing knowing motherfucker" when he loads up and throws some 98mph cheese on the black of the plate low and away.

WGN always strikes me as hallowed ground, but i've never had a life boring enough to require listening to it. maybe when nick D did the movie reviews saturdays @ 11pm/midnight i'd try to remember to tune in, otherwise my little brother saying that he uses WGN as background noise to fall asleep at night = about right. don't even get me started on milt rosenberg, who i'm pretty sure my 90something grandfather would turn off and say "i'm not old enough for that show."

btw CH, for me the absolute epitome-of/one-image-that-symbolizes the randy michaels era was when i read that he got caught throwing parties in colonel mccormick's personal office, including that oh-so-damning part where he specifically went and lit up a stogie in the old man's office. that's symbolically taking a big shit all over the holistic/hallowed legacy of the tribune empire right there, and once i read about that i knew the guy was toast and that a lot of oldschool people would do everything in their power to make sure the guy is nothing but a complete abject failure for the rest of his time in chicago, let alone @tribune.

TL;DR = CH rules and don't fuck with col mccormick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:03 pm 

Buster wrote:
Grimace did go hard on Twitter against the guy from Kansas City who tweeted something without giving Grimace credit

Hey @sportsnutStu, Stuart Pollack, don't try to work anywhere I'm ever employed. Or where a boss knows me. The reference will be bad.
:lol: Thank you for that hilarious reminder.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
good dolphin wrote:
I attribute all that I am today to the regular skewering I received in the Daily Wolfpack back in high school. Fuckers used to show up to my home the night after a game, put lighted poop bags on my front door and spray paint nasty things on the driveway. Luckily the pre law society and ACLU club got involved to end my pain.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:06 pm 

In the great Sock Hop dance between being sports writers and sports radio hosts, for every writer who has declined the invite to be on the airwaves there are three who wish/believe that they can do radio better than the radio professionals and are bitter that they didn't get asked to dance. After all, there are no Mike North types churning out 700 words of geniusness on a regular basis.

The conventional thought is that because writers have the capacity to form such regular thoughts, and to brag that only a fraction of what they think makes it to print, that they have an abundance of thought and opinion that can be verbally shared on a regularly basis. The problem becomes that when they speak, or how they speak, isn't always suited for radio. Some sound better when setup questions are softly lobbed at them, others if sitting at the end of a bar after the second Scotch has been ordered. Then some need to not be heard. And this is talking mostly about the good writers, sports or otherwise.

The launch of a new radio station, or media outlet, creates opportunity and that is a good thing for all, especially consumers. Those who are established should welcome the competition and those who are seeking an opportunity should recognize the rarity of the event and exploit it to its fullest. If the new station declines to extend an offer, or declines the overtures made, the proper response isn't to cry but to go about proving them wrong. That is unless one knows they're on a sinking ship or the express train to bolivian, or that the secrets they have or know aren't going to remain secret much longer.

Listeners don't care about the name of the station manager or the program director or the show's executive producer, so beyond those in the industry and those with an affinity for such information Rob Feder is a limited body of work that is most important reporting what has transpired and of marginal importance as to what should transpire. Listeners don't really care about ratings except when what they are listening to might be cancelled or when they are listening to the acknowledged #1 (most people like to be a part of a winner). The Internet and new measuring methods have pushed people like Feder to the periphery. So if Rosenbloom is seeking praise/support from Feder then he is probably wishing for the days of being included in the measure of a newspaper's circulation as opposed to page hits for what he offers.

Perhaps the simplest explanation is that the new station/media outlet intends to carve out a market segment and doesn't want a certain type of existing host or sound. When the coach thinks they can win without you, you either get better or get out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
No Clever Moniker wrote:
Perhaps the simplest explanation is that the new station/media outlet intends to carve out a market segment and doesn't want a certain type of existing host or sound. When the coach thinks they can win without you, you either get better or get out.

It is obvious they are going for very earnest radio. They don't wany any cynicism, snarkiness, or criticism. You can have it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:11 pm 

Mac wrote:
It relates to skin thickener, Krazy Ivan. As a teenager, if one is subjected to harsh criticism -- especially the kind that is doled out to football players -- he becomes immuned to taking criticisms personally. Yes, Uncle Rico is here to share that long-standing belief. I'm not saying it can't happen elsewhere, but being even an amateur athlete conditions one to receiving criticism better.

When you're told you're a piece of shit by men in authoritative positions, what Robert Feder writes or doesn't write shouldn't ruffle ones feathers. Yes....Rosenbloom. Telling Spiegel he didn't go HARD ENOUGH on Feder on Twitter. Why? Because Feder merely was reporting "news" at The Game. He offered no opinion on it either way. I called him on it (this was all off the air) and Rosey went on a tirade -- voiced raised, veins popping out of his neck -- about how Feder never has taken on Jimmy deCastro for anything and how his reporting of sportsradio never has been "fair." I think most sportsradio guys have handled sports media writers by being way oversensitive. And we call athletes, coaches and management types oversensitive. That's the biggest "Who You Crappin? " ever.

There is a lot of truth to what Mac says about high school football practice and how the coaches were back in those days.

I experienced the same coaching techniques that Mac described - as I'm sure most of you 50-ish guys have.

As a veteran, I can tell you that boot camp was also a very humbling experience as well and was very much like the 2 a day practices and harsh treatment by superiors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
sinicalypse wrote:
btw CH, for me the absolute epitome-of/one-image-that-symbolizes the randy michaels era was when i read that he got caught throwing parties in colonel mccormick's personal office, including that oh-so-damning part where he specifically went and lit up a stogie in the old man's office. that's symbolically taking a big shit all over the holistic/hallowed legacy of the tribune empire right there, and once i read about that i knew the guy was toast and that a lot of oldschool people would do everything in their power to make sure the guy is nothing but a complete abject failure for the rest of his time in chicago, let alone @tribune.

TL;DR = CH rules and don't fuck with col mccormick.

Jews running wild in Tribune Tower? The horror, the horror.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
No Clever Moniker wrote:
The conventional thought is that because writers have the capacity to form such regular thoughts, and to brag that only a fraction of what they think makes it to print, that they have an abundance of thought and opinion that can be verbally shared on a regularly basis. The problem becomes that when they speak, or how they speak, isn't always suited for radio. Some sound better when setup questions are softly lobbed at them, others if sitting at the end of a bar after the second Scotch has been ordered. Then some need to not be heard. And this is talking mostly about the good writers, sports or otherwise.

I'm far from a Mac ass-licker, but he's better at writing a column than any columnist is at doing radio.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:22 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Buster wrote:

:lol: Thank you for that hilarious reminder.

The guy works as a Hearing Instrument Specialist

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
If you were as fat as Grimace, you would have thin skin too. It is stretched really far.

Mac dream on about Trib company. No way they hire a lazy addict like you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hawg Ass wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Don't fuck with me.

I had 4, I win.

He started with 4, but accidentally got a hole in one ..... of the letters ..... leaving him with just 3 ..... golf pun ..... I'll see myself out ...........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Hey Mac!

Could you do some digging into why BermSTINE feela the need to completely fabricate so many of his sources? Maybe ask around about why he makes up fake people and writes emails to send to himself? Why does he do these things?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next