It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:45 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: The black youth they interviewed thinks that baseball needs more role models for black kids like the NFL has in Mike Vick and Ray Rice. Maybe they need to work on who black youth deem role models first.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
First off, there has been a tremendous influx of foreign players, so it is more about a lack of American players not just black Americans. Next, baseball numbers are way down with much less sales of equipment due to lower American participation rates. Unlike basketball, baseball is very hard to play by yourself or with a small group. Basketball lends it self to shooting alone, 1v1, 2v2, pick-up games, etc. It requires very little space.

Baseball also has a soccer problem where parents prefer to enroll their kids in soccer. The skill level required for soccer and the exercise provided by soccer, makes soccer a more attractive option for parents.

Now I am a travel baseball parent, and an absolute baseball junkie, so the situation bothers me greatly. But I can enjoy baseball even if others don't. It is my favorite sport by far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
FloydGondolli wrote:
Talking baseball in April is about as pointless as talking football in April.
Yeah. Talking about a game that ended less than 12 hours ago in pointless.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:48 am 

denisdman wrote:
First off, there has been a tremendous influx of foreign players, so it is more about a lack of American players not just black Americans. Next, baseball numbers are way down with much less sales of equipment due to lower American participation rates. Unlike basketball, baseball is very hard to play by yourself or with a small group. Basketball lends it self to shooting alone, 1v1, 2v2, pick-up games, etc. It requires very little space.

Baseball also has a soccer problem where parents prefer to enroll their kids in soccer. The skill level required for soccer and the exercise provided by soccer, makes soccer a more attractive option for parents.

Now I am a travel baseball parent, and an absolute baseball junkie, so the situation bothers me greatly. But I can enjoy baseball even if others don't. It is my favorite sport by far.

Agree with a whole lot of this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Taco Bell Mexican Pizza...mmmmm
Frank Coztansa wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:

When there's another game in 7 hours, and 160 to go after that, it is pretty much pointless.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
FloydGondolli wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:

When there's another game in 7 hours, and 160 to go after that, it is pretty much pointless.

So with that reasoning , when would it be ok to talk baseball Floyd? Playoffs? sini was right, you're coming off very Bernsteinish in this.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:54 am 

VERY IMPORTANT RADIO vibe here. Kinda tiring.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 am 

FavreFan wrote:
VERY IMPORTANT RADIO vibe here. Kinda tiring.

Yeah. Let's call out more High School Kids for their thoughts on society. Shitbags.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 am 
100000 CLUB

FloydGondolli wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:

But its OK to talk football when the first game of the season doesn't happen for four and a half months? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:02 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Travel Baseball. Travel softball - blech!

THAT is the big problem. These elitist "travel teams" started by parents who want to will their children to greatness like an USSR-Era Olympic Trainer.

This bullshit is what is killing baseball and making it less accessible to most. When we were kids, the only ones who got to "travel" were the BEST OF THE BEST, who excelled in in-house REC LEAGUE teams, got SELECTED to try out (no fucking open tryouts), and got to TRAVEL with THE BEST.

The state of baseball is fucked because of elitism and this TRAVEL bullshit.

He aint lyin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:

But its OK to talk football when the first game of the season doesn't happen for four and a half months? :lol:

Yes, football is more important than baseball. That's a fact. Just listen to the show, Mac will tell ya.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:

So with that reasoning , when would it be ok to talk baseball Floyd? Playoffs? sini was right, you're coming off very Bernsteinish in this.

Well, maybe a few weeks before the playoffs because there are pennant races to consider. I actually can't stand Bernstein and never listen anymore, but if this is a stance Bernstein has then maybe I should reconsider my thoughts on him. Maybe there's more sense in his head than I once thought.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 am 
100000 CLUB

^ pointless.

Panther, a lot of that has to do with money.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Travel baseball is the only way for your son to improve. On a typical in house team, about three kids have a clue how to pitch and field. If you want your son to stand at the plate and get walked each game, then in house baseball is for you. In travel, your son is challenged against very good players. The travel parents work with their kids, so you have engaged players across the diamond.

My son played travel and in house each of the last two years. It was a nightmare. The travel was fun and competitive, while in house was a joke. If I have to see one more kid step out of the box as soon as the ball is pitched, I am going to kill myself. And this was 11 year olds. This year we are on a travel only club team for 12u. Much better baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Travel Baseball. Travel softball - blech!

THAT is the big problem. These elitist "travel teams" started by parents who want to will their children to greatness like an USSR-Era Olympic Trainer.

This bullshit is what is killing baseball and making it less accessible to most. When we were kids, the only ones who got to "travel" were the BEST OF THE BEST, who excelled in in-house REC LEAGUE teams, got SELECTED to try out (no fucking open tryouts), and got to TRAVEL with THE BEST.

The state of baseball is fucked because of elitism and this TRAVEL bullshit.

He aint lyin

This has been discussed many times on here and I don't agree with all of that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
FloydGondolli wrote:
Yes, football is more important than baseball.

More important to illiterates. I don't think the fact that people have gotten dumber and more opinionated and football has risen in popularity are unconnected.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Travel baseball is the only way for your son to improve. On a typical in house team, about three kids have a clue how to pitch and field. If you want your son to stand at the plate and get walked each game, then in house baseball is for you. In travel, your son is challenged against very good players. The travel parents work with their kids, so you have engaged players across the diamond.

My son played travel and in house each of the last two years. It was a nightmare. The travel was fun and competitive, while in house was a joke. If I have to see one more kid step out of the box as soon as the ball is pitched, I am going to kill myself. And this was 11 year olds. This year we are on a travel only club team for 12u. Much better baseball.

But what is your goal, really? If you're that serious about a kid playing baseball, you have to get him out of the Midwest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 am 

:lol: I remember that Cubs game Stoney is referencing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
denisdman wrote:

Exactly.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:19 am 
100000 CLUB

A lot of it has to do with the parents, the coaching (more often, the lackthereof), and the participation ribbon environment that has been created.

I went to a game last to watch my little cousin's team. It was 10-11 year olds. My cousin pitched, and he's pretty good but he is by no means overpowering. He was giving up a lot of hits, but he was also throwing strikes. Of course its the "everybody must play rule" (which I agree with for Tball, but byt 9, 10, 11 you play to win the game) so later in the game this kid comes up looking scared to death, looks at 4 pitches and strikes out. As he's walking back to the bench his Mom is literally giving him a standing ovation telling him how hard he tried and what a good job he did. Fuck that. I'm not saying boo your son, but he stood there and hoped he would walk. He didn't try at all. The bat didn't leave his shoulder for a practice swing either. But stand up and cheer his effort? No. I don't care if he missed by a foot with each swing, at least that would be putting forth an effort.

I also found out that at 10-11 years old this league STILL didn't keep score. Maximum 10 batters in an inning and thats it. Seriously? Kids need to learn how to win and how to lose. At that age, keep the goddam score and do away with the everybody gets an at bat rule. That does not a damn thing worth of good for kids development.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:20 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:

More important to illiterates. I don't think the fact that people have gotten dumber and more opinionated and football has risen in popularity are unconnected.

Being the smart baseball man that you are, do you have any metrics or evidence to support your assertion that "people have gotten dumber and more opinionated" - other than this message board of course. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:21 am 

FloydGondolli wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:

Being the smart baseball man that you are, do you have any metrics or evidence to support your assertion that "people have gotten dumber and more opinionated" - other than this message board of course. :lol:

The eye test probably supports it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 am 

FavreFan wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:

The eye test probably supports it.

The eye test definitely supports it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:33 am 
Site Admin

FloydGondolli wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FloydGondolli wrote:

Isn't that enough? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The more that Shepski is allowed to speak on the air, the more I am convinced how stupid he is. This show goes a long way proving stereotypes to be true.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am 

Meat is out west with his college buddies? More time away from his boy. Interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:42 am 

Manziel's Hottie.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 am 

denisdman wrote:
Travel baseball is the only way for your son to improve.

Ok, Scoredenis.

That is completely ridiculous statement. It's on par with saying Football is the only way to learn discipline

denisdman wrote:
On a typical in house team, about three kids have a clue how to pitch and field.

Wrong again. Really Scoreheading now. Maybe your league sucks. That doesnt mean every league everywhere sucks.

Anyway, I think travelling before age 12 is dumb anyway. The way it was in the 80's and prior was fine. You play in your little league from 7-11 and around 12-13 everyone knows who the serious kids are and arent and you build your one travelling team.

Overzealous parents (not speaking of anyone here) dont want to play by that system because their kid is good, dammit!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Manziel's Hottie.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:44 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Manziel's Hottie.

Ryan Miller still got the edge IMO.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next