It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This is Mac's last week of shows before his contract expires. While he's dropped hints that he is staying and The Score (Mitch Rosen, in particular) have been loyal to him through thick and thin, maybe there are other options?

Hard to see The McNeil and Spiegel Show not continuing. But, we'll see. Maybe in a different time slot...?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:46 pm 

RadioNerd wrote:
This is Mac's last week of shows before his contract expires. While he's dropped hints that he is staying and The Score (Mitch Rosen, in particular) have been loyal to him through thick and thin, maybe there are other options?

Hard to see The McNeil and Spiegel Show not continuing. But, we'll see. Maybe in a different time slot...?

You're not getting his spot Learrry. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:23 pm 

I kinda hope Mac goes to "The Game", just to get a new partner to work beside. if he leaves The Score, the station's ratings will likely take a major (salute) hit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
In the end I think Mac ends up back at the Score if the money between the Score and The Game is similar.

The Game has Devin McGorty and alex whatshisname, so they are fine,.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:12 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
bigfan wrote:
In the end I think Mac ends up back at the Score if the money between the Score and The Game is similar.

The Game has Devin McGorty and alex whatshisname, so they are fine,.

Yeah, if the money is close,close I don't think he gives up his ability to take a half the year off and such, plus the comfortability of his current gig is hard to beat. He still wants afternoons, though and that may be enough to pull him over to The Game.

We shall see.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
If he comes back there is no way he continues to work with grimace...........is there?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:29 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
If he comes back there is no way he continues to work with grimace...........is there?

I would hope not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
RadioNerd wrote:

I haven't heard Mac drop any hints that indicated that he might be staying at The Score. To the contrary, the hints I have heard sounded like he was moving on. Then again I didn't listen most of last week. As a fan of change & shakups, I hope Mac goes to the game with Finji & Goff in the afternoons.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 am 

You make it sound like he knows what he is doing. I am 100% sure he doesnt know.

He knows he is going fishing and then let the agent work on it.

I will say there is some loyalty to Mitch. Not that it will overcome a $100K pay differential, but it is a factor in the choice.

July without Cubs and Sox doing for Sports in chicago isnt exactly a hotbed of sportstalk.

Gotta have direction though to know which RV to sit in for bears camp!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Depends on how seriously DeCastro wants to make a splash. If he wants Mac he will overpay for him and the Score won't match it. Mac would put them on the map immediately as a player in afternoon drive. If its a 100k plus difference he'll tell Mitch adios, no loyalty there. Mac will get all the perks he already has and probably a few more. I think he's leaving.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:49 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
badrogue17 wrote:
Depends on how seriously DeCastro wants to make a splash. If he wants Mac he will overpay for him and the Score won't match it. Mac would put them on the map immediately as a player in afternoon drive. If its a 100k plus difference he'll tell Mitch adios, no loyalty there. Mac will get all the perks he already has and probably a few more. I think he's leaving.
I could easily see this happening.

Would it be MJH again though? :lol: (Mac, Jarret, Harry?)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Macs show. is the only show on the Score I will listen to. That said, I hope he goes to Wgn or the Game...it would cause the Score to clean house after one year of poor ratings ..from Mitch on down should be fired . Mac won't go to the Game though , the signal is weak as shit n he has said that publicly ...he will use em as leverage tho.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
terry made two comments about bernstein getting new paper late in Friday's show... if true, would that mean a mid-day/afternoon swap is out of the question?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnatis
bigfan wrote:
You make it sound like he knows what he is doing. I am 100% sure he doesnt know.

He knows he is going fishing and then let the agent work on it.

I will say there is some loyalty to Mitch. Not that it will overcome a $100K pay differential, but it is a factor in the choice.

July without Cubs and Sox doing for Sports in chicago isnt exactly a hotbed of sportstalk.

Gotta have direction though to know which RV to sit in for bears camp!

The show actually sounds good today, Mac with some life to him...maybe he needs to be in the last week of his contract all the time, week to week contracts, light 'em up!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm sure cooler heads will prevail - and all's well that ends well.

IMO - Jason Goff is the wild card in all of these negotiations - he's a great back up plan imo. Even though nobody gives a flying fuck about the Miami Heat except him, Bernsie ...and of course Terry just agrees with Bernsie - as that's his station in life - coasting and getting paid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:03 pm 

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
I'm sure cooler heads will prevail - and all's well that ends well.

IMO - Jason Goff is the wild card in all of these negotiations - he's a great back up plan imo. Even though nobody gives a flying fuck about the Miami Heat except him, Bernsie ...and of course Terry just agrees with Bernsie - as that's his station in life - coasting and getting paid.

You would agree too if you were in the middle of some Zzzzzzz's on your couch and someone asked if you agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

He's holding up the career of Jason George Goff, and that's a damned shame.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(

Salsa is holding up JGG's career, not the stuttering old bitch Boers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

IMO - Jason Goff is the wild card in all of these negotiations -

Goff's twittering on his separation from the Atlanta station (a CBS radio affiliate) implied he's unlikely to be welcome back to a sister CBS radio station anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Hussra wrote:

IMO - Jason Goff is the wild card in all of these negotiations -

Goff's twittering on his separation from the Atlanta station (a CBS radio affiliate) implied he's unlikely to be welcome back to a sister CBS radio station anytime soon.

His mouth has cost him some jobs.

That's for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I missed it if anyone posted the exact reason this salsa stuff got him fired.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Possible the salsa thing was a pretext for whatever the underlying/real reason(s) was/were. Figure the CBS station in Atlanta at least made a courtesy call back to Chicago to ask if WSCR wanted Goff back or if the ATL station should just go ahead and ax him. Goff said it was strange to no longer be a CBS radio employee after X number of years--implying that his true employer/writer of his paycheck in both ATL and Chicago was CBS radio. So if CBS fired him down there, they are unlikely to hire him back right away up here.

Severing a long-time employee with the intention/possibility of bringing him back a few months down the road would be an unnecessarily costly way of doing biz (UI, COBRA, severance, yadda, yadda).

Might be possible to bring back Goff as a 1099 contractor--but would either Goff or the station want Goff hanging around WSCR as a disgruntled contractor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
The Game should offer Mac, Mike North money. 1 mill baby!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's

No. He is not.

Good to see back Grid. I'm not on Facebook to catch all the selfies that folks here say you take.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Larz wrote:
As you know, CBS Radio is very tight-lipped about contracts. Those listening to the station know that one host each from the morning show, the midday show, and the afternoon show had/have contracts ending. With the hosts willing to joke about themselves, it comes up on the air once in a while.

Obviously, Bernstein is now all signed up. Most likely, the other two hosts will be soon be, as well. Not only does CBS Radio want to keep them, but the hosts are quite happy there. Additionally, CBS Radio has clauses in its deal that allows them to match any offer they might get elsewhere, on the outside chance one of the other two sports stations in town makes a big play for the Score hosts. Probably, the CBS deals placed on the table will be the best ones, since it is the most successful radio corporation in town and is doing far better in ratings and revenue than the other two stations (combined). Leaving The Score right now would be like a talented ball player wanting to play for a AAA ball club in Missouri when the New York Yankees are willing to do whatever it takes to keep that player on their team.

Good luck at the new station, Mac.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Larz wrote:
Leaving The Score right now would be like a talented ball player wanting to play for a AAA ball club in Missouri when the New York Yankees are willing to do whatever it takes to keep that player on their team.

Good luck at the new station, Mac.

Perhaps it appeals to Mac to build something again, like he once helped to do with The Score. Plus, it might mean working with someone new that he's intrigued with, or an old cohort (Harry) who he might like to work with again. If The Game offers a huge increase in salary, it might create a problem with The Score, in that matching that salary would throw off their current salary structure. Having one guy making substantially more than anyone else (like Mike North at one time did) can create problems. They might well choose to let him go for that reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't think Mac has that type of motivation anymore. He hasn't shown it in the last 5 or so years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Great American
I could see Mac going to the Game under the premise that he wants to build something new, be the underdog again, help a young station, blah blah blah, but I don't see that being his real motivation. Last week sometime, Mac made on of his typical comments about the Score being "the smart station" but added that it's not a "frat house" like it used to be. I actually think that the "frat house" atmosphere might be something that Mac wants to recapture and I could see a new station being the kind of place to find that. We know Mac isn't too interested in working hard but I think he is interested in having fun and he could have more fun somewhere else. Somewhere away from Assistant Director of Fun Dan Bernstine

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Spaulding wrote:
I don't think Mac has that type of motivation anymore. He hasn't shown it in the last 5 or so years.

#truth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:59 pm 

More like 10 years. He was mailing it in since at least 2004 on ESPN.

And Mac would go anywhere if the money was right. It's not about "smart" stations or frat house atmospheres. It's money. Pay pay pay. I don't begrudge the guy making whatever he can since he has to make sure his one son is always taken care for.

The question is: Will I listen?

Depends. If Mac goes to the game and makes ballwasher Finfer his co-host I won't be listening. If he stays at WSCR with The Mirror I will keep to my current routine of an occasional listen. I'd like Mac with a challenging co-host but that's unlikely.