It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:34 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyppQnoLzMY

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
shirtless driver wrote:
I dunno, are you talking about Cline's playing, or him personally?
I don't see any pretense in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GRSH8yxWjc
I could listen to him wax poetic all day, but only if he was buying the rounds.

His playing. And I'm not saying there isn't a place for it. But in most cases it does nothing for Tweedy's songs.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Telegram Sam wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Great rock and roll is about straining against one's own limitations.

It is about so much less than that.

In a lot of instances that's true, but it's never about playing the "best" guitar or being more skilled behind a drum kit. I suppose it would be better to say great rock and roll is often driven by the limitations of those playing it.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:14 am 

W_Z wrote:

the two bands don't belong in the same argument. they're not in the same genre. what in the everloving fuck.

Again, the comparison was made to rip Wilco.

Tragically Hip, Weezer, The Lemonheads, Urge Overkill all better than Wilco

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:16 am 

The Strokes- The Other Side

Id say that's some serious emotional depth

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:

That song is lost on me. His singing sounds very affected. Like he's listened to too many Lou Reed records.

Whatever you want to say about Tweedy, he has his own voice. And when he wants to, he really can break your heart.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

That song is lost on me.

I thought the part about drinking too much and being too judgmental was right up your alley :D

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 am 

I hope we can all agree that the last two Strokes albums have been dogshit.

What the hell has happened to Julian Casablancas? It's like The Strokes have morphed into his terrible solo project.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:30 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
I thought the part about drinking too much and being too judgmental was right up your alley :D

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, it just kinda goes. I find Jack White and the White Stripes both to be aggressively mediocre, for lack of a better adverb-adjective pairing.

That's a terrible thought. Jack White is a rock star, not because he tries to be, but because he can't fucking help it. He can write any kind of song and he understands more about sound and tone than just about anyone. I'm not really a guy who argues about who the "best" guitarists are, but the sound of Jack's White's guitar is perfect.

Great rock and roll is about straining against one's own limitations. That's what the White Stripes were all about. It's a framework set up with purposeful limitations (Meg's drumming), designed to see how far they could go within that paradigm. That's why the White Stripes wouldn't have been "better" with Jimmy Chamberlain on drums. That's why Joe Satriani sucks.

I don't know how this was missed, but this right here is the greatest post in the history of posts, of all posts, for evermore. Jack White is a Grown-Ass Rock Star with a capital R and a capital S, the one and only Rock Star left in all the world. No matter how sad and pathetic one man's life may become, there is always Rock and Roll. And all that's left of Rock and Roll is Jack White.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Saying Jack White is the only Rock Star left is like saying Peyton Manning is the only good QB left. I can now see why people were saying "Jack White saved RnR" is annoying. I never heard it before now but yeah that's just retarded.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:53 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Saying Jack White is the only Rock Star left is like saying Peyton Manning is the only good QB left. I can now see why people were saying "Jack White saved RnR" is annoying. I never heard it before now but yeah that's just retarded.

I don't know if Rock and Roll can be saved but he's definitely the last of a dying--and near death--breed. Name another Rock Star under 40, and I mean a real Rock Star. Complete with historical guitar, songwriting and vocal talent, not to mention passable drum talent, supermodel ex-wife (or wife, or girlfriend) and restraining orders in 3 states.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
DannyB wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't know if Rock and Roll can be saved but he's definitely the last of a dying--and near death--breed. Name another Rock Star under 40, and I mean a real Rock Star. Complete with historical guitar, songwriting and vocal talent, not to mention passable drum talent, supermodel ex-wife (or wife, or girlfriend) and restraining orders in 3 states.

The last real Rock Star was Axl Rose.

Before him? David Lee Roth

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:05 pm 

DannyB wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Not to mention he beat the hell out of the guy from the Von Bondies. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:10 pm 

spanky wrote:
DannyB wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Not to mention he beat the hell out of the guy from the Von Bondies. :lol:

Right on. In a bar. In Detroit. The stuff with with the guy from the Black Keys is even more priceless.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:28 pm 

Who else attends your kids daycare is serious rock star business.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:57 pm 

spanky wrote:
Who else attends your kids daycare is serious rock star business.

It is when you're Jack F'ing White and some queer copycat moves into your hood in godforsaken Tennessee. Come on, that is classic Rock Star shit. It resulted in legal motions filed by Really. Smart. Lawyers. Oral argument was held on the issue and a binding order was issued.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:57 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
DannyB wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The last real Rock Star was Axl Rose.

Before him? David Lee Roth

This is the best take you have had in weeks, maybe months.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:15 am 

Jack White's Private World: Inside Rolling Stone's New Issue
A rare invitation into the mysterious world of rock & roll's Willy Wonka

Few outsiders have ever been able to penetrate Jack White's private world. But in the new issue of Rolling Stone (on stands Friday), contributing editor Jonah Weiner gets a one-on-one furniture-upholstering lesson from the 38-year-old musician in his Nashville workshop — and captures a very rare glimpse into the mysterious life of rock & roll's Willy Wonka.

On the eve of the release of his second solo album, Lazaretto (hear an exclusive premiere of the album's pounding blues track "Just One Drink" here), White speaks candidly about Meg White, opens up about his children and fatherhood, gripes about his alleged "women problem" and much more. Here are five highlights from the interview:

Lazaretto's lyrics were inspired by his teenage years.
A few years ago, Jack found a box of plays and short stories he'd written at 19, when he dropped out of Wayne State University. He calls this work "mediocre" but used phrases and characters in the album's songs. "It was a way of stimulating me," he says. "What if I talk to my younger self and work together with him?"

White's relentlessly critical nature has led him to compare himself to a very famous curmudgeon.
"I'm very much like Larry David in my everyday," he says. "Complaining about, you know, why they make shoelaces so much longer than they need to be." White says if he's in a social situation where someone tells an offensive joke, "I'll be the only one to laugh, just to ease the tension in the room."

He's a fan of more popular music — including Kanye West — than most fans would imagine.
White calls Daft Punk "amazing" and reveals he worked on several unfinished tracks with Jay Z ("I'm not sure he liked them"). Kanye West also asked him to collaborate on Yeezus, but never followed up — which bummed White out because he was so blown away by the MC's arena tour last year. "That might have been the greatest show I've seen in my life," he says. "It was more punk, more in-your-face than anything I've seen."

White says he's figured out why crowds at concerts can suck nowadays.
"People can't clap anymore, because they've got a fucking texting thing in their fucking hand, and probably a drink, too!" he says. "Some musicians don't care about this stuff, but I let the crowd tell me what to do. There's no set list. I'm not just saying the same things I said in Cleveland last night. If they can't give me that energy back? Maybe I'm wasting my time."

White has a message for the female journalist who wrote he has a "Women Problem" in the Atlantic in 2012, accusing him of having retrograde attitudes regarding gender.
"I've worked with more women than anyone you'll ever meet," he says, adding there's a difference between the narrators of his songs and his own beliefs. Referring to Lazaretto opener "Three Women," which references digital photography, he adds, "If you know anything about me, do you think I like digital photography? No. I don't. So obviously this song is not about fucking Jack White, so fuck you! If you're that chick who wrote that article — and I say chick on purpose — she won't understand that line, because she doesn't do her research."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
3 songs into the album, so very average.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:32 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
3 songs into the album, so very average.

Is it out today? I preordered it awhile ago, but couldn't remember the date.

The songs Lazaretto and High Ball Stepper are both incredible. Hopefully the rest of the album is up to those standards.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 am 

Yes, it is out today.

I'm streaming on Spotify.

edit: It gets a little better as the album goes on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I have his last album. He was on the tonight show last night. His LP has all kinds of "Easter Eggs" on the LP. The guy is really an "artist" in every sense of the word. I loved his Bond tune a few years back that he sang with Alicia Keys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
https://tv.yahoo.com/tv-in-no-time/jack ... 17442.html

The vinyl of this album sounds cool as hell.

On Monday's "The Tonight Show," Jack White unveiled the ultra LP edition of his new album "Lazaretto," a vinyl pressing unlike anyone has ever seen. The features are endless: A floating angel hologram appears when you play it, hidden tracks exist below the center labels, it plays three different speeds, side "A" plays the record from the inside out, it has locked grooves, it is flat-edged, the matte finish on side "B" resembles an unplayed 78 RPM record, and it uses dual groove technology, which plays an electric or acoustic track depending on where the needle is dropped. In other words, it's a dream release for vinyl collectors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
https://tv.yahoo.com/tv-in-no-time/jack-whites-unprecedented-vinyl-release-081817442.html

On Monday's "The Tonight Show," Jack White unveiled the ultra LP edition of his new album "Lazaretto," a vinyl pressing unlike anyone has ever seen. The features are endless: A floating angel hologram appears when you play it, hidden tracks exist below the center labels, it plays three different speeds, side "A" plays the record from the inside out, it has locked grooves, it is flat-edged, the matte finish on side "B" resembles an unplayed 78 RPM record, and it uses dual groove technology, which plays an electric or acoustic track depending on where the needle is dropped. In other words, it's a dream release for vinyl collectors.

It's cool, but that stuff is all bullshit. It will make the record a pain in the ass to actually play.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Douchebag wrote:
It's cool, but that stuff is all bullshit. It will make the record a pain in the ass to actually play.

it's not actually meant to be played.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:13 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
https://tv.yahoo.com/tv-in-no-time/jack-whites-unprecedented-vinyl-release-081817442.html

But it's "about the music."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:14 am 

Bagels wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:37 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Yes, it is out today.

I'm streaming on Spotify.

edit: It gets a little better as the album goes on.

Listened to it over the 48 minutes it took me to get from Michigan & Randolph to the Eisenhower last night. It doesn't really seem to have a song with a radio friendly hook but I think it's a pretty good continuation of the last album. The song Entitlement is worth the price alone.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Douchebag wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

:lol:

-Hank Kingsley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next