It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:22 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:52 pm
Location: My Pants
pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Image

_________________
The Original Spanky wrote:
I don't like white rappers.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:24 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 am
Location: Darkside Estates
pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
This got weird. God bless CSFMB.

_________________
"Play until it hurts, then play until it hurts to not play."
http://soundcloud.com/darkside124 HOF 2013, MM Champion 2014
bigfan wrote:
Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:39 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 am
pizza_Place: Salerno's
This is why we can't have nice threads.
ImageImage

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:40 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:26 pm
Location: West Side
pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Darkside wrote:
This got weird. God bless CSFMB.

And it's all your fault Evil Jackside.

_________________
Seacrest wrote:
I rarely troll.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:33 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois
pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
All of us on this little board have a few of things in common...we like sports, sports talk radio & The Score, & as such, we should all be rooting for Mac to leave & go to either WGN or The Game...& here's why;

1. Many of us don't like what The Score has become & losing Mac & having to compete against him might actually cause the comatose Score Program Director to prove that he has a pulse & a clue & improve the on air product.

2. Mac would give a tremendous boost to WGN sports or especially to The Game. As Sports talk radio fans, having another station as an alternative would be a good thing.

3. I want to see Mac kick Bernsies little bitch ass in afternoons.

_________________
CSFMB 2014 Nascar Pick 'em Champion

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:41 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:31 pm
pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
I like Mac a lot, but what about the last year or two gives you any indication that he is tanned, rested, and ready to spearhead the challenge of taking a 0.0 station to, say, top 5 Males 25-54?

_________________
I don't remember half the time if I'm hiding or I'm lost

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:50 am
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: Up Where We Belong
Hussra wrote:
Unless I'm missing something here, and there's a good chance I am, that whole "match what ever the offer is" thing is weird.

These are private corporations, not teams in a league with a common labor union.

I see no reason why WGN should have to divulge what they're really paying any of their employees to CBS.

Sounds more like a gentlemen's agreement than anything binding in court on WGN or Mac.

And if the reason Mac wants to jump ship is because of time-slot, as is alleged below--then WSCR would be nuts to try to force a guy with Mac's history
to stay on in the 9-1 slot.

And let's say for shits and giggles that Mac and WSCR have some sort of legal document which allows WSCR to "match" any other offer Mac is made. Unless the language
is very explicit that it's monetary remuneration only, Mac could say that he's going to afternoons WGN for the same money, or even less than what WSCR is offering because to Mac
the afternoon time slot is worth more than the 9-1 timeslot WSCR is offering--irrespective of monetary comp.

Having read this thread (and after the thread went a little sideways), there are some components that may have gone unaddressed. WSCR may have something of a non-compete clause when the host doesn't pick up the contract (I know Murph sued over being unable to compete after being removed). The "match" aspect of the contract may come into play in this aspect but what exactly are the full terms would be speculation.

I think its clear that the majority here are of the sentiment that Mac in the afternoons (wherever) would improve the Chicago sports radio landscape, forcing both of his complacent former employers to recognize they need to make a positive change.

Finally, as to Mac taking a ".2" station and putting them on the board. Its what he does, he did it for the Score and ESPN. I have little doubt that he would make WGN a presence. As for the amount of vacation he gets (not including this current stretch in between contracts), with 25 years in the business he is due somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 weeks and if he can negotiate it so much the better. There are down periods in the year and high intensity periods (even for a guy who doesn't enjoy all sports), and no matter how grueling it is to sit in the Mac cave the results have been proven.

As a person who has little problem tuning in to 87.7 (car or home) or whatever WGN signal, I would love for Mac to make the jump!

_________________
DRINK BƎTTƎR. @theRIPH

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:10 am
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 am
pizza_Place: Salerno's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Does Mac still write a column for the Tribune?

Tribune co's spinning off the newspapers this quarter, with an eye to sell them to a sucker ASAP:

http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/t ... hing-debt/

$350 mil in debt (mostly as a dividend back to Trib Corp) + $30 mil in rent per year for a dying newspaper? Wouldn't buy that for a dollar.

Although I think the idea of weighing down the new co with debt is to avoid a capital gains hit on the sale? Not sure how that plays out.

McNeil's twitter account still says he's a weekly columnist for the Trib. However, he hasn't published anything
since before he took his rehab leave of absence:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotrib ... ERSE_CHRON

btw, perfect example of why newspapers are going down the shitter--you can't just go to their sites and pull up everything by a certain columnist by, oh, i dunno, clicking on their name or selecting them from a menu.

heck, you can't even google for McNeil's columns ( https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pr ... dan+mcneil ).

Newspapers hide their content behind cumbersome search interfaces and try to get people to pay for archive content based on a sentence or two abstract.

Same shit with the Sun-Times, except ST only charges $2.95 for a single article from their archive vs $3.95 for archived trib articles:

Quote:
O-line the weakest link
Click here for complete article
Author: Dan McNeil Special to the Chicago Sun-Times
Date: July 24, 2009
Publication: Chicago Sun-Times (IL)
Page: 54
Word Count: 795
Excerpt:
Chances are excellent you don't recall the Sid Luckman days, so it's understandable if Jay Cutler's arrival still has you a little intoxicated. Well, take caution in your giddiness.

It is not my desire to step on your Bears buzz. I wouldn't dissuade anybody from making the trip to training camp in Bourbonnais, which opens a week from today. If you closed your eyes and imagined the sweet sounds of crisply punted footballs, whistles and overzealous coaches shouting at rookies, you'd jump...

bit.ly/1vwtFxG

Put your content out on the web and generate revenue from traffic. Ain't nobody coughing up $3 or $4 to re-read what Dan McNeil had to say about the "Lambeau Weep" or the Bears 2009 Offensive line woes 6 months or 6 years ago. But if you SEO the heck out of your content, folks will stumble on it via google while searching for "Dan McNeil" or "Lambeau Weep" or Bears and Packers or whatever, click on it and you'll get a few shekels per click. DaMaNa vanity googling himself late at night is probably good for $5 a year per article.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:16 am
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 8:50 pm
pizza_Place: PizzaHut
I hope Mac goes to the game. The score is dying station.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:18 am
Offline
100000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Terry Boers gets $500k. Mac will too.

How could the Score justify NOT giving him an offer of $500k?
NSJ wrote:
...yawn...

_________________
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's more fun to be a victim
Caller Bob wrote:
There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:18 pm
pizza_Place: Luigi's
Let's say Mac signs with WGN and gets the 500K... How does that effect WGN Sports Golden Boy David Kaplan? Is Kap a 500K+ guy? Does de Castro get Kap's input/advice/suggestions? Or am I giving Kap too much credence? However, he seems to be the "guy" for sports at WGN.

_________________
"This is Chicago, my friend. Anything can happen."

Last edited by Godfella on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:20 pm
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Ravenswood Manor
pizza_Place: Pete's
Godfella wrote:
Is Kap a 500K+ guy?

Kap is a $5000 suit guy.

_________________
Don't take it personally.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:41 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:29 pm
pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Is Kap a 500K+ guy?

Kap is a $5000 suit guy.

Image

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Godfella wrote:
Let's say Mac signs with WGN and gets the 500K... How does that effect WGN Sports Golden Boy David Kaplan? Is Kap a 500K+ guy? Does de Castro get Kap's input/advice/suggestions? Or am I giving Kap too much credence? However, he seems to be the "guy" for sports at WGN.

No way DeCastro brings in a guy like Mac without first discussing it with Kap.

_________________
CSFMB 2014 Nascar Pick 'em Champion

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:51 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:11 pm
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Is Kap a 500K+ guy?

Kap is a $5000 suit guy.

That is an insult to our own poster $5000 Suit

_________________
"He is a loathsome, offensive brute
--yet I can't look away."

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:05 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: Up Where We Belong
Scorehead wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Let's say Mac signs with WGN and gets the 500K... How does that effect WGN Sports Golden Boy David Kaplan? Is Kap a 500K+ guy? Does de Castro get Kap's input/advice/suggestions? Or am I giving Kap too much credence? However, he seems to be the "guy" for sports at WGN.

No way DeCastro brings in a guy like Mac without first discussing it with Kap.

Not trying to sound like an audition for the MacALS (v3.0) but Mac is the one radio name that is locally available for whom the only question is "what time slot?" and followed by "does he need my office too?"

_________________
DRINK BƎTTƎR. @theRIPH

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:06 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 8:50 pm
pizza_Place: PizzaHut
How much does Spiegs make? Can't be over 100k, can it?

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:07 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 am
pizza_Place: Salerno's
Grimace is paid by the pound

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:11 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:34 am
pizza_Place: Great American
blackhawksfan wrote:
How much does Spiegs make? Can't be over 100k, can it?

What does it matter? He clearly makes all his real money from Tributo shows. :wink:

_________________
Dan Bernstein wrote:
This is Tao. Joe Maddon as Laozi.

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:21 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:00 pm
Hussra wrote:
Grimace is paid by the pound

That has to be bigger than Boers contract then.

_________________
2018
#ExtendLafleur
10 More Wins

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:30 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
He's paid in scotch and cookies.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:34 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
blackhawksfan wrote:
How much does Spiegs make? Can't be over 100k, can it?

My official Beardown estimate has him right at 100k.

_________________
Proud member of the white guy grievance committee

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:46 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:18 pm
pizza_Place: Luigi's
Anybody have an idea what Kaplan makes? $750K+?

_________________
"This is Chicago, my friend. Anything can happen."

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:18 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Hawg Ass wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Grimace is paid by the pound

That has to be bigger than Boers contract then.

I heard him give a shoutout at the end of the show to some towing company that helped him out. I remember Mac and Spiegel talking to some producer, maybe Finji, a few months back about using their affiliation with the radio station to get free stuff. Finji said he was uncomfortable starting that conversation. Do these guys really "negotiate" crap like this?

I'd feel weird saying "hey, instead of me paying you guys, how about I talk about you for 30 seconds tomorrow"?

_________________
You know me like that.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:20 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 am
pizza_Place: Salerno's
Worked great for Allen Brothers steaks, not so great when Mac tried to pay his weed dealer that way.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:23 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:00 pm
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Grimace is paid by the pound

That has to be bigger than Boers contract then.

I heard him give a shoutout at the end of the show to some towing company that helped him out. I remember Mac and Spiegel talking to some producer, maybe Finji, a few months back about using their affiliation with the radio station to get free stuff. Finji said he was uncomfortable starting that conversation. Do these guys really "negotiate" crap like this?

I'd feel weird saying "hey, instead of me paying you guys, how about I talk about you for 30 seconds tomorrow"?

I would imagine that goes on quite frequently, how much Allen-Brothers meat do you think Mac got?

_________________
2018
#ExtendLafleur
10 More Wins

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:28 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Without knowing if he took them on one at a time or simultaneously probably around an average of 5 inches per brother would be my guess.

_________________
Proud member of the white guy grievance committee

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Hawg Ass wrote:
I would imagine that goes on quite frequently, how much Allen-Brothers meat do you think Mac got?

That's different, though. I'm pretty sure Allen Brothers was a sponsor.

I'm just talking about bartering services in your regular life by telling them that you'll talk about them on the radio. #TonysDeli

_________________
You know me like that.

Top
 Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:34 pm
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:29 pm
pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hawg Ass wrote:
I would imagine that goes on quite frequently, how much Allen-Brothers meat do you think Mac got?

That's different, though. I'm pretty sure Allen Brothers was a sponsor.

I'm just talking about bartering services in your regular life by telling them that you'll talk about them on the radio. #TonysDeli

#BastaPasta
#EdisonParkInn

_________________
Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Hawg Ass wrote:
I would imagine that goes on quite frequently, how much Allen-Brothers meat do you think Mac got?

That's different, though. I'm pretty sure Allen Brothers was a sponsor.

I'm just talking about bartering services in your regular life by telling them that you'll talk about them on the radio. #TonysDeli

Got ya, I would have to believe some of goes on, but I can't see it all of the time. If you had a sponsor, I can't see them be really happy about a competitor being mentioned on a daily basis.

2018
#ExtendLafleur
10 More Wins

Top
 Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next