It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?

Oh my god pitchfork gave it an 8.2 wrote:
Don't up your bids yet, web shoppers-- your wallet can breathe a huge sigh of relief. At last, the sounds of Clear Blue Skies can again grace the ears of the common man, an album only A-Rod or B-Gates could have picked up recently. The availability of the Juggaknots' one vinyl-only full-length had been relegated to the Net over the past few years, fetching upwards of sixty dollars each time it was posted on eBay. Rumors of another pressing floated for some time-- in large part because the only other Fondle 'Em LP of the era (Kool Keith and Godfather Dox92s The Cenobites) got another go-'round in 2000-- but this year Clear Blue Skies is finally getting the King Ralph Royal Meal Deal expanded treatment, available for the first time on either CD or double vinyl, with eleven bonus tracks, in a store near you.

Up until this point, Breezly Brewin and Buddy Slim havex92t exactly been household names, but the Bronx duo has risen to cult status through some exceptional guest appearances. Many may remember the Brewix92s contribution to \x93Fire in Which You Burx94, on Company Flow's Funcrusher Plus. If you have a reasonable excuse for missing his opening verse (though, you dox92t), perhaps he's more recognizable as the lead role of Tariq in Prince Paul's cinemaudio opus A Prince Among Thieves. With an added third member (Queen Heroine), the Juggaknots also helped fill in the RZA-esque bleeps and Pterodactyl-screams of Mr. Lex92s \x93This Morning\x94, the standout track on the Matador-released Pity the Fool. If all of this slipped under your late 90s rap-o-meter, hopefully last year's terrific comeback 12\x94 \x93WKRP in NYC\x94 jogs your memory.

i caught the vinyl of the repress @ fat beats on 6th street in manhattan in 07/08 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Oh, Douchebag.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:21 am 

we haven't covered any chicago/punk rock yet have we?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:23 am 

oh and here's those aphex twin @ ATP 03 bootlegs... nice quality too!

part 1 = http://sinicalypse.kaen.org/csfmb/Aphex ... %20pt1.mp3
part 2 = http://sinicalypse.kaen.org/csfmb/Aphex ... %20pt2.mp3

part 2 is the better one cuz he kills some vintage end-of-jungle-beginning-of-drum-and-bass-era stuff before fucking off into gabber/hardcore at the end.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
sinicalypse wrote:
oh and here's those aphex twin @ ATP 03 bootlegs... nice quality too!

part 1 = http://sinicalypse.kaen.org/csfmb/Aphex ... %20pt1.mp3
part 2 = http://sinicalypse.kaen.org/csfmb/Aphex ... %20pt2.mp3

part 2 is the better one cuz he kills some vintage end-of-jungle-beginning-of-drum-and-bass-era stuff before fucking off into gabber/hardcore at the end.

Image IIRC, this was a straight up dj set on 1200's and probably a CD deck as well. Some party-crasher stood holding a sign with "Get Me High" written on it at the entrance to the main auditorium where RDJ played that night.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Man, I gotta check this stuff out. Except for Aeroplane . . ., which I already have and don't really like.

sinicalypse wrote:
hussra you're posting downtempo ambient shit now? comeon dude.... we can all talk about how deep we are because we've sat through music for airports at one point because it seemed like the thing to do.... but really, comeon dude. let's talk ambient for a second.

I've happily sat through Music for Airports, Discreet Music, aaaaaaand Thursday Afternoon. Step off my Eno. Another Green World is a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:24 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
we haven't covered any chicago/punk rock yet have we?

Riffing off of the Verve Pipe vs Candlebox 20 thread, trying to offer up somewhat similar tunes that never garnered much
if any radio play.
Like this:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:36 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:

oh and a funny story about mira calix.... she used to bang/date one of the autechre guys.... and when i saw them circa 04 (cuz they were on an every-four-year trajectory for coming to the USA) she was opening for them at the metro, and she was such a fucking awful DJ that the crowd gave her a rabid cheer when she merely played an aphex twin song. i distinctly remember wanting to throw that old q101 brick atop the metro speakers at her face cuz her mix was sooooo bad. it's like HEY BITCH YOU'RE FUCKING AUTECHRE WHERE'S THE UNRELEASED DUBPLATES? OR A MODICUM OF DJ SKILL?!?!?!

She ping-pong'd or tag-team dj'd with another chick at ATP that year. Had a guy in a balaclava or maybe a mexican wrestling mask ironing tableclothes or curtains on stage throughout her set. Might've been her BF then. There were maybe 50 people in the room for her set. They had 3 rooms and a pub, or 2 rooms and the pub. Flava-Flav's first trip out of the contry since getting off probation, at the time. Flava-Flav and PE have blown up a bit since then. They headlined the first night (tho Carl Craig playing late night was the most popular set) to a giggily receptive crowd of mostly English/Euro music snobs (English/EU hipsters make great crowd surfers, very light); and then Flav and PE's DJ (not Terminator X at that time?) hung out in the pub and dj'd til 7 am.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:42 pm 

Hussra wrote:
Image IIRC, this was a straight up dj set on 1200's and probably a CD deck as well. Some party-crasher stood holding a sign with "Get Me High" written on it at the entrance to the main auditorium where RDJ played that night.

i saw aphex twin @ the vic on the 97 USA tour (still to date the last proper tour that he's done. he played ATP03 in LA and then coachella 08.... and that's it for the USA.).

i'd be remiss if i didn't point out that i was ZOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM on methamphetamines for the ride there. that didn't help my friend who decided that the whole concept of puerto rican fiesta week (you know, when they parade around with the flags and stuff) and was hanging outside the window screaming at them to fuck off and go home. my freshly-17-year-old-brain thought i was in trouble.

as for the show, well, i didn't fuck around and i got right up front. i found it odd that i was surrounded by goths who were flailing to heliosphan live (which btw, was note for note the same as the version linked here, from the big day out set. the mp3s didnt circulate yet so all i had was a realaudio file of it in significantly lesser quality.... but i have to admit i teared up a bit during heliosphan cuz i kind of realized that there i was front and center witnessing my favorite musician live, and little did i know that nearly 17 years later i'd never have a chance to see him again without dropping like ~$1500-2000/+.... c'est la vie. oh shit parenthesis)

yeah the flailing goths threw me off, but it was just like i had expected.

richard didn't play live in 97. he played mp3s off of a macbook that was "wired" to some wireframe box with the 7\ aphex logo on it, and he laid on his stomach on a couch (shoes off, of course) with his laptop paying no mind to the audience while 3 rhubears with the rdj EP/LP face on em danced around.... oh and little red riding hood came out too, but we didn't get the "beaver show" that i know denver and a few other places got. ah well. the point is that he did some custom unreleased shit for this tour because i think he doesnt really feel the need to jump into a WATCH ME PLAY LIVE dog and pony show.... he just pre-fabs it before he shows up and only plays that set that night and that's it. people i trust on watmm claim that even as far back as 92-93 he'd bring along some token gear, but under the mixing board and whatever TR-#O# machines there was a DAT tape machine that had the live set in it =D

so yeah, i really doubt he stood up there and mixed vinyl in front of you.... but hey if he did and you distinctly remember seeing him flip records, well maybe he can do it... fuck if i know. but that's not his style. we're talking about a guy who in his more avant garde days once spun sandpaper and dropped a live microphone into a blender onstage, ultimately throwing the blender jug into the crowd where he accidentally hit some kid in the face with it. richard thought he was fucked and jail-bound, but fortunately the kid ran up to him after teh show and only wanted him to autograph the blender jug. that's the life of a star, eh?
!
i'll also always remember that after the 97 set the crowd was stomping their feet and chanting encore! encore! encore! for like 3-5mins straight.... i stood there waiting to see what, if anything happened, and at one point roughly 5-6mins after he walked off stage he came back out, everyone flipped and started running back..... only to watch richard come out and start unhooking his gear. some kid in the upper deck yelled "COMEON RICHARD" and he looked up at em and shot 'em the album cover shit eating grin face and then walked off behind the curtain. 'twas epic.

hussra do you have the big day out set? the girl/boy remix and the heliosphan remix are top top quality out of all of the 97 bootlegs cuz it was broadcast on an australian radio station called JJJ.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:47 pm 

ATP advertised it as a DJ set but I was nowhere near the front. Saturday night a lot of crashers trained down from the city and packed out the main room for Aphex Twin.

Found the Big Day Out sets on slsk just now: '97 and '04.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:50 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Man, I gotta check this stuff out. Except for Aeroplane . . ., which I already have and don't really like.

sinicalypse wrote:
hussra you're posting downtempo ambient shit now? comeon dude.... we can all talk about how deep we are because we've sat through music for airports at one point because it seemed like the thing to do.... but really, comeon dude. let's talk ambient for a second.

I've happily sat through Music for Airports, Discreet Music, aaaaaaand Thursday Afternoon. Step off my Eno. Another Green World is a masterpiece.

i really really regret never getting around to that dr. james disdain (taking the piss out of dr. alex paterson) "selected ambient notes vol 1" idea i had back in the day. i just wanted to get rid of all that rhythmic bullshit that gets in the way of really stepping into the music akin to how jackson pollock really stepped into the picture.... you woulda surely met god and shit, cuz i mean seriously what the fuck do you need beats for? they totally ruined this song right here i mean comeon what the fuck are you thinking cosmic baby? THAT'S WHY NOBODY WHO IS READING THIS RIGHT NOW HAS EVER HEARD OF YOU!!!!1 LOSE THE BEATS!!!

i take that back. hussra just made a slsk reference and seeing as he's got mira calix stories, call it a hunch he's heard of cosmic baby. logic trance 2 representing up in here! damn hussra you can add me on slsk if you want as i'm sinicalyptical Caller Bob, as i have been since ~june01 when i got on slsk (ditching audiogalaxy... RIP!) cuz drukQs was on there ~4 months early b4 its proper october 01 release.

and slsk has worked ever since then, so why change?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:58 pm 

Hussra wrote:
ATP advertised it as a DJ set but I was nowhere near the front. Saturday night a lot of crashers trained down from the city and packed out the main room for Aphex Twin.

Found the Big Day Out sets on slsk just now: '97 and '04.

to the best of my recollection ('AAAAARDDDCOOOORRREEEE APHEX MASSIF (stay strong) SINCE 94) i don't think there has been a proper aphex twin show since that 97 USA tour. after come to daddy / windowlicker he was starting to go pop i mean you can go find a magazine cover with him doing the one eye jay-z hova triangle/pyramid handsign thing on the cover..... i like to think he saw what being a popstar entailed and propmptly fucked off from 98-01 b4 drukQs, then since then..... well, there's the tuss and steinvord i guess. but i'm pretty damn sure since 97 it's been all DJ sets.... did you ever hear of the one he did opening for bjork as dj smojphace? legendary story there =D

oh fuck i just realized that when my laptop died last month i might have lost my homemade squarepusher and ceephax bootlegs. ah well, at least i got little chunks of them on youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:01 pm 

oh yeah while you're on soulseek get squarepusher liquid room japan 1997. you can thank me later.... live coopers world starts it off.... and yeah. that's the don of squarepusher live shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:13 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:

i really really regret never getting around to that dr. james disdain (taking the piss out of dr. alex paterson) "selected ambient notes vol 1" idea i had back in the day. i just wanted to get rid of all that rhythmic bullshit that gets in the way of really stepping into the music akin to how jackson pollock really stepped into the picture.... you woulda surely met god and shit, cuz i mean seriously what the fuck do you need beats for?

Agreed:

Unless I'm at a party/bar/club/church or otherwise want music to move to, beats get in the way; unless it's something severely downtempo, like Deadbeat's album up-thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:15 pm 

oh and hey hussra/CH you lot might get a kick out of this slagjob i did the other day trying to recreate the phenomenon of listening to old italo disco while i was also listening to bnb. the two flagrant parts with dan and terry combined aren't any of my work.... au naturale, that's just dan doing his thing where he steps all over terry cuz he doesn't take him seriously anymore >> http://sinicalypse.kaen.org/csfmb/bnb3.mp3

btw the song is mr flagio - take a chance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:19 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:21 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
oh and hey hussra/CH you lot might get a kick out of this slagjob i did the other day trying to recreate the phenomenon of listening to old italo disco while i was also listening to bnb. the two flagrant parts with dan and terry combined aren't any of my work.... au naturale, that's just dan doing his thing where he steps all over terry cuz he doesn't take him seriously anymore >> http://sinicalypse.kaen.org/csfmb/bnb3.mp3

pretty freaking cool. reminds a bit but not really of this:

http://youarelistening.to/chicago

if you have ghostery, you have to unblock the soundcloud player on the top left, to pull in the ambient tunes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 pm 

wow that 2nd review of the ambient stuff literally says the guy puts it on when he goes to bed. that's exactly my point.

Hussra wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

pretty freaking cool. reminds a bit but not really of this:

http://youarelistening.to/chicago

if you have ghostery, you have to unblock the soundcloud player on the top left, to pull in the ambient tunes.

i called it a total slagoff cuz it reminded me of the same exact thing i did better years ago when those mel gibson tapes dropped, and after getting dance music out of the way well..... the second one is much better. viva la melstep @ http://sinicalypse.kaen.org/melstep/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Oh man, that B&B remix. I love it. Now I know what Chris Tannehill's nightmares sound like.

I'm still a soulseek loyalist too. Very rarely has it let me down. Anyone paying anything for 128 kb/s audio with proprietary file extensions is a schmuck.

That Echoes show that NIU's radio station carries can play some pretty good electronic stuff. Other times they play Coldplay. It's the mixedest of mixed bags.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's

http://www.esquire.com/features/music/b ... eview-0409

The relationship between the visual and the auditory isn't always important, but it's almost always interesting. You hear a voice on the radio and you wonder: What does this voice look like? I've done this my whole life, with varying degrees of success. Whitesnake looked the way Whitesnake sounded, but the Pixies did not look like people who made records by the Pixies. Two of the guys in Cheap Trick appeared the way I imagined, but the other two were weirdos. Christina Aguilera was too thin; Tori Amos wore too much makeup. Rose Tattoo and Earl Greyhound were both spot-on. Even after nearly three decades of MTV, we still tend to see musicians with our ears, which (I can only assume) is what the musicians would want. It validates the creative potential of their art — even if we've never peered into their eyes, it feels as if we have enough information to be able to recognize them at a bar.

I bring this up because I had the exact opposite experience with Benji Hughes, the only male singer-songwriter I've been obsessed with besides Linus of Hollywood. Before I heard a single note off his double-album debut, A Love Extreme, I saw the cover: It was Mr. Hughes, hyperbearded and wearing red sunglasses, quasi sleeping in windswept darkness. He looked a little fat, probably high, and completely consumed by his own self-generated genius. I had never heard his name before, but I already felt as if I knew everything about him. He looked like the kind of guy who used to work part-time at a bakery but could never get enough hours and the boss always wanted him to wear a shirt. I bet his friends don't believe that he loves disco music as much as he claims. He's nice to animals and waitresses. He sold his plasma for half a summer before moving in with his girlfriend for three months without paying rent, but she kicked him out after he almost fucked some thirty-seven-year-old female bartender who knew a lot about astrology and Paul McCartney's Wings. And then he made this record. The moment I saw the cover, I knew: I was going to love this music. I instinctively understood what it was supposed to do and how it was supposed to make me feel. And I was right.

A Love Extreme is twenty-five songs of pure, enthusiastic songwriting from a man who clearly does not care what I think about his work. It's an ambitious, solipsistic project. (In some respects, Hughes is akin to a Caucasian Cody Chesnutt crossed with a less catholic version of Ryan Adams.) But he's amazingly good at fitting every musical idea into whatever worldview is best suited to hold it. There's something effortless about his ability. It often seems as if Hughes can listen to any rival artist, immediately deduce what element defines the work, and then synthesize the vibe without seeming derivative. It's almost like A Love Extreme is a project: At various fleeting moments, he sings a little like Julian Casablancas, Joe Pernice, Leonard Cohen, Jarvis Cocker, Rivers Cuomo, Chet Baker, Mark Oliver Everett, and Mark Sandman.

Hughes makes a few dangerous brushes with joke rock on A Love Extreme, but he usually stays inside the foul pole; there's one great song about what happens when mummies get intoxicated. He seems autistically obsessed with April 17: He mentions a woman who shattered his heart at a Dairy Queen on that date in "You Stood Me Up," but another track cites April 17 as the evening of a memorable, unrelated Flaming Lips concert. He is, I suppose, a certain kind of boho romantic (assuming a preoccupation with failed relationships counts as "romantic"), and he understands how seemingly impractical details are inevitably the key to likable storytelling. When describing a woman's lips, he claims they taste like candy. What kind of candy, you ask? "Like really awesome candy," he says, specifying. Excellent! That's the type of candy I prefer, too.

It would be misleading to classify Hughes as "straightforward," because some of his material is meandering and a tad overlong. But there is something straightforward about his motives — it feels as if he came up with the core idea for this album twelve years ago but wasn't able to make it until now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:43 am 

holy shit JORR that guy's awesome. i'm cracking up to "neighbor down the hall" right now

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:55 am 

Satisfied Amazon Customer wrote:
6 of 6 people found the following review helpful
5 Stars- Words Can't Describe It
A Kid's Review on October 1, 2002

I bought this CD after a close friend of mine told me about the amazing song Alphabet Aerobics. Buying this CD, I expected one good track and nothing else. I WAS DEAD WRONG!! This IS the most amazing CD I've ever listened to. Words can't descirbe it. Chief Xcel produces awsome beats and Gift of Gab is the second best MC in my opinion (behind KRS-One). Gab's rapid fire delivery and insightful, unbelievible (and clean) lyrics make him amazing to hear.

Alphabet Aerobics is an amazing song where Gab goes from A to Z in an alphabetical, alliterative rap. Back to the Essence has (in my opinion) a catchy hook to it that really is a head bobber. I could review every song, but EVERY ONE IS SUPERB! Not ONE weak track. If you want some real Hip-Hop with excelent beats and unbelievible, rapid-fire lyrics, PICK THIS UP!!

the only time i've ever encountered this one on vinyl the place also had pharoahe monch's internal affairs. you wanna talk about horrible decisions? i went with the pharoahe. still gotta find this one, so until that day i'll go cry with my melodica 12" =D