It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:47 pm 
Anybody got a good link to a torrent? The ones i'm finding are shit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
If you buy it, you can stream it immediately on subpop.com............
but since you asked 8)
http://kickass.to/alternative-rock-the- ... 26031.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:00 pm 
Danke. I'll buy a hard copy when it's out, but I'm impatient.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:31 pm 

Coachella 2014 set - watched it last night and they fucking owned!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzqJ6Hvm8d0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:12 pm 

Afghan Whigs on Letterman tonight!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:36 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C5et72znyw
8) :D 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Afghan Whigs, so fucking cool.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:56 pm 

Afghan Whigs doing Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police.
http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/ ... lice_cover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
I have seen the whigs/singers/twins almost every Chicago show. Does anyone recall the don't touch my shoe show at the metro? Some chick touched his shoe he called her out. 8 years later I am seeing the singers talking to some girl I am hitting on (odd even after I got divorced my ex and I still saw dulli together) and discussing the shows in the past. I brought that up and she turns and says yeah that was my friend here who did that.

IIRC correctly that was the same show that some dudes got into a fight and Dulli played Tonight as an added bonus

This kills me, you don't get much Dulli discussion on sports boards. Hell anywhere. Hum fans too. Dare I hope for Slint fans?

Now Whigs covers, Doves Cry is my favorite.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:26 pm 

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Dare I hope for Slint fans?

I stepped out onto the midway. I was looking for the pirate ship when I saw this small, old tent at one end. It was blue, and had white lights hanging all around it. I decided to check out the tent. It seemed like I could hear music coming from inside. As I walked toward it, I passed a crowd of people at the sideshow. I couldn't figure out why they would want to wait in line. I pulled back the drape thing on the tent. There was a crystal ball at the table, and behind it, a girl wearing a hat. She smiled and asked me if I wanted my fortune read. I said "okay," and sat down. Then I thought about it for a minute, and asked her if she'd rather go on the rollercoaster instead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:28 pm 

Yeah, Spiderland is a classic.
Tweez, not so much.
Was it a Whigs show where the shoe thing happened?
I've never seen Twilight Singers.
They pretty much nail all their covers.
Moon River and Creep by TLC being 2 of my favorites.
And True Love Travels on A Gravel road, duh.
8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Top 25 Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers songs of the now, because 10 and 20 weren't enough:

1. 66
2. Faded
3. Crazy
4. My Curse
5. Bulletproof
6. Come See About Me
7. Debonair
8. Crime Scene Part One
9. My Enemy
10. Honky's Ladder
11. Somethin' Hot
12. Bonnie Brae
13. Blame, Etc.
14. Mr. Superlove
15. Miles Iz Ded
16. Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe
17. Gentlemen
18. Omerta/The Vampire Lanois
19. Love
20. That's Just How That Bird Sings
21. I'm a Soldier
22. Congregation
23. Teenage Wristband
24. Papillon
25. Forty Dollars

And I'm sure I made a glaring omission or two at this late hour. That they weren't bigger than they were just makes me want to wail at the top of my lungs. Great songwriting, great arrangements, just the right mix of raw passion and attitude.

Now You Know. Fucking love the lyrical content of that song. The placement of every song on gentleman was perfect. Not saying it wasn't for any of the other albums. Just Gentleman nailed it. Black Love is damn close too.

Gutter Twins I love but I actually think Stitch is better than the GT stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:32 pm 

"Come See About Me" and "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" are the twin kings of Whigs covers, but the ones you mentioned are right up there, too, of course. "Mr. Superlove," too, which I never think of as being a cover because I know so very little of the Ass Ponys, but that doesn't make it not a cover. That song is a beast.

I tried the Gutter Twins album and wasn't feeling it. I don't think I liked Lanegan's vocals. I gotta give it another try.

EDIT: "Be Sweet" was a glaring omission from that list I wrote up there.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:34 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Tweez, not so much.
8)

Tweez is weak no doubt. The Murder EP just fantastic though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:42 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
"Come See About Me" and "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" are the twin kings of Whigs covers, but the ones you mentioned are right up there, too, of course. "Mr. Superlove," too, which I never think of as being a cover because I know so very little of the Ass Ponys, but that doesn't make it not a cover. That song is a beast.

I tried the Gutter Twins album and wasn't feeling it. I don't think I liked Lanegan's vocals. I gotta give it another try.

EDIT: "Be Sweet" was a glaring omission from that list I wrote up there.

Circle the fringes is really good. Number Nine is Marks best work though IMHO.

I can't say anything bad about any track on Gentleman.

Covers. Of course Mr Superlove. I almost went out and bought a banjo. I also love hyperballad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:43 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Tweez, not so much.
8)

Yeah it was a whigs show. It was either Gentleman or Black Love. No it had to be gentleman era because it was just a 4 piece.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:46 pm 

Erotic Lawyer, you know your stuff. Do you know/like Tindersticks?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:50 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Erotic Lawyer, you know your stuff. Do you know/like Tindersticks?

Unfamiliar. I'm old with kids I don't consume as much as I used to but I will check it out.

I am sure you guys are familiar with this but just in case you aren't check out The National - Slipping Husband. Firstly because it is an homage to the Whigs Milez is Dead. Secondly it sums me up these days lol.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:54 pm 

Just watched the dying slowly video. I am in. Will check more of them out. What do you suggest?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:01 pm 

Oh, funny you mention The National, because they remind me of Tindersticks, if Tindersticks had less creative arrangements and some weird obsession with spiders. Their peak was 1993-2003, but as I understand it, a lot of their albums were only imports here, and so they never really developed the following in North America that they have in the UK and Western Europe. RIYL Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Scott Walker, the National, baroque pop, and blue-eyed soul.

Check out "City Sickness," "My Sister," "People Keep Comin' Around," and "This Heart of Mine." I don't think you'll be disappointed. There are more to recommend but I exceeded the cap on URLs already

"This Heart of Mine" is youtube v=vcCikCu5xbk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:12 pm 

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Tweez, not so much.
8)

Yeah it was a whigs show. It was either Gentleman or Black Love. No it had to be gentleman era because it was just a 4 piece.

I must've been there. I've seen them on every tour between Congregation and 1965.
And i totally agree on Number Nine by TS. AMAZING song.
I remember reading a review of Tindersticks 1st record and buying it at the time, but I didn't care for it
and never thought to revisit them . I'll check em out too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:14 pm 

I will for sure check it out.

I do know my stuff a lil but I am an extremely lazy poster, mainly on an iPad which makes me lazier. If we ever meetup I might entertain you.

Are you a fan of Blake Schwarzenbach? Jawbreaker/Jets to Brazil. Dulli and him are likely my two favorite song writers. Greg is many times the better musician but Blake has a slight edge on being a wordsmith. I grew up in the Chicago punk scene. We were tied close to the Berkeley scene. Mainly association through Ben Weasel. Hell we had Green Day on air before anyone knew who they were. We had the best high school station. Those were such fun times. Never was a Greenday fan though lol. When Longview came on 120 minutes I picked up the phone and called friends because we were shocked. Hell I was working with Dave Naked when the Best Buy commercial mentioned Screeching Weasel. Lol the good ole days.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:20 pm 

Couple friends of mine are big Jawbreaker fans, but Chicago punk is a giant blind spot for me. I'm only now getting around to the Kinsellas. You and JORR will have to lead me.

Which high school station were you at? I wish my high school had had a station; I would have lived in there. Alas, I went to high school in buttfucking nowhere.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:24 pm 

I went to high school in Round Lake.
We were grateful for our 5 year old soccer kits and balls.
Fuckin' Round Lake............

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:26 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Tweez, not so much.
8)

I must've been there. I've seen them on every tour between Congregation and 1965.
And i totally agree on Number Nine by TS. AMAZING song.
I remember reading a review of Tindersticks 1st record and buying it at the time, but I didn't care for it
and never thought to revisit them . I'll check em out too.

Yeah for some reason that was really memorable to me at that show. Can't believe you never saw the Singers. I think that was even better than the whigs especially after Dulli sobered up. Blackberry Belle and Powder burns are solid solid albums. Might be my favs although Black Love is the best musically. They were on task as a band at that moment. From Up In It to that was a serious talent progression. Almost the pinnacle of talent. Black Love doesn't get my juices flowing though. It was cool hearing Honky's Ladder on the radio but Going to Town was the only song I felt. Faded belonged on an oldies station lol. I got what they were doing it was awesome but I would take Kiss the Floor over. It was also timing I was living more of a congregation/gentleman life style when it came out. Blackberry/powder hit me right to. I get Forty Dollars all too well.

Another side note. Bonnie Brae in Rescue Me is likely my favorite scene in a show. Watch it if you haven't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Couple friends of mine are big Jawbreaker fans, but Chicago punk is a giant blind spot for me. I'm only now getting around to the Kinsellas. You and JORR will have to lead me.

Which high school station were you at? I wish my high school had had a station; I would have lived in there. Alas, I went to high school in buttfucking nowhere.

Yeah I but out early cap'n jazz stuff. Further Beyond and Mann With Gunn records. Jade Tree owns all that know. We were 17-19 had no clue what we were doing.

Check out Gauge. If not for Gauge Cap'n Jazz doesn't exist. Best Chicago band from that era you never heard of. Called a Fugazi ripoff band at the time. Trust me that is a compliment. Their documentary is well worth a watch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:36 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

WDGC in downers grove. We had the largest transmitter in the country for a high school station. It was an old NBC or WBBM one. In the summer we could broadcast to Wisconsin. One of the better radio high schools. One of my friends from there now owns WCKG. He wasn't part of our crowd put in college he pursued it. He was bar tending and I ran into him and he was the overnight guy on the mix. I was like dude of all of us you took it seriously? Great dude I consult with him all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:42 pm 

Matt Dubiel? He's squatting on the Q101 IP. Tell him to sell it back. This 101KQX shit is a mouthful. A mouthful of shit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:49 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Matt Dubiel? He's squatting on the Q101 IP. Tell him to sell it back. This 101KQX shit is a mouthful. A mouthful of shit.

Yes indeed. He went after them when it was 87.7. He bought the q101 thing because he knew radio was dead. Figured to go to the internet. Don't have that much pull for your wish. He kinda likes his money.

Funny story, I was named after my uncle. Never met him he was in the navy. On leave he got in a car accident and died. Double date. I was going through some old papers in the attic found the death article. It read my name which made me white as ghost but the other name was Matt dubiel which was even creepier, seeing two names that could be yours. Don't go to the attic kids. Just don't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:58 pm 

I'm willing to believe that the 101.1 frequency is getting more listeners than the Q101 brand online. To paraphrase the great Frank Zappa, radio's not dead, it just smells funny.