It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dahl is back
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Bunch of old heads posting here. I don't see the RPB's, DB's, or Bagels of the world saying how this is will be must listen to radio. I'm still hoping for McNeil + Goff but I guess that's a pipe dream. Maybe Dahl + McNeil + Goff? DMG!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
spmack wrote:
Bunch of old heads posting here. I don't see the RPB's, DB's, or Bagels of the world saying how this is will be must listen to radio. I'm still hoping for McNeil + Goff but I guess that's a pipe dream. Maybe Dahl + McNeil + Goff? DMG!!!

Well if the zenith of radio gold to a lot of people here were the glory days of when B&B were "good" , to us old heads they couldn't touch how good Steve and Garry were . Not even in the same ballpark.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:55 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
spmack wrote:

Well if the zenith of radio gold to a lot of people here were the glory days of when B&B were "good" , to us old heads they couldn't touch how good Steve and Garry were . Not even in the same ballpark.

You're right. I guess if I were an executive I would would wonder if the 18-35 crowd would like this show as much as the 36-54 appears to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Hot damn.

This puts a lot of puzzle pieces together: why did Dahl decide to talk shit about Bill Leff for no reason? Why did WGN put Garry Meier on the shelf? Roe's going to WGN.

Roe's numbers have dropped like a rock over the last three years. I'm not so sure that GN will roll out a welcome mat unless he is willing to work on 13 week contracts and a large pay cut.

And I think Roe WOULD jump at that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:51 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Hot damn.

This puts a lot of puzzle pieces together: why did Dahl decide to talk shit about Bill Leff for no reason? Why did WGN put Garry Meier on the shelf? Roe's going to WGN.

Roe's numbers have dropped like a rock over the last three years. I'm not so sure that GN will roll out a welcome mat unless he is willing to work on 13 week contracts and a large pay cut.

Have you cleared any of these opinions with Larry Horowitz of Chicagolandsportsandmedia?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
spmack wrote:
You're right. I guess if I were an executive I would would wonder if the 18-35 crowd would like this show as much as the 36-54 appears to.

18-35s don't listen to the radio.

I'm at the tail end of that demo and I haven't listened to an actual radio show in 4-5 years. It's podcasts, and if you are going to do it you better bring something to the table or no one cares...also, don't hide behind a paywall. If you want to have some revenue stream do something like Jimmy Pardo (one show a week is free, second show is part of 'the player's club' that costs X amount a year to listen/watch to).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:17 am 

I'm in 18-35 and I still listen. But I have been going to podcasts more in the last few years. I wouldn't say the content is way better but I abhor commercials and podcasts skip them. I can stomach commercials on terrestrial if the show is any good but I haven't been entertained on a daily basis by a sports radio show in about a decade. I won't even put WSCR on in the car unless it's right after the top of the hour or right after the :30 mark. There's too great of a chance it will be a commercial.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Douchebag wrote:
Larz wrote:
All I can say is there are some people in the world who care more about themselves than others and will publicize purposely secret information before all parties involved with the news get a chance to be properly informed. Some places, like CRM, respect information and timelines, while others prefer to leak it and stroke their own ego. Everybody's different.

There is no official confirmation yet on Steve Dahl's joining WLS-AM and Cumulus' involvement with the Dahlcast. (There's more to the story, too.) When there is confirmation, I'll be happy to give my take on the subject.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I called him on that one using my nom de plume and asked if this was before or after he guaranteed back on March 12 that Mac was re-signing with 670 :lol: :roll:

So, Larz apparently now does not put any credence in anything Feder reports? Did Feder spank him recently?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:27 am 

I'm 35 now and I don't have any interest in Dahl or Dahl + Mac. But add Goff (or just someone younger and hipper), and I'd be down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
They won't even use Feder's name there:
Quote:
The Blogger Who Shall Not Be Named is very often correct on these stores. So we'll have to see if he/her track record remains intact.

Yeah, that guy has quite a track record. Someone should also ask Larz how WKQX is doing after he declared that alternative was a dead format and would never come back.

I did see on there that Roe said he's off the air effective immediately. I feel a little bad that he didn't get to do a final show after 18 years. Even Kathy & Judy got to say goodbye and their cancellation was one of the most abrupt and had the most bad feelings behind it. But that's radio.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:02 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I did see on there that Roe said he's off the air effective immediately. I feel a little bad that he didn't get to do a final show after 18 years. Even Kathy & Judy got to say goodbye and their cancellation was one of the most abrupt and had the most bad feelings behind it. But that's radio.

It sucks but in the era we live in he can still get his message out if he wants to

When they did this in the 70's and 80's that was all she wrote

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I guess I just feel bad for my grandma, who, according to the last ratings book, is the last human being who listens to Roe Conn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Larz wrote:
All I can say is there are some people in the world who care more about themselves than others and will publicize purposely secret information before all parties involved with the news get a chance to be properly informed. Some places, like CRM, respect information and timelines, while others prefer to leak it and stroke their own ego. Everybody's different.

There is no official confirmation yet on Steve Dahl's joining WLS-AM and Cumulus' involvement with the Dahlcast. (There's more to the story, too.) When there is confirmation, I'll be happy to give my take on the subject.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I called him on that one using my nom de plume and asked if this was before or after he guaranteed back on March 12 that Mac was re-signing with 670 :lol: :roll:

So, Larz apparently now does not put any credence in anything Feder reports? Did Feder spank him recently?
For many years, Larz worshipped at the Feder alter. He quoted him on a regular basis and held him in the highest regard. Then Feder put him in his place with a clear but nameless reference in the Sun Times which Larz took offense to. Ever since he's maintained an on-line feud with Feder...one which leaves him looking hurt, jealous and petty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:52 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Larry Brings A Butter Knife To A Gunfight

Posted by Larry Larry Larry on December 31, 2011, 10:12 am

From Feder's POTENT QUOTABLES OF 2011 from December 28th

“If you search the trades and all other reports locally and nationally, it is only Robert Feder, and those quoting him as the source, that call it ‘all news.’ From what I know, the new station doesn’t easily fall into any previously known format category.” — Larry Horwitz, the blogger known as ”Larz,” two weeks before Merlin Media switched Q101 to all news.
--------------------------------------

Larz (Responds in Feder's Comment Section)

It is very disappointing that the once-revered journalist Robert Feder would choose to take a quote of mine without permission and/or without a link back to its source. Much more disappointing is the fact the quote is taken out of context and with no date showing when it was given. I would have to assume this was done to make me, or at least my quote, look incorrect, while making Robert Feder himself look better. What a shame. The truth is my quote from early July about what was soon to take place at 101.1 FM was 100% accurate. The station was NOT flipping to all news at that time. It was going to be a new & unique format, combining news, entertainment stories, commentary and more. Had anybody from Merlin Media chosen to confide that information to Mr. Feder at that time, he would have known that, as well. Over the weeks this past Summer & Fall, the station's direction has changed a few times and is now what can be considered "all news" and is a much more traditional news format. My quote was 100% correct at the time it was given, while Feder's guesses about its format were, at that time, off the mark.

I have never had a problem admitting a mistake. This was not one of them.

Happy New Year,
Larz
ChicagolandRadioandMedia.com

-----------------------------------

Robert Feder Responds To Larry

Nice try, Larry, but there's nothing inaccurate or out of context in my item. (And your umbrage at my taking a quote of yours "without permission" is simply laughable.)

As I pointed out above, you disputed my reporting "TWO WEEKS before Merlin Media switched Q101 to all news." The date of your comment was July 14, to be exact. The station switched to all news July 29. What could be clearer than that?

I never once "guessed" about the format, Larry. From the day I broke the news of the sale on June 21 (http://bit.ly/lJGtoK), I reported consistently that the new format would be all news. It was and it is. You were the one who was all over the place with your predictions.

Now what was that about admitting a mistake? Happy New Year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:57 pm 

Larz is just upset he didn't have the Dahl story first. It's sour grapes, and he just looks like a moron here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Hot damn.

Have you cleared any of these opinions with Larry Horowitz of Chicagolandsportsandmedia?

I have not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
I guess I just feel bad for my grandma, who, according to the last ratings book, is the last human being who listens to Roe Conn.

Roeper killed that show.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This is about WLS vs. WGN now. WLS is changing its "format," moving away from political talk.

Dahl will smoke Bill and Wendy in the ratings. Unless Roe signs with WGN for afternoon drive...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:05 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Roeper killed that show.
WLS management killed that show by playing hardball with a top-rated show. Garry leaving set the downfall in motion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:07 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Larz is just upset he didn't have the ____ story first. It's sour grapes, and he just looks like a moron here.

Can probably save this as a template

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:07 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Roeper killed that show.
WLS management killed that show by playing hardball with a top-rated show. Garry leaving set the downfall in motion.

What happened between Roe and Garry?

Not a good split right?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Roeper killed that show.

Offering a second banana top dollar was not playing hardball. And like Dahl's show, Meier's wife killed the partnership.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Roeper killed that show.

What happened between Roe and Garry?

Not a good split right?

From Trib Archives

Talk-radio personality Garry Meier has taken a job hosting a mid-day program on a former FM rock station.

This news broke in September, 1993, and again yesterday.

Last time, Meier's new gig on WLUP-FM started very shortly after the breakup of his 14-year on-air partnership with Steve Dahl. It lasted a little less than a year.

This time, Meier's new gig on WCKG-FM (105.9) will start some three years after the break-up of his 8-year on-air partnership with Roe Conn.

That break-up was precipitated by Meier's view that his talents alone were worth more than the contract offer reportedly on the table -- $12 million over 10 years.

I've mocked the famous second banana in the past for this vanity, this self-destructive and highly inflated sense of his own importance. But perhaps I have misjudged him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:13 pm 

RadioNerd wrote:
This is about WLS vs. WGN now. WLS is changing its "format," moving away from political talk.

Dahl will smoke Bill and Wendy in the ratings. Unless Roe signs with WGN for afternoon drive...
Is Rush still on WLS? Savage? The only guy in the lineup who wasn't purely political was Roe...and he only moved that direction when the rest of the station did.

Dahl may beat B&W in a sort of tallest midget contest, but that won't be enough to turn WLS's fortunes around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:17 pm 

Seacrest wrote:

Last time, Meier's new gig on WLUP-FM started very shortly after the breakup of his 14-year on-air partnership with Steve Dahl. It lasted a little less than a year.

This time, Meier's new gig on WCKG-FM (105.9) will start some three years after the break-up of his 8-year on-air partnership with Roe Conn.

That break-up was precipitated by Meier's view that his talents alone were worth more than the contract offer reportedly on the table -- $12 million over 10 years.

I've mocked the famous second banana in the past for this vanity, this self-destructive and highly inflated sense of his own importance. But perhaps I have misjudged him.

Ah. So it wasnt a fight with Roe though

He's a dick for leaving Roe out of that speech he made. At least with Dahl, there's a reason

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
There is no reason with Dahl either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:25 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
There is no reason with Dahl either.

Well they did have a falling out though. It may be stupid but its a reason.

With Roe its just like "Not partners anymore so fuck you"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

He's a dick for leaving Roe out of that speech he made. At least with Dahl, there's a reason

Though it's not mentioned in the opinion, I believe that Conn testified against Meier(s) in this, and it pretty much killed Meier(s).

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/il-court-of- ... 67728.html

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Correct.

He and his wife felt he was worth more than $1.2M a year. Roe was paid the same amount.

This what Roe reportedly signed for in 2010

Roe Conn signs new deal with WLS-AM
By Lewis Lazare on February 26, 2010 11:25 AM | No Comments

Roe Conn has signed a new contract at WLS-AM (890) that will keep him the host of the politically-conservative radio station's afternoon drive show at least through the end of 2011. Conn's new contract comes despite his show having shown little strength in recent months in the key 25 to 54 adult demo in the Arbitron ratings. In the most recent January ratings book, Conn ranked a disappointing 23rd in afternoon drive.

In announcing Conn's new contract, WLS-AM general manager Michael Damsky said Conn adds a "dimension of leadership and continuity" to the staff that is critical at any radio station. But one detail left out of the contract announcement was any mention of Conn's salary under the new deal. A source close to developments told us Conn's base salary in the new contract is in the neighborhood of $250,000 a year, but Damsky insists it is significantly more than that. When the radio business was in much better shape financially, Conn was one of Chicago's so-called million-dollar mouths in the industry. But that select group of radio talent has shrunk dramatically just in the past year

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I hear Dag Julen and Brenden Greely will be on with him (unless you've heard his podcast, you will have no idea who they are). Traffic updates removed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next