It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game Over
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Curious Hair wrote:
So is this it for Jimmy DeCastro? So far he took his best host off the air and moved him to the internet, brought in Brandmeier, moved Brandmeier to the internet, started a sports talk station, lost the Cubs, shut down the sports talk station, and then fired Garry and Brandmeier. Shit, they might be better off bringing back Pig Virus, and he's dead.

Jimmy DC was a brilliant radio guy. Did he all of a sudden get stupid? Nothing that he has done since taking over at WGN has made sense. Its almost as if he has done the exact opposite of what should have been done.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
@ChetCoppock: radio station #TheGame is dead on arrival. feel bad for the guys who invested their futures. the concept was a disaster @Hollywood_Yates

@jmueller_857: @ChetCoppock @Hollywood_Yates it's a shame though. Wanted a station to compete with Bernstein and co.

@ChetCoppock: @jmueller_857 @Hollywood_Yates Bernstein's a whore

@Schmutzie_: @ChetCoppock That time at ND when a guy yelled out in the crowd "Hey Chet you suck!"- that was me. Did you say whore? http://t.co/rKOv2pcGEj

-------

Chet-
A concept that sadly went nowhere fast... I feel sorry for the guys who invested their future in "the Game." They never had a prayer. Sadly, legendary broadcaster Jimmy de Castro struck out. A shame

@ChetCoppock: @RamblinGrimace has the brain of a snail. has to be a full blown lightweight.

@ChetCoppock: How could a broadcaster w/ the genius of #JimmydeCastro believe the #Game - d.o.a. - could possibly work or generate rev? @MarkPotash

I don't agree with Chet. "Invested their futures"? How long can you wait at the Score? Drinky has been passed over 5 times. Goff never had a shot there. Bernstein is gonna be there for 25 more years. Terry will never die. Mully and Hanley are locked in for at least 5 more years you would think. They just hired Mannely.

So it was still the right move for Finfer and McNight even though it failed.

The only mistake was Hog as I said earlier. Had the same job at the Score and went to this shit hole? That was dumb.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I think Hoge became Señor Blogger.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

HOG had a BLOG at the SCORE as well. Sure, he was Jr. to Bernstein's Sr.

But who the hell was reading THE GAME's website anyway? Then again, I don't read the Score's site either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Beardown wrote:
Nas wrote:
Is there a podcast for this? I only made it to page 3 so I apologize if it has already been posted.

I just rewound the live feed at the time to see when Finfer got the news. You could see Finfer lean over to read it. And like others have said, his partner looked nervous cuz he knew and Finfer didn't. I'm sure the podcast is on their website. Don't know the website. Google THE GAME 87.7

I'm not sure about the timing on that. Did you notice that during his initial rant Finfer told Quigs he wasn't referring to him (regarding poor treatment by management) and that he knew he couldn't say anything? If he had just found out, how could he have known about Quigs pre-show knowledge? They must have discussed it prior to them returning from break.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:33 pm 

Fuckin Schmutzie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
rogers park bryan wrote:
Fuckin Schmutzie

No shit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Scorehead wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
So is this it for Jimmy DeCastro? So far he took his best host off the air and moved him to the internet, brought in Brandmeier, moved Brandmeier to the internet, started a sports talk station, lost the Cubs, shut down the sports talk station, and then fired Garry and Brandmeier. Shit, they might be better off bringing back Pig Virus, and he's dead.

Jimmy DC was a brilliant radio guy. Did he all of a sudden get stupid? Nothing that he has done since taking over at WGN has made sense. Its almost as if he has done the exact opposite of what should have been done.

Was he brilliant, or was he just the man who happened to be in charge when Brandmeier, Kev, Dahl, and Meier made magic?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:55 am 

the latter of course...but isn't that always the way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:24 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Was he brilliant, or was he just the man who happened to be in charge when Brandmeier, Kev, Dahl, and Meier made magic?

He discovered and developed Matthews, so he get full credit for that.

Didn't he put them all together (including Stern)? More importantly, he kept them together when each of those guys hated each other. He also did a great job of balancing the uncomfortable with the funny. Ed Tyll and Eddie Schwartz are examples of guys who were unlistenable outside of the context of De Castro stations.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Look at Schmutzie running in tout suite to defend Bernstein's honor.

At least he brought the funny for about the first time in his life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:00 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Larry Wert was running the station day to day when that was their line-up.

No hope for a different dial position in the near future is what precipitated the move yesterday.

There is ample room for another sports talk station here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:03 am 

Agreed, but no one seems willing to yield the room for it. St. Louis has what, five? They only have three teams and one's leaving!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Agreed, but no one seems willing to yield the room for it. St. Louis has what, five? They only have three teams and one's leaving!

I can see a quick reincarnation somewhere without the high priced talent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Peoria Matt wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
So, P-Matt, Ben F. said on air that you tweeted or texted him the news.

Did you, or did he actually come here and see it?

No he didn't say that.

Julie read my text then saw the article. Ben said he saw it on his twitter feed.

What difference does it make?

And how could Finfer have not seen this coming!?!?!?!?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Sausage
At least Speigs had the balls to say the title of the radio station...B&B have always been so weird about ever being able to freely talk about other stations...reminds me of guys in a fraternity who would refuse to make friends in other houses...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I can see a quick reincarnation somewhere without the high priced talent.

that's what we've been predicting. Maybe Brandmeier ends up at WLS too and everybody else gets repackaged with Mac in the fold.

OR maybe Mac backed out and it was the last straw, including the frequency issue.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:17 am 

cluv8484 wrote:
At least Speigs had the balls to say the title of the radio station...B&B have always been so weird about ever being able to freely talk about other stations...reminds me of guys in a fraternity who would refuse to make friends in other houses...

The WWF and WCW would never refer to each other by name either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
cluv8484 wrote:

Dan Bernstein @dan_bernstein · 19h 19 hours ago
I wish the best to those at @gamechicago who just got the news. Many smart, nice, hardworking pros there who'll find bigger, better things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I really don't understand DeCastros whole game p!an with this. Give up after 9 months? You hired a bunch of nobody's , put them on a frequency only dogs can hear , then shitcan the operation after less than a year to give them any chance? Hat was he expecting to happen? He couldn't have been surprised by the ratings right? Its like they threw this together to fail on purpose. I'm not seeing any logic the way this was input from the start.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
badrogue17 wrote:
I really don't understand DeCastros whole game p!an with this. Give up after 9 months? You hired a bunch of nobody's , put them on a frequency only dogs can hear , then shitcan the operation after less than a year to give them any chance? Hat was he expecting to happen? He couldn't have been surprised by the ratings right? Its like they threw this together to fail on purpose. I'm not seeing any logic the way this was input from the start.

Maybe they tested the frequency on DB's magic radio.

Last edited by Hatchetman on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:29 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
cluv8484 wrote:

Dan Bernstein @dan_bernstein · 19h 19 hours ago
I wish the best to those at @gamechicago who just got the news. Many smart, nice, hardworking pros there who'll find bigger, better things.

Dan's only referring to management, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
cluv8484 wrote:

gotta run it by people with law degrees (but only ones who pronounce 'dissertation' correctly)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
badrogue17 wrote:

It was probably a drunken bet at a bar after a conversation right out of the Three Stooges' Hoi Polloi ...

"I'll wager that I can take a bunch of retreads and, in three months' time, in a new environment, make them into gentlemen sports radio stars."
"Look at what's out there; anyone can do that ... you have to use no-names too."
"I'll do it with Score castoffs from their fake contests, but then I need nine months."
"Do it on a fake frequency and with Harry Teinowitz, and you've got yourself a wager."
"Can I stream on the internet?"
"Only from a url that doesn't reference the station in any way."
"It's a deal, and in nine months, I'll collect the wager."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
By Dan Bernstein-
(CBS) It was a poorly kept secret that the days were numbered for our friends/competitors at WGWG-FM.
A bad signal on the dial, haphazard managementand inconsistent leadership conspired to doom the effort from the start, so we were already feeling for friends who had taken on professional and personal risk to be part of a start-up station in one of the country’s most competitive radio markets.
But even if the data had been showing it was only a matter of time before The Game ended, the way it went down Thursday was bush league.
Gather the team together and tell them in person. Don’t make them learn of their fate via Twitter, while on the air.
It’s not the fault of the messenger, Robert Feder, as credible a reporter as we have left covering anything in Chicago. To blame him is wrong. He was doing his job to break news on his beat, and it’s the responsibility of those running the station to be ahead of the story internally.
Look these people in the eye, and thank them for their dedication and hard work. To have them processing something so emotional in real time, exposed on the air, was cruel.
I am proud to have worked with Ben Finfer, Adam Hoge and Connor McKnight at WSCR and would be so again wherever our paths may lead. They and others deserved better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:39 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

And the thousands of other listeners that listened to other formats on this frequency. This is such a terrible excuse.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Northside_Dan wrote:
By Dan Bernstein-
(CBS) It was a poorly kept secret that the days were numbered for our friends/competitors at WGWG-FM.
A bad signal on the dial, haphazard management and inconsistent leadership conspired to doom the effort from the start, so we were already feeling for friends who had taken on professional and personal risk to be part of a start-up station in one of the country’s most competitive radio markets.
But even if the data had been showing it was only a matter of time before The Game ended, the way it went down Thursday was bush league.
Gather the team together and tell them in person. Don’t make them learn of their fate via Twitter, while on the air.
It’s not the fault of the messenger, Robert Feder, as credible a reporter as we have left covering anything in Chicago. To blame him is wrong. He was doing his job to break news on his beat, and it’s the responsibility of those running the station to be ahead of the story internally.
Look these people in the eye, and thank them for their dedication and hard work. To have them processing something so emotional in real time, exposed on the air, was cruel.
I am proud to have worked with Ben Finfer, Adam Hoge and Connor McKnight at WSCR and would be so again wherever our paths may lead. They and others deserved better.

It's an easy blurb to write, but he's not wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:45 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

And the thousands of other listeners that listened to other formats on this frequency. This is such a terrible excuse.

Didnt come in at my house.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:46 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Didnt come in at my house.

You sound like Pistorius.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Northside_Dan wrote:
By Dan Bernstein-
A bad signal on the dial, haphazard management and inconsistent leadership conspired to doom the effort from the start, so we were already feeling for friends who had taken on professional and personal risk to be part of a start-up station in one of the country’s most competitive radio markets.

If anyone knows how to deal with something with class, professonalism, and dignity, it is Dan Bernstein.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next