It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: BRick's Picks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:05 pm 

spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So why aren't songs like The Beatles made created now and popular outside of The Beatles and the nostalgia tour associated with them?

Somebody more versed in music structure/education could answer this way better than me...but the simple response to this is:

There are thousands of bands that make songs "like the beatles" - rhythms, structures, etc. The Beatles are probably the biggest influence on current bands today.
That is kind of the point though. Why aren't those bands making songs similar to The Beatles?

Huh?

They are.
Who is? Name some popular bands. Name some similar songs.

Not influences. Name bands that have similar songs.

I must be missing all of these artists that sound just like The Beatles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
In a vacuum, if you just heard the songs without knowing any history, you might easily think Oasis was as great as the Beatles.
Thank you for agreeing with me! Finally a guy with bonafide music chops giving me some validation.

He's saying you have no knowledge about music and you are agreeing with him, while arguing with everybody else that you know more about the Beatles music. Am I reading this right?

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
No, it really won't. The STEM perspective on music is about as useful as a fish-drawn carriage.
Why don't you think music is on a path of improvement, and why did it peak with The Beatles?

I never said it did. I don't believe that music "peaked." There's great music every year -- none of it necessarily better or worse than what came before or after. I don't concern myself with that. I know what I like.

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Pour some sugar on me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:09 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
No, it really won't. The STEM perspective on music is about as useful as a fish-drawn carriage.
Why don't you think music is on a path of improvement, and why did it peak with The Beatles?

I never said it did. I don't believe that music "peaked." There's great music every year -- none of it necessarily better or worse than what came before or after. I don't concern myself with that. I know what I like.

We'd like to know what you like music or otherwise. Consider this part of the 2015 meat thermometer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Music peaked with Hildegard of Bingen and has been downhill ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 pm 

I am passionate about jazz, classical, electronic, and the bedrock of album/alternative/indie rock that one cultivates from 15 years of the Loop, the Drive, and WXRT. I harbor a not-so-secret appreciation for house and R&B from listening to B96 in its prime. I'm capable of enjoying just about everything except bullshit Celtic folk and smooth jazz.

But this thread isn't about me.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 pm 

spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
In a vacuum, if you just heard the songs without knowing any history, you might easily think Oasis was as great as the Beatles.
Thank you for agreeing with me! Finally a guy with bonafide music chops giving me some validation.

He's saying you have no knowledge about music and you are agreeing with him, while arguing with everybody else that you know more about the Beatles music. Am I reading this right?
No.

He is making the point that the history of The Beatles makes them more important but in a vacuum you may think that Oasis is as good as them. I'm saying the same thing. The Beatles are historically much more important. They provided much more influence.

However, if you listened to The Beatles and Oasis in a vacuum and knew nothing else about either of them, you could very well come out thinking Oasis is better. I've listened to Oasis on repeat for days. I've never had the desire to do that for The Beatles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I've listened to Oasis on repeat for days.

Well, I'm glad your kidnappers let you out eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I've listened to Oasis on repeat for days.

Well, I'm glad your kidnappers let you out eventually.

Wilco sucks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:17 pm 

Once again, let me make this clear. This is not about influence, or importance. It is about the physical product that was produced and exists.

To use an example in the arts, I understand the importance of Laurel and Hardy as comedians. That doesn't mean that I don't think Chris Rock or Louis CK puts out a significantly better product and that comedy has improved since those days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I am passionate about jazz, classical, electronic, and the bedrock of album/alternative/indie rock that one cultivates from 15 years of the Loop, the Drive, and WXRT. I harbor a not-so-secret appreciation for house and R&B from listening to B96 in its prime. I'm capable of enjoying just about everything except bullshit Celtic folk.

But this thread isn't about me.

I just want see you get basted like a Thanksgiving turkey and then probed with a perverbial meat thermometer. You're like a message board hero to me, and there is a simple delight in seeing one's champion being knocked on his ass only to rise and retain the belt. Happy New Year CH. I want you on that wall. I need you on that wall. In CH I trust.

Last edited by denisdman on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Once again, let me make this clear. This is not about influence, or importance. It is about the physical product that was produced and exists.

To use an example in the arts, I understand the importance of Laurel and Hardy as comedians. That doesn't mean that I don't think Chris Rock or Louis CK puts out a significantly better product and that comedy has improved since those days.

I think you're real close here.

I think your conclusion needs just as bit of tweaking

The comedy analogy s a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I've listened to Oasis on repeat for days. I've never had the desire to do that for The Beatles.

The vast majority of music fans, off all ages, would not do this. Not because of nostalgia. (and you're blurring the line between nostalgia and influence.)

My parents lived the Beatles, I believe still own all of the original vinyl, but don't listen to them anymore. But people significantly younger than me do. People significantly younger than me do not listen to Oasis on repeat, that I know of. That's not due to "nostalgia".

Influence matters in this discussion though. There are current musicians who are highly influential on other bands as well - not because of nostalgia, but because of their perceived superior talent, skill, etc. You can't dismiss influence and say that it doesn't count.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:21 pm 

the fact that you're talking about music that way means you don't appreciate it the way an artist would. just leave it at that, brick. not everyone is an expert on everything. i can't figure out computer engineering so i'm not going to make some brazen remark just to get an argument started.

you can like whatever you want or dislike whatever you want. if you don't understand art, it's not the end of the world. music is always derivative of something else, and inspired by something else...EVEN CELTIC FOLK MUSIC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Then there is no sense in having this discussion with you. You are literally eliminating one of the biggest factors in the discussion for no reason, other than it doesn't fit your conclusion.
Many of the world's most influential bands are influential because they produce a superior musical product (in the opinion of fellow musicians and fans alike). :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:23 pm 

spanky wrote:
You can't dismiss influence and say that it doesn't count.
I most certainly can and I did.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:23 pm 

W_Z wrote:
music is always derivative of something else, and inspired by something else...EVEN CELTIC FOLK MUSIC.

Nobody actually likes Celtic Folk Music.
Zero people. Just like Wilco.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:24 pm 

spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Then there is no sense in having this discussion with you. You are literally eliminating one of the biggest factors in the discussion for no reason, other than it doesn't fit your conclusion.
Many of the world's most influential bands are influential because they produce a superior musical product (in the opinion of fellow musicians and fans alike). :lol:
Fair enough. You can stop responding then if you don't feel it is a topic worth discussing.

i'm gonna craig duncan all over this bitch.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:

I said that exact same thing when I broke up with Suzy Vonderohe in 7th grade.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:25 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Fair enough. You can stop responding then if you don't feel it is a topic worth discussing.

How many more pages???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:25 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:

You're also a budding expert on weight loss in the face of those with personal experience and sustained success on the matter. I admire your versatility. If you keep CH on his toes, you'll become greater than any earthly being.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:26 pm 

W_Z wrote:
the fact that you're talking about music that way means you don't appreciate it the way an artist would. just leave it at that, brick. not everyone is an expert on everything. i can't figure out computer engineering so i'm not going to make some brazen remark just to get an argument started.
There isn't a right or wrong way to appreciate music.

I am just easily able to segment it.

1) What is influential or important.
2) What I think is of the highest quality.

1 and 2 may not be the same. There are bands/artists I hate that score very highly on #1 and bands/artists I love that have literally no influence or importance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:27 pm 

W_Z wrote:
music is always derivative of something else, and inspired by something else...EVEN CELTIC FOLK MUSIC.

spanky wrote:

Hey, let's not even acknowledge the existence of this cheese grater of the ears.

denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:

You're also a budding expert on weight loss in the face of those with personal experience and sustained success on the matter. I admire your versatility. If you keep CH on his toes, you'll become greater than any earthly being.

You don't have to! You can just stand there and let him kick your ass!

sorry, i had to...

spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

How many more pages???

I'll do my part to make sure this hits 69. The dude abides, and I hate the fucking Eagles. Well I love them but the dude doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
W_Z wrote:
There isn't a right or wrong way to appreciate music.

I am just easily able to segment it.

1) What is influential or important.
2) What I think is of the highest quality.

1 and 2 may not be the same. There are bands/artists I hate that score very highly on #1 and bands/artists I love that have literally no influence or importance.

But your lack of understanding of the artform releases you from your obligation to try and appreciate it, so therefore your argument is nullified. sorry rick. you lose. you get nothing. good day, sir.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:28 pm 

W_Z wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:

You don't have to! You can just stand there and let him kick your ass!

sorry, i had to...

But my ass is a harder target than three years ago! Much smaller.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:29 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
W_Z wrote:

spanky wrote:

Hey, let's not even acknowledge the existence of this cheese grater of the ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk2sBFkZz3k

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next