It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Someone in your position should not be working until 5pm on NYE.

I had a friend who worked a big firm. He was part of a team working on a big transaction that had to close by midnight of that year. He was at the office until it closed at 11 pm on NYE.
Sounds like bad management.

How so?

In honesty, I don't really care as there is no way you understand the components of such a deal but I'd like to hear it anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:21 pm 

Get a better job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:22 pm 

spanky wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I'd say parties start at 9 pm.

I'd say that makes you sound old and worried about making it until 12:00

If I start earlier, why would it signal that I'd be concerned to make it to midnight?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:24 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Get a better job.

there probably isn't one out there when taking everything into consideration

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
How so?

In honesty, I don't really care as there is no way you understand the components of such a deal but I'd like to hear it anyway.
It is never a good thing to be working on a project 1-2 hours prior to its deadline but even more inexcusable around a time when the expectation should be that people aren't working and instead enjoying time with friends and family.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
How so?

It is never a good thing to be working on a project 1-2 hours prior to its deadline but even more inexcusable around a time when the expectation should be that people aren't working and instead enjoying time with friends and family.

Cmon Rick you know a super high end deal/negotiation can go to the last minute. They were working on a power point that late.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
How so?

like I said

Rick, this wasn't some single family house closing. Fluid does not begin to describe these deals.

The level of access increases with the level of pay. Big firms start people at salaries that 99% of this country will never max out at in their lives. You have no expected enjoyment of time with friends and family in return.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:40 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
How so?

like I said

Rick, this wasn't some single family house closing. Fluid does not begin to describe these deals.

The level of access increases with the level of pay. Big firms start people at salaries that 99% of this country will never max out at in their lives. You have no expected enjoyment of time with friends and family in return.
Still doesn't change what I said.

Your answer seems to be "Well, you get paid a lot so deal with it".

If it was handled correctly by all management, they aren't waiting until 11pm on NYE to finish it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:40 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Cmon Rick you know a super high end deal/negotiation can go to the last minute. They were working on a power point that late.
Of course it can. It doesn't mean it had to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:09 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
spanky wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I'd say parties start at 9 pm.

I'd say that makes you sound old and worried about making it until 12:00

If I start earlier, why would it signal that I'd be concerned to make it to midnight?

I mean you are old, if you started your party before 9 pm you'd be asleep by 10:30.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:17 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
How so?

like I said

Still doesn't change what I said.

Your answer seems to be "Well, you get paid a lot so deal with it".

If it was handled correctly by all management, they aren't waiting until 11pm on NYE to finish it.

That is only in response to part of your answer about expectations.

I'm not arguing the rest because it would be wasted on you and you would send an argumentative response that might appear logical but objectively shows no sophistication with the subject matter.

Take that as a win if you like.

Last edited by good dolphin on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:28 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I'm no arguing the rest because it would be wasted on you
You keep on saying things like this.

It's ok if you don't have a valid response but I'm certainly not going to take your word for it that you do.

Anyways, I'll take your word on it that it is absolutely vital for you and your employees to be working at 4:30PM on NYE and there is no way that you could be finished with it all at 1PM. Lots of work that was impossible to do before then! In fact, you may want to consider being open 9-5 on Christmas Day too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:35 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I'm no arguing the rest because it would be wasted on you
You keep on saying things like this.

It's ok if you don't have a valid response but I'm certainly not going to take your word for it that you do.

Anyways, I'll take your word on it that it is absolutely vital for you and your employees to be working at 4:30PM on NYE and there is no way that you could be finished with it all at 1PM. Lots of work that was impossible to do before then! In fact, you may want to consider being open 9-5 on Christmas Day too!

changed the argument

We were discussing the 11 pm work of a friend.

My office hours are a completely different reasoning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am 

good dolphin wrote:
No we weren't. You stopped that one without even giving the slightest bit of content about it in a condescending manner.
good dolphin wrote:
Im taking your word on it that 4:30PM on NYE is vital working hours too. After all, how could I understand the "sophistication" of the mysterious legal world that allows you to spend hours per week posting on a message board during business hours but somehow must be open when most businesses are closed and people are more worried about champagne than documents!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
No we weren't. You stopped that one without even giving the slightest bit of content about it in a condescending manner.
good dolphin wrote:
Im taking your word on it that 4:30PM on NYE is vital working hours too. After all, how could I understand the "sophistication" of the mysterious legal world that allows you to spend hours per week posting on a message board during business hours but somehow must be open when most businesses are closed and people are more worried about champagne than documents!

Yes you did.

My office being open is much more mundane.

I'm in the Rick vortex.

No you didn't. Yes you did. No you didn't. Yes you did. No you didn't. Yes you did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 am 

good dolphin wrote:
No you didn't. Yes you did. No you didn't. Yes you did. No you didn't. Yes you did.
You said I wouldn't understand in a condescending manner so I moved on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
http://espn.go.com/college-football/bow ... -drug-test

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:08 am 

Why does the NCAA play their championship on a Monday where 100% of the country has to work?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:16 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Someone in your position should not be working until 5pm on NYE.

I ended up watching the second half of the OSU-Alabama game the next morning because it was late and I was tired. This will be better for me. Those who have to work until 5pm on NYE will have to suffer though.

All of our higher ups were in the office on NYE (to my chagrin). A lot of businesses treat it like a normal work day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:31 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Why does the NCAA play their championship on a Monday where 100% of the country has to work?

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 am 

Douchebag wrote:

7:30 start time puts it well past traditional business hours for 75% of the country. Also it is not just a Monday, it is a dead Monday where almost nothing else is going on.

Still, did you see a lot of people going to NCAA Championship watching parties?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:33 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

7:30 start time puts it well past traditional business hours for 75% of the country. Also it is not just a Monday, it is a dead Monday where almost nothing else is going on.

It went until 11:30 here, 12:30 in the markets that ESPN cares about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:34 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

The game ended past midnight on Tuesday morning in the Ohio market. How is that good for the NCAA?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Can't go any earlier. It already was starting 5:30 PST.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:35 am 

pittmike wrote:
Can't go any earlier. It already was starting 5:30 PST.

Nobody in Oregon works.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Selfishly Friday would've been awesome. Championship party, hungover/reload Saturday NFL watching and then Sunday hungover NFL watching.

But TV rating I guess would suffer on a Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:56 am 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

The game ended past midnight on Tuesday morning in the Ohio market. How is that good for the NCAA?

It isn't. Maybe they like the MLB business model.

Still, they cannot compete against the NFL playoffs. I guess the optimal would be a championship during the off week before the super bowl but that would be far too late in the year.

My optimal would be something like putting the championship in the current Rose Bowl time slot but unlike Michael Jackson, I'm not the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:59 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

It isn't. Maybe they like the MLB business model.

Still, they cannot compete against the NFL playoffs. I guess the optimal would be a championship during the off week before the super bowl but that would be far too late in the year.

My optimal would be something like putting the championship in the current Rose Bowl time slot but unlike Michael Jackson, I'm not the world.

They could have played this game on Sunday night. There wasn't an NFL game last night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 am 

What I am seeing early says the game had HUGE ratings last night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:14 pm 

someone needs to make a Most People mult...

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NYD at night with a hangover and having to go to work tomorrow isn't ideal either.

monday morning after the superbowl isn't ideal either but they're never going to change the super bowl sunday schedule either. in this case, i think they know they'll get their ratings regardless...their demographic isn't GD's boiler room suits, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next