It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 Concerts thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Might go see Helmet at the Double Door March 13th.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
for darko and the band he's trying to book a gig for, idk the capacity of sub-t off the top of my head (it can't be that much.... 250-500 for the upstairs "proper" venue?) however i can vouch for sub-t as a great place to have/attend a show. for people who are imported from the suburbs getting off at the damen blue line is about as dangerous as driving down western ave all the way south past/through 290/55/southside with your windows up and and your head on a swivel.

yeah there's prolly some shit going on outside of your car/personal-universe but as long as you keep your (proverbial/metaphorical) windows up and keep on moving forward you'll be alright. wicker park has undergone quite a makeover since i first got to experience the neighborhood around 98-99. the "soul" of the neighborhood disappeared along with hito's (where those 3.99 4packs of becks tallboys were the veritable onramp to ADVENTURE back in the day) great horse / crazy horse / whatever (home of the 2am sleazy burrito that we theorized had rat meat in it) and of course the homeless people who used to get awfully cozy there on milwaukee ave and had no qualms about coming up to you and asking for a few $$$ for [sob story]. the gentle tentacles of gentrification gripped wicker park began gripping the area around ~98-99 and what used to be a fun and somewhat gamey neighborhood became a laminated home of suburban kids who graduated college @ MSU and came out to chicago in order to try and get some use for that "fashion degree", ultimately deciding to live in a "hip" "cool" or dare-i-say "happening" neighborhood.

there's lots of nice bars/eateries that i choose to call "laminated" (in terms of the gloss and luster of gentrification slowly turning an urban neighborhood habitat into the overglorified strip/mall aka "lifestyle center" that one could argue epitomizes suburbia v3.0 (assuming suburbia v1.0 started in earnest around the 1950s when ike's defensive road network found a useful ulterior purpose as arteries pumping the blood of white flight) AHEM, meaning that it's a veritable playground for yuppies/hipsters who are either new to the whole wicker park experience and think rodan is the coolest place ever, or those veteran yuppies/hipsters who are actually on a first name basis with rodan's weeaboo owner (PAGING JORR! =) and chuckle everytime they're reminded that the guy has an asian wife. GEE GO FIGURE GIVEN THAT HE RUNS FUCKING *RODAN*

(and yes, for the record i'm on the side of "i wouldn't pass the smell test to get into rodan nowadays" as my sarcastic armor to protect me from the realization that i'm the only person in the whole damn place missing any teeth. it's like you took the best and brightest (just ask them) from the non-cubs-game nisei lounge crowd and told them they'd go meet some musicians and/or artists if they hung out at rodan)

so wow hey tangent/TLDR/WHO CARES THIS AINT ABOUT CONCERTS SINI!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just took a few minutes to ramble about wicker park because i think it's a swell place for darko's band to have a concert nowadays. like i first said it's ridiculously easy to get to via pubtrans (parking might be a bit of a bitch but typically if you park down north ave heading back towards western you'll find something down around that goofy bicycle bar called "handlebar/s" or whatever. and then you gotta pay your tribute to daley's buddies as it'll prolly cost you $4-6 to park for the up-to-2-hours that it takes to get you to 9pm when the meter hustle simmers down for the night, but hey you lot are prolly credit-card-having-people so you dont have to worry about "where the hell am i going to find $5 in quarters in the next 5 minutes?") ---- and then once you're there the neighborhood is chock full of quality restaurants/bars/shops (reckless records on milwaukee is a wonderful record store and the wicker park / milwaukee ave one is definitely my favorite out of the trio/duo (cuz i think that one of the three maybe closed? idk) and it's not too "gamey" so people who proudly live in the suburbs to stay away from the riffraff of the world ("i know! if i live in a place where you have to have a car to survive that'll weed out the undesirables who don't own cars and my life will be that much more serene!) because by and large those types were weeded out of the area 10-15yrs ago.

while i can tell you that.... shit, about 5-6 years ago i was able to run into some street guy who squatted in a back alley down there and have a sunrise-fueled crack adventure, that's definitely the exception and not the rule. also at the time i was actively seeking out life in order to get some experiences together for the inevitable future novel, so it would be fair to say that i was "looking for trouble." the last assembled group of riffraff-looking-people i encountered was either around the same time or in 2012 when i happened across a group of ~8 kids who were squatting and hitchhiking across america "for the lulz." yeah i think one of them said something about this being their ode to "on the road"; whatever the case they were all about going crosscountry and experiencing life on the streets about as literally as you can make that statement, as they actually hung out on street corners begging/panhandling for $$$ to fund their next adventure out of chicago going to ??? ---- you know that at least one of these kids had a trust fund from mom&dad and that's how they were pulling this off, but i'm guessing that in the name of "art" they decided to see if they could successfully beg their way across america in (the) ~2010/s.

they invited me to go with them and i'm pretty sure that at the time i would have been able to just go on a whim..... but then again i've turned down something like ~5-10 compelling offers to leave my suburban/chicagoan existence and go off seeking adventure, love, glory, purpose, and ultimately life. you haven't lived until you've had a rapper who you own some vinyl by on the phone with you telling you that at some point you gotta "step up and put yourself out there" otherwise you're just gonna sit at home for the rest of your life content with the inherent mediocrity of the 9-5 lower-to-middle-middle-class life that you're mostly mooching off of. and hey between you and me if i'm gonna just up and say "fuck it" and disappear i'm going to do it to run out to LA and pretend i'm a rapper as opposed to rolling with a bunch of kids in leather jackets with plans to hang out on street corners and beg for $$$ all the way across america. i should have asked dude if they had a blog cuz that woulda been an interesting one....

but i digress. wicker park is cool, and sub-t itself is a solid venue that's got location location location which means plenty of fun things to do before/after the concert to turn it into a proper day/evening out on the town, and out of that list you put out there i'd definitely aim to have the show there. there's appeal for both city folk and suburban folk, and of course since i'm assuming your band isn't a hiphop band you're not going to be dragging any suburbanites into a neighborhood where they're going to feel like they should have shelled out extra $$$ for the deluxe version of their car alarm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:08 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
oh yeah and..... concerts!

in terms of me and my incredibly niche tastes i don't know of anything really going on in the near/future.... but invariably some quality stuff will pop up because this is chicago and people want to play shows here. i wanna say that com truise (yes the name is incredibly stupid. and he makes the same song over and over and over and over and over again**. but at least it's a good song =) is playing a show soon, however i seem to remember that being around october cuz i know he played here around last february or something and i was surprised to see him back so soon (and gentlepeople, the "talent" at that com truise show was fucking incredible. i know that my post-aphex-twin/post-"IDM" (intelligent dance music... god i hate that term) tastes aren't going to win any sort of popularity contests, especially on this board, but there was enough !!!! women of college-ages up at lincoln hall for that ~early14 com truise show that even if you hated the music you could still end up loving life. just look for the chick/s whose friends dragged them to teh show and hate the music as much as you do and BOOM! there's your conversational "in."

indeed that com truise show was on sept 20. but i can tell you that i definitely remember him playing schuba's around late 2010/early-11 and searching google i can see he's played schubas/lincoln hall in january 2012 and then was back to play somewhere else on august 28, 2012 (at 2:30pm no less!) and then back AGAIN house of blues on dec 29, 2012.... and hell i just found a video of that 2011 show which was from october 2011. this guy must hate his home.

so call it a hunch that at some point this year com truise will be playing a show in chicago. it's worth attending if you dig his indelibly-personal-yet-wannabe-BOC style and, unless the one show i went to was a total fluke, attractive young women. if you like either of those go see com truise.

** = only 3 URLs per message otherwise i'd regale you with another 5+ examples of how his songs sound the same. as a rule of thumb his remixes tend to have lyrics and his proper songs don't. that remix i linked to with the longer link with "talent" is a personal favorite.... i'd probably hate myself for liking the original indie-rock-song, but i can't help but sing along when that song pops up on my mp3 player. c'est la vie que sera sera so it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:16 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:

Me too!

I saw them there a couple years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:23 pm 

spanky wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

Me too!

I saw them there a couple years ago.

I saw them at Metro during the Eisenhower administration.

Look forward to invariably not meeting you there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:26 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:

Same here.
I've changed my look since the last time I didn't meet you, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
How many of you are going to the Taylor Swift concert in July?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:28 pm 

spanky wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

Same here.

Are we talking just updating or a full-on collar relaunch?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:30 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
spanky wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

Same here.

Unbuttoned button downs, no tie.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:31 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
How many of you are going to the Taylor Swift concert in July?

Not for free

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:35 pm 

spanky wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
spanky wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

Same here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
spanky wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

Yous guys are penises!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Slayer @ The Rave in Milwaukee October 16.

I guess Anthrax and Megadeth will be there and they're calling it some kind of reunion of "Clash of the titans". Whatever...Slayer is there.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:46 am 

Bagels wrote:
They Might Be Giants @ The Vic, 4/17

Id go to that

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:47 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
Can't believe I forgot to mention:
U2
United Center
6/29/15
Row 12 in Section 311.
Don't care, just want to be in the building.
:D
Bono just said last week that due to his accident, he might not be able to
ever play guitar again, but that shouldn't stop him from singing.
Hope the tour begins as planned.

good for you. Im sure he'll make up for the lack of his (very pedestrian and largely unnecessary ) guitar play

If I fall into tickets, Ill go

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:49 am 

I never even knew that Bono ever played guitar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:51 am 

Douchebag wrote:

:lol:

Somebody woke up frisky today!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:52 am 

Douchebag wrote:

My boss said the same thing

He plays rhythm on a couple songs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:55 am 

spanky wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I'm serious. Out of every picture, live clip, or music video I have seen of U2, there has never been a guitar in Bono's hands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:37 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
spanky wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I'm serious. Out of every picture, live clip, or music video I have seen of U2, there has never been a guitar in Bono's hands.

He has one in the With or Without You video. Im sure you saw that (even then its on his back for half the song). But you're right, it's a rarity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:02 pm 

Better guitar player:

Eddie Vedder or Bono?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:32 pm 

spanky wrote:
Better guitar player:

Eddie Vedder or Bono?

Chevy Chase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
spanky wrote:
Better guitar player:

Eddie Vedder or Bono?

Chevy Chase

Hulk Hogan

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:02 pm 

Waxahatchee 5/8 @ Beat Kitchen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
spanky wrote:

i decided that this year i want to make an effort to go to the few Chicago music venues i still haven't been to yet.....never been to Beat Kitchen. or Martyr's
also want to see something at Constellation and Promontory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:

or Martyr's

Who do you want to see Meat's band cover? :wink: I actually do want to see them at some point so
I have a frame of reference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:32 am 

Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:

i decided that this year i want to make an effort to go to the few Chicago music venues i still haven't been to yet.....never been to Beat Kitchen. or Martyr's
also want to see something at Constellation and Promontory

Beat Kitchen is ok. Very similar layout to Schuba's, if I had to compare it to anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's

Brochella looks great this year

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
spanky wrote:
Better guitar player:

Eddie Vedder or Bono?

Probably Eddie Vedder.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:35 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
spanky wrote:
Alvvays 1/17 @ schubas

Stick your head in an oven, Archie.

35-40 minute headlining set.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next