It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I liked 1st Wave, but then again I like that era a lot. I think I hit "This Is The Day" and "My Ever Changing Moods" in a 15-minute span, not bad. XMU was really good, yeah. I would never pay for radio, though.

What are your least favorite recurrents? Mine would probably have to be "Joey" by Concrete Blonde and "Connected" by Stereo MCs. I don't understand their loyalty to these songs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:19 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Curious Hair wrote:
I liked 1st Wave, but then again I like that era a lot. I think I hit "This Is The Day" and "My Ever Changing Moods" in a 15-minute span, not bad. XMU was really good, yeah. I would never pay for radio, though.

What are your least favorite recurrents?
Mine would probably have to be "Joey" by Concrete Blonde and "Connected" by Stereo MCs. I don't understand their loyalty to these songs.

Joey is just a chore to listen to. I don't mind Connected.
I can't say I listen to XRT as much as I used to, but I imagine
they probably still beat you over the head with BoDeans and Poi Dog Pondering.
I actually saw BoDeans open for U2 in 1987, and I have fond memories of their song "Good Things",
but I went up to Sam Llanas at a Sugar show at The Rave in Milwaukee about 20 years ago, &
he was a total Caller Bob to me, so fuck The BoDeans...........

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:58 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
In general, I find Sirius pretty bad. No decent alt country channel. The 1st wave channel seems to have a playlist of fewer than 150 songs. And the alt rock channels are more miss than hit.

Outlaw Country is solid at times. I agree on that Alt-Rock Channels, lots of misses there.

I'm a bigfan of Underground Garage. It's a great assortment of music from 50's to Present Day, and features styles like Rock & Roll, Punk, Soul, Garage Rock, Rockabilly, etc... The only thing I don't like on the station is that they plug new music from Little Steven's record label from time to time, which is mostly garbage.

there is just not enough basque separatist rock for TM on there.

i keep meaning to listen to those stations, especially deep cuts, but i usually just find my way back to howard 101 or hair band music. usually i like fun music in the car, and between lithium/80's/90's/hair/1st wave, i get my fill.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:34 pm 

It may be pretty everyday indie, but I do like this "Renegades" song quite a bit.

FAKE EDIT: oh no, I just looked it up on wikipedia
Quote:
The song was written as a commercial tie-in with the release of the Jeep Renegade. It was written very quickly, just a few days after the request was sent in to Interscope Records.

It's a fucking jingle. Looks like The Man got me again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
The only time I've ever heard that song is on the Jeep commercial.

Jungle and Love Songs Drug Songs are the only two songs of theirs I'd heard previously, and both of those were on 101WKQX during their sunday night 'new indie music' show.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:36 pm 

Beck released a new song. This is the greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of music.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Beck released a new song. This is the greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of music.

If it's the song that came out a couple weeks ago - it sucks.
I'm not his biggest fan, I can appreciate some stuff, but that song sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:55 pm 

It's not bad. It goes on a little too long.

I'm not the biggest Beck fan either. He has good songs, but the fawning has always been out of proportion to his work. WHITE GUY SAMPLING, ZOMG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

I'm not the biggest Beck fan either. He has good songs, but the fawning has always been out of proportion to his work. WHITE GUY SAMPLING, ZOMG

It definitely is too long.

Part of the (initial) fawning over Beck was his connections in the music industry.
I don't care about that. Either music is good or not. Most of his is not.

However, I did see him live for the first time last summer....he really is good live. I didn't want to think that, but he really is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
spanky wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It definitely is too long.

Part of the (initial) fawning over Beck was his connections in the music industry.
I don't care about that. Either music is good or not. Most of his is not.

However, I did see him live for the first time last summer....he really is good live. I didn't want to think that, but he really is.

I like Beck. Haven't seen him live, except for on TV on Austin City Limits. They were good.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:53 am 

As regards George Ezra and Vance Joy, of course their respective lead singles "Budapest" and "Riptide" are awful, but it's the second singles that worry me: "Blame It On Me" and "Your Mess Is Mine." That's what rock and roll is about in 2015: taking responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:32 pm 

A little after 4, Richard Milne introed a Vance Joy song as James Bay. I LOLed. I'm vindicated.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:28 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Curious Hair wrote:
mcbrides wrote:
And play David Bowie 12 times a fucking day :twisted:

David Bowie should be played 120 times a day as long as you keep it to stuff between Space Oddity and Scary Monsters. Someone played the entire "Station to Station" late one night and I was giddy with delight.

Outside, Heathen and Reality have a few worthy songs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:54 pm 

I know it's a running gag that everyone has complained about this station since the day it went on the air but man alive has XRT gone to shit without Norm in a few short months. I think Marty Lennartz is the only guy left who's able or contractually permitted to give a damn. It's really bad.