It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Carly Rae Jepson
That Friday Chick
Walk the Moon
Jessie & the Rippers

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
"Brown Sugar" is okay. I have a soft spot for "She Smiled Sweetly" and "Ruby Tuesday" because of The Royal Tenenbaums. I just don't find them very interesting. There's not much they did that the Beatles or Led Zeppelin didn't do better.

There isn't a single Beatles or Zeppelin song better than "Satisfaction".

I love Zeppelin, but this is completely accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Dignified Rube wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
What? The Rolling Stones have already lasted the test of time! Though I agree that a lot of their stuff isn't that special.

These idiot DJs on FM always say that "Exile on Main St." was their best album. Huh? It's complete crap other than Happy. Even "Tumbling Dice", which is something played on the radio, is not that good.

Their best album was the live one "Get Your Ya Yas Out". As a live band, they weren't special anymore after '69. It's like they forgot how to play and Jagger forgot how to sing. Too many drugs for Keif.

Change your name to 'Dignified Idiot'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
SomeGuy wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
What? The Rolling Stones have already lasted the test of time! Though I agree that a lot of their stuff isn't that special.

These idiot DJs on FM always say that "Exile on Main St." was their best album. Huh? It's complete crap other than Happy. Even "Tumbling Dice", which is something played on the radio, is not that good.

Their best album was the live one "Get Your Ya Yas Out". As a live band, they weren't special anymore after '69. It's like they forgot how to play and Jagger forgot how to sing. Too many drugs for Keif.

Change your name to 'Dignified Idiot'

BOOM goes the dynamite.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
"Brown Sugar" is okay. I have a soft spot for "She Smiled Sweetly" and "Ruby Tuesday" because of The Royal Tenenbaums. I just don't find them very interesting. There's not much they did that the Beatles or Led Zeppelin didn't do better.

There isn't a single Beatles or Zeppelin song better than "Satisfaction".

Difference of opinion, but I call shenanigans on your statement, Rod.
"The Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin, and "In My Life" by The Beatles blow Satisfaction out of the water.
:D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:28 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Moonlight Mile

/thread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
FavreFan wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Led Zeppelin, the Stones and Hendrix were all very talented, but I don't think people will be listening to them as much ten or twenty years from now.

:lol:

Dumb

Yes..very dumb

Allman Bros
Zep
Stones
Dead
Beatles
Dylan
Smokey Robinson
Hendrix
Who
Talking Heads

They all will stand the test of time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
All these bands are timeless. There will always be a sector of the public who likes the music. Whatever the next generation of hipsters will be, they'll probably be into 60s Bri'ish Invasion Rock.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:19 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

I'm sorry you don't like anything other than charted singles.

Bibgo Boyd. The way music is purchased these days very few consumers actually spin the entire disc. They buy the song or songs they like and add them to their
collection. Like those bad cds they promote on TV before the holidays where you can buy the top hitz of 2015 all on one disc!

The same big groups that have made it the last 30-40 years will still be around in another 20 years. Maybe not quite as relevant but there will still be fans
and stations playing the tunes. Will Taylor Swift and Mumford and Sons still be relevant? Less likely but who knows.

Last edited by T-Bone on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:46 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Will Taylor Swift and Mumford and Sons still be relevant?
Probably, or someone similar to them.

Outside of the 80s, it's pretty easy to find artists that were proven to be timeless. That's mostly because everyone seems to hate disco though. You just have to wait for the hindsight to know what music still resonates and what doesn't. For instance, the 90s had Nirvana and Michael Jackson for sure.

It's also somewhat skewed by the segmentation of music. Are biggie and Tupac timeless already? Is Eminem? They are if you like rap. If you don't, then not so much. What about the Beastie Boys? Then you add in country music

To put it another way, the best artists of every generation make good enough music to be considered timeless. I doubt the Mumford and Sons fans are going to suddenly say "They suck, I'm switching to the Rolling Stones now".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:49 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Outside of the 80s, it's pretty easy to find artists that were proven to be timeless. That's mostly because everyone seems to hate disco though. You just have to wait for the hindsight to know what music still resonates and what doesn't. For instance, the 90s had Nirvana and Michael Jackson for sure.

Although not everyone's favorite I would toss Pearl Jam into the mix as a 90s band that will likely persevere over time with a handful of their hit songs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:50 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
The best Stones song is "Gimme Shelter" and nothing is remotely close.

Chet Coppock and you find common ground

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:52 am 

Psy
Lou Vega
Ron Artest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:53 am 

I guess I really should have included Michael Jackson in the 80s instead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Michael Jackson's big three albums were '79, '82, and '87. He was already on the back nine by the '90s.

I'd say Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews Band for the '90s, but they're almost at some weird Dead/Phish stage where they have their traveling taping obsessives but everyone else just likes the same three or four songs everyone knows.

And the Foo Fighters are timeless! Just ask Dave Grohl.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Michael Jackson's big three albums were '79, '82, and '87. He was already on the back nine by the '90s.

I'd say Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews Band for the '90s, but they're almost at some weird Dead/Phish stage where they have their traveling taping obsessives but everyone else just likes the same three or four songs everyone knows.

Please do not put Pearl Jam in the same category as the Stones or Zeppelin...ridiculous.
Exile on Main st is a great album..you might want to listen again.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:47 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Please do not put Pearl Jam in the same category as the Stones or Zeppelin...ridiculous.

In the 90's Pearl Jam was one of the bands that defined that era and some of their music will live on 20 years from now. I don't think anyone was trying to compare them
to Zep or the Stones, but they were certainly more relevant than them in the 1990s. I thought we were talking about music that will endure not best bands of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:51 am 

Meh, I like Sticky Fingers better than Exile on Main Street, which is long and kind of boring. Overall, I just don't get this band and never will. It's my biggest blind spot and I'm fine with that at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
Meh, I like Sticky Fingers better than Exile on Main Street, which is long and kind of boring. Overall, I just don't get this band and never will. It's my biggest blind spot and I'm fine with that at this point.

The problem with Exile is that it could use some editing. It would be a better record if it were only three side and probably the best Stones album if it was properly trimmed down to a single disc. Sticky Fingers is the better record, but Beggar's Banquet is probably their best.

What is it you don't get about the Stones? They're British art students paying homage to the old black American men whose music captured their hearts and minds. At least they give the old guys credit, unlike Zeppelin.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:08 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What is it you don't get about the Stones? They're British art students paying homage to the old black American men whose music captured their hearts and minds. At least they give the old guys credit, unlike Zeppelin.

I know what they are, but the music doesn't click with me. Sonically, their music always feels very thin and tinny to me. There's not enough low end or richness to their sound, a problem I've never noticed myself having with Zeppelin or the Beatles, or Pink Floyd, or the Who, or any number of canon bands. It's really just the Stones who are so...yelpy to me. ("Gimme Shelter," of course, being an obvious exception to this.)

I have a weird thing about low-range frequencies, I've noticed. It's the same reason I abhor metal and Celtic folk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:20 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I know what they are, but the music doesn't click with me. Sonically, their music always feels very thin and tinny to me. There's not enough low end or richness to their sound, a problem I've never noticed myself having with Zeppelin or the Beatles, or Pink Floyd, or the Who, or any number of canon bands. It's really just the Stones who are so...yelpy to me. ("Gimme Shelter," of course, being an obvious exception to this.)

I have a weird thing about low-range frequencies, I've noticed. It's the same reason I abhor metal and Celtic folk.

Yeah, I guess I understand what you mean about the Stones sounding more mid-rangy than those other bands.

There's a definite low-fi quality to a lot of their work that I like. To me, Zeppelin sounds like Page sat in a studio for a million hours just overdubbing and overdubbing (which he probably did). I'm not looking for perfection in my rock and roll. I like bands that sound loose like the Faces.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
wdelaney72 wrote:

First Stones album that I bought.

Happy
Shine A Light
Loving Cup
Torn and Frayed
Sweet Virginia

killer tracks

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:22 am 

Chus wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

Happy
Shine A Light
Loving Cup
Torn and Frayed
Sweet Virginia

killer tracks

Rocks Off is one of my favorite album openers of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:

any thoughts on the miami bass scene?

sinicalypse wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

any thoughts on the miami bass scene?

Is that like drum-and-bass? I feel the appeal there. But yeah, this phenomenon also explains why I like Boards of Canada so much.

Speaking of being all about that bass, can we agree that the Clash will last the test of time?

Last edited by Curious Hair on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Chus wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

Happy
Shine A Light
Loving Cup
Torn and Frayed
Sweet Virginia

killer tracks

That album is stacked, top to bottom and front to back. Has a nice do dingey, rough sound to it. No coincidence that Mike Taylor was in the band during the creation. Mick Taylor-era Stones is the best Stones.

Rocks off is up near the top for me.

One of my favs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:24 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Speaking of being all about that bass, can we agree that the Clash will last the test of time?

:thumleft:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No one should like Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Electrified blues from the 50s & early 60s sounded extremely thin due to the primitive amps and recording stuff they used. The stones were probably copying that. most didn't even use a bass AFAIK.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:28 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
No one should like Bob Dylan.

That's ludicrist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next