It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hockey Gay wrote:
No one should like Bob Dylan.

I personally do not care for his music, but I respect what he brought to the table.

Just like the Beatles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Dylan made a lot of crap in his life. I pretend he stopped recording after Desire. That helps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
sinicalypse wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I have a weird thing about low-range frequencies, I've noticed. It's the same reason I abhor metal and Celtic folk.

any thoughts on the miami bass scene?

I used to have a business designing and building sub-woofers and working with guys who competed in dB Drag Racing. We would demo stuff using bass tapes. I remember one of them had a "song" on it with the lyric "The beat kicks to the rhythm". I had a high school kid working for me who thought it was "The beefcakes do the rhythm". I pictured a bunch of oiled up homos dancing on South Beach.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Curious Hair wrote:
Dylan made a lot of crap in his life. I pretend he stopped recording after Desire. That helps.

:lol: You can make a solid argument there. Time Out Of Mind, Love And Theft and for the most part Modern Times were all
solid between the late 90s and mid 2000 era. He has been knocking it out of the park with his Bootleg Series stuff but that is
going to mostly appeal to the die hard fans like myself.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hockey Gay wrote:

Agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:48 am 

pittmike wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Agreed.

You guys are crazy. I certainly don't think anyone can argue that Dylan's music won't stand the test of time whether you like it or not.

Last edited by T-Bone on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:50 am 
Site Admin

If all he ever did was "Blowin' in the Wind" he'd still be great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:51 am 

T-Bone wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Agreed.

You guys are crazy. I don't think anyone can argue that Dylan's music won't stand the test of time whether you like it or not.

A lot of my friends listen to him, some more than one, but it's not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
If all he ever did was "Desolation Row" he'd still be great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Time Out Of Mind, Love And Theft and for the most part Modern Times were all solid between the late 90s and mid 2000 era.

"Love Sick" is a good song, shame he hadn't written and recorded it before his voice went to shit (hold your jokes). For the most part, I suspect the praise those albums get is from grading on the Old Guy Somehow Didn't Die Yet curve.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Hockey Gay wrote:

Come mothers and fathers throughout the land
And don't criticize what you can't understand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:18 am 

Keep a clean nose
Watch the plain clothes
You don’t need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I have a weird thing about low-range frequencies, I've noticed. It's the same reason I abhor metal and Celtic folk.

any thoughts on the miami bass scene?

Is that like drum-and-bass? I feel the appeal there.

naw it's a little bit different than that. the wikipedia article says it's also called booty bass, and uhhh yeah. this bit here is pretty solid but it's kind of laughable in that it's just some dudes talkin shit on top of electro records, or well, "ridin out" as the style is called. this jam pony express one i linked comes with a warning in the title so at least they tried to warn you.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I used to have a business designing and building sub-woofers and working with guys who competed in dB Drag Racing. We would demo stuff using bass tapes. I remember one of them had a "song" on it with the lyric "The beat kicks to the rhythm". I had a high school kid working for me who thought it was "The beefcakes do the rhythm". I pictured a bunch of oiled up homos dancing on South Beach.

the most florida experience i ever had was back in the late 90s when a friend had a rave cave apartment (where someone mid-20s had an apartment for post/highschool kids to hang out and smoke/whatever at pretty much 24/7 between all the roommates) and his cousins from florida called him up like "yo we wanna come up there with a bunch of good weed, will your friends buy it? can you move it?" and he was like "yeah yeah yeah" trying to be cool, but then when they showed up it was with 2lbs of super-brown schwag brick weed, like this was just about the worst weed i've ever seen and i was 14 once, you know?

they got really upset at not only my friend but all of us cuz nobody wanted to touch that shit and after all the forceful sells failed we got a lecture from these two white trashy floridians about how "y'all fucked up on that crippy up here" and by crippy they meant good/quality dank weed.

incidentally, i have a friend down in florida now and i told him about "crippy" and he didnt believe me that it was a legit term. well after being down there for 2-3 years i get a call from him one night and he's super excited and he's got this chick with him and he goes TELL HIM WHAT YOU CALL GOOD WEED and she's like "crippy!" and he's like "DUDE YOU DIDNT LIE TO ME..... THE CRIPPY IS REAL!"

i reckon that the audience of the bass scene knows all about the crippy.... call it a hunch!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:36 am 

How in the world does Florida have bad weed? Everything there grows like crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:37 am 

sinicalypse wrote:

the most florida experience

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:45 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What is it you don't get about the Stones? They're British art students paying homage to the old black American men whose music captured their hearts and minds. At least they give the old guys credit, unlike Zeppelin.

I know what they are, but the music doesn't click with me. Sonically, their music always feels very thin and tinny to me. There's not enough low end or richness to their sound, a problem I've never noticed myself having with Zeppelin or the Beatles, or Pink Floyd, or the Who, or any number of canon bands. It's really just the Stones who are so...yelpy to me. ("Gimme Shelter," of course, being an obvious exception to this.)

Yeah, I guess I understand what you mean about the Stones sounding more mid-rangy than those other bands.

There's a definite low-fi quality to a lot of their work that I like. To me, Zeppelin sounds like Page sat in a studio for a million hours just overdubbing and overdubbing (which he probably did). I'm not looking for perfection in my rock and roll. I like bands that sound loose like the Faces.

the Faces had a good singer. The Stones had Jagger. Always wondered how much better I'd have liked the Stones if Richards sang lead on all their songs instead of the schoolmarm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:50 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Always wondered how much better I'd have liked the Stones if Richards sang lead on all their songs instead of the schoolmarm.

Do you always stake-out the worst position possible on any argument?

Richards' cuts on any of their albums are easily the worst.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Douchebag wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Always wondered how much better I'd have liked the Stones if Richards sang lead on all their songs instead of the schoolmarm.

Richards' cuts on any of their albums are easily the worst.

I'm not a huge stones fan...I love his sensibility on harmony, love "Got the Silver" for example. I can't stand Jaggs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
How in the world does Florida have bad weed? Everything there grows like crazy.

if you stop and think about it, you answered your own question. if EVERYTHING grows like crazy in florida, then rest assured bad weed grows like crazy in florida too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Douchebag wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Richards' cuts on any of their albums are easily the worst

Wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTgnX4LV1gU

One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
And Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender (his solo records) are fucking awesome..........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm with CH on this one, I never got the Stones either. They have a handful of songs I like but most of their stuff did nothing for me. Always prefered The Beatles but I'm not anti-Stones. Richards use to be so cool on stage too unlike dick lips who danced around in tights.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:22 pm 

The only band from my time that i see being worshiped by kids who werent even alive at the time of their music is Nirvana.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:32 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
The only band from my time that i see being worshiped by kids who werent even alive at the time of their music is Nirvana.

I've seen a handful of Nirvana shirts this summer worn by young kids. I immediately wonder to myself if these kids have even heard a Nirvana song/album.
Next time I should actually ask one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:34 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I've seen a handful of Nirvana shirts this summer worn by young kids. I immediately wonder to myself if these kids have even heard a Nirvana song/album.

I had this discussion with my niece when we were in Michigan back in July. Surprisingly, she was very familiar with all 3 studio albums and I introduced her to Unplugged in New York. She is 15...same age I was when Kurt Cobain killed himself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
[quote="Hockey Gay"]I'm with CH on this one, I never got the Stones either. They have a handful of songs I like but most of their stuff did nothing for me. Always prefered The Beatles but I'm not anti-Stones./quote]
Count me in that school of thought as well.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:44 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I had this discussion with my niece when we were in Michigan back in July. Surprisingly, she was very familiar with all 3 studio albums and I introduced her to Unplugged in New York. She is 15...same age I was when Kurt Cobain killed himself.

She is likely in the minority but still cool to hear Boyd. Interesting. My stepson is 12 and claims to like the Beatles, although I don't know what he has really heard, I think
just a greatest hits disc or something. I tried to show him that I had almost all their studio albums and the Anthology discs at his disposal if he was interested and he was
preoccupied with a cartoon on TV. :lol: Maybe it was my delivery. :eye:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:46 pm 

Maybe he said he liked the Beatles because you're old and he wanted to relate :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Whoever wrote that Satisfaction blows anything away by the Beatles and Zep does not know music. Satisfaction is the same riff repeated over and over again. It has no musicality to it. "Let it Be" by the Beatles, on the other hand, has a beautiful melody, singing and orchestration. "Something" by Harrison is a another masterpiece. "Hey Jude" is in the same category.

As for Zep, I would take "the Rain Song", "When the Levee Breaks" and "Thank You" all over Satisfaction. Nothing by the Stones comes close to the power of "When the Levee Breaks."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I get why the Stones aren't for everyone.

Pearl Jan had ONE album...ONE. Vs. pailed in comparison and it kept going down from there. They're a successful live band and I like them, but they are not in the same league as the Stones, Zeppelin, etc.

You want to define the era after metal from the 90's....that starts with the Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next