It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
So this concert film is playing on Showtime right now. Hendrix from 1970. Despite all the accolades this motherfucker might still be underrated as a guitar player. I've never really sat and watched him play at all. I can't get spanys head around how a person can have that much facility on his instrument. I know I'm not exactly breaking new ground with the Hendrix is great stuff but for me, it's over. I've never seen someone better. Page, Clapton, Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, Van Halen,Santana ,some dude JORR will come up with , it's over boys. You're playing for second. That is all.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Savants. It's true of any talent. Chess, guitar, poker, troll on CSFMB... their brains just process things differently, and we are lucky they realize their gift during their lifetime.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
The dude was incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
Never heard of him.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Bonzo was better

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:46 pm 

Chus wrote:
C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
Never heard of him.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
badrogue17 wrote:
So this concert film is playing on Showtime right now. Hendrix from 1970. Despite all the accolades this motherfucker might still be underrated as a guitar player. I've never really sat and watched him play at all. I can't get spanys head around how a person can have that much facility on his instrument. I know I'm not exactly breaking new ground with the Hendrix is great stuff but for me, it's over. I've never seen someone better. Page, Clapton, Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, Van Halen,Santana ,some dude JORR will come up with , it's over boys. You're playing for second. That is all.

Clapton doesn't belong in that group. I completely appreciate him as a musician & guitar player, but he just doesn't have the technical ability of many others.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hendrix deserves alot of credit but the best guitarists are in the metal genre.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Hockey Gay wrote:

Ok I'll play along. Give me a list. Is Jason Becker on it? Are you talking more of a Jeff Loomis type?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:20 pm 

I'll cast a vote for Flamenco guitarists being some of the best guitarists.

I can't provide a very long list though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Hockey Gay wrote:

Technically, perhaps, but artistically, I don't know about that. I think of metal and country, among others, as sideshows vis-a-vis the whole singer-songwriter/art-rock consensus. It's like comparing genre fiction to literature: creating art in service of the tropes necessary to fulfill the expectations of the genre is somehow less than doing so for the sake of art. That doesn't mean you can't transcend your genre, but most artists don't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:08 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Technically, perhaps, but artistically, I don't know about that. I think of metal and country, among others, as sideshows vis-a-vis the whole singer-songwriter/art-rock consensus. It's like comparing genre fiction to literature: creating art in service of the tropes necessary to fulfill the expectations of the genre is somehow less than doing so for the sake of art. That doesn't mean you can't transcend your genre, but most artists don't.

John 5 does great multi genre stuff on his solo albums. I wouldn't say he is the close to the top of any of the genres but he is a diverse player. Shawn Lane was one of the best players technically ever and he could knock the socks off most technical metal players. I am really interested in Hickey Gay's list. I want to know if by Metal he is more Uli Roth, Randy Rhoads or say Mikael Akerfeldt and Check Schuldiner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Saw this On Demand but haven't checked it out yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:45 am 

I saw clapton live in 01.

He is an incredible talent. Perfect on every note for 3 hours.

But hendrix was a better artist and still could do things clapton couldnt... And clapton admitted that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:46 am 

Dimebag darrel was the best metal artist of all time. His riffs were the most original and badass of all others combined. Without him you have a band called down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
spanky wrote:
I'll cast a vote for Flamenco guitarists being some of the best guitarists.

I can't provide a very long list though.
"cuchi-cuchi"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
badrogue17 wrote:

He wouldn't even be in my top 5. Listen to Hendrix at the Isle of Wight concert. It's complete garbage. Playing noise like Hendrix did with all the electronic trickery he employed is not the same as playing music.

Page is the greatest of all time. He never played the same solo in Stairway the same. What he did in Dazed and Confused in the bridge and bow sections as well as his soloing in No Quarter from '73 is out of this world.

I recommend the Vancouver '73 concert as his best Stairway solo. It's improvisational virtuosity at is finest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3u_oVselE

Another good one is from 5/18/75 at Earl's court, lesser known than the 5/24/75 performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNbS7dHzDuk

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:00 pm 

Chus wrote:

How dare YE mock the Wizard Page?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:57 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

He wouldn't even be in my top 5. Listen to Hendrix at the Isle of Wight concert. It's complete garbage. Playing noise like Hendrix did with all the electronic trickery he employed is not the same as playing music.

Page is the greatest of all time. He never played the same solo in Stairway the same. What he did in Dazed and Confused in the bridge and bow sections as well as his soloing in No Quarter from '73 is out of this world.

I recommend the Vancouver '73 concert as his best Stairway solo. It's improvisational virtuosity at is finest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3u_oVselE

Another good one is from 5/18/75 at Earl's court, lesser known than the 5/24/75 performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNbS7dHzDuk

Page was sloppy live hence why there is such little live footage of them.

Granted Zep absolutely killed the versions of the songs they stole but they stole a lot. You mention Dazed, while I can't imagine listening to this version and enjoying it (Jake Holmes was uninteresting) they were guilty as sin on stealing. Lawsuits etc...

Like I said Zep did all the songs way way better but they were lil thieves listen

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
I'd rather hear (and watch) Keith Moon play than Jimi Hendrix.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:04 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Dimebag darrel was the best metal artist of all time. His riffs were the most original and badass of all others combined. Without him you have a band called down.

Dime is a fav of mine but your argument is not strong Kung fu. Yeah you have Down but without Phil you had Damage Plan. He is a shit ton better than his bro Zakk. Best? Depends on what you define best as and in metal specifically it is very technical.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:57 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
I saw clapton live in 01.

He is an incredible talent. Perfect on every note for 3 hours.

But hendrix was a better artist and still could do things clapton couldnt... And clapton admitted that.

Sure Clapton is clean. He isn't playing anything nearly as difficult or technical as the greats.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:59 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
I'd rather hear (and watch) Keith Moon play than Jimi Hendrix.

Nah. Moon overplayed & wasn't very musical. Moon was addicted to 16th notes, among other things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:17 am 

My top 5 all-time greatest guitarists.

1. Jimmy Page
2. Randy Rhoads (For Mr. Crowley)
3. Neil Young
4. Keith Richards
5. Toni Iommi

Honorable Mention

Pete Townsend
Eddie Van Halen
David Knopfler (Dire Straits)
Edge
Paul Simon

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:21 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Dignified Rube wrote:

Page is the greatest of all time. He never played the same solo in Stairway the same.
You can't knock a Hendrix live performance in the same breath you tout Page as being the greatest of all time. I'm the biggest Jimmy Page fan there is but more often than not, especially from about mid 1973 on, he was as sloppy as they come in concert. There are moments of pure awe and brilliance, but also some shows where you wonder how in the world he is managing to stand up, much less play guitar. Plant's shoddy voice by that time didn't help their shows either.

Pagey is certainly one of the greatest ever and IMO probably the best rock and/or roll songwriter/riffmaster ever, but as Rogue said everybody is playing for second best with Hendrix being #1...at least in terms of rock.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:27 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Page is the greatest of all time. He never played the same solo in Stairway the same.
You can't knock a Hendrix live performance in the same breath you tout Page as being the greatest of all time. I'm the biggest Jimmy Page fan there is, but more often than not, especially from about mid 1973 on, he was as sloppy as they come.

Pagey is certainly one of the greatest ever and IMO probably the best rock and/or roll songwriter/riffmaster ever, but as Rogue said everybody is playing for second best with Hendrix being #1...at least in terms of rock.

I disagree. First, I'm the biggest Jimmy Page fan, having heard just about everything he's every done live with Zep. Secondly, Page only slipped after '75, not after '73. Many of the marathon '75 shows were outstanding. It was Plant that did not keep up in '75 because of voice problems. His voice was shot during a number of '73 shows and most of the shows in '75 and thereafter. I think most of the '77 shows were crap because of Plant's singing.

Hendrix had one good song live---Machine Gun with the Band of Gypsies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:33 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
My top 5 all-time greatest guitarists.

1. Jimmy Page
2. Randy Rhoads (For Mr. Crowley)
3. Neil Young
4. Keith Richards
5. Toni Iommi

Honorable Mention

David Knopfler (Dire Straights)
Edge
Paul Simon

That is a very interesting list and art is due to interpretation. Randy was really a guitar great. I am supposed to play Mr. Crowley for a show in January and damn I am scared.

Young? Really more of a song writer. That being said Cortez the Killer is one of my favorite solos of all time. Iommi has to be respected simply because he is missing finger tips! He also wrote amazing riffs. Knopfler is interesting as a choice I really like him. He is underrated for sure.

I would think you would be a Frusciante fan from that list.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:35 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

You can't knock a Hendrix live performance in the same breath you tout Page as being the greatest of all time. I'm the biggest Jimmy Page fan there is, but more often than not, especially from about mid 1973 on, he was as sloppy as they come.

I disagree. First, I'm the biggest Jimmy Page fan, having heard just about everything he's every done live with Zep. Secondly, Page only slipped after '75, not after '73. Many of the marathon '75 shows were outstanding. It was Plant that did not keep up in '75 because of voice problems. His voice was shot during a number of '73 shows and most of the shows in '75 and thereafter. I think most of the '77 shows were crap because of Plant's singing.

Hendrix had one good song live---Machine Gun with the Band of Gypsies.

Machine Gun is one hell of a track. That whole album could have been good if Buddy Miles shut up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Iommi has to be respected simply because he is missing finger tips!

Just like Django Reinhardt. Now there's a legend of guitar.