It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
and for the record, outside of Physical Graffiti...you can have led Zeppelin...I can barely listen to them anymore...but I certainly recognize their place among the greats.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
wdelaney72 wrote:
I get why the Stones aren't for everyone.

Pearl Jan had ONE album...ONE. Vs. pailed in comparison and it kept going down from there. They're a successful live band and I like them, but they are not in the same league as the Stones, Zeppelin, etc.

You want to define the era after metal from the 90's....that starts with the Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

A strong yet interesting take.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:51 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Nothing by the Stones comes close to the power of "When the Levee Breaks."

Damn kid, do you know anything?

"When the Levee Breaks" is an old blues song from the 20's-30's. Just like much of Zepplin's music was stolen from old bluesmen (w/o credi) like JORR told you.

(Blame SomeGuy for this, if he hadn't just posted here I'd have never seen this nugget :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Dignified Rube wrote:
Satisfaction is the same riff repeated over and over again.

You just described rock and roll.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

"When the Levee Breaks" is an old blues song from the 20's-30's. Just like much of Zepplin's music was stolen from old bluesmen (w/o credi) like JORR told you.

(Blame SomeGuy for this, if he hadn't just posted here I'd have never seen this nugget :lol: )

Kid? Who are you Han Solo?

I don't understand the logic. Because they took an old song, changed it and made it their own, it can't still be powerful?

And yes, I know they took Levee Breaks from an old blues song. You're talking to a Zeppelin expert.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Satisfaction is the same riff repeated over and over again.

You just described rock and roll.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:36 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:
The classic rock canon (Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd, Who) will last forever. Don't worry. As long as there are 15-year-old white boys, those bands will make new fans.

Along those lines, I think artists that have technical virtuosity will always appeal to future generations of young musicians. Paganini and Liszt have often been cited as inspirations by today's best keyboard artists and guitar players/shredders.

Curious Hair wrote:
I always say that today is the best time to be a music fan. Whatever the date is, today is the best. Everything up to now is available for you to hear and it's never been easier to hear it.

Cannot agree more, mainly from the standpoint that with a Spotify (or similar) subscription, you have pretty much any song ever created at your fingertips, as well as easy ways to discover artists you like (such as through Pandora).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:39 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I always say that today is the best time to be a music fan. Whatever the date is, today is the best. Everything up to now is available for you to hear and it's never been easier to hear it.

Cannot agree more

I agree with both of you. I love current and past music, always.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:19 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
wdelaney72 wrote:

Pearl Jan had ONE album...ONE. Vs. pailed in comparison and it kept going down from there. They're a successful live band and I like them, but they are not in the same league as the Stones, Zeppelin, etc.

You want to define the era after metal from the 90's....that starts with the Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Pearl Jam's finest is and might always be Yield.............not sure, based on your usage, which PJ record you refer as to being the only one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
shirtless driver wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

Pearl Jam's finest is and might always be Yield.............not sure, based on your usage, which PJ record you refer as to being the only one.

Seems like he is referring to Ten.

Yield is terrific. I like No Code as well. Honestly, with more listens, I really like Lightening Bolt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:42 am 

well they kind of changed their style didn't they? "ten", "vs." and "vitalogy" come from their budding as a rock band, almost like they were using grunge as their jumping off point. then they grew into something more than that. i admit i was just into them during the grunge years but i've heard their albums "yield" and "no code" are great records.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
W_Z wrote:
well they kind of changed their style didn't they? "ten", "vs." and "vitalogy" come from their budding as a rock band, almost like they were using grunge as their jumping off point. then they grew into something more than that. i admit i was just into them during the grunge years but i've heard their albums "yield" and "no code" are great records.

Pearl Jam was never really a grunge band either. They were a rock band who happened to have grunge roots who hailed from Seattle. Stone was always more of an SRV fan.

Pearl Jam is more in a class of The Dead, Phish, Buffet, DMB where they don't rely on commercial success to be huge. They became a thing. They kinda reverse Metallica'd. Started with hits then went underground and were tape trading. I am not a fan or a hater but gotta respect their longevity.

I think the appropriate question though is who will be listened to from every era. Nirvana will always be the poster children of their era. Where the Foo's will mostly be forgotten well down the road imho.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:46 pm 

I think PJ is a great band. Agree that Yield is really good, but the mid-90's belongs to other bands.

I like the comparison to the Dead, Phish, DMB with their loyal cult fan base....that's appropriate.

Back to the Stones, my fav is actually "Some Girls". Love that one.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:21 pm 

I like Pearl Jam

Public Enemy
2pac
Biggie
Nas
Jay-Z
N.W.A.

All standing the test of time proving every dad from the 80's wrong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:14 pm 

http://www.clickhole.com/splitpic/ruin-beatles-turning-paul-mccartney-patrick-ewing-3044?utm_campaign=default&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=facebook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Blame me? Better watch the words cummin' outta you mouf.

And Led Zeppelin ran a ton of stuff from the blues playbook.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
This lyric is from the 20th century, but the melody is eons old. This song reminds me of my father. Well, this and "Running with the Devil."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXRoKydORQ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:08 am 

So everyone here likes Pearl Jam, yet they don't deserve to be in the same highest category as the Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc.? They do.

Zeppelin was great, but only for just a few years, between '70 and '73, after which time Plant lost his voice. As for studio albums, really their only good albums were Zeppelin II, Zeppelin IV (unnamed), Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti. And I would only take a few songs off of each, with the rest being kind of shite. The beginning of Over the Hills is good, but it has probably the worst Jimmy Page solo. Dyer Maker and the Crunge are just awful, while Page ruined the Ocean by increasing the speed of Plant's voice to bring it to a higher pitch, but it has the effect of him sounding like a chipmunk. No Quarter and the Rain Song, however, are brilliant.

You can say the same about the Stones, again they put out just a few good albums. Anything you ever needed to hear from the Stones is on the Hot Rocks CDs. "Get Your Ya Yas Out" is also a must have by the Stones. The rest you can throw in the dumpster.

As for Pearl Jam, Ten, No Code and Wishlist are their best albums. Vitalogy and Vs. are OK., nothing special. No Code is very unrated. Red Mosquito is excellent.

"The Who", "the Beatles" and "Pink Floyd" are the best studio bands. I rank "Who's Next" as best R&R album of all-time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:28 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Dignified Rube wrote:
So everyone here likes Pearl Jam, yet they don't deserve to be in the same highest category as the Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc.? They do.

Zeppelin was great, but only for just a few years, between '70 and '73, after which time Plant lost his voice. As for studio albums, really their only good albums were Zeppelin II, Zeppelin IV (unnamed), Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti. And I would only take a few songs off of each, with the rest being kind of shite. The beginning of Over the Hills is good, but it has probably the worst Jimmy Page solo. Dyer Maker and the Crunge are just awful, while Page ruined the Ocean by increasing the speed of Plant's voice to bring it to a higher pitch, but it has the effect of him sounding like a chipmunk. No Quarter and the Rain Song, however, are brilliant.

You can say the same about the Stones, again they put out just a few good albums. Anything you ever needed to hear from the Stones is on the Hot Rocks CDs. "Get Your Ya Yas Out" is also a must have by the Stones. The rest you can throw in the dumpster.

As for Pearl Jam, Ten, No Code and Wishlist are their best albums. Vitalogy and Vs. are OK., nothing special. No Code is very unrated. Red Mosquito is excellent.

"The Who", "the Beatles" and "Pink Floyd" are the best studio bands. I rank "Who's Next" as best R&R album of all-time.

No Code aside from Red Mosquito was really banal to me. I will admit it is likely the most overlooked PJ album. Oddly that is what drew me to it initially.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:20 am 

Slayer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Dignified Rube wrote:
So everyone here likes Pearl Jam, yet they don't deserve to be in the same highest category as the Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc.?

What does one have to do with the other? We can agree that Pearl Jam was a good band without declaring them an all-time great band among the ones you named.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:17 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Fucking Slayer.

corrected.

This is a perfectly acceptable answer to most questions / debates.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 pm 

I was wrong earlier saying Sammy Hagar was greatest singer.

The best singer of all time was Michael Jackson. It's not even close. Incredible range and skill in his prime.