All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portage Theater
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
How is it for a concert venue?

Post subject: Re: Portage Theater
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Not great. Eddie Carranza runs it. Google Eddie Carranza.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
good luck parking the hot hatch! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I saw a show there in like 2007 or so. Sound was good from what I remember.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Hatchetman wrote:
good luck parking the hot hatch! :lol:

Blue line, baby.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:24 pm 

weird, i was just at the patio theater not long ago and i kept reading it was closed but i guess it opens for certain events (googled the guy).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:36 pm 

W_Z wrote:
weird, i was just at the patio theater not long ago and i kept reading it was closed but i guess it opens for certain events (googled the guy).

Yeah, the Patio is in pretty good shape but has been plagued by HVAC problems. The did a successful kickstarter a few years back to get their digital projector, then the heat crapped out. Tim Cullerton, who was 38th ward alderman at the time, managed to scare up some funds or a tax break for the family that owned it, but they just kind of hobbled along, booking and cancelling film festivals, etc. Eventually the contracted Carranza to manage it. More of the same. Stuff gets booked, promoted, then cancelled or moved. Both the Portage and the Patio suck for parking. They were neighborhood movie houses. IMU, the Irving Park Blue line stop is about 7 blocks away from the Portage.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Telegram Sam wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Yeah, the Patio is in pretty good shape but has been plagued by HVAC problems. The did a successful kickstarter a few years back to get their digital projector, then the heat crapped out. Tim Cullerton, who was 38th ward alderman at the time, managed to scare up some funds or a tax break for the family that owned it, but they just kind of hobbled along, booking and cancelling film festivals, etc. Eventually the contracted Carranza to manage it. More of the same. Stuff gets booked, promoted, then cancelled or moved. Both the Portage and the Patio suck for parking. They were neighborhood movie houses. IMU, the Irving Park Blue line stop is about 7 blocks away from the Portage.

I'd probably get off at Montrose.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Sure, then it would only be 7 blocks away. Wait...

IMU, if you want to go for the balls-out quasi urban experience, get off at Jefferson Park and take the 56 Milwaukee to Six Corners. Me and JORR will pregame with you at Nite Caps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Telegram Sam wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Sure, then it would only be 7 blocks away. Wait...

IMU, if you want to go for the balls-out quasi urban experience, get off at Jefferson Park and take the 56 Milwaukee to Six Corners. Me and JORR will pregame with you at Nite Caps.

I'll likely be at Nite Caps on October 17 for the return of D-Connect. Timmy Matlock, my guy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:55 pm 

I'll stop over if I'm at the restaurant that night. I usually only get over there for a Sabbath cover band or something. I this LiveWire by Schurz is drawing away some of their crowd. Did you know the Nite Cap brothers own Hops and Barley at Milwaukee and Montrose?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:09 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
W_Z wrote:

parking did suck. i was able to park in the neighborhood area a few blocks away but i got nervous walking back because i saw a car with a smashed passenger side window, a botched attempt i suppose at stealing someone's propane tank (still intact in the car). my car was a little ways down and was fine though.

i did like the diner right across the street from the theater. pretty good food, they served beer, and the staff was friendly. it was a pretty cool evening all in all. the theater's cool but definitely old.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Telegram Sam wrote:
I'll stop over if I'm at the restaurant that night. I usually only get over there for a Sabbath cover band or something. I this LiveWire by Schurz is drawing away some of their crowd. Did you know the Nite Cap brothers own Hops and Barley at Milwaukee and Montrose?

Awesome! I'll look for you.

I didn't know that. Hops and Barley isn't too bad.

Sabbath cover band? Does War Pigs still play?