It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
This isnt working. I know some have it as Horrendous and the worst they ever heard, but its just not clicking...and normally I would say it could need more time, but as time has gone on this relationship is sorrowing.

Jason, Spiegs, and anyone else can tell us idiots here, we dont know anything about radio, and we might be right, but I can tell you when a couple isnt getting along...and its heading south from 9-1 daily. Just being honest about it.

Not blaming any one person here, just time to look at other options.

Going to need to realize this show is going to the Friday pre pre game show for many Cubs games with a 3 PM start.

Spiegs knows his baseball, like him or hate him, he knows it. Its a good fit for the WCUB thing. I will agree, Spiegs might not be the easiest guy to work with, so give Shep a shot, he seems to like him and do OK with him.

No matter who it is, need to work Grote into this midday thing. Great bridge for the WCUB thing about to happen, great info, gets Grotes more $$$$.

On off days he can join or co host, he can Giangreco it for an hour, he can do the 1-2 thing on WSCR, then go 2-3 full blown pre game.

Lots of things to do, but a change is going to be needed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
lets take two guys who both:

-think they're the smartest person in the room
-are overly sensitive
-don't listen to what they're partner just said
-ignore what they're parter said to say what's on their mind

and create a show!

both are better solo than with a partner.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Did they really think this was a good pairing or did they just put it together to ride out Spiegel's expiring contract?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
FLIGHTMILES SOLVE EVERYTHING. ASK MACKEYFISH.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Goff would love to run back into the arms of Bernstein. Maybe "Goff & Bernstein" when Terry retires? Maybe Da Ma Na will get sick of music and he could reunite with Spiegel at that point.

Goff is just more comfortable with his Lord Bernstein. So maybe the nervous laughter would stop. Cuz he wasn't laughing like a maniac when he produced B&B.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Did they really think this was a good pairing or did they just put it together to ride out Spiegel's expiring contract?

Possible. And they probably got Goff for cheap. Keep in mind Goff signed for one year with a SCORE option for a 2nd year. Goff said this himself.

When did Goff come back? It was in the winter I believe. So it's coming up on the time where the Score has to decide to pick up Goff's option. And Terry is gonna retire after the Super Bowl.

So maybe sweeping changes could be coming to the SCORE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Beardown wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Possible. And they probably got Goff for cheap. Keep in mind Goff signed for one year with a SCORE option for a 2nd year. Goff said this himself.

When did Goff come back? It was in the winter I believe. So it's coming up on the time where the Score has to decide to pick up Goff's option. And Terry is gonna retire after the Super Bowl.

So maybe sweeping changes could be coming to the SCORE

He came back the week of the car show...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:29 pm 

Slappy got the fat end of the stick when he got paired with Grimace.

Grimace was already there, so Slappy couldn't come in and run things, but guess what? Big Purple was too lazy to do anything. So Slappy is kinda stuck. I think Slappy has figured out that the ship is taking on water. Now, does he have the stones to do anything about it?

Mac did Grimace no favors in training him. The only thing Purple tits has learned is how to do nothing and gloat about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
bigfan wrote:
This isnt working.

My thoughts exactly. And as my posting history shows, I like Goff and Spiegs. It is the combination of the two that does not work. The fact that this station has caused me to listen to ESPN 1000 is almost unthinkable, but that is what I have on right now.

The more I think about it, but recent "love" for Kap revolves around these things:

1) Treat callers with respect,
2) Ok to cheer for home teams,
3) Mainly talk sports with a Chicago focus,
4) Show passion,
5) Equal amounts of hate and love for things happening on the sports scene (i.e. positive and negative view points in equal balance).

Except for M&H, the other shows are lacking more than one of the above. LoHo may hit all five, but his but gets old and annoying pretty quick.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Nobody laughs at his own jokes more than Goff. Add that with the desperate need to spin race into everything and no planning other than monitoring what Twitter is saying, and you have one awful host.

Spiegs isn't perfect, but he's had good stretches when he actually worked with a competent partner.

Grote seemed entirely capable during the auditions and I am surprised they didn't give him the shot. Even guys like Schanowski, who are real professionals, would be welcome additions.

Just please no more Goff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Goff in small doses didn't expose his weaknesses. Two things that have really bother me about him:

1. Whenever he says his "be you and do you want" deal but then 10 seconds later lectures about appreciating LeBron or not throwing garbage onto fields or whatever.

2. His "I'm so cool' persona he tries to emit but then he tells stories about how in his younger days he was too chickenshit to get a fake ID and would sit in a car for 2 hours to DD while his buddies drank/partied.

dude, just be yourself.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Maybe drinky is politicking behind the scenes for Mitch to get rid of his enemy, Matt Spiegel, and for him to reunite with his long time partner in crime, Jason Goff, on the midday show.

Then Goff and drinky can finally become "B&B II" like they've always dreamed of since they both started working for B&B.

How do you like them apples?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:32 pm 

denisdman wrote:
bigfan wrote:
This isnt working.

My thoughts exactly. And as my posting history shows, I like Goff and Spiegs. It is the combination of the two that does not work. The fact that this station has caused me to listen to ESPN 1000 is almost unthinkable, but that is what I have on right now.

The more I think about it, but recent "love" for Kap revolves around these things:

4) Show passion,
5) Equal amounts of hate and love for things happening on the sports scene (i.e. positive and negative view points in equal balance).

Except for M&H, the other shows are lacking more than one of the above. LoHo may hit all five, but his but gets old and annoying pretty quick.

My thoughts, too. I am a full time ESPN guy now, with only rare exceptions when the ESPN App isn't working for some reason. That's not too often.

As a Sox fan, I was conditioned to not like Kap, but for those reasons you listed, he's actually not bad at all. He's obviously a huge Cubs slobber, but I can live with it considering the other qualities he brings.

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I used to like Jason alot...but he has worn thin on me...an everyday dose of him is just too much.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Curious Hair wrote:

Sure looks like the latter. Once Spiegel is gone, Mully and Hanley are the only people standing in the way of 100% Bernsteinization.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:33 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Maybe drinky is politicking behind the scenes for Mitch to get rid of his enemy, Matt Spiegel, and for him to reunite with his long time partner in crime, Jason Goff, on the midday show.

Then Goff and drinky can finally become "B&B II" like they've always dreamed of since they both started working for B&B.

Can Drinky handle it?

Will he expect a Grimace like schedule with unlimited time off?

Maybe they will pick Leary to step in with Goff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:34 pm 

Beardown wrote:

I used this gif one post too soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think Big Fan said this of Goff.

Everything is a fight with him. The lectures on how to behave is tiresome. He got this from Bernstein, but it even sounds worse coming from him than it does from Bernstein.

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Can Drinky handle it?

Don't you remember, he loves his crew too much to leave the 6PM shift, where he does 31 full shows per year.

denisdman wrote:
bigfan wrote:
This isnt working.

4) Show passion,

The Bernstein "You cannot be a fan" narrative is stupid, uninteresting and just plain wrong for sports talk radio. I agree with the things listed above no matter who is hosting. If you truly think, "You can't be a fan", then go sit behind an anchor desk at one of the networks and do your 4 minute sports segment every night, Bernstein.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:37 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Everything is a fight with him. The lectures on how to behave is tiresome. He got this from Bernstein, but it even sounds worse coming from him than it does from Bernstein.

He tried to lecture yesterday on how to be a Sox fan. If the Sox aren't tearing down and going full Cub rebuild, then you're doing it wrong, and if you're a Sox fan and you aren't demanding this, then he doesn't know what to tell you, you're just a brain-dead human.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:39 pm 

ChiefWampum wrote:
Beardown wrote:

He tried to lecture yesterday on how to be a Sox fan. If the Sox aren't tearing down and going full Cub rebuild, then you're doing it wrong, and if you're a Sox fan and you aren't demanding this, then he doesn't know what to tell you, you're just a brain-dead human.

Next thing he will do is start ripping Sox fans for naming their pets after Sox players.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Can Drinky handle it?

No. He can't even handle conversations with Bernstein.

I was kind of half joking. While I'm sure drinky politics Mitch and Zim to give him a shot, I doubt they listen to him. Or they just say "We'll see, drinky" just to placate him. They know what they have in him and he's not gonna get any better if he hasn't by now.

Before Mannelly got the job with Spiegel, drinky was part of the tryouts. He was politicking hard on twitter to get the gig. They passed on him. Then they passed on him again when they gave it to Jason.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Kirkwood wrote:
Goff in small doses didn't expose his weaknesses. Two things that have really bother me about him:

1. Whenever he says his "be you and do you want" deal but then 10 seconds later lectures about appreciating LeBron or not throwing garbage onto fields or whatever.

2. His "I'm so cool' persona he tries to emit but then he tells stories about how in his younger days he was too chickenshit to get a fake ID and would sit in a car for 2 hours to DD while his buddies drank/partied.

dude, just be yourself.

Goff is second to Les at the station in terms of genuinely loving sports. I don't know who he thinks he's fooling when he does the Bernstein thing. He's not a great thinker who just happens to talk about sports (and neither, for that matter, is Bernstein), he's a guy who called the Score for years and then got a job at the Score. He's the Joe Benigno of brothers. How much of his adult working life has been spent outside sports talk radio?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think Ostrowski has passed drinky as potentially being next in line. Not saying Joe will ever get it but just that he's ahead of drinky if they do decide to give a producer another shot.

Joe is bitchy and whinny. That would get more tiresome than Goff's laughing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
bring back Maya Gavin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I now go 12-15 days without hearing a minute of the score..just awful. Mully-Hanley are the only show on the Entire station I can stomach..Fuck You Mitch! You stupid mother fucker.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:03 pm 

Beardown wrote:
I think Ostrowski has passed drinky as potentially being next in line. Not saying Joe will ever get it but just that he's ahead of drinky if they do decide to give a producer another shot.

Joe is bitchy and whinny. That would get more tiresome than Goff's laughing.

All of the producers blow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
denisdman wrote:
bigfan wrote:
This isnt working.

4) Show passion,

Someone from the Cubs makes a call...hey, we want this guy to part of the family.

Thats your pending midday show right now.

Kap likes Finji
So does Mitch
Finji, works his ass off.
if his contract allows it...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
you know, it'll be interesting to see who emerges out of spiegel & goff as the "alpha dog" --- meaning is this the matt spiegel show feat jay goff, or is this the jay goff show feat matt spiegel? say what you want about spiegel but i think he's a good soldier for the station and he does his job pretty well and i'm guessing he doesnt command a FOTStein salary (nor does he likely have as many options elsewhere as the FOTS) so i'm sure he has utility to the station because the thought would be that you could do a lot worse than spiegel (like replacing him with laurence).........

....but the ? remains, was goff brought in to prop up spiegel? [insert fat joke/s here] or was spiegel used as a means of bringing back goff and getting him 100% established to us as a host, and going forward spiegel would end up being goff's training wheels?