It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou Protest
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:58 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
You don't know shit about me, so go fuck yourself you ignorant bigot.

Regular Reader not looking good here.

What do I need to know that I haven't gotten from your posts over these many years? That you're an angry guy looking to continually play the race card? Or the victim card? Or that you're the only person that doesn't recognize the speed & exhaustive nature with which you do it? Or that you get an irrational sense of excitement using racially charged language in threads that you have nothing to do with? That if challenged, you get your nose bent out of shape quicker than anyone around here?

That you seem out of your depth in any discussion where you aren't playing grab ass? What did I miss?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It's amazing to me how you find new ways to blame things on libertarian points of view. There was nothing conservative about that article I posted. The ironic thing is that many of these students you are defending have, at their core, conservative beliefs themselves. They don't believe in freedom of speech or freedom of press, and they believe that opposing or "dangerous" ideas should be fully censored. It's a very coddled and entitled point of view, and it deserves to be ridiculed for how pathetic it is, and for how damaging it is to free expression in this country.

We will have to agree to disagree. That article couldn't have been written any better by any senior fellow of the Cato Institute still "claiming" to be a libertarian. :)

I also think that before constitutional concepts of free speech, expression or press got considered, the kids' own fears for their personal safety were the initial driving concern. It's a very coddled and entitled belief held by many like the "Senior Editor" that minority students feel safe on college campuses, or that their own snarky and bigoted remarks (only sometimes) behind closed doors don't play heavily into the racial crap on campuses that these kids are addressing in large part.

The problem is that their actions betray their demands. They want their "safe spaces", but have no problem getting in other people's faces. There was a reporter that was just looking to objectively report on the situation, a student at Mizzou, and you have students and faculty getting in his way, screaming at him, and then having the damn nerve to tell him he is being an aggressor.

The article I posted from Reason wasn't saying, and I don't even think it was implying, that minority students don't have very real concerns. But the way they are expressing those concerns(in some of these situations) is absolutely ridiculous. It's not condescending or paternalistic to point out the inconsistencies and illogical tactics the students are using in these protests.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Regular Reader wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
You don't know shit about me, so go fuck yourself you ignorant bigot.

Regular Reader not looking good here.

What do I need to know that I haven't gotten from your posts over these many years? That you're an angry guy looking to continually play the race card? Or the victim card? Or that you're the only person that doesn't recognize the speed & exhaustive nature with which you do it? Or that you get an irrational sense of excitement using racially charged language in threads that you have nothing to do with? That if challenged, you get your nose bent out of shape quicker than anyone around here?

That you seem out of your depth in any discussion where you aren't playing grab ass? What did I miss?

:lol:

I say something you don't agree with and you immediately insinuate that I'm a racist and bigot and all that. Seems quite the leap.

And bringing up past posts?

You're struggling here. Struggling to discuss something you don't agree with without casting dispersions of racism and bigotry without offering up proof and evidence.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Reason had a pretty good article relating to that.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/09/yale ... ch-college

Quote:
It’s clear that many of today’s students—at Yale, Missouri, and other campuses—don’t value free expression the way their radical predecessors did. But the Yale and Missouri incidents reveal something even more startling: they don’t value their own independence, either. Their goal is to re-enshrine in loco parentis. They want their administrators-in-chief to hold them while they cry, pat them on the back, and softly whisper into their ears, “you’re right, I’m so sorry.”

Will these same students, complain, I wonder, if their administrators start sending troublemakers to bed without supper, or preventing them from hanging out with their friends until they finish their homework? Keep in mind that prior to the ‘60s, administrators placed broad restrictions on students’ rights to socialize, organize, and speak. That’s what parents do, it’s what used to take place on college campuses, and it’s what awaits these students who are suddenly so desperate to be treated like children again.

By the looks of that editor's bio, I'm not surprised that kind of drivel was loosed upon us. Yet another William F. Buckley on obnoxious training wheels.

As I mentioned above, I don't know all of the details. I did know that this was a problem that started back last winter/spring. For some strange reason during the orientation I was in a spot where I was reading the campus papers dating back to Feb./March & asking questions of the tour volunteers who were aware & concerned of what went on. As were one or two of the professors I talked to. They all (surprise, surprise) loved the school, but were dumbfounded by the former president's actions back then.

To a person, I felt that there was a sense of unease and worry on that campus...all tied to the president's actions. There is in Columbia, just like here, a strain of folks who are dying to belittle other races/religions/etc and then play condescending little games to trivialize the whole matter. The feeling I got was that the former president was providing an incubator for little preppy editors like that guy at Reason/Blaze/etc. to get snarky and incite the clowns/angry drunks/bigots among us.

They all wished the president had gone in a different direction. Now that I think about it, they all weren't just dumbfounded by his actions, but even then by his glaring inaction. Imagine living on a campus with say 5,000 emboldened ex-cops/painters & you weren't his "right kind of person". I felt that that was what all of those Mizzou folks were afraid of & the former president didn't care about what they would do or say to others in their campus "homes". If he hadn't resigned, I think those same folks would have then been worried about what the next ex-cop/painter contingent would do next.

Easy, Pal.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:12 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:

I say something you don't agree with and you immediately insinuate that I'm a racist and bigot and all that. Seems quite the leap.

You're struggling here.

Struggling, perhaps. If only because I really don't want to get dragged into this bs with you. If I really wanted to take the time, I could give you your opinion on any issue. Occasionally you're good at dancing around what you really mean, but the speed and intensity with which you engage in certain threads belies your true feelings imo.

That and they're all fairly narrow imo. I rarely engage you (even in White Sox threads) because your posting history has been precisely that for years. Bigoted, narrow minded and often racist. So, take solace in that you've called me an ignorant bigot, and I'll happily discontinue this engagement. I'll laugh about this in the same way I laughed when (I believe it was) you previously called me a fascist.

Next.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
DannyB wrote:
Easy, Pal.

Ha, he looks just like the guy who coined "Berniebro" because people on the internet were meaniepantses:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:16 pm 

[url][/url] https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... KeTSnKFgPQ

Similar situation. Local incident. Similar outcome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:20 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The article I posted from Reason wasn't saying, and I don't even think it was implying, that minority students don't have very real concerns. But the way they are expressing those concerns(in some of these situations) is absolutely ridiculous. It's not condescending or paternalistic to point out the inconsistencies and illogical tactics the students are using in these protests.

To continually refer to mommy & daddy sending them to bed without their supper, etc. is illogical and inconsistent with wishing to have that piece taken as something other than condescending and paternalistic. On that we can civilly agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:21 pm 

:lol: Maybe, just a bit

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

To continually refer to mommy & daddy sending them to bed without their supper, etc. is illogical and inconsistent with wishing to have that piece taken as something other than condescending and paternalistic. On that we can civilly agree to disagree.

I don't think it's about wanting parents so much as wanting more professional management. Professor hurts your feelings? Do you have a supervisor I can speak with?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Curious Hair wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Easy, Pal.

Ha, he looks just like the guy who coined "Berniebro" because people on the internet were meaniepantses:

Are you a Bonehead? Yes or No.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:40 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

You're struggling here.

Struggling, perhaps. If only because I really don't want to get dragged into this bs with you. If I really wanted to take the time, I could give you your opinion on any issue. Occasionally you're good at dancing around what you really mean, but the speed and intensity with which you engage in certain threads belies your true feelings imo.

That and they're all fairly narrow imo. I rarely engage you (even in White Sox threads) because your posting history has been precisely that for years. Bigoted, narrow minded and often racist. So, take solace in that you've called me an ignorant bigot, and I'll happily discontinue this engagement. I'll laugh about this in the same way I laughed when (I believe it was) you previously called me a fascist.

Next.

You dragged yourseld into this, friend. You weren't able to substantiate your assertion so here you are. But, I'll gice you credit, for a guy who accuses me of "dancing around" what I "really" mean you sure are cutting a rug around calling me what you really want call me. Even if you werent so cowardly you'd still be wrong, but if that's your go to play how can I argue with someone who knows more about SomeGuy's posting history than SomeGuy does?

Disengaging at this point is probably your best option .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:44 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
But, I'll gice you credit, for a guy who accuses me of "dancing around" what I "really" mean you sure are cutting a rug around calling me what you really want call me.

Regular Reader wrote:
Bigoted, narrow minded and often racist.

I dunno, SomeGuy. That seems pretty direct to me.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
badrogue17 wrote:
bigfan wrote:
I would think a normal reaction from a person that desired to retain the position he had would be stating what he has done to alleviate the situation, try to schedule a sit down with representatives and not give in to demands without negotiations.

This guy took the money and ran out the door as fast as he could pack.

Somethings not right.

It'll come out that he denied Big Mikes bid for admission

Really dude? You have a serious problem.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:09 pm 

For activists, it was about years of racist remarks hurled at black students by people at campus parties and on the streets, and about white administrators' awkwardness — or silence — in response to protesters' calls to make a majority-white campus more welcoming to students of color.

The last 58 days at the University of Missouri
The fuse was lit by last year's protests in Ferguson, Mo., after a white police officer shot an unarmed black 18-year-old. Butler was among the students from Mizzou who made the two-hour drive to the St. Louis suburb to join in.

Butler, an Omaha, Neb., native, said Ferguson was the first time he'd seen black collective action on a mass scale. For a month, he shuttled the 100 miles from campus to Ferguson. “It was monumental in terms of how it influenced me,” Butler said, calling what came next “the post-Ferguson effect.”

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:13 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
But, I'll gice you credit, for a guy who accuses me of "dancing around" what I "really" mean you sure are cutting a rug around calling me what you really want call me.

Regular Reader wrote:

He was commenting on my posts, not me personally.

If you're going to say something, just say it.

But whatever, this whole thing has me tickled pink.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:27 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Regular Reader wrote:

He was commenting on my posts, not me personally.

If you're going to say something, just say it.

But whatever, this whole thing has me tickled pink.

Evidently you are too dense to accept what is apparent from my posts here. I indeed have long thought you to be a backward, narrow minded bigot who often expresses racist thoughts for jollies. I actually have long held you in lower regard than virtually any poster on this site, including the character that was JimmyReardon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Running to my "Safe Space" right now!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:44 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Evidently you are too dense to accept what is apparent from my posts here. I indeed have long thought you to be a backward, narrow minded bigot who often expresses racist thoughts for jollies. I actually have long held you in lower regard than virtually any poster on this site, including the character that was JimmyReardon.

There we go!

At least you didn't call me a Republican!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:08 pm 

Once the economy tanks under Hillary, republicans will be cool again.

Not even saying it will be her fault, but will be steady decline...we can go back to talking about money!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:23 pm 

We have 1 apology from the DiCaro army at Mizzou,"I have reviewed and reflected upon the video of me that is circulating, and have written this statement to offer both apology and context for my actions," Click wrote in her statement, in part. "I regret the language and strategies I used, and sincerely apologize to the MU campus community, and journalists at large, for my behavior, and also for the way my actions have shifted attention away from the students' campaign for justice."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:09 pm 

Her apology doesn't go far enough. She needs to be fired.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:54 pm 

Fwiw, my son & his three roommates down at Mizzou have one really big thing in common the last few evenings. They're all wondering about what the folks/students angry about the resignations are threatening on "Yik Yak" to do tomorrow. Evidently many of the students are full of bs & bluster. But my kid & his roommates have become close even though they didn't know each other, are from different places but realize and appreciate their commonalities and previously perceived differences. They took their parents' advice and talked among themselves first. I'm proud...and worried still.

Especially now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Good for them

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangelas
badrogue17 wrote:

I can't stand academics like this woman who often confuse justice or professionalism with their own personal ideology, but I think she got caught up in the moment and made a huge mistake. Some punishment is called for--the campus needed her to be a level-headed leader, and she wasn't--but no need to fire her unless this is part of a pattern. People fuck up all the time, and many benefit from another chance. So, if she's actually sorry (is there more to her apology? I'm kind of hoping so) and can show that she learned from this, I'd give her another chance.

I do find her ilk to be frightening, though. Tea Partiers, SJWs, Scientologists, people with all the answers . . . when they look at me in their fundamentalist disbelief--well, there's crazy in them eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:46 am 

Nas wrote:
Good for them

+1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:48 am 

Based on some discussions I saw at another message board, this has happened at a lot of schools in terms of minority students asking for more of a voice and more programs and the answer has been to actually do something somewhat meaningful to move things forward.

Whereas this guy basically said "We'll do something in April, kind of".

This guy just didn't get what it was like to run a University, and he got what was coming to him for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:33 am 

BongoJohnny'sInvestor wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I can't stand academics like this woman who often confuse justice or professionalism with their own personal ideology, but I think she got caught up in the moment and made a huge mistake. Some punishment is called for--the campus needed her to be a level-headed leader, and she wasn't--but no need to fire her unless this is part of a pattern. People fuck up all the time, and many benefit from another chance. So, if she's actually sorry (is there more to her apology? I'm kind of hoping so) and can show that she learned from this, I'd give her another chance.

I do find her ilk to be frightening, though. Tea Partiers, SJWs, Scientologists, people with all the answers . . . when they look at me in their fundamentalist disbelief--well, there's crazy in them eyes.

of course the apology is enough but isn't a Mass Media professor attempting to deny the press access to a public event, held in a public space on public property the equivalent of a Paleontology professor stating that god put dinosaur bones in ancient strata to confuse us? The credibility of her work is, or at least should be, damaged.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:36 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Fwiw, my son & his three roommates down at Mizzou have one really big thing in common the last few evenings. They're all wondering about what the folks/students angry about the resignations are threatening on "Yik Yak" to do tomorrow. Evidently many of the students are full of bs & bluster. But my kid & his roommates have become close even though they didn't know each other, are from different places but realize and appreciate their commonalities and previously perceived differences. They took their parents' advice and talked among themselves first. I'm proud...and worried still.

Especially now.

Good to hear. I think those threats are probably bluster but the University should probably declare a cooling off period for the rest of the week.

I love your avatar change. We have two more Untouchable openings, so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangelas
Quote:
The credibility of her work is, or at least should be, damaged.

Well, that is true. For now, at least...maybe always. Good point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next