It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou Protest
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tad Queasy wrote:
Hussra wrote:

I hope someone at Yale goes as "Soopermexican" for Halloween next year.

I'm going as a bowl of Menudo

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
spmack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spmack wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the only real "bad" parts of Rogers Park is in two places...the square two block area on Howard between Paulina to Ashland and the Jonquil/Juneway Terraces....and the other being right around the Morse Red Line stop.

It's hard for me to say because I spent so much time there growing up, but I'd say nothing on any part of Howard is too good. Guys get shot near Devon and Western all the time. Morse is a lot better than it once was, but still not the safest spot in the City. That area of Chicago north of Howard, what we used to just call "Juneway" is as bad as ever, I think.

This guy is from Birchwood and Damen. I don't take him seriously, but he's fun to follow:

https://twitter.com/OsoFuturistic?lang=en

Ashland from Howard to Devon is filled with bad spots. Plenty of people have been shot or shot at on the corner of Ashland and Pratt.

I once witnessed an assassination attempt at Greenleaf and Clark. That area is sporadically unsafe.

The side streets west of Ridge between Touhy and Pratt are largely up for grabs on a regular basis.

People are stabbed and shot pretty regularly at Potawatomi Park; Warren Park is safer but still home to a fair amount of gang activity.

Pratt just west of Clark, south side of the street, has some terrifying people living there. Lots of fights, occasional shootings.

This is just off the top of my head--keep in mind I moved out of state a couple years ago.

Like you said, Jonquil and Juneway are bad, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I recall a few odd things from my days on university campuses. Down at UIUC, I recall this biblical speaker on the quad. One day he was telling his "flock" to pray for the 43 saintly Republicans in the U.S. Senate. I asked him if that included Senator Bob Packwood, he of sexual harassment fame. On the UIC campus, I recall getting handed fliers on Columbus Day about Columbus and 500 years of slavery.

There is a lot of unique stuff and opinions on university campuses. You just consume that which interests you and should ignore the rest. People should quit the faux outrage. Such outrage diminishes and distracts from the real problems in society including ongoing racial injustices.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
rogers park bryan wrote:
The media is largely liberal. Ill bet FoxNews would be more in line with your thinking (that's not the insult it may appear to be)

But if you dont like what's on CNN, switch to Fox for the other side (for the most part)

Well it is an insult, at least to me.

Tall Midget wrote:

I'm not sure how one could see it in other terms. He also trivialized threats of violence by characterizing them as "bullying."

Nevertheless, the guy seems to be a good teacher and is extremely popular with his students. I don't think his comments deserve punishment, but I would advise him to be more careful about the way he phrases his emails in the future.

I'm not there. I don't have all the details nor a feeling of the campus. At any time in any school there is a complete nut wanting to be violent or capable of it if pushed or given the opportunity. I think that is the world we live in. I have no idea how serious or credible the threats were, the professor may not either. Since the school did not cancel classes, the professor said get yourselves to class. If anybody does not feel truly safe they can stay put. They are 18+ and can call/email whomever. I'm sure there will be something worked out and leeway given during this time.

I hope Reader's son is safe and things aren't that bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:34 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
The media is largely liberal. Ill bet FoxNews would be more in line with your thinking (that's not the insult it may appear to be)

But if you dont like what's on CNN, switch to Fox for the other side (for the most part)

Well it is an insult, at least to me.

Foxnews is conservative. Thats all. Id say the same thing to Rick, Seacrest, or anyone who seems to lean that way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:41 am 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:

I'm not there. I don't have all the details nor a feeling of the campus. At any time in any school there is a complete nut wanting to be violent or capable of it if pushed or given the opportunity. I think that is the world we live in. I have no idea how serious or credible the threats were, the professor may not either. Since the school did not cancel classes, the professor said get yourselves to class. If anybody does not feel truly safe they can stay put. They are 18+ and can call/email whomever. I'm sure there will be something worked out and leeway given during this time.

Well, he said a lot more than that.

The stuff about "not letting the bullies win" was obviously a challenge to minority students. Given the death threats on Yik Yak, the tumultuous nature of the campus, and recent incidents of mass violence on other campuses, his message was not appropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:12 am 

Tall Midget wrote:

Well, he said a lot more than that.

The stuff about "not letting the bullies win" was obviously a challenge to minority students. Given the death threats on Yik Yak, the tumultuous nature of the campus, and recent incidents of mass violence on other campuses, his message was not appropriate.

I guess my point is I don't really care what people say. Words can be ignored, dismissed, and you can disagree. I think his attitude isn't a bad one even if he is misinformed or wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

The personal nature of many recent campus demonstrations continues to puzzle me. Seeking out confrontations with other students--in the campus library no less--doesn't seem like an effective way of building a movement.

The Dartmouth wrote:
Thursday’s Blackout demonstration, organized by Dartmouth’s chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, has sparked controversy after allegations of physical assault were made by users of social media outlets, like the anonymous messaging app Yik Yak, and later in an editorial in The Dartmouth Review, which on Monday gained traction from some national media outlets.

The Review editorial said demonstrators pushed and shoved students in the library. One female student, the editorial alleges, was pinned against a wall by demonstrators while shouting “filthy white b****!” in her face.

None of the police officers who monitored the demonstration on Thursday night witnessed any acts of violence, Hanover Police Lieutenant Brad Sargent said. As of Monday, only one incident of violence in the library has been reported, and this was by a third party, Sargent said.

No complaints of physical violence have been made, according to a press release by the College. The College described the events as a “peaceful meeting” that transitioned to a “political protest.”

Several students have filed bias incident reports with the College, with some describing feelings of intimidation and disrespect by other students, judicial affairs director Leigh Remy said. Other reports expressed concern from demonstrators, claiming they are being falsely accused of being violent. Some reports claim that demonstrators are being named on Yik Yak and other social media sites, and that this creates a potentially unsafe situation for those people, Remy said.

Several students interviewed by The Dartmouth reported witnessing chants including expletives, such as “F**k your white privilege” and “F**k your comfort.” Several students also said they witnessed a group of women crying on First Floor Berry in response to the demonstration.

Two students reported that demonstrators entered their private study rooms and blocked the doorway, while others said that demonstrators singled out some students by name and circled around others’ desks while chanting. No students reported witnessing or experiencing any sort of physical violence, though some expressed that they felt uncomfortable or intimidated by the protest.

NAACP president Jonathan Diakanwa ’16 said there were incidents of close verbal confrontations between individuals, and that although these students could have been uncomfortable or scared, there was no physical violence of any kind.

NAACP vice president Tsion Abera ’17 also said that there is no truth to the allegations of violence.

“These allegations of physical assault are lies to make white students look like the victims and students of color to look like the perpetrators,” Abera said. “The protest was meant to shut down the library. Whatever discomfort that many white students felt in that library is a fraction of the discomfort that many Natives, blacks, Latina and LGBTQ people feel frequently.”

Abera denied that there were any physical assaults perpetrated by the demonstrators, but some protesters did use profanity in their chants, she said.

The NAACP organized the Blackout to demonstrate solidarity with the black students at the University of Missouri and Yale University, and also in response to the vandalism of a Collis Student Center Atrium #BlackLivesMatter exhibit representing the unarmed black individuals who lost their lives to police brutality this year.

Demonstrators marched from Novack Café to the lawn in front of Dartmouth Hall. At that point the official demonstration concluded, but many demonstrators continued, marching back into First Floor Berry up through Fourth Floor Berry, then back to Novack and Collis.

On First Floor Berry, many demonstrators spoke about their struggles at Dartmouth as a students of color and challenged and yelled at students who were sitting on the other side of the library to stand up and support the movement.

Many of the demonstrators then approached the sitting students and chanted “F**k your white privilege” and “F**k your white asses,” demonstrator Dan Korff-Korn ’19 said.

“It was important to point out that the students sitting there in the library at the computers represented this greater degree of ignorance, apathy and privilege that you see at Dartmouth, but the way it was done by personally attacking people was counterproductive,” Korff-Korn said.

David Tramonte ’18, who was not involved in or present at the library during the demonstration, said he heard from some students in the library that students were verbally assaulted and that some cried in response to this treatment.

“While I don’t think the protest should happen again to the extent where people are being yelled at and making people cry, I think the invasion of space needed to be done,” Tramonte said.

Victoria Campbell ’18, who also was not involved with the demonstration, said she has heard that demonstrators got in other student’s faces and that there were some incidents of disrespectful language.

“However, I have a problem with the protest being made to look like a spectacle by the students who were recording videos of it in the library,” Campbell said.

Many white students were angered by the protest and the language used, but the protest should not be labeled as a hate crime or racist, Tramonte said.

Charlie Lundquist ’17, who participated in the protest but left after feeling uncomfortable with the shift in tone and documented this experience in a column on The Tab, an online tabloid covering Dartmouth-related issues, said that the protest’s organizers “failed to identify what exactly was going to happen in the protest that day.”

“I think a lot of people wouldn’t have participated if they had known that the protest would be disruptive and in the library yelling,” Lundquist said.

Lundquist said that he left almost immediately after the protest reached the library, and did not witness personally any yelling or intimidation.

Comments such as “F*** your white privilege” were not personal or racist attacks on individual white persons in the library, Diakanwa said. Instead, these comments were meant to target the legacy of white supremacy that many students have benefited from and students of color are fighting against, he said.

Demonstrator Kevin Bui ’17 said that the protest called attention to important issues regardless of its use of expletives.

“I do agree that emotions got quite strong, but I think that we as a community should validate their anger and listen to it and not just brush it off,” Bui said. “It is important to look at what causes such emotion and how to support that.”

On Friday, College President Phil Hanlon responded to the controversy of the demonstration in a campus-wide email.

Halon’s email did not directly mention the protests, but it did discuss the merits of “free expression and the open exchange of ideas” while acknowledging that “the inclusion and safety of all members of our campus is a responsibility…citizens of the Dartmouth community [hold.]”

Hanlon’s response shows that people of color are not supported by the administration, Abera said, which has been evidenced by administrators’ responses to previous racist acts against people of color, such as the alleged egging of a Native American student this term, hate speech on social media and death threats that were posted on Bored at Baker during previous protests,

NAACP secretary Abbeygale Anderson ’18 described Hanlon’s response as “political rhetoric and fluff” that did not address anything that occurred on campus from either perspective of demonstrators or students who felt targeted by them.

At a community discussion in Cutter-Shabazz on Monday night, several students voiced concerns over portrayals of Thursday’s protest, particularly in The Dartmouth Review and on Yik Yak.

Vice provost for student affairs Inge-Lise Ameer was in attendance at the meeting, and she apologized to students who engaged in the protest for the negative responses and media coverage that they have received.

“There’s a whole conservative world out there that’s not being very nice,” Ameer said.

Ameer pointed to the College’s press release that acknowledges that no complaints of violence have been filed with the College at this time and describes the protest as a “peaceful meeting” turned “political protest.”

Many students who witnessed the actions of the protesters approached by The Dartmouth declined to comment for this article.

Assistant dean and advisor to black students at the Office of Pluralism and leadership did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

Safety and Security director Harry Kinne did not respond to request for comment by press time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:21 pm 

This is the problem with these leaderless protest movements. They devolve into uselessness. Just like the "Occupy Wall Street" people, the loss of focus and a clear message loses the whole thing.

That really seems to be the problem with these social media fueled protest groups. It starts off well but ultimately it is a bad way to get real change.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is the problem with these leaderless protest movements. They devolve into uselessness. Just like the "Occupy Wall Street" people, the loss of focus and a clear message loses the whole thing.

That really seems to be the problem with these social media fueled protest groups. It starts off well but ultimately it is a bad way to get real change.

We've already seen that these demonstrations will bring about change--university leaders and other administrators have been and will continue to be fired as a result of past and ongoing protests. But will they bring about progress? For instance, protesters on a variety of campuses have demanded more minority faculty, better recruitment of minority students, and mandatory diversity training (based on critical race theory) at their respective institutions.

The problem with these demands is easy to identify. First, there is a dearth of qualified minority faculty candidates on the academic job market. Qualified candidates are in high demand and often receive multiple job offers. Second, moore aggressive recruitment of minority students often necessitates significant investments that many state institutions are not well positioned to make, especially given that our current fiscal climate is governed by the doctrine of fiscal austerity. Third, the belief that diversity education will solve entrenched problems of systemic racism, white privilege, and microagression reflects a stunning naivete.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:55 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
The personal nature of many recent campus demonstrations continues to puzzle me. Seeking out confrontations with other students--in the campus library no less--doesn't seem like an effective way of building a movement.

The Dartmouth wrote:
Thursday’s Blackout demonstration, organized by Dartmouth’s chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, has sparked controversy after allegations of physical assault were made by users of social media outlets, like the anonymous messaging app Yik Yak, and later in an editorial in The Dartmouth Review, which on Monday gained traction from some national media outlets.

The Review editorial said demonstrators pushed and shoved students in the library. One female student, the editorial alleges, was pinned against a wall by demonstrators while shouting “filthy white b****!” in her face.

None of the police officers who monitored the demonstration on Thursday night witnessed any acts of violence, Hanover Police Lieutenant Brad Sargent said. As of Monday, only one incident of violence in the library has been reported, and this was by a third party, Sargent said.

No complaints of physical violence have been made, according to a press release by the College. The College described the events as a “peaceful meeting” that transitioned to a “political protest.”

Several students have filed bias incident reports with the College, with some describing feelings of intimidation and disrespect by other students, judicial affairs director Leigh Remy said. Other reports expressed concern from demonstrators, claiming they are being falsely accused of being violent. Some reports claim that demonstrators are being named on Yik Yak and other social media sites, and that this creates a potentially unsafe situation for those people, Remy said.

Several students interviewed by The Dartmouth reported witnessing chants including expletives, such as “F**k your white privilege” and “F**k your comfort.” Several students also said they witnessed a group of women crying on First Floor Berry in response to the demonstration.

Two students reported that demonstrators entered their private study rooms and blocked the doorway, while others said that demonstrators singled out some students by name and circled around others’ desks while chanting. No students reported witnessing or experiencing any sort of physical violence, though some expressed that they felt uncomfortable or intimidated by the protest.

NAACP president Jonathan Diakanwa ’16 said there were incidents of close verbal confrontations between individuals, and that although these students could have been uncomfortable or scared, there was no physical violence of any kind.

NAACP vice president Tsion Abera ’17 also said that there is no truth to the allegations of violence.

“These allegations of physical assault are lies to make white students look like the victims and students of color to look like the perpetrators,” Abera said. “The protest was meant to shut down the library. Whatever discomfort that many white students felt in that library is a fraction of the discomfort that many Natives, blacks, Latina and LGBTQ people feel frequently.”

Abera denied that there were any physical assaults perpetrated by the demonstrators, but some protesters did use profanity in their chants, she said.

The NAACP organized the Blackout to demonstrate solidarity with the black students at the University of Missouri and Yale University, and also in response to the vandalism of a Collis Student Center Atrium #BlackLivesMatter exhibit representing the unarmed black individuals who lost their lives to police brutality this year.

Demonstrators marched from Novack Café to the lawn in front of Dartmouth Hall. At that point the official demonstration concluded, but many demonstrators continued, marching back into First Floor Berry up through Fourth Floor Berry, then back to Novack and Collis.

On First Floor Berry, many demonstrators spoke about their struggles at Dartmouth as a students of color and challenged and yelled at students who were sitting on the other side of the library to stand up and support the movement.

Many of the demonstrators then approached the sitting students and chanted “F**k your white privilege” and “F**k your white asses,” demonstrator Dan Korff-Korn ’19 said.

“It was important to point out that the students sitting there in the library at the computers represented this greater degree of ignorance, apathy and privilege that you see at Dartmouth, but the way it was done by personally attacking people was counterproductive,” Korff-Korn said.

David Tramonte ’18, who was not involved in or present at the library during the demonstration, said he heard from some students in the library that students were verbally assaulted and that some cried in response to this treatment.

“While I don’t think the protest should happen again to the extent where people are being yelled at and making people cry, I think the invasion of space needed to be done,” Tramonte said.

Victoria Campbell ’18, who also was not involved with the demonstration, said she has heard that demonstrators got in other student’s faces and that there were some incidents of disrespectful language.

“However, I have a problem with the protest being made to look like a spectacle by the students who were recording videos of it in the library,” Campbell said.

Many white students were angered by the protest and the language used, but the protest should not be labeled as a hate crime or racist, Tramonte said.

Charlie Lundquist ’17, who participated in the protest but left after feeling uncomfortable with the shift in tone and documented this experience in a column on The Tab, an online tabloid covering Dartmouth-related issues, said that the protest’s organizers “failed to identify what exactly was going to happen in the protest that day.”

“I think a lot of people wouldn’t have participated if they had known that the protest would be disruptive and in the library yelling,” Lundquist said.

Lundquist said that he left almost immediately after the protest reached the library, and did not witness personally any yelling or intimidation.

Comments such as “F*** your white privilege” were not personal or racist attacks on individual white persons in the library, Diakanwa said. Instead, these comments were meant to target the legacy of white supremacy that many students have benefited from and students of color are fighting against, he said.

Demonstrator Kevin Bui ’17 said that the protest called attention to important issues regardless of its use of expletives.

“I do agree that emotions got quite strong, but I think that we as a community should validate their anger and listen to it and not just brush it off,” Bui said. “It is important to look at what causes such emotion and how to support that.”

On Friday, College President Phil Hanlon responded to the controversy of the demonstration in a campus-wide email.

Halon’s email did not directly mention the protests, but it did discuss the merits of “free expression and the open exchange of ideas” while acknowledging that “the inclusion and safety of all members of our campus is a responsibility…citizens of the Dartmouth community [hold.]”

Hanlon’s response shows that people of color are not supported by the administration, Abera said, which has been evidenced by administrators’ responses to previous racist acts against people of color, such as the alleged egging of a Native American student this term, hate speech on social media and death threats that were posted on Bored at Baker during previous protests,

NAACP secretary Abbeygale Anderson ’18 described Hanlon’s response as “political rhetoric and fluff” that did not address anything that occurred on campus from either perspective of demonstrators or students who felt targeted by them.

At a community discussion in Cutter-Shabazz on Monday night, several students voiced concerns over portrayals of Thursday’s protest, particularly in The Dartmouth Review and on Yik Yak.

Vice provost for student affairs Inge-Lise Ameer was in attendance at the meeting, and she apologized to students who engaged in the protest for the negative responses and media coverage that they have received.

“There’s a whole conservative world out there that’s not being very nice,” Ameer said.

Ameer pointed to the College’s press release that acknowledges that no complaints of violence have been filed with the College at this time and describes the protest as a “peaceful meeting” turned “political protest.”

Many students who witnessed the actions of the protesters approached by The Dartmouth declined to comment for this article.

Assistant dean and advisor to black students at the Office of Pluralism and leadership did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

Safety and Security director Harry Kinne did not respond to request for comment by press time.

That's brutal. We are in serious trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Many of these protests are truly strange, seemingly a complete rejection of the ideals held by previous generations of Civil Rights protesters and the political left more broadly...

Here's an analysis of the ongoing actions at Amherst College: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-illiberal-demands-of-amherst-uprising/416079/?utm_source=SFFB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:33 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Many of these protests are truly strange, seemingly a complete rejection of the ideals held by previous generations of Civil Rights protesters and the political left more broadly...

Here's an analysis of the ongoing actions at Amherst College: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-illiberal-demands-of-amherst-uprising/416079/?utm_source=SFFB.

I think The Atlantic, and Conor Friedersdorf in particular, has done some great work analyzing the protests from both sides.

Edit:

Quote:
But it was the contrast between the faux-militant preamble, with its stark warnings about radical measures and escalation, and the eighth demand on the list that actually made me laugh out loud: “Dean Epstein must ask faculty to excuse all students from all 5 College classes, work shifts, and assignments from November 12th, 2015 to November 13th, 2015 given their organization of and attendance at the Sit-In.” They’re posing as radicals, but still asking permission to skip class.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
The Dartmouth wrote:

The protestors do all of those things and the vice provost of the university apologizes to them for the negative responses and media coverage that they have received?

Un-fucking-believable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:47 pm 

I have feelings of cultural incompetence.

Some of these movement demands have the feel of Communist reeducation sentences

My children are still years away from college. I wonder what hostilities with which they will be faced and sins they will be asked to answer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 pm 

Someone put tape over the campus pictures of all Harvard's black professors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I think The Atlantic, and Conor Friedersdorf in particular, has done some great work analyzing the protests from both sides.

Edit:

Quote:
But it was the contrast between the faux-militant preamble, with its stark warnings about radical measures and escalation, and the eighth demand on the list that actually made me laugh out loud: “Dean Epstein must ask faculty to excuse all students from all 5 College classes, work shifts, and assignments from November 12th, 2015 to November 13th, 2015 given their organization of and attendance at the Sit-In.” They’re posing as radicals, but still asking permission to skip class.

Friedersdorf is right about the contradictions lying at the heart of this "movement": Participants have adopted the militant rhetoric of the Black Panthers, but their critique of systemic racism often devolves into complaints about hurt feelings. They clearly wield enormous power, yet they complain about how they feel marginalized, vulnerable, "unsafe." They seek to change the institution, yet their grievances most often deal with instances of microagressions committed by individual students. They deploy the complex political vocabulary and concepts of critical race theory, but they appear to possess the self-awareness and sophistication of Barney. And they denounce white privilege even as their critique of the social system underpinning it reveals their own economic and social privilege. They are, from my perspective, more than a little bit confused.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns

Man, this whole "movement" has turned into a complete farce.

Storming a library and yelling at strangers for being white is probably not going to move the meters, if you catch my drift.

Probably should change tactics...perhaps the first tweak to the plan should involve the cessation of stupidity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:26 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't doubt for a second "the movement" would do something like this to create sympathy and an act to rally around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:49 am 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't doubt for a second "the movement" would do something like this to create sympathy and an act to rally around.

Yeah, no kidding. The timing of that act is very...convenient.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:55 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yeah, no kidding. The timing of that act is very...convenient.

Agreed. That's why I phrased it as someone and not Hate groups.

It raises flags for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 am 

What makes things like this particularly despicable is that people have and/or will lose their jobs over this crap.

The only thing more ridiculous than the aggressive behavior of the people at Dartmouth is a member of the administration apologizing to them for the their hostile, bullying acts receiving negative coverage. As Tall Midget said, their inability to recognize their own social and economic privilege is absurd.

Reading these stories makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:56 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
What makes things like this particularly despicable is that people have and/or will lose their jobs over this crap.

The only thing more ridiculous than the aggressive behavior of the people at Dartmouth is a member of the administration apologizing to them for the their hostile, bullying acts receiving negative coverage. As Tall Midget said, their inability to recognize their own social and economic privilege is absurd.

The Yale screamer comes from Fairfield, Connecticut.

The group will eventually turn on itself as those from less privileged backrounds will recognize that they are not fighting the same fight as some of their more privileged brethren. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a person of color in the midst of at least a second generation of privilege might not have as strong of a claim to offense as others.

It would be pretty interesting for this thing to mature into a class rather than racial issue. Many of the movements issues seem to point in that direction.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:06 am 
1000 CLUB

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Believe it or not, this is not a story from The Onion...

Inside Higher Ed wrote:
Who Gets to Organize a Protest?
Demonstrations against racism at two universities were canceled after black students complained about the rallies being organized without their involvement.

November 20, 2015
By Jake New

In the wake of the demonstrations at the University of Missouri that led to the resignation of the university’s president, student protests over racial inequality and campus climate have spread to colleges across the country.

Though the demonstrations have included a broad range of minority groups and white students, they have predominantly been organized by black students. At a handful of institutions, however, white students have tried to lead the rallies, prompting accusations that these students are engaging in the same kind of behavior as those they are protesting.

Last week, a student at Cornell University announced that he was organizing a rally called #ConcernedStudent2015, a play on Concerned Student 1950, the name of the group and hashtag behind the Missouri protests. The year 1950 was when black students were first admitted to the University of Missouri.

Nearly immediately after the Cornell student created a Facebook page advertising the event, black students began to criticize the protest and its intentions.

“We would like to point out the lack of people of color in the planning and attendance of this protest,” Black Students United, a student group at Cornell, posted on the page. “While we appreciate the solidarity and interest of our allies across campus, we would like to be able to address prejudice on this campus and campuses like it in our own way. In the future, please ask how you can support us before organizing on your own. With that in mind, we would appreciate the cancellation of this event.”

Movimiento Estudiantil Chican@ de Aztlan de Cornel, a Mexican American student group, condemned the event in even stronger terms.
“Racism destroys because it is backed by power, policy and action,” the student group said in a statement posted to Facebook. “As students of color, directly affected by racial discrimination, the power to dictate how change must come about is ours. The #ConcernedStudent2015 protest disregards this notion, and instead perpetuates a white savior complex, placing the power to decide change in the hands of those not living our realities. In order for change to benefit the most oppressed students, our voices must be taken into account and must be at the forefront of these movements.”

Others accused the organizer of creating the event in an act of self-promotion, calling the planned protest insincere and “a complete mockery.” The organizer, Will Isenberg, is an aspiring entertainer who is known around campus for his attempts at satire. Shortly after the criticism surfaced, Isenberg -- who goes by the alias William Heisenberg -- canceled the event.

In a statement posted to the event’s Facebook page, Isenberg apologized for creating the event, but defended his motivations.

“I was not in any way intending to make light of the current, serious issues, but I now realize why people did not think I was being serious,” he wrote. “I have learned that other groups are planning protests of their own, so I would encourage you all to attend those. Thank you for calling me out on my ignorance.”

Also last week, a similar situation unfolded at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Students enrolled in Whiteness Studies -- a course that, according to its description, examines the “development of whiteness from past white supremacy, current colorblindness to possible future multiculturalism” -- decided to organize a rally and promote it using the hashtag #CUStandsWithMizzou.

Unlike the event planned at Cornell, the organizers of the event included students of color. However, many of the students involved are white, and the organizers did not contact the university’s Black Student Alliance or other similar student groups when planning the event.

Hillary Potter, an associate professor of ethnic studies at the university, said in a Facebook post that several black students told her they felt “further marginalized and silenced by not being consulted about these actions.” Leaders of the Black Student Alliance agreed, saying that they felt silenced by the event and how it was planned without their consultation.

In a comment posted to Facebook, Paris Ferribee, co-president of the Black Student Alliance, said she felt that the students were only hosting the rally to “be part of a fad.” She said a black student in the class had warned the other students against organizing the demonstration, but the black student was ignored.

“So whose agenda were they standing for?” Ferribee asked. “Who were they protesting for and what exactly were they protesting? To be a part of a movement that is much bigger than just protesting. Just to protest is problematic.”

On Friday, Azabe Kassa, one of the event’s organizers and a student in the Whiteness Studies course, apologized to the Black Student Alliance on Facebook.
“We realize that we acted impulsively and should have consulted with Black Student Alliance,” Kassa wrote. “We acknowledge that we should have contacted BSA to see what they were already planning with regard to Mizzou. While we understand that this does not excuse our actions, we learned a lesson in proper allyship. We still hope to work with BSA to support your efforts and to stand in solidarity with black students.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:15 am 

I started out with sympathy here and now I just want the whole thing to go away.

Good job protesters!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Uh Oh--Flagship U gettin all up in here.

http://www.dailyillini.com/article/2015 ... union-page

University pressures Facebook to shut down 'Illini White Student Union' page

By Marijo Enderle | 11/18/15 8:36pm
Update: Campus spokeswoman Robin Kaler said the University will continue to work with Facebook to have the Illini White Student Union page removed from the site.

“It is disturbing and cowardly that someone would create an anonymous and senseless social media page specifically designed to intimidate others, including and especially our students. When we became aware of the page, we immediately contacted Facebook and requested that it be removed," Kaler said in an email. "Facebook has been responsive to our requests, but the page continues to be reposted. We are continuing to work with Facebook to address this matter. We recognize that passions run deep on all sides of many issues, but actions like this are senseless and hurtful and do nothing to foster meaningful dialogue.”

Just hours after students gathered in front of the Illini Union for a black student solidarity rally Wednesday, an Illini. White Student Union Facebook page was created denouncing the students and Black Lives Matter protesters as terrorists.

The page directly singled out activists and sympathizers to the Black Lives Matter movement, describing itself as “a new page for white students of University of Illinois [sic] to be able to form a community and discuss our own issues as well as be able to organize against the terrorism we have been facing from Black Lives Matter activists on campus.”

Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson sent a Massmail to students Thursday morning, calling the page "extremely disturbing."

Wilson said the University asked Facebook to remove the page — it was taken down within three hours — and will continue to ask for the removal of any subsequent pages.

"We recognize the right to free speech, and we encourage you to exercise that right when you see examples of racism, discrimination or intimidation on our campus," Wilson said in the Massmail.

Some students have told administrators the page, and the posts made, have caused them to feel unsafe. Wilson said the University most foster an environment "where we can build understanding by truly listening to each other; and where we can benefit from the ideas, talents and perspectives of everyone in our Illinois community."

She said the University will continue to strive to promote respect and community on campus.

The page encouraged students to send in photographs of students who attended the rally on the Main Quad to identify “anti-whites,” and said it was dedicated to exposing Black Lives Matter's “hatred for white people and police officers.”

Following Wilson's Massmail, Jeff Christensen, University of Illinois Police Department, sent a a Massmail stating the UIPD would continue to monitor the page.

"we know that incidents like this create a sense of fear and shake your confidence in the safety of our campus," Christensen said in the Massmail.

Christensen said the University's cultural and resource centers will be available Thursday, Friday and after the Thanksgiving break for students who need a support or a safe space for conversation. The UIPD will continue to monitor and investigate any credible threats.

The University released a statement condemning the creation of the page on Wednesday night. The University called the page’s posts “clearly… offensive to our university community.”

“(University administrators) have notified Facebook of the page and asked for its removal, as it violates the company’s own standards,” said Renee Romano, vice chancellor of student affairs, according to the statement. “We also are reaching out directly to those responsible for the postings notifying them that the usage of our name is in violation of our trademark rights and ordering them to cease and desist.”

The page's creation comes in the wake of racially charged threats that were made against black students on Yik Yak at the University of Missouri after protesters successfully brought about the resignation of the university's president Tim Wolfe. Two suspects who allegedly posted the threats - one of which stated "I'm going to stand my ground tomorrow and shoot every black person I see" - have been arrested by the police.

The page was shut down at approximately 6:30 p.m. Wednesday night. It remains unclear whether the page was created by a student at the University.

If the creator of the page is a student, the University will not take any actions against them, said campus spokeswoman Robin Kaler, citing the creator’s first amendment rights.

Nevertheless, the University denounced the content expressed on the Facebook page.

“Posts and pages such as these stand in complete opposition to the values of mutual respect and community that define the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,” Romano said. “While they may be protected exercises of free speech, they are offensive, divisive and stunningly narrow-minded expressions.”

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:07 pm 

South Park did some stuff on this on this weeks episode. Hilarious.

The Character PC Principal is brilliant

‘South Park’ Brilliantly Mocks PC Culture

By Alexa Mouteveli... | November 19, 2015 | 4:46 AM EST
Share it Tweet it More Sharing Services

shares
TRIGGER WARNING: This article is about South Park and thus contains some explicit language and themes!

On the South Park episode "Sponsored Content," PC culture is upended when a student with a disability uses un-PC language. PC Principal is on the warpath to find out who printed a headline with the non-PC word "retarded." The culprit? Jimmy, the principled Editor-in-Chief of Super School News, who has cerebral palsy.

This scene where PC Principal calls Jimmy into his office to mansplain "about the rights of people with disabilities" while Jimmy defends freedom of speech ("I don't want people to be afraid of words if it stops them from having a dialogue") is pretty close to perfect:

-PC Principal: I want to talk to you today about the use of the "R" word in your school paper. You see, the "R" word is very bad.
-Jimmy: Says who?
-PC Principal: Says me, all right? And I know a thing or two about the rights of people with disabilities. When you use the "R" word to describe the school's lunch policy, it can hurt people's hearts. Can you understand that at all?
-Jimmy: That was an op-ed piece in the paper written by a first grader who found the school lunch policy to be ridiculous, and he thought "R-retarded" to be the best word to describe it. As the editor of the paper, I didn't think it was right to censor the words the student used.
-PC Principal: Okay, well, from now on, I'm gonna need to approve the school paper before you hand it out, okay?
-Jimmy: No.
-PC Principal: What'd you say?
-Jimmy: You're new here, so you don't understand how seriously I take my job as editor of the school paper. I don't allow ads, and I don't allow anything that might t-t-taint the truth behind what people are thinking. I don't want people to be afraid of words if it stops them from having a dialogue.
-PC Principal: Look, I don't want to get angry, okay?
-Jimmy: Why? Are you uncomfortable around people with disabilities? That's okay. Lots of people are.
-PC Principal: No, I'm not! I am very not uncomfortable. All right, look -- unless I can approve your paper, it is not being distributed on campus. You got that?
-Jimmy: I can't hand out the school paper in school?
-PC Principal: Not unless it is approved by me. Do you understand?
-Jimmy: Yep. Got it.

So Jimmy goes around delivering the school paper to people's doorsteps - hey, he only said it couldn't be handed out IN SCHOOL - with the headline "PC Principal's 'Retarded' Policy" which further angers and confounds PC Principal. He just can't understand, "Why would a person with a disability not see that what I'm trying to do is actually protect them?!" The answer, according to a fellow PC bro, is that "sometimes victims of oppression are so marginalized that they begin to sympathize with their oppressors." PC Principal agrees that Jimmy is an "Uncle Able," the disabled version of an "Uncle Tom."

AD FEEDBACK
The bros then host a PC Party, but they hit on girls (affirmative consent form, please!) by talking about how much they care about disabled people, while ignoring the disabled kids in attendance. There Jimmy gets his revenge.

-Crowd: Celebrate diversity! Whoo! Let's go, PC!
-PC Principal: All right, everyone. Listen up. Tonight's a very special night for the PCs. We're honored to be throwing this event for people with disabilities. I, for one, am sick of how these amazing kids are marginalized in today's society, but tonight is about learning and healing. So, let's get to it! PC! [Cheering]
-Brad: Hey, guys. I'm Brad. I'm PC Arizona State.
-Jimmy: Nice to meet you, Brad. Where do you –
-Brad: Uh, excuse me a second. Hello, ladies. Thanks for coming to our event.
-Girls: Hi! Hi!
-Brad: We're just tired of the way people with disabilities get treated. Can I get you some alcohol?
-Bro: Yeah, you know, it just bugs me when people refer to persons with disabilities as handicapped. When I hear that word, I want to [bleep] punch them in the [bleep] face.
-Girl That's so cool of you. Wow.
-Bro: Yeah, to be marginalizing persons with disabilities by asking them what their handicap is is a microaggression no better than asking a person of color if they went to college.
-Girl: Wow. You're really Progressive.
-Bro: No other way to be. So, uh, listen, I think you're really pretty and interesting, and I'd kind of like to take you upstairs and totally crush your pussy. Would that be acceptable to you?
-Girl: Oh. [Chuckles] Well, I-I guess it would.
-Bro: No, I'm sorry. I need affirmative consent. I'll need you to say, "Yes, you may take me upstairs and crush my pussy at this time."
-PC Principal: McKenzie, you got consent forms?
-McKenzie Oh, yeah. Right here, bro.
-PC Principal: Rise and shine, guys. If you scored last night, I need your consent forms. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Whoa, Barker, did you perform cunnilingus? There's a different release form, bro.
-Barker: Yeah, uh, s-sorry. It's right here.
-PC Principal: Nice.
-Bro: Bro! Oh, dude! Bro!
-PC Principal: What, bro?
-Bro: Dude, I scored with this female, and after consenting to putting her mouth on my penis, she wanted me to walk her home.
-PC Principal: Yeah?
-Bro: And when I got to her house, she had me meet her father, who is Filipino. So, I asked him if he could tell me about the cultural and social dynamics of being a Filipino American.
-PC Principal: Naturally.
-Bro: So, he said some stuff, and then a newspaper lands on his doorstep, 'cause I guess her dad subscribes to this school newspaper, and he picked it up, and I saw the headline said this!
-PC Principal: What the [bleep] Is this, bro?!
-Bro: Bro, that little kid wrote that our tolerant views and fight for social justice is just a way for us to crush puss!
-PC Principal: But that's not true!
-Bro: I know, bro! We're being totally victimized!

The bros hole up in their "safe space" to figure things out. They are excited to be relieved of the burden of white male privilege and be on the other side for a change: "Bro, we're the victims now. Like, we're being marginalized. Like, that makes us pretty cool!"

But the news is causing trouble in the Marsh's marriage, where Randy is enthusiastically involved with the PC movement. Sharon hits the nail on the head in calling out the PC bullying. Of course, Randy, like all PC/SJW people, completely misses the point:

-Randy: Look at what's happened to our town. We have shitpatown, boutique restaurants, and artisan shops. We have a [bleep] Whole Foods, and that was all me! Diverse people are moving here. Everyone's being aware of how they talk. This is paradise, Sharon!
-Sharon: Is it? All I know is that you've changed. Ever since you joined this PC thing, you just bully people and wait for people to say anything improper so that you can jump down their throats for whatever words he or she used.
-Randy: "He or she" is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot.

South Park once again hilariously exposes political correctness for the ridiculous nonsense that it is! Bravo!

- See more at: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cultur ... wlOxs.dpuf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:54 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I started out with sympathy here and now I just want the whole thing to go away.

Good job protesters!

That's how I feel. There's literally no story involving these college protests I'm not prepared to believe going forward.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Has the actual focus/drive behind these protests are?

Like, what are the grievances? Something? Everything?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:57 pm 

Why are administrators caving in to these demands?

Erased from history: Princeton president agrees to remove mural of 'racist Klansman' President Woodrow Wilson from campus to appease protesters who camped out in his office overnight

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3s3zuVPgI

LIST OF DEMANDS FROM PRINCETON'S BLACK JUSTICE LEAGUE

'WE DEMAND the university administration publicly acknowledge the racist legacy of Woodrow Wilson.' Specifically, the BJL asks the University to rename the Woodrow Wilson School, rename Wilson college, and remove the Wilson mural from Wilcox dining hall.

'WE DEMAND cultural competency training for all staff and faculty.' The letter states that this request was previously voted down on free speech grounds, and requests classes on the history of marginalized peoples be added to the list of distribution requirements.

'WE DEMAND a cultural space on campus dedicated specifically to Black students, and that space can be within the Carl A. Fields Center but should be clearly marked.' The BJL stipulates that the naming of the space be left to student discretion so as to avoid naming it after a 'white benefactor or person with bigoted beliefs, as evidenced by the naming of Stanhope Hall.

'These are demands from Black students at Princeton, who, in the words of Fannie Lou Hamer, are "sick and tired of being sick and tired".

'While we are graetful for the collaboration we have had with faculty and adminsitrators in the past, we make these demands during this unique time to expedite these processes.

'So that we can ensure that these demands will be met, we will request that President Eisgruber sign this document.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3s40Eb8om

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next