It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou Protest
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Leaderless movements are doomed to fail. It's really unfortunate.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Why are administrators caving in to these demands?

Erased from history: Princeton president agrees to remove mural of 'racist Klansman' President Woodrow Wilson from campus to appease protesters who camped out in his office overnight

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3s3zuVPgI

LIST OF DEMANDS FROM PRINCETON'S BLACK JUSTICE LEAGUE

'WE DEMAND the university administration publicly acknowledge the racist legacy of Woodrow Wilson.' Specifically, the BJL asks the University to rename the Woodrow Wilson School, rename Wilson college, and remove the Wilson mural from Wilcox dining hall.

'WE DEMAND cultural competency training for all staff and faculty.' The letter states that this request was previously voted down on free speech grounds, and requests classes on the history of marginalized peoples be added to the list of distribution requirements.

'WE DEMAND a cultural space on campus dedicated specifically to Black students, and that space can be within the Carl A. Fields Center but should be clearly marked.' The BJL stipulates that the naming of the space be left to student discretion so as to avoid naming it after a 'white benefactor or person with bigoted beliefs, as evidenced by the naming of Stanhope Hall.

'These are demands from Black students at Princeton, who, in the words of Fannie Lou Hamer, are "sick and tired of being sick and tired".

'While we are graetful for the collaboration we have had with faculty and adminsitrators in the past, we make these demands during this unique time to expedite these processes.

'So that we can ensure that these demands will be met, we will request that President Eisgruber sign this document.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3s40Eb8om

Princeton University has agreed to look into the legacy of alumnus and former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson after a group of students staged a sit-in to protest his views on race and segregation.

That resolution comes after university President Christopher Eisgruber and two other school officials signed an agreement late Thursday with the Black Justice League to end the 32-hour sit-in. The university said 17 students signed the agreement.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/prot ... t-35319259

They're going to remove a mural of Woodrow Wilson and consider completely removing his name from the university because a group of students staged a sit-in and 17 students signed an agreement?

I don't get it.

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Nas wrote:

All of these campus movements seem to have strong leadership.

But most of the leaders lack even a modicum of commonsense.

Rather than building alliances, they are generating animosity.

I previously compared them to the Black Panthers, but the real historical antecedent for the movement is the Weather Underground.

Just as the Weathermen misdiagnosed the "revolutionary" state of American politics and culture--as evidenced during the 1968 "Days of Rage"--this group of protesters has chosen a mode of political expression--personal confrontation and exclusionary rhetoric--that is completely inappropriate for the current political zeitgeist and the "multicultural" objectives it is pursuing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Nas wrote:

Sounds very Freedumb-ish #Truth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Tad Queasy wrote:
BLACK JUSTICE LEAGUE

Is Leery in this?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:52 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
BLACK JUSTICE LEAGUE

Is Leery in this?

He should be. Since Woodrow Wilson is dead he'd certainly have no problem taking shit about him.

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I thought these kids got what they wanted and have taken a back seat to current terror issues?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:11 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Erased from history: Princeton president agrees to remove mural of 'racist Klansman' President Woodrow Wilson from campus to appease protesters who camped out in his office overnight

'WE DEMAND the university administration publicly acknowledge the racist legacy of Woodrow Wilson.' Specifically, the BJL asks the University to rename the Woodrow Wilson School, rename Wilson college, and remove the Wilson mural from Wilcox dining hall.

'WE DEMAND cultural competency training for all staff and faculty.' The letter states that this request was previously voted down on free speech grounds, and requests classes on the history of marginalized peoples be added to the list of distribution requirements.

'WE DEMAND a cultural space on campus dedicated specifically to Black students, and that space can be within the Carl A. Fields Center but should be clearly marked.' The BJL stipulates that the naming of the space be left to student discretion so as to avoid naming it after a 'white benefactor or person with bigoted beliefs, as evidenced by the naming of Stanhope Hall.

'These are demands from Black students at Princeton, who, in the words of Fannie Lou Hamer, are "sick and tired of being sick and tired".

'While we are graetful for the collaboration we have had with faculty and adminsitrators in the past, we make these demands during this unique time to expedite these processes.

'So that we can ensure that these demands will be met, we will request that President Eisgruber sign this document.'

Princeton University has agreed to look into the legacy of alumnus and former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson after a group of students staged a sit-in to protest his views on race and segregation.

That resolution comes after university President Christopher Eisgruber and two other school officials signed an agreement late Thursday with the Black Justice League to end the 32-hour sit-in. The university said 17 students signed the agreement.

They're going to remove a mural of Woodrow Wilson and consider completely removing his name from the university because a group of students staged a sit-in and 17 students signed an agreement?

I don't get it.

I think Princeton is going to look foolish if they truly indulge considering changing that school name.

Kids, why didn't you reject your acceptance to Princeton in the first place if Wilson's legacy were so offensive.

Are they sure they want to go down the road of scrutinizing every leader for some ambiguous standard of acceptability, because there are going to be a lot of MLK street signs being taken down across this country if that is true.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
BLACK JUSTICE LEAGUE

Is Leery in this?

Black Hand
Black Adam
Black Canary
Black Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Tall Midget wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Many of these protests are truly strange, seemingly a complete rejection of the ideals held by previous generations of Civil Rights protesters and the political left more broadly...

Here's an analysis of the ongoing actions at Amherst College: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-illiberal-demands-of-amherst-uprising/416079/?utm_source=SFFB.

I think The Atlantic, and Conor Friedersdorf in particular, has done some great work analyzing the protests from both sides.

Edit:

Quote:
But it was the contrast between the faux-militant preamble, with its stark warnings about radical measures and escalation, and the eighth demand on the list that actually made me laugh out loud: “Dean Epstein must ask faculty to excuse all students from all 5 College classes, work shifts, and assignments from November 12th, 2015 to November 13th, 2015 given their organization of and attendance at the Sit-In.” They’re posing as radicals, but still asking permission to skip class.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Friedersdorf is right about the contradictions lying at the heart of this "movement": Participants have adopted the militant rhetoric of the Black Panthers, but their critique of systemic racism often devolves into complaints about hurt feelings. They clearly wield enormous power, yet they complain about how they feel marginalized, vulnerable, "unsafe." They seek to change the institution, yet their grievances most often deal with instances of microagressions committed by individual students. They deploy the complex political vocabulary and concepts of critical race theory, but they appear to possess the self-awareness and sophistication of Barney. And they denounce white privilege even as their critique of the social system underpinning it reveals their own economic and social privilege. They are, from my perspective, more than a little bit confused.

This post is pure perfection. I couldn't put my finger on it. It's Coatesism in action.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I don't get it.

I think Princeton is going to look foolish if they truly indulge considering changing that school name.

Kids, why didn't you reject your acceptance to Princeton in the first place if Wilson's legacy were so offensive.

Are they sure they want to go down the road of scrutinizing every leader for some ambiguous standard of acceptability, because there are going to be a lot of MLK street signs being taken down across this country if that is true.

There are a couple larger points here. The first being that it's really rather ridiculous to retroactively judge behavior that occurred in the past based on standards of the present. My parents weren't child abusers because they didn't put me in a car seat in 1967.

The second and more important being that seeking this type of redress for actions occurring in the distant past is a distraction that removes the focus from the very real problems of the present.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
One is far easier to accomplish than the other.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Kitchen
Woodrow Wilson was a fine Christian man with excellent core values. However, his liberal policies were awful for America. #Truth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

FreeDumb wrote:
Woodrow Wilson was a fine Christian man with excellent core values. However, his liberal policies were awful for America. #Truth

In 2002 my horse ran second in the Woodrow Wilson going for $650,000:

http://www.qhurth.com/trav/lopp/woodrow_wilson.htm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FreeDumb wrote:

German horse standings? lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FreeDumb wrote:

German horse standings? lol

I think it's Swedish.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:37 pm 

Hopefully the crybullies will start to face more opposition from other students:

Some on campuses criticize activists' tactics as intimidation

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... story.html

Alton Luke II is an African American sophomore at Occidental College who backs the broad goal of racial equity for students. But he has chosen not to support the minority student movement aimed at ousting college President Jonathan Veitch and improving campus diversity — and bluntly announced his views on Facebook this week.

For that, he has paid a price.

Luke said some of his friends, both black and white, have started ignoring him. He's been called ignorant. He said the hostility of some protesters toward those with different views is a major reason he is not supporting their current uprising.

"They're doing what they claim white people do to us, which is marginalize us and cast us as the bad guy," said Luke, a graduate of Long Beach Polytechnic High and kinesiology major who aims to become an orthopedic surgeon. "You can't have a different opinion here or you're persecuted. But I'm standing against their tyrannical and unjustified actions."

You can't have a different opinion here or you're persecuted. But I'm standing against their tyrannical and unjustified actions. - Alton Luke II, sophomore at Occidental College

Protests at Occidental, Claremont McKenna, Yale, Ithaca, Brown and other campuses throughout the nation appear to have wide support as they demand action to address the bias some minority students say they face.

But sharp dissent over the movement's tactics is also emerging, as critics have begun to step forward.

At Claremont McKenna College, where protests have led to the resignation of a top administrator, more than 300 students sent a letter to the campus community expressing support for the fight against racial discrimination. But they called the use of hunger strikes to force Dean of Students Mary Spellman to step down "extremely inappropriate" and also castigated the cursing at administrators at a recent student protest, the "cyberbullying" of students over an offensive Halloween costume and the filing of a federal civil rights complaint against Claremont.

"Never have we been more divided as community. Never did we think the day would come where we were scared to speak our minds, where fear of our fellow students' rage silenced us," said the letter, signed on behalf of the students by Nathaniel Tsai, a junior majoring in government. "It is time for the demonstrations and the hostile rhetoric to stop."

At Yale University, nearly 800 students, faculty, staff and others sent a letter this week to campus President Peter Salovey expressing concerns about several student demands — among them mandatory diversity sensitivity training, an ethnic studies requirement and the firing of a faculty member who questioned staff warnings about culturally offensive Halloween costumes.

Zach Young, a junior majoring in ethics, politics and economics, had joined the Yale student "march of resilience" against discrimination this month. But he helped spearhead the letter after he saw the subsequent student demands — especially the call to fire Erika Christakis, a faculty member who had challenged the costume warning from the Yale Intercultural Affairs Council, asking whether there was no longer room for students to be "a little bit obnoxious … a little bit inappropriate or provocative or, yes, offensive."

The letter defended Christakis' free speech rights and called the training and curriculum demands "a menace to the cause of liberal education because they are clearly driven by a particular political agenda devoted to conversion instead of intellectual exploration."

"I thought there needed to be an organized, vocal opposition to give [Salovey] an instrument to oppose the demands," Young said. Salovey announced Tuesday that he supported Christakis.

Young and Luke said they have never been threatened with physical violence for their views — unlike some protesters, who have reported receiving anonymous threats on the Yik Yak social media site.

Greg Lukianoff, president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education in Philadelphia, said students had always been the most reliable allies in his 14 years of defending free speech rights in higher education. But no longer, he said.

"It's disheartening to see how they are now using freedom of speech to demand there be less freedom of speech," said Lukianoff, whose foundation supported Christakis.

Some faculty members have also spoken out against the protests, including Glenn Loury, a Brown University professor who has long researched racial inequality and wrote that he was "appalled" by student allegations of endemic campus racism. Loury, who is African American, said he had been lavished with university resources for his work and well treated by open-minded colleagues.

In a Facebook post, he rejected student calls for a "revolutionary reshaping" to fight campus bias through diversity training, special staff to recruit more minority faculty and other steps, saying they could lead to "intellectual mediocrity."

At Claremont, a second critique was launched this week by two students who called for letters of support for Spellman, saying she had been unfairly targeted. The former dean became the lightning rod for long-standing complaints by minority students alleging university inaction in addressing racial bias and providing resources, such as funding and a dedicated space, to aid them.

In hundreds of fliers posted throughout the campus, students described broad experiences with discrimination, including vandalism at the Queer Resource Center, defacement of Black Lives Matter posters, racial slurs and perceived mockery of their cultures.

Spellman was particularly criticized for telling a Latina student she would work hard to support students who "don't fit our CMC mold." The former dean could not be reached for comment.

In marshaling support for Spellman, seniors Rachel Doehr and Katharine Eger said they supported the broader effort to give voice to marginalized students but expressed concern that the effort "quickly morphed into a torrent of seemingly uncontrollable anger that left casualties in its wake."

The students said Spellman had counseled hundreds of students at Claremont and led efforts to establish a new campus center for sexual assault prevention and support, among other things.

One student who submitted a letter of support but asked for anonymity to protect her privacy said Spellman had counseled her through months of depression.

"She always did her job with a huge amount of heart and love," the student said.

Taylor Lemmons, one of two students who launched a hunger strike in support of calls for Spellman's resignation, said she felt "deepest empathies" toward such students. But she said Spellman had ignored marginalized students and that her resignation — which, she noted, officials chose to accept — would help the campus move forward.

"It is not enough to help just some students," Lemmons said, adding that she did not regret her hunger strike. "She was legally responsible for ALL students, and students were blatantly ignored."

Campus President Hiram Chodosh has announced that steps would be taken to better address diversity on campus, including new administrative leadership positions.

The letter of dissent from Tsai and others asked the Latina student who filed a federal civil rights complaint against Claremont to rethink her action and allow the campus to find other ways to resolve the issues.

It also criticized what it called the cyberbullying of a Claremont student and her friend who were posted on social media wearing Mexican sombreros and mustaches for Halloween. The students have repeatedly apologized, but requests to remove the photo have been rejected.

At Occidental, Luke's Facebook post drew 167 likes and overtures from some movement supporters who affirmed his right to disagree and their willingness to listen.

Danielle Raskin, a junior in urban and environmental policy and a movement leader, said those with questions or doubts were encouraged to come by the protest site to discuss and learn more.

"As a community and movement, we've been welcoming and inclusive to those with different views," she said.

But Luke is wary, saying the campus' political climate is stifling. Earlier this week, he said he was attacked on social media as "trash" who was endangering women by throwing a party and offering them free admission.

"Either you're liberal or you're wrong," he said. "It's not a healthy environment."

teresa.watanabe@latimes.com

Twitter: @teresawatanabe
Copyright © 2015, Chicago Tribune

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:44 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

I previously compared them to the Black Panthers, but the real historical antecedent for the movement is the Weather Underground.

Just as the Weathermen misdiagnosed the "revolutionary" state of American politics and culture--as evidenced during the 1968 "Days of Rage"--this group of protesters has chosen a mode of political expression--personal confrontation and exclusionary rhetoric--that is completely inappropriate for the current political zeitgeist and the "multicultural" objectives it is pursuing.

the way they carried on reminds me of anonymous in some ways too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:07 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I don't get it.

There are a couple larger points here. The first being that it's really rather ridiculous to retroactively judge behavior that occurred in the past based on standards of the present. My parents weren't child abusers because they didn't put me in a car seat in 1967.

The second and more important being that seeking this type of redress for actions occurring in the distant past is a distraction that removes the focus from the very real problems of the present.

kind of gets to the point that a person sitting there at Princeton probably hasn't had the struggle others have endured

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Thornton Melon wrote:
Listen, Sherlock. While you were tucked away up here working on your ethics, I was out there busting my hump in the REAL world. And the reason guys like you got a place to teach is 'cause guys like me donate buildings!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:59 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Thornton Melon wrote:
Listen, Sherlock. While you were tucked away up here working on your ethics, I was out there busting my hump in the REAL world. And the reason guys like you got a place to teach is 'cause guys like me donate buildings!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:16 pm 

Brown has to be about the most liberal and open campus in the country and even it is not above complaints.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
good dolphin wrote:
Brown has to be about the most liberal and open campus in the country and even it is not above complaints.

Surprised no one has demanded that Brown rename itself to have a more "inclusive" name.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

Now Black Lives Matters protesters have been shot in Minneapolis--allegedly by white supremacists. Our society appears to be more polarized today than it has been at any other time since 1968.

The Washington Post wrote:
Simmering racial tensions have boiled over yet again after several men shot five people who had been protesting the recent police killing of an African American man in Minneapolis.

The shooting occurred late Monday night about a block from the Minneapolis Police Department’s 4th Precinct, where protesters have held daily demonstrations since the fatal Nov. 15 police shooting of 24-year-old Jamar Clark.

Police announced on social media that five people suffered non-life-threatening gunshot wounds and that officers were searching for “3 white male suspects” who fled the scene.

A police spokesman confirmed to The Washington Post that those shot had been protesting outside the police station before the incident.

“Tonight, white supremacists attacked the ‪#‎4thPrecinctShutDown‬ in an act of domestic terrorism,” Black Lives Matter Minneapolis said on Facebook. “We won’t be intimidated.”

Though Clark’s family called for the protests to come to an end following the shooting, Black Lives Matter Minneapolis vowed to return to the police station for another demonstration on Tuesday.

A video recorded by a journalist at the scene showed people fleeing from the shooting — then screaming for an ambulance. A young African American man was seen writhing in pain with an apparent gunshot wound to the leg while fellow protesters — then police and paramedics — tried to help.

Details of the shooting, however, remain murky.

Oluchi Omeoga, a young protester who has participated in the demonstrations since last Monday, said she witnessed the incident.

Omeoga and her fellow protesters saw three people wearing masks who “weren’t supposed to be there,” she told the Associated Press. When the three interlopers left the crowd and began walking down the street, a few protesters followed them. But when the three men reached a corner, she said, they pulled out weapons and fired at the protesters.

“A group of white supremacists showed up at the protest, as they have done most nights,” Miski Noor, a Black Lives Matter organizer, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Police have not confirmed or denied Noor’s claim.

Noor said the white men “opened fire on about six protesters,” after the protesters tried to herd the men away from the protest area.

Dana Jaehnert, another demonstrator, told the newspaper that one of the men wore a mask. She said she heard four gunshots.

Jie Wronski-Riley, a student at the University of Minnesota, told the Star Tribune that the shooting occurred as protesters tried to move the counter-demonstrators, who had been taunting protesters, away from the protesters’ camp in front of the police station. Suddenly, Wronski-Riley heard what sounded like firecrackers.

“Surely they’re not shooting human beings,” he thought to himself before looking down and realizing that two African American men on either side of him had been hit, he told the Star Tribune, adding that the incident turned “really chaotic, really fast.”

Nekima Levy-Pounds, president of the Minneapolis chapter of the NAACP, returned to the scene after the shooting incident.

“I am obviously appalled that white supremacists would open fire on nonviolent, peaceful protesters,” she told the Star Tribune.

U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison (D), who has supported the demonstrations, spoke out about the shooting.

“I don’t want to perpetuate rumor,” he said, according to Minnesota Public Radio. “I’d rather just try to get the facts out. That’s a better way to go. I know there’s a lot of speculation as to who these people were. And they well could have been, I’m not trying to say they weren’t white supremacists. But I just haven’t been able to piece together enough information to say with any real clarity.”

The shooting occurred the night before the one-year anniversary of a Missouri grand jury’s decision against indicting white Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the fatal shooting of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown. That decision reignited powerful frustrations about America’s policing of African Americans.

In Minneapolis, protesters have been camping out in front of the 4th Precinct since Nov. 15, when two MPD officers were involved in the contentious killing of Clark.

Authorities said officers were responding to a call for help from paramedics, who said Clark was interrupting their attempts to help an assault victim. Clark, who was unarmed, was also a suspect in the assault, police said.

“At some point during an altercation that ensued between the officers and the individual, an officer discharged his weapon, striking the individual,” the state Department of Public Safety said in a Nov. 17 statement.

Clark died in a hospital a day after being shot.

Even before his death, however, his shooting was already causing outrage. Several witnesses claimed that Clark was handcuffed at the time of the fatal shooting, although police claimed otherwise. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is now investigating the shooting at the request of MPD.

As protests gained strength last week, Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges also asked the Justice Department to open a federal civil rights investigation into the shooting.

Both Black Lives Matter organizers and the Minneapolis NAACP have called on authorities to release video of the shooting.

But Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said Monday that video footage taken from an ambulance at the scene was inconclusive. Dayton, who met with protesters and Clark’s family on Saturday, said he has urged federal investigators to release the tapes as soon as possible.

Although largely peaceful, the demonstrations have been disrupted by several other incidents. More than 50 protesters were arrested on Nov. 16 after they shut down a highway. And on Friday, police announced they had arrested two men for spray-painting profanity on the 4th Precinct’s walls.

After Monday night’s shooting, Clark’s family thanked protesters for their “incredible support” but said protests outside the police station should stop.

“Thank you to the community for the incredible support you have shown for our family in this difficult time,” Clark’s brother, Eddie Sutton, said in a statement, according to Minnesota Public Radio. “We appreciate Black Lives Matter for holding it down and keeping the protests peaceful.

“But in light of tonight’s shootings, the family feels out of imminent concern for the safety of the occupiers, we must get the occupation of the 4th precinct ended onto the next step.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
BLACK JUSTICE LEAGUE

Is Leery in this?

Black Hand
Black Adam
Black Canary
Black Lightning

... in my pants ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

This is a most inneresting comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Don Tiny wrote:
This is a most inneresting comparison.

concur. verrrry inneresting...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
1 shooting in Minneapolis & it's big news. 40 shootings in Chicago each weekend & no one gives a shit.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:44 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Now Black Lives Matters protesters have been shot in Minneapolis--allegedly by white supremacists. Our society appears to be more polarized today than it has been at any other time since 1968.

The Washington Post wrote:
Simmering racial tensions have boiled over yet again after several men shot five people who had been protesting the recent police killing of an African American man in Minneapolis.

The shooting occurred late Monday night about a block from the Minneapolis Police Department’s 4th Precinct, where protesters have held daily demonstrations since the fatal Nov. 15 police shooting of 24-year-old Jamar Clark.

Police announced on social media that five people suffered non-life-threatening gunshot wounds and that officers were searching for “3 white male suspects” who fled the scene.

A police spokesman confirmed to The Washington Post that those shot had been protesting outside the police station before the incident.

“Tonight, white supremacists attacked the ‪#‎4thPrecinctShutDown‬ in an act of domestic terrorism,” Black Lives Matter Minneapolis said on Facebook. “We won’t be intimidated.”

Though Clark’s family called for the protests to come to an end following the shooting, Black Lives Matter Minneapolis vowed to return to the police station for another demonstration on Tuesday.

A video recorded by a journalist at the scene showed people fleeing from the shooting — then screaming for an ambulance. A young African American man was seen writhing in pain with an apparent gunshot wound to the leg while fellow protesters — then police and paramedics — tried to help.

Details of the shooting, however, remain murky.

Oluchi Omeoga, a young protester who has participated in the demonstrations since last Monday, said she witnessed the incident.

Omeoga and her fellow protesters saw three people wearing masks who “weren’t supposed to be there,” she told the Associated Press. When the three interlopers left the crowd and began walking down the street, a few protesters followed them. But when the three men reached a corner, she said, they pulled out weapons and fired at the protesters.

“A group of white supremacists showed up at the protest, as they have done most nights,” Miski Noor, a Black Lives Matter organizer, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Police have not confirmed or denied Noor’s claim.

Noor said the white men “opened fire on about six protesters,” after the protesters tried to herd the men away from the protest area.

Dana Jaehnert, another demonstrator, told the newspaper that one of the men wore a mask. She said she heard four gunshots.

Jie Wronski-Riley, a student at the University of Minnesota, told the Star Tribune that the shooting occurred as protesters tried to move the counter-demonstrators, who had been taunting protesters, away from the protesters’ camp in front of the police station. Suddenly, Wronski-Riley heard what sounded like firecrackers.

“Surely they’re not shooting human beings,” he thought to himself before looking down and realizing that two African American men on either side of him had been hit, he told the Star Tribune, adding that the incident turned “really chaotic, really fast.”

Nekima Levy-Pounds, president of the Minneapolis chapter of the NAACP, returned to the scene after the shooting incident.

“I am obviously appalled that white supremacists would open fire on nonviolent, peaceful protesters,” she told the Star Tribune.

U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison (D), who has supported the demonstrations, spoke out about the shooting.

“I don’t want to perpetuate rumor,” he said, according to Minnesota Public Radio. “I’d rather just try to get the facts out. That’s a better way to go. I know there’s a lot of speculation as to who these people were. And they well could have been, I’m not trying to say they weren’t white supremacists. But I just haven’t been able to piece together enough information to say with any real clarity.”

The shooting occurred the night before the one-year anniversary of a Missouri grand jury’s decision against indicting white Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the fatal shooting of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown. That decision reignited powerful frustrations about America’s policing of African Americans.

In Minneapolis, protesters have been camping out in front of the 4th Precinct since Nov. 15, when two MPD officers were involved in the contentious killing of Clark.

Authorities said officers were responding to a call for help from paramedics, who said Clark was interrupting their attempts to help an assault victim. Clark, who was unarmed, was also a suspect in the assault, police said.

“At some point during an altercation that ensued between the officers and the individual, an officer discharged his weapon, striking the individual,” the state Department of Public Safety said in a Nov. 17 statement.

Clark died in a hospital a day after being shot.

Even before his death, however, his shooting was already causing outrage. Several witnesses claimed that Clark was handcuffed at the time of the fatal shooting, although police claimed otherwise. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is now investigating the shooting at the request of MPD.

As protests gained strength last week, Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges also asked the Justice Department to open a federal civil rights investigation into the shooting.

Both Black Lives Matter organizers and the Minneapolis NAACP have called on authorities to release video of the shooting.

But Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said Monday that video footage taken from an ambulance at the scene was inconclusive. Dayton, who met with protesters and Clark’s family on Saturday, said he has urged federal investigators to release the tapes as soon as possible.

Although largely peaceful, the demonstrations have been disrupted by several other incidents. More than 50 protesters were arrested on Nov. 16 after they shut down a highway. And on Friday, police announced they had arrested two men for spray-painting profanity on the 4th Precinct’s walls.

After Monday night’s shooting, Clark’s family thanked protesters for their “incredible support” but said protests outside the police station should stop.

“Thank you to the community for the incredible support you have shown for our family in this difficult time,” Clark’s brother, Eddie Sutton, said in a statement, according to Minnesota Public Radio. “We appreciate Black Lives Matter for holding it down and keeping the protests peaceful.

“But in light of tonight’s shootings, the family feels out of imminent concern for the safety of the occupiers, we must get the occupation of the 4th precinct ended onto the next step.”

That is some incredibly slanted journalism.

We don't learn that no one knows weather the shooters are actually white supremacists until more then halfway through the article, although the story calls them such several times.

We also don't learn that the shooters started out as counter protestors who were aggressively moved away from the protest by someone other than a public official until late in the story.

They story could have just as easily be "threatened counter protestors defended themselves" if a reporter chose to slant it another way.

Report the facts and let the story develop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

Odd take, dolphin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next