It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: To Pimp a Butterfly
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
She did an interview on Sirius radio. Sounded like a very dumb 16 year old or something. Rappers shouldn't have a hard time formulating coherent thoughts. She does...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
IMU wrote:
I'm no super fan or modern rap savant.

Pretty much me. Its like every 2 or 3 years though something comes down the pipe that I just fall head-over-heels for. This is that and a lot more. It's really, really, really good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Headlining Summerfest July 1st.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:43 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Headlining Summerfest July 1st.

Probably Lolla too

Maybe Ill do both

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:25 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
94 on Metacritic, tying it with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as the 2nd highest rated hip hop album ever (Stankonia got a 95) and 14th overall

(Meta does lean towards stuff released during the internet age, but still)

Professional ratings
Aggregate scores
Source Rating
Metacritic 94/100[14]
Review scores
Source Rating
Billboard 4.5/5 stars[15]
Chicago Tribune 4/4 stars[16]
HipHopDX 5/5 stars[17]
Complex 4.5/5 stars[18]
GQ (very favorable)[19]
The Guardian 4/5 stars[20]
NY Daily News 5/5 stars[21]
AllHipHop 5/5 stars[22]

Up to 96 now. Highest rated hip hop album of all time (internet age bias though)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
rogers park bryan wrote:
Up to 96 now. Highest rated hip hop album of all time (internet age bias though)

real talk RPB: would you rather listen to the new kendrick or an all-timer like, say, redman's dare iz a darkside?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:33 am 

seriously i really enjoyed the new kendrick for what it was and it was a total throwback to a better age of hiphop and it's a great step in the right direction for the future of the genre... but when we're talking all-time great rap albums there's nothing nearly as good and catchy as even one track from a legitimate top-5 alltime rap LP and i wouldnt even say that one's one of the best on the album cuz most of it is a "little homies" cut

Last edited by sinicalypse on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Action Bronson is basically the new Redman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
sinicalypse wrote:
seriously i really enjoyed the new kendrick for what it was and it was a total throwback to a better age of hiphop and it's a great step in the right direction for the future of the genre... but when we're talking all-time great rap albums there's nothing nearly as good as catchy as even one track from a legitimate top-5 alltime rap LP and i wouldnt even say that one's one of the best on the album cuz most of it is a "little homies" cut

don't get me wrong i'm a music fan in general and i listen to plenty of old stuff on a regular basis, but i'd say the ratio is probably like 70/30 new to old

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:36 am 

Bagels wrote:

that's kind of sad cuz while i like action bronson for what he is and i honestly want as much great rap to be out there as possible, dude can't even hold red's jockstrap in terms of lyricism.

i fucking LOVE on red's first LP he's got a cut where he builds up a story to a part where a doctor tells him he's got aids... ok then. next cut is called rated R or something and he's talking his shit to bitches and then he goes "AND THE BEST PART IS I GOT AIDDDDDDSSSSS BITCH!!!!!!!" and i fell off the fucking chair laughing cuz he set that up.

how about how on dare iz a dark side he said "and i'll even roll a blunt with a [n-word]'s ashes" and ok whatever that's 1994 but what's the plot of how high about? HE DID IT IN A MOVIE!!!!!

that's greatness. action bronson is nice but like.... hiphop aint as good as it used to be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40 am 

Bagels wrote:
don't get me wrong i'm a music fan in general and i listen to plenty of old stuff on a regular basis, but i'd say the ratio is probably like 70/30 new to old

my baseball uncle always had this theory that a certain point people "shut off" their desire to hear new music and end up drawing a line and then embark on a perpetual circlejerk of all the music they liked up to that point because it's comfortable to them, and most likely because it reminds them of an earlier time and place in their life when things were better where they are now.

i realize the danger of being an "oldschool" guy when my favorite musician doesnt release a proper LP for 13 years (and when he does it's flagrantly obivous it's a bunch of stuff he made when he was making that tuss EP in 2006/07 and just formally released now) and of course even my favorite/GOAT rappers were all better when they were younger/hungrier/less-business-minded.

i honestly want something to come out and blow me out of the water and make me renounce aphex/acey and pals and all hail the one true god.... but like, if that god happens to be a based god i mean like... you know? you know?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:53 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

real talk RPB: would you rather listen to the new kendrick or an all-timer like, say, redman's dare iz a darkside?

I cant answer that without bias right now. I love the new Kendrick. Ill answer in two years.

The best example for me would be Illmatic or Supreme Clientele

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
Bagels wrote:

that's kind of sad cuz while i like action bronson for what he is and i honestly want as much great rap to be out there as possible, dude can't even hold red's jockstrap in terms of lyricism.

Redman is a good punch line rapper. So is Action. Both of them dont "say much" overall. It's all subjective anyway.

Ive never seen Redman like you do. He is definitely a great rapper but not some untouchable god of the game, imo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:03 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

oh yeah RPB.... dude you can take 100 years to ruminate on the new kendrick but it's not even in the same region as illmatic. we'll let the lack of a famous pete rock beat slide, i mean.... illmatic was a time and a place / you remember where you were type LP. this new kendrick is nice and fine and like i said genuinely a hopeful thing that since control didnt work out beyond a gimmick to wake people up and get them rapping maybe this LP and its knobslobbery will do that. a man can dream right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:09 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

oh yeah RPB.... dude you can take 100 years to ruminate on the new kendrick but it's not even in the same region as illmatic. we'll let the lack of a famous pete rock beat slide, i mean.... illmatic was a time and a place / you remember where you were type LP. this new kendrick is nice and fine and like i said genuinely a hopeful thing that since control didnt work out beyond a gimmick to wake people up and get them rapping maybe this LP and its knobslobbery will do that. a man can dream right?

I think the new Kendrick will be looked upon similar to Public Enemy classics.

The social conscience stuff matters to me. I totally enjoy stuff without the social conscience (like Method Man, Redman, Action, fucking Asap Rocky for chrissakes) but my favorites are the ones that have both.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:11 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
The social conscience stuff matters to me. I totally enjoy stuff without the social conscience (like Method Man, Redman, Action, fucking Asap Rocky for chrissakes) but my favorites are the ones that have both.

i hear ya dude... it's nice that people care about the world we live in but in the end man, dude, it's just rappin. it's like didn't lovebug starski teach you anything?

(not YOU you but you know what i mean. you're cool rpb!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
I just got this. I am giving it the first spin. Wasn't really a big Kendrick fan going in but I am already sold on this album.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:52 am 

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
I just got this. I am giving it the first spin. Wasn't really a big Kendrick fan going in but I am already sold on this album.

It's a classic.

Ive recently gotten back to it after Dre took over the heavy rotation.

It's just a beast of an album. The track Alright is being sung at protests and inspiring scholarships. How much a Dollar Cost is a brilliant take on how we view poor people. Complexion is a logical argument against the ridiculousness of light skin vs dark skin culture.

I could go on. It's just awesome. And it manages to address all these social things but its still a bangin album.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:49 pm 

Yes it really is solid and I love the tracks you listed. The lucifer interludes are interesting, a bit much for me but I get how it ties together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:06 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I cant answer that without bias right now. I love the new Kendrick. Ill answer in two years.

SC? I think that is Ghosts second best. I am a Liquid Swords guy as best solo Wu. Albeit predictable response it is that good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:19 pm 

Rolilng Stone Album of the Year

Musically, lyrically and emotionally, Kendrick Lamar's third album is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece – a sprawling epic that's both the year's most bumptious party music and its most gripping therapy session. A rap superstar at last, after years on the underground grind, Lamar wrestles with the depression and survivor's guilt that followed his fame and success by turning to heroes from Ralph Ellison and Richard Pryor to Smokey Robinson and Kris Kross to Nelson Mandela and Tupac. He lives large. He contains multitudes.

The pleasures and rewards of To Pimp a Butterfly aren't easy. Leading the charge to bring live instrumentation back to hip-hop, Lamar and producer Sounwave call forth a sound as ambitious, free-associative and challenging as his rhymes: sci-fi funk on "Wesley's Theory," snatches of free jazz on "For Free?," steady-rolling G-funk on "King Kunta." Over all this, Lamar – his voice raw or multitracked into its own chorus – interrogates himself and a country where everything from his ancestors to his art has always been for sale. He repeatedly returns to a moment when he found himself alone in a hotel room, distraught and screaming. "I didn't want to self-destruct," he says. "So I went running for answers." The search is never-ending.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... z3t5g7s7dw
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Nominated for 11 Grammy's. That's fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:38 am 

spmack wrote:
Nominated for 11 Grammy's. That's fucking awesome.

Yep.

Best album in a long time. Historically great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:46 am 

I am going to take the plunge and listen to this after lunch today while I work on a project and find out what all the hype is about.
I don't suspect I will be able to take it all in on just one spin but want to let it play front to back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Obama said his favorite song of 2015 is How Much a Dollar Cost off of this album. Nice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:33 pm 

spmack wrote:
Obama said his favorite song of 2015 is How Much a Dollar Cost off of this album. Nice.

In my signature

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:09 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I am going to take the plunge and listen to this after lunch today while I work on a project and find out what all the hype is about.
I don't suspect I will be able to take it all in on just one spin but want to let it play front to back.

Dont blast it at work. NSFW. Especially the first part of track 1

Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:12 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Dont blast it at work. NSFW. Especially the first part of track 1

Enjoy

I have large over the ear headphones for the office. I am surrounded by older women in cubicles. I need the headphones to keep my sanity. Just started it 10 minutes ago.
I'll report back with what little I can add.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:36 pm 

I'm halfway through and musically I think it is pretty interesting. I'm not sure I have listened to a Hip/Hop or Rap album made after 2005 from
beginning to end to be honest with you. Lyrically I am a bit thrown off, based on the fact that the album appears to have multiple guest
performers on it I am not even sure who Kendrick Lamar is or what he sounds like. :oops: It's probably because I am a middle aged white
guy but the overuse of the N-word is completely lost on me, at least during the 1st half of this album.

Back to the music....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:45 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I'm halfway through and musically I think it is pretty interesting. I'm not sure I have listened to a Hip/Hop or Rap album made after 2005 from
beginning to end to be honest with you. Lyrically I am a bit thrown off, based on the fact that the album appears to have multiple guest
performers on it I am not even sure who Kendrick Lamar is or what he sounds like. :oops: It's probably because I am a middle aged white
guy but the overuse of the N-word is completely lost on me, at least during the 1st half of this album.

Back to the music....

Only one guest rapper and its not til late in the album. He changes his voice a lot. It's all him. (except for the woman ranting at the start of track 2)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next