It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I feel compelled to listen to the Buddy Rich bus tapes now.

- Is Buddy there?
- For the last time, he passed away. Why do you keep calling to ask me?
- Ma'am, I just need to make sure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
was it here that somebody posted them? kind of funny if you like laughing at sad old men.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Maybe Geddy and Alex should get Mike Portnoy on the phone as a replacement.

Though there were more skilled drummers before and after (particularly Buddy), Peart will always be my favorite drummer. Tom Sawyer is likely the most influential drum composition in rock.

I would say Portnoy is bloody likely to be his replacement. He isn't overly involved with anything, the Winery Dogs is more of a side project and he is obviously the most Peart influenced drummer out there. The problem is listening to that much rush might effect his sobriety... I'd need a drink for sure. Well he did stay sober playing at that dream theater so there is hope.

Portnoy is the bomb, one of the best but Rush is finished.

As they should be with Neil Peart exiting stage left.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Hatchetman wrote:
was it here that somebody posted them? kind of funny if you like laughing at sad old men.

Back in high school, we had guest artists for all our jazz ensemble concerts, sometimes just Bob Lark from DePaul, sometimes Randy Brecker or Maynard Ferguson. One time we had a guy who toured with Buddy Rich. He said that Buddy was certainly an asshole on the bus, but that more often than not it inspired people to greatness because they wanted to prove him wrong or get better gigs with people who weren't Buddy Rich.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
badrogue17 wrote:
They won't replace him, they're done. Geddy is on record saying if one leaves they won't carry on. They didn't replace him when he went on hiatus after wife/child died. Theu won't do it now. They're done as a group.

Rock stars thrive on the spotlight. They dont know how much they will miss it until they stop playing. In a few years there will be a Rush world tour.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Scorehead wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
They won't replace him, they're done. Geddy is on record saying if one leaves they won't carry on. They didn't replace him when he went on hiatus after wife/child died. Theu won't do it now. They're done as a group.

Rock stars thrive on the spotlight. They dont know how much they will miss it until they stop playing. In a few years there will be a Rush world tour.

Dude they took a 7 year break when they were at their peak 30 years ago. Listen to the interviews in Beyond the Lighted Stage about it. They were more than content to walk away then. So now when they're in their 60s and in poor health they're going to reform because they miss it? Not these guys, no way.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
They are not done.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:06 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
They are not done.

Done. Will not be any replacements and still called Rush. I'll bet dinner at Coopers Hawk on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:10 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
They are not done.

Rush will never truly ever be done. They will always be progressively rocking in our hearts...forever, for all eternity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Peart will get bored. No more large-scale tours but they will write songs and play live again.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:51 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Peart will get bored. No more large-scale tours but they will write songs and play live again.

I could see that. "An Evening with Rush" in a smaller venue and some more studio work. They can whatever they please, it's their world and SomeGuy is just living in it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:42 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
SomeGuy wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

I could see that. "An Evening with Rush" in a smaller venue and some more studio work. They can whatever they please, it's their world and SomeGuy is just living in it.

Acoustic Rush? No thanks...but possible.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:33 am 

Scorehead wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Acoustic Rush? No thanks...but possible.

No acoustic, sillypants, "An Evening With..." is what you'll see on many a Rush concert ticket. Smaller, more laid back shows is what I was referring to regarding the future.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
This really doesn’t come as a surprise. “I can’t pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend”. Peart has never been willingly in front of the camera. He’s very much an introvert and I’m sure he’s had enough. I can see a few random, select shows, but I’d bet he’s done with TOURING.

He’s been married a few times…tragically lost a daughter, I think. I just have to shake my head at being in your 60’s and having a kid…..that’s just stupid.

In terms of style, technique, influence, and tenure he’s the greatest drummer of all time. Yes, many hate Rush…fine, but his drumming cannot be disputed. There’s very few rock drummers with their own unique sound and style. Yes….Bonham and Moon are there. The guy that has stood out for me is Jimmy Chamberlain. He’s easily 2nd on my list, that’s just my opinion.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Furious Styles wrote:

Didn't Geddy say something like that. They will keep writing and play shows just no touring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
wdelaney72 wrote:
This really doesn’t come as a surprise. “I can’t pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend”. Peart has never been willingly in front of the camera. He’s very much an introvert and I’m sure he’s had enough. I can see a few random, select shows, but I’d bet he’s done with TOURING.

He’s been married a few times…tragically lost a daughter, I think. I just have to shake my head at being in your 60’s and having a kid…..that’s just stupid.

In terms of style, technique, influence, and tenure he’s the greatest drummer of all time. Yes, many hate Rush…fine, but his drumming cannot be disputed. There’s very few rock drummers with their own unique sound and style. Yes….Bonham and Moon are there. The guy that has stood out for me is Jimmy Chamberlain. He’s easily 2nd on my list, that’s just my opinion.

Chamberlain stands out for you more than Lombardo?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Didn't Geddy say something like that. They will keep writing and play shows just no touring.

I think he said he hoped for that but don't recall the exact words.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:20 am 

My point all along has been they won't carry on with a replacement. They may indeed just do a few select shows a year or maybe a studio album but they won't tour with Alex, Geddy, and a replacement drummer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Going forward they should hire a studio guy to play anything after, say, Grace Under Pressure and have Peart play everything else. The energy level goes so far down for the new stuff nobody would notice and he could preserve his joints. I saw them for the tour before this last one and we had dinner during the new stuff and came back for the encore. It was great.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"