It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:33 am 

W_Z wrote:
someone needs to make a Most People mult...

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NYD at night with a hangover and having to go to work tomorrow isn't ideal either.

monday morning after the superbowl isn't ideal either but they're never going to change the super bowl sunday schedule either. in this case, i think they know they'll get their ratings regardless...their demographic isn't GD's boiler room suits, right?

No, it's clearly the underemployed.

They should play the games on the U in the afternoons sandwiched between Judge Judy and Springer to maximize ratings. Victory Auto Wreckers is going to have to dig down deep if they want to continue sponsorship.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:38 am 

good dolphin wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
NYD at night with a hangover and having to go to work tomorrow isn't ideal either.

monday morning after the superbowl isn't ideal either but they're never going to change the super bowl sunday schedule either. in this case, i think they know they'll get their ratings regardless...their demographic isn't GD's boiler room suits, right?

They should play the games on the U in the afternoons sandwiched between Judge Judy and Springer to maximize ratings. Victory Auto Wreckers is going to have to dig down deep if they want to continue sponsorship.

Sounds like you're too tired and cranky from having to stay up so late on a Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Scorehead vibe.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:00 pm 

If not working until 5PM on NYE makes me underemployed then call me happily underemployed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If not working until 5PM on NYE makes me underemployed then call me happily underemployed!

If Brick was in charge of setting NCAA playoff times would he put the games on NYE or New Years Day?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:12 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

If Brick was in charge of setting NCAA playoff times would he put the games on NYE or New Years Day?
I'd love one at 6pm on NYE and another at 3PM on NYD but that isn't what you asked.

I think I'll enjoy it more on NYE but I obviously don't know for sure yet. I liked it on NYD too but it finished way too late.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Already done.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:47 am 

ESPN, NFL lobby for changes in College Football Playoff calendar

By John Ourand & Michael Smith, Staff Writers

Published January 26, 2015, Page 1
Font Size Resize Small Resize Normal Resize Large | Print | Share | Tweet
The College Football Playoff is under pressure on two fronts to adjust future schedules for its semifinals and championship games, sources say, but the CFP is standing firm on its original dates.

On one of those fronts, top ESPN executives are lobbying CFP officials to move next season’s semifinals off of New Year’s Eve where it would compete with highly rated star-filled countdown shows on several networks.

Related story:

• CFP ‘pretty close’ on hospitality estimates
Next season’s semifinals at the Capital One Orange Bowl and the Goodyear Cotton Bowl are scheduled for Dec. 31 but ESPN is pushing the CFP to move those games to Jan. 2, 2016, a Saturday with relatively little competition on TV. The NFL’s regular

SBJ Podcast:
Media writer John Ourand and Assistant Managing Editor Tom Stinson talk about the pressure on the CFP from ESPN and the NFL to adjust its future schedule, and what it could mean.
season concludes that Sunday, Jan. 3, and the league hasn’t had a Saturday game during the final week of its regular season since 2007.

Sources say that senior network executives as high up as ESPN President John Skipper are pushing for the change as a way to get better television ratings, but the CFP is unwilling to make such a move because it is committed to the original plan to hold tripleheader bowl games, including the semifinals, on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

“We’ve started a new tradition and we don’t want to back away from it now,” said Bill Hancock, the CFP’s executive director.

Meanwhile, the CFP is facing pressure on another front. The NFL is considering expanding its playoffs and moving one of the new games to Monday night when it would compete directly with the CFP championship.

Sources say NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell initiated a series of high-level meetings with some of the CFP’s most influential commissioners, including the SEC’s Mike Slive and the Big Ten’s Jim Delany. Goodell approached the commissioners to discuss the potential impact an NFL playoff expansion would have on the CFP championship game.

The 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick make up the management council that oversees the College Football Playoff.

If the NFL ends up expanding the number of teams that make its postseason, the league would need two more TV windows to account for the new games. In separate meetings, Goodell told the college commissioners that any playoff expansion likely would put a wild-card game on Monday night, sources said.

The CFP’s 12-year contract with ESPN calls for the title game to be played on a Monday night, typically the second Monday in January. The last three BCS championship games also were played on those Monday nights in January, dating to 2011. Similarly, college basketball’s men’s championship game is played on a Monday night in April.

Hancock said his office has voiced its opposition to putting an NFL playoff game against the CFP championship on Monday night.

“We picked Monday night because it was open and it was the best night for our game. We announced that in June 2012,” Hancock said. “We established that our game was going to be on Monday night for 12 years.”

A Monday night wild-card playoff game would run up against the CFP championship game for at least another two years. Later this year, the CFP will finalize championship sites beyond 2017, and Hancock said they are committed to holding the championship games on Monday nights, as outlined in its contract with ESPN.

Just last week, Pittsburgh Steelers President Art Rooney II told The Associated Press that it does not appear likely the playoffs would expand next season. But league officials have been wanting to add at least two teams to the playoffs for several years, and sources say a plan still could be worked out.

In the middle of the dispute is broadcaster ESPN, which owns rights to both the CFP and the NFL’s regular-season “Monday Night Football” series.

ESPN’s CFP contract mandates that the games are carried on ESPN — not ESPN2 or ESPNU, sources say. Plus, cable sources say that some of ESPN’s affiliate deals contain language that would prohibit the network from putting either the CFP championship or an NFL playoff game on ABC.

The NFL almost certainly would not allow one of its playoff games to move to ESPN2.

Still, the NFL could sell a Monday night playoff game to another network. A media industry source suggested that the NFL could look into packaging the new wild-card playoff games with its “Thursday Night Football” package beginning with the 2016 season. CBS last week signed a deal to keep that package for 2015.

“If it comes down to this, the fans would be the losers if they had to choose,” Hancock said. “That would be a shame.”

Whether the NFL expands its postseason and puts a playoff game opposite the CFP championship remains to be seen, but the CFP is holding its ground against the idea of moving its semifinals to Jan. 2 next season.

The move to Jan. 2 is attractive to ESPN because that Saturday is relatively free of big events, limiting the amount of competition the college games would face. Sources said ESPN is lobbying for the CFP to make the move only for the coming season.

“The timing works out for us next year,” said one source with direct knowledge of the talks.

The CFP semifinals on New Year’s Day already proved their ability to attract viewers. The semifinals — played at the Allstate Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl presented by Northwestern Mutual — each drew more than 28 million viewers. At the time, they were the two most-viewed programs in cable TV history.

The CFP championship game on Jan. 12 averaged 33.4 million viewers, becoming the first show in cable TV history to top 30 million viewers. Privately, ESPN insiders say they are prepared for double-digit drops in viewership if the semifinals remain on New Year’s Eve.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:23 am 

Ratings predictions anyone? I'm guessing down at least 15% from last year.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:31 am 

conns7901 wrote:

On one of those fronts, top ESPN executives are lobbying CFP officials to move next season’s semifinals off of New Year’s Eve where it would compete with highly rated star-filled countdown shows on several networks.

Does anyone really watch those?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:33 am 

Douchebag wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
This entire thing is so stupid. There are too many fucking bowls, especially now that not even the important ones matter. Everybody gets a participation trophy... yippie.

The only bowl game that matters is the Rose Bowl. That should be the championship game, on NYD, at 4pm Chicago time so that people can get good and drunk but still be able to sleep it off and go to work the next day if needed. They can do the other NYD bowls at 10am and 1pm Chicago time, four at a time. That's 9 NYD bowls, so that's 18 teams.

The semi-finals should be 6-14 days before then, depending on when New Years' Day falls. It should be on a Saturday at 3pm and 7pm Chicago time.

If this is all too rushed for the NCAA then the solution is equally easy:
- Semifinals on NYD
- Championship on MLK day at 3pm Chicago time. It's a fucking national holiday, make the NBA move over a little bit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I'll be out of town at the in-laws. My brother in law is a sports blogger/podcast host so I am guessing he will be watching
both games, I'm interested in the Mich St vs Alabama game and hopefully that stays close.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Douchebag wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:07 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
This entire thing is so stupid. There are too many fucking bowls, especially now that not even the important ones matter. Everybody gets a participation trophy... yippie.

The only bowl game that matters is the Rose Bowl. That should be the championship game, on NYD, at 4pm Chicago time so that people can get good and drunk but still be able to sleep it off and go to work the next day if needed. They can do the other NYD bowls at 10am and 1pm Chicago time, four at a time. That's 9 NYD bowls, so that's 18 teams.

The semi-finals should be 6-14 days before then, depending on when New Years' Day falls. It should be on a Saturday at 3pm and 7pm Chicago time.

If this is all too rushed for the NCAA then the solution is equally easy:
- Semifinals on NYD
- Championship on MLK day at 3pm Chicago time. It's a fucking national holiday, make the NBA move over a little bit.

Congratulations, you somehow managed to make the worst post in a thread that is loaded with terrible thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I agree that the Rose Bowl should be the championship game. When I was a little kid and knew nothing about college football (as opposed to being an adult who knows next to nothing about college football), I thought the Rose Bowl was the championship game because it was the only college football event I was really familiar with.

I didn't pay attention to the rest of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:29 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I agree that the Rose Bowl should be the championship game. When I was a little kid and knew nothing about college football (as opposed to being an adult who knows next to nothing about college football), I thought the Rose Bowl was the championship game because it was the only college football event I was really familiar with.

I didn't pay attention to the rest of the post.
I disagree. The Rose Bowl needs to go back to being the matchup between the Big Ten and Pac-10 even if it is the second best team of each.

Let the championship games stand on their own as unique games.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:32 pm 

I mean, it would suck if the Rose Bowl were between two SEC teams, but so would any bowl. What's so holy about this Big Ten vs. Pac-10 thing? What does any of it mean relative to the rest of college sports?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:36 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
What's so holy about this Big Ten vs. Pac-10 thing?
I know this won't be a very descriptive answer but here it is.

Because that is what the Rose Bowl is, and what the tradition of the Rose Bowl is, and pretty much the whole point of the Rose Bowl going back before pretty much all of us were born.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:43 pm 

But college football has changed immeasurably since then. If we're going to have a playoff system, immense television contracts, and a Big Ten with New Jersey in it, we're so far gone from what the Rose Bowl used to be, so why not make the most of your biggest sports property?

This reminds me of when the Big Ten added its championship game and Michigan/Ohio State fans were apoplectic about the idea of it, not because they thought they were too good to let Nebraska hang out with cool kids like them (though that was certainly part of it), but because it meant the entire conference's season wouldn't get to end with...The Game. Never mind that your own respective seasons will probably still end with The Game, that's not enough, it also means Minnesota and Michigan State and whoever else shouldn't be allowed to play after The Game. Fuck your Game. The whole league doesn't revolve around you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:48 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
But college football has changed immeasurably since then. If we're going to have a playoff system, immense television contracts, and a Big Ten with New Jersey in it, we're so far gone from what the Rose Bowl used to be, so why not make the most of your biggest sports property?

This reminds me of when the Big Ten added its championship game and Michigan/Ohio State fans were apoplectic about the idea of it, not because they thought they were too good to let Nebraska hang out with cool kids like them (though that was certainly part of it), but because it meant the entire conference's season wouldn't get to end with...The Game. Never mind that your own respective seasons will probably still end with The Game, that's not enough, it also means Minnesota and Michigan State and whoever else shouldn't be allowed to play after The Game. Fuck your Game. The whole league doesn't revolve around you.
Because the Rose Bowl is all about tradition, so if you take away the tradition, it's simply a game in Southern California.

The BCS did somewhat ruin the Rose Bowl. It should go back to what it was or as close to what it was at it can be.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 pm 

Like I said, I don't really care enough about college sports to pursue this to its bitter end, but saying so-and-so won the Rose Bowl just sounds more impressive than saying so-and-so won the Fiesta Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, or the National Championship Game. But it obviously doesn't matter; college football is chugging along just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:58 am 

Why are the playoff semifinals on New Year's Eve again?
By Dan Wetzel

The College Football Playoff semifinals are being staged this year on New Year’s Eve.

Yes, New Year’s Eve.

This is confusing to everyone because New Year’s Day is a great time for a couple big games and New Year’s Eve is horrible one – at least if you are one of the many people who A) have to work, or B) have other plans that night. In other words, tens of millions of you.

So why is this happening? Why is college football staging its semifinals at a time that everyone predicts will cause fewer people to watch?

Here’s the honest answer: the people who run college football don’t care about you. At all. Like, not one single bit.

It may not make sense, but that’s the answer.

View gallery
Fans of Nick Saban's Alabama (L) and Mark Dantonio's MSU may have to stay at home on New Year's Eve. (AP)

Fans of Nick Saban's Alabama (L) and Mark Dantonio's MSU may have to stay at home on New Year's Eve. (AP)

“We’re establishing a new tradition,” playoff executive director Bill Hancock said. “We're going to change the paradigm of New Year’s Eve.”

Except, no one is trying to establish a new tradition here. They are honoring two of the oldest traditions in America … self-indulgence and cronyism.

The conference commissioners who run the sport may not care about or even consider you, the fan, but they do care deeply about bowl executives, usually old friends who have been plying them with free everything – golf, gifts, booze, hotels, Caribbean cruises, you name it – for decades.

They really, really love those guys. Love them so much that when they designed the playoff they made sure, out of the goodness of their hearts, to continue outsourcing their most profitable games to them.

They love all bowl games but they love none quite like the Rose Bowl.

As such, they would never dare make the Rose Bowl move its kickoff time from 5 p.m. ET on Jan. 1 – you know, that perfect time to watch a big game. That’s when the start of the semifinal double-header should always be played. One out of every three years, when the Rose Bowl is a host, it is.

Yet in the other two years the Rose Bowl still gets the best time slot even if the game, such as this year, can only be considered “big” if you’re from Iowa. Meanwhile, the Sugar Bowl has somehow been granted exclusivity to the equally coveted primetime slot on New Year’s Day, even if it’s hosting Ole Miss-Oklahoma State and the five losses between them.

Oklahoma-Clemson and Michigan State-Alabama, the games that actually matter, get the less desirable times the day before.

– – – – – – – – – – – –

Again, this makes no sense. It’s the reality though. In college football the Rose Bowl gets to call the shots. It just does. In any other sport, or any other business, they would either tell them to move or just crush them with counter programming.

Instead, college football decision-makers tell the fans to get lost while gleefully allowing the bowls to lead them around by the nose.

Conference commissioners are like that desperate guy in every Cialis commercial, blithely going for boring hikes through the foliage or freezing while holding hands in his and her tubs overlooking a valley ("You want me to take a bath in the damn woods?"). It’s all in the pitiful hope that their favorite bowl executive will give them that look that says the time is right.

View gallery
CFP director Bill Hancock doesn't seem to care about your New Year's Eve plans. (AP)

CFP director Bill Hancock doesn't seem to care about your New Year's Eve plans. (AP)

Oh Rose Bowl, of course I’ll kick a semifinal off at 1 p.m. on a workday on the West Coast. And yes, I’ll absolutely not care about people, mostly younger, who have long-established plans or work that evening – in restaurants or transportation or staffed-up hospitals or wherever. I know you're not a school, a conference or in any way part of the NCAA, but let's go have a long, meaningful talk over a hot cup of tea.

The other option would be to just grant the Rose and Sugar Bowl permanent semifinal hosting status, maintaining New Year’s Day as the day for the semifinal. That would be true love, but it would also prevent spreading the graft out to four other bowl sites.

Extra palms. Extra grease.

Don’t blame ESPN. It knows its ratings will drop. The network fought this originally – literally stunned it was even a consideration. Later it lobbied to move, for this year only, the semifinals to Saturday, Jan. 2.

The NFL is staging all its Week 17 games on Sunday, Jan. 3, so Saturday is wide-open. It's absolutely perfect if you care about, say, trying to make it as convenient as possible for fans to either watch on TV or travel to a game.

"We understand and appreciate their interest in this," Hancock said in a statement last January. “The fact is that we have started a new tradition … we're not interested in changing.”

Don't worry, Saturday night they'll give you the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl instead. So there's that.

– – – – – – – – – – – –

Look, these guys aren’t really in tune with anything but the hardest core segment of their fan base – the fanatical booster that will find a way. And, yes, many people will still watch. I'm one of them. It’s easy for me to be there though because this is my job. Most really big-time fans will find time too. Some others will – those who usually stay in on New Year’s Eve (then again, if you stay in on New Year’s Eve, you also stay in on New Year’s Day too).

Many won’t though and that’s rough for them. Some will try and fail to carve out eight hours of football viewing under relationship duress. Some will be stuck at nightclubs or weddings or a couples' function. Others just have to earn an honest living. These people are a mystery to the commissioners, whose work entails watching college football and therefore seem to assume everyone can watch while on the job. Look, Mr. Police Officer, just stream it on your tablet. Those drunk drivers can handle themselves.

As for entertainment options, for these guys, New Year’s Eve has long been about whatever bowl director is springing for the single malts and medium rares. Conceptually, a party is being at some other old person’s house where the TV can easily show the game, especially since they can’t seem to figure out what channel Dick Clark is on anyway.

“It might be a great way to bring more women to college football,” Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany reasoned to the Chicago Tribune. “We can build our audience.”

View gallery

OK, then. Delany is the same guy who runs a Midwest-based league but didn’t want any semifinals played in the Midwest because he has too much love for the old bowls and old bowl directors in the South and West. Forget seeking a competitive advantage for his teams or bringing big-event revenue to the region or caring about how costly the travel is for his own league’s fans.

Really, this is your fault. You should have planned accordingly. They warned you by running that commercial with Jimmy Kimmel and a host of characters sadly singing "Auld Lang Syne" at a New Year’s Eve party.

It’s a weird spot and not just because, as SB Nation pointed out, the UCLA mascot, Joe Bruin, tries to pick up a UCLA cheerleader while also having his arm wrapped around his steady, Josephine Bruin (now this is an adventurous way to ring in 2016).

Stranger is there are no TVs at the party in the commercial. In an effort to get you to watch the College Football Playoff on New Year's Eve, no one is watching the College Football Playoff on New Year's Eve.

Apparently Jimmy Kimmel has other things to do, too.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:06 am 

Like usual, we appreciate your opinion on the article you linked, conns. :wink: :lol:

We just finalized our plans tonight for NYE. Got a group of out friends coming over to watch these games and have food/drinks. It's just horrible.
We could have gone to a bar/club/dinner and spent a crazy amount of money to not see the Bama/MSU game, but.......CRAZY....we decided against it.

I love this, as a CFB fan.

Last edited by spanky on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:15 am 

spanky wrote:
Like usual, we appreciate your opinion on the article you linked, conns. :wink: :lol:

We just finalized our plans tonight for NYE. Got a group of out friends coming over to watch these games and have food drinks. It's just horrible.
We could have gone to a bar/club/dinner and spent a crazy amount of money to not see the Bama/MSU game, but.......CRAZY....we decided against it.

Incredibly stupid and will significantly damage their ratings.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:20 am 

conns7901 wrote:
spanky wrote:

We just finalized our plans tonight for NYE. Got a group of out friends coming over to watch these games and have food drinks. It's just horrible.

Incredibly stupid and will significantly damage their ratings.

The ratings would have gone down, at least minimally, because last year had a "spectacle" factor to it because it was the first year.

I just saw a report that today's matinee bowl game, between WKU and USF (!!), had a better rating than SATURDAY'S UCLA/UNC Basketball game.
Two of CBB greatest teams who are both pretty good this year, on a weekend.

The CFB playoff is gonna be fine. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:11 am 

I do agree with one part:

WAY too much attention is being paid to the Rose Bowl. If a network and their MILLIONS of $$ would tell them to select a new start time.......suddenly, they wouldn't care about their traditional start time.

I LOVE watching the Rose Bowl. But so did my grandpa.
But I like watching the Fiesta, and the Cotton, and the Sugar, and.....WAY more than my grandpa did.

But the start time of the Rose Bowl is not the reason why the semi-finals are being played on NYE. Clearly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:54 pm 

Quote:
John Ourand ‏@Ourand_SBJ

Overnights: 9.9 for Cotton and 9.7 for Orange. Last year's semis were 15.5 for the early game and 15.3 for the late one.

Down 36% and 37%

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Surprised that's all it went down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:51 pm 

This just proves that people are fans of watching TV on one of the slowest/laziest days of the year, and they couldn't give a damn about college football.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next