It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
This was my band at Metro in 95.
I'm the drummer. My brother is the non red haired guitar player.
If any one gives a fuck..........just thought I'd put it out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXkiagvkuwk

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XP__fbZoss

I was so happy that the bass player Gregg made dvds of this, and Ian put it on Youtube.
20 fucking years ago, wow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Nice! That's pretty awesome! I really dig the groove on that second one.

Maybe we can make this a thread of people and their former bands and the lost footage? 8)

I've got some stuff from playing at JJ Kelleys around 1999, I think. I was also the drummer. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. The 90s was a great time to be in a band and play out...not so much anymore. Rock is practically dead. :(

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

Last edited by Eaglo Jeff on Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
All I can say is,
Frank I am sorry for all the bad things I ever said about Pi Theory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
shirtless driver wrote:
This was my band at Metro in 95.
I'm the drummer. My brother is the non red haired guitar player.
If any one gives a fuck..........just thought I'd put it out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXkiagvkuwk

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XP__fbZoss

I was so happy that the bass player Gregg made dvds of this, and Ian put it on Youtube.
20 fucking years ago, wow.

Awesome stuff.

Too bad they didnt have HD back then because a massive Fathead of that in the Metro .....would be Epic man cave stuff!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:44 pm 

i was in 6th grade i think

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:49 pm 

Thanks BigFan and Jeff....as usual, I don't understand what Ike or chas is saying.
It was just super cool to hear those songs for the first time in 20 years, and to remember
that I used to be a beast on drums.
We didn't a;ways know which direction the song was going, but that was entirely my fault.....
at age 21, I wanted the crowd (at this show, I think there 250) to feel it, so I didn't always know
where I was going.
8) :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
IkeSouth wrote:

How many tries until you passed?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
redskingreg wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

How many tries until you passed?

At least he got further than Jethro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
If this is the same "Stranger things" band from lake County, then I saw you in Waukegan a few years earlier.

Sounds and looks good!

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
sort of a Hum sound, you guys start out downstate? Lotta good power pop out of middle-Illinois in the 1990's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:40 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Hussra wrote:
sort of a Hum sound, you guys start out downstate? Lotta good power pop out of middle-Illinois in the 1990's.

Menthol! Poster Children! Titanic Love Affair!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:51 pm 

To wdelaney74: yes indeed, we were from Round Lake, and if you saw us in Waukegan, could it have been Cafe Kismet?

To Hussra: Was the HUM influence that obvious? 8) :lol:

To JORR: FUCKING TITANIC LOVE AFFAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:48 pm 

Cafe Kismet,indeed!
This is going to turn into the "i know Shirtless driver when he used to Rock n Roll!"

I had met Mark Elilololololololpolos through mutual friends. We were at a party and had this super long, detailed discussion on why "Gish" has the greatest recorded snare drum sound, ever!. To this day, I'd have to agree. I didn't know Mark well at all...just met him a handful of times and seemed like a good Dude. I found out way after the fact that he was in Stabbing Westward. I also had known his GF at the time, Karen? (she was one of a twin). Worked with her at the shit hole known as Six Flags.

My memories of the Kismet show was
a) playing a cover of "that is why" by Jellyfish
b) before playing "Mr. Moustache" by Nrivana the introduction was something along the lines of "This is a really bad song, by a really bad band".

I enjoyed the show a lot. Your band was very good. I'm thinking this went all the way back to '92?

I believe you also played a CLC Battle of the Bands? My friends Bill Stewart and Matt Ryan were in one of those shows, but the name of the band changed so much I couldn't recall. I was away at ISU by then and had limited time at home with that scene.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:30 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Cafe Kismet,indeed!
This is going to turn into the "i know Shirtless driver when he used to Rock n Roll!"

I had met Mark Elilololololololpolos through mutual friends. We were at a party and had this super long, detailed discussion on why "Gish" has the greatest recorded snare drum sound, ever!. To this day, I'd have to agree. I didn't know Mark well at all...just met him a handful of times and seemed like a good Dude. I found out way after the fact that he was in Stabbing Westward. I also had known his GF at the time, Karen? (she was one of a twin). Worked with her at the shit hole known as Six Flags.

b) before playing "Mr. Moustache" by Nrivana the introduction was something along the lines of "This is a really bad song, by a really bad band".

I enjoyed the show a lot. Your band was very good. I'm thinking this went all the way back to '92?

I believe you also played a CLC Battle of the Bands? My friends Bill Stewart and Matt Ryan were in one of those shows, but the name of the band changed so much I couldn't recall. I was away at ISU by then and had limited time at home with that scene.

Oh wow........... :D
Me and Mark had a major falling out in 2001, but I am happy to say we are back on speaking terms and it's going well. One of my best friends ever. He is a great guy. Maybe his gf's name was Susan at that time? And yeah, we were WAY into Gish, still are. Heh, I worked at Great America in the YouSing recording studio right by where the Edge was....

And yeah, we were totally in on the ground floor on Jellyfish. I don't quite recall the Nirvana cover, but I'm sure it was horrible. :lol:

And yessir, you are correct, we did play at, I think 2, of the CLC BOTB - we won one, and our prize was opening for Birds At The End Of The Road........ :roll: :o :roll:

I put out a message on FB to try and find out what Bill and Matt's band was called, I worked with Matt briefly at Uline in 2001. Solid dude.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:

TLA - the late, great Jay Bennett's pre-WILCO band. I don't know the other ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:37 pm 

Hussra wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:

TLA - the late, great Jay Bennett's pre-WILCO band. I don't know the other ones.

Jay Bennett was the greatest........Tweedy couldn't handle him, he was just too awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Hussra wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Here's Menthol's masterpiece. "Stress Is Best" and "Bedheaded, Redeyed, and Bewildered" are great songs.

http://listenmusicfm.net/artist/Menthol ... lbum_49647

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:53 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Jay Bennett was the greatest........Tweedy couldn't handle him, he was just too awesome.

Godamn right. Have you heard Danger! Rock Science!, JORR?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:09 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Cafe Kismet,indeed!

Blacklight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:51 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
Cafe Kismet,indeed!

Blacklight.

I had remembered "blacklight" on the drive home. I was the original drummer of what became Blacklight...we were called "the sinks". I don't get to see Matt much since he moved to NOLA but he'll always be one of my best friends. I love that dude. I know he'll be up for the Iron Maiden show in April. For years, I'll run into Bill at the most random of places. He hasn't changed a bit. He's a riot....it seems we now usually all gather at Lake Villa Days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:08 pm 

When you saw us at Kismet, Mark was the singer....after we broke up, and he joined SW, Ian and my brother took over on vox.
Just found a VHS of 2 Stranger Things shows from 10/1/94 and 1/27/95......I'm ordering an EZ cap today to convert it to digital......one show is better than the other one, but once I figure out how to upload it, I will.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
shirtless driver wrote:
To wdelaney74: yes indeed, we were from Round Lake, and if you saw us in Waukegan, could it have been Cafe Kismet?

To Hussra: Was the HUM influence that obvious? 8) :lol:

To JORR: FUCKING TITANIC LOVE AFFAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Def hum influence but there is also a nice Berkeley punk feel that comes through too in the energy. Lil Samiam/Jawbreaker.