It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:36 pm 

pittmike wrote:
From what I read Page and Plant made folks laugh and impressed with their British style. Simply listening to the beginning of each song I thought they were sunk. It must have been more complicated than that.

I'd have loved to hear exactly how the judge explained to the jury why they couldn't hear the original versions of the songs. Most jurors would have expected to hear those first & been shocked/perturbed when they didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The jury was not allowed to hear the actual sound recordings but rather the sheet music (reproduced on piano?) due to the way the copyright laws were written. That would appear to have been a big disadvantage to the plaintiffs.

Page and Plant are very charismatic...I wouldn't be surprised if the jurors were seeking autographs after the verdict!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Jaw Breaker wrote:
The jury was not allowed to hear the actual sound recordings but rather the sheet music (reproduced on piano?) due to the way the copyright laws were written. That would appear to have been a big disadvantage to the plaintiffs.

Page and Plant are very charismatic...I wouldn't be surprised if the jurors were seeking autographs after the verdict!

That's interesting -- hearing them back to back, there's a similarity there for sure -- I don't know if it is note for note plagarism, but the vibe the music has (at least for that part of it) is very similar.

I think they need to tighten up the statue of limitations on these things though because this should have been decided at least three decades ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
newper wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

That's interesting -- hearing them back to back, there's a similarity there for sure -- I don't know if it is note for note plagarism, but the vibe the music has (at least for that part of it) is very similar.

I think they need to tighten up the statue of limitations on these things though because this should have been decided at least three decades ago.

Can't wait to hear Uncle Joe's breaking news today about the verdict :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
No idea how Plant/Page came across in person. but reports were that Bob Plant took the stand and claimed an auto accident gave him selective amnesia about Led Zeppelin's days touring with Spirit. Leaving it up to James to carry the load for defending their band. Page claimed, either in a pre-trial deposition or maybe on the stand NOT to have heard a note of Spirit's music until the controversy broke a couple years ago. The plaintiff's attorney apparently did discovery on Page's personal record collection and found no less than 5 Spirit albums among various records in Page's personal music collection.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Finally listened to the Spirit song. It’s similar enough to warrant a debate, but I wouldn’t consider it a ripoff. It’s a simple descending chromatic run but they resolve much differently. I’m sure it would not be difficult to find other examples of that run.
Believe me, I’ve always thought of Jimmy Page as a douche, but he didn’t steal this one.

Now….my only complaint is that Zeppelin won this case but Robin Thicke / Pharrell lost to Marvin Gaye? Inconsistent standard.

For the record, I think Zeppelin is overrated and Jimmy Page is a douche.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Page seemed a proper bloke in 'It Might Get Loud'...now The Edge?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line

Nobody?