It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guns N Roses reunion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:45 am 

I thought they played a few shows then scrapped it like Van Halen's reunion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:53 am 

Giddy up.

I wish I could make Coachella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:28 am 

Quote:
Guns N' Roses
Apr 8 - 9
DESCRIPTION
History will be made in April when Guns N’ Roses - featuring the iconic lineup of Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan - regroup for the first time in 23 years on the T-Mobile Arena stage. After announcing that they will headline Coachella, the band has now confirmed the very first place the world can see their historical return will be on the Las Vegas Strip, where they will perform a two-night rock spectacular at the brand new T-Mobile Arena. Guns N’ Roses will perform Friday, April 8 and Saturday, April 9.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Axl now in AC/DC:

http://www.alternativenation.net/axl-ro ... done-deal/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Interesting turn of events...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
So, supposedly Axl will be fronting BOTH GnR and AC/DC on the upcoming GnR tour. AC/DC will be the opening act.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
that is incredibly vocally demanding. If he pulls that off I would have about 10x more respect than I do for him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:58 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
So, supposedly Axl will be fronting BOTH GnR and AC/DC on the upcoming GnR tour. AC/DC will be the opening act.

This show won't begin until at least 3:30 AM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:30 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
that is incredibly vocally demanding. If he pulls that off I would have about 10x more respect than I do for him.

If anyone can pull it off it would be Axl.

Now of course it could all turn into a circus as well.

Hopefully he has matured and sees what a huge payday this will be for him and the boys

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This whole thing is going to be awful. Can't wait for the laughs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:14 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Douchebag wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

This guy gets it.

Singers with high vocal registers do not age well....AT ALL. No shortage of examples, but Robert Plant and Geddy Lee are the most obvious. Add in the scream factor and it's nearly impossible. Brian Johnson's voice sounded great on Back In Black and For those About to Rock....Even at Flick of the Switch you could hear degradation....AND THAT'S IN A STUDIO!.

Giving credit where credit is due, Brian Johnson's voice has held up as good as it possibly could, but it's still pretty trashed. He gets through.

Axl is a trainwreck waiting to happen on a mental level, yet that kind of vocal chord abuse. This will crash and burn quickly.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I'll always maintain Brian's voice was right up there with Plant on Back in Black...the note he hits out of the lead solo in Shake a Leg is absolutely incredible. But him in concert...even Live at Donington, which was back in 1991...he doesn't even try to hit some notes. He was already done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I remember when Razor's Edge came out and they had hits with Thunderstruck and Moneytalks....despite the songs being good, I cringed with the sound of Johnson's vocals. Just awful.

yes, Back in Black is a vocal freak of nature.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Axl broke his foot on the first show of the tour and had to perform both shows in Las Vegas while sitting in a chair with his leg propped up. It's already beginning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
RFDC wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Hopefully he has matured and sees what a huge payday this will be for him and the boys

Huh? Axl couldn't pull off getting an album out in under a decade.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:41 pm 

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
RFDC wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Huh? Axl couldn't pull off getting an album out in under a decade.

That has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
It does because Axl isn't a if anyone can do it type of guy. He is kinda the antithesis of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Kicked off tonight:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHBh-ORDqzn/

http://www.detroitnews.com/picture-gall ... um=twitter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:37 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
I'll see you fags there on July 1st.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:39 am 

Quote:
Not only did the reunited Guns N’ Roses tear through a 24-song, two-and-a-half hour barn burner of a set to kick off its “Not in This Lifetime” tour in front of a hot crowd of 41,000 rock and roll fans at Ford Field on Thursday, but the group opened the concert by showing up on stage two minutes prior to its advertised start time.

Guns N’ Roses, early? Not in this lifetime, indeed.

But there they were, hitting the stage at a very un-GNR-like 9:43 p.m., which is like the middle of the morning for Axl Rose.

Clearly there’s a lot riding on this tour, which pits Rose with core original GNR members Slash and Duff McKagen, and the gesture showed the group is taking business matters seriously and is not going to flame out in the spectacular fashion many are expecting.

Matters of timing aside, Thursday’s thunderous concert showed that in 2016, Guns N’ Roses can still deliver a mighty wallop.

With a setlist that bounced between “Appetite for Destruction” and the “Use Your Illusion” albums (with a few questionable stops at “Chinese Democracy” in between), GNR proved it has some magic left in it, even if the band members’ interpersonal relations are strained to the point where Axl and Duff never discussed that they’d both be wearing “Detroit: Where the Weak Are Killed and Eaten” T-shirts on stage. (They were different styles, at least.)

Squint, and it was the Guns N’ Roses of yore: Axl darting across the stage like he’s trying to up his Fitbit numbers, doing that side-shuffle-in-place move, and looking like a demon serpent while howling into his microphone; Slash, virtually unchanged in appearance from the “Appetite for Destruction” days, ripping solos in a sleeveless black T-shirt, black leather pants, a black top hat and mirrored sunglasses; and Duff, bass slung low (and adorned with a Prince symbol), somehow looking 10 pounds leaner than he did in 1987 and still every bit as cool. Guitarist Richard Fortus, drummer Frank Ferrer, keyboardist Dizzy Reed and keyboardist Melissa Reese rounded out the group.

It did take a while for things to get rolling, and Axl probably could have used a snooze alarm or two ahead of his early call time. It took the frontman several songs to hit his groove on Thursday, and he appeared winded during opener “It’s So Easy,” like he might not make it through the night, let alone the tour.

Turns out he was just easing into the evening: He was better during follow-up “Mr. Brownstone,” and when he shrieked “Do you know where you are?” during an electrifying “Welcome to the Jungle” two songs later, he was fully back in Axl mode.

“Estranged,” one of the pompous epics off of “Use Your Illusion,” was where the full band first started to click, while “You Could Be Mine,” set against a backdrop of pyrotechnics and flames, roared with a seething, snarling, bitter energy. (Introducing it, Axl called it a love song, then bragged “it’s called being facetious” as the song started, like he was locked in a game with himself.)

“Coma,” with Slash rattling off riffs like shotgun blasts, was like a dirty bomb, bringing a sense of danger back to this new version of GNR rather than the theme park ride it threatened to be. Meanwhile, “Out ta Get Me” ended with Axl practically beating his chest, bellowing “take that one to your Detroit heart!” in a moment of triumph.

That Detroit heart was treated to a gritty cover of the Stooges’ “Raw Power” during a solo showcase by Duff, while Slash performed the theme from “The Godfather” as well as an instrumental version of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” (alongside Fortus) to help fill breaks where Axl was off-stage changing up wardrobes. (At one point Axl even swapped out sunglasses, from aviators to wayfarers.)

Axl was playing nice at the beginning of the night but there were glimpses of his old cantankerous self, first when he chastised the food options in the city (“everything here is (expletive) fried,” he said, saying he should invest in vegetable oil in Detroit) and later wondering aloud if the crowd was going to sing “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” with him (“are you gonna help me out, or is it, ‘No, (expletive) you, Axl?’”).

But there were some warm moments as well; during “Sweet Child O’ Mine,” the video screens caught Axl looking over at Slash not like a bandmate or a co-worker but like a fan, in awe of his Godlike guitar skills.

Many in Ford Field felt the same, and seeing Slash back with Guns N’ Roses struck an indelible image. The times where Axl would walk over to Slash and lean on his shoulder were moments many in the audience thought they’d never get the chance to witness; you’ll remember Axl Rose didn’t even bother to show up when the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012. That’s how unlikely a tour like this seemed just a few years ago.

However it was able to happen, it happened. “Do you know where you are?” On Thursday, everyone seemed right where they should be.

Set list:

1. It’s So Easy

2. Mr. Brownstone

3. Chinese Democracy

4. Welcome to the Jungle

5. Double Talkin’ Jive

6. Estranged

7. Live and Let Die

8. Rocket Queen

9. You Could Be Mine

10. Raw Power (Stooges cover with Duff on vocals)

11. This I Love

12. Civil War

13. Coma

14. Theme from ‘The Godfather’ (Slash)

15. Sweet Child O’ Mine

16. Better

17. Out ta Get me

18. Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd cover)

19. November Rain

20. Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

21. Nighttrain

Encore

22. Don’t Cry

23. The Seeker

24. Paradise City

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Was a pretty good show. Was glad the wife bought me tickets. Was my favorite band back in the day but was too young to see them live, being I was in sixth grade for Illusion.

Surprised at how well Axl's voice holds up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:20 am 

Everything I have read and heard about the concerts so far has been good. Had a buddy that went to the KC show.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
WL Bill wrote:
Was a pretty good show. Was glad the wife bought me tickets. Was my favorite band back in the day but was too young to see them live, being I was in sixth grade for Illusion.

Surprised at how well Axl's voice holds up.

Pretty damn good show. Good set list and a pretty much straight on 26 or so songs. No real downtime.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Any truth to the rumor that Carole King is filling in for Axl when he's down in a pasta coma?

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Fucking awesome. Had Floor seats. We partied on my buddy's boat which was docked right next to SF. Bill Wirtz's Boat "BLACKHAWK" was moored a few yards down from us.

I really tied one on - had to sit down during Sweet Child and basically nap-out for a few songs before I got my second wind.

What did me in? Drinking beer on pretty much an empty stomach, and then I started in on the Vodka-Lemonades when we got inside - which were extremely high-powered.

Awesome night, even though at the end of it I was longing for my pillow.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I'm going tomorrow night.
:compress: :cheers: :-D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:32 pm 

What can I say that hasn't already been said?
The show was beyond fucking awesome.
I don't think one person on that stage hit a bum note all night.
AXL ran around like a maniac now that his leg is healed. Izzy's replacement, Richard Fortus,
is a great rhythm gtr player, but I had no idea he could also fucking shred. Duff has always been cool as ice.
Woulda been nice to see Adler or Sorum make a guest appearance, but alas. Frank Ferrer is more than able.
Pretty much the same set listed above. Our original seats were in section 231, which would've been fine,
but because the show was undersold, the 400 section and the 300 below it were completely empty, and everyone was either getting upgraded, or just sat wherever they wanted, and we easily ended up in section 104. Slash's side.
The sound was absolutely perfect. Everyone was on their game, and it was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.
:thumleft: :cheers:

Oh, and Alice In Chains still suck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Do Axl and Slash look like they can stand to be within 5 feet of each other or are they faking it well?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:56 pm 

Well, both of them, (actually all 4) are do so much running around, but there were many side by sides and smiles.
I actually think Axl might have changed for the better. I'm sure as shit that his voice has..
I don't really care if it's genuine reconcilliation, or it's acting for the money.
I saw opening night of the Use Your Illusion tour at Alpine Valley when I was still in high school, so just to
see them "perform" at such a high fucking level once again after 25 years, that's all I can ask.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next