It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen

Quote:
Surprise! Wilco have updated their website with a free download of an unannounced ninth studio album, Star Wars. The 11-track album features all new material and is available for a limited time. No word on a physical release at this time.

Star Wars follows 2014’s compilation album Alpha Mike Foxtrot: Rare Tracks 1994-2014. Last year also saw a release from Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy and son Spencer entitled Sukierae.

While signing up for a free download of Star Wars, Wilco fans can enjoy watching an animated version of the album art’s kitty batting its eyelashes at them.

Wilco headline Pitchfork Music Festival in their hometown of Chicago this Friday, July 16.

I'll have thoughts when I get a chance to listen after dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
I dunno....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I'm not a fan, but decided to give it a shot. Like it so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
http://www.mediafire.com/download/onmbh ... r_wars.zip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:13 pm 

First track sounds like Nels Cline meets Bela Bartok. Okay, whatever, no one will mistake this for Wilco's best opener, but I'd like for a Wilco album to start with a great song and not atonal screeching. Call me old-fashioned.

I guess I have no right to complain, do I? I whined about Sukierae being too sleepy and boring. This is the opposite. Clearly Tweedy was holding this stuff back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Giving it a spin this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
It seemed like a confident but exploratory/transitional album to me upon my initial listen. Didn't love it, didn't hate it.

The new CD did, however, inspire me to listen to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Summerteeth in their entirety for the first time in several years. Both records still sound amazing to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am 

"yankee hotel foxtrot" was the last album i purchased from them. everything after sounded like a blend of those last two albums, and while i didn't intensely dislike anything post "yankee" (not even "a ghost is born"), i didn't like anything enough to buy it. fortunately, this one's free...so maybe i'll download it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Liking it a lot after a few spins. I intended to see them at Pitchfork and then somehow lost track of the date. I only realized when I got home this past Friday towards 8pm and saw the Pitchfork preview in the Trib; with the late hour and the frigging rainforest weather that day, I cut my losses- so a free unannounced Wilco album was a great consolation prize. I figure they'll be around touring behind this album before long.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:04 am 

W_Z wrote:
"yankee hotel foxtrot" was the last album i purchased from them. everything after sounded like a blend of those last two albums, and while i didn't intensely dislike anything post "yankee" (not even "a ghost is born"), i didn't like anything enough to buy it. fortunately, this one's free...so maybe i'll download it.

"Impossible Germany" and "One Sunday Morning" are career highlights right along with the best of Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. "Jesus, etc.", particularly its bridge, is still peak Wilco, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
"Art of Almost" is fantastic live.

I'm Luke Warm on the new album, though it will probably grow with a few more spins.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:18 am 

I'll be honest: between the cover art, the unexpected nature of the release, and the first track, I thought this was Jeff Tweedy fucking with us and making some commentary on the Random Album Drop phenomenon -- his Metal North-Sider Music, if you will. Now I truly know how U2 fans felt when they bought Achtung Baby and thought the processed guitars on "Zoo Station" were a CD scratch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:42 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Curious Hair wrote:
I'll be honest: between the cover art, the unexpected nature of the release, and the first track, I thought this was Jeff Tweedy fucking with us and making some commentary on the Random Album Drop phenomenon -- his Metal North-Sider Music, if you will. Now I truly know how U2 fans felt when they bought Achtung Baby and thought the processed guitars on "Zoo Station" were a CD scratch.

Wait people really thought that about Zoo Station? Do people think Zakk Wylde just has a pig in the band?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
New album, September 9th.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:08 pm 

WILCO needs to stop with the making of new albums. This last year when they toured on Star Wars, they played the entire freaking album to start the show--and then played a real WILCO show (mostly stuff from the 1st 4 albums) after. I'd rather they played more of their catalog than force feed the audience some new stuff that's considerably inferior to their Jay Bennett era albums (which basically goes all the way through A Ghost Is Born, even tho that album is ostensibly post-Bennett), Uncle Tupelo songs and their Billy Bragg and Wilco Woody Guthrie songs.

A classic WILCO concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pY6UPPbVQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:22 pm 

After the new-album smell wore off, I found myself not liking the tossed-off feel of Star Wars that much. I get what they were going for, an antidote to how sleepy and dull Tweedy & Son's solo album, Sue Miller Has Cancer And That Sucks A Lot, was, but in the macro they're both just two sides of one dull coin.

The Whole Love holds up really well, as does Sky Blue Sky, so I'm not closing the door on post-Bennett Wilco entirely. They just need to put the work in, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:04 pm 

Best part of post-Jay Bennett Wilco: Nels Cline/ Glenn Kotche et all re-interpreting/reinvigorating Wilco's back-catalog in the live setting.

Sue Miller Tweedy is almost exactly 10 years older than Tweedy. she'll clock 60 next year; he'll became AARP eligible.
which seems unremarkable in the age of the Rolling Stones perpetual farewell tour and 60 something Danzig reuniting the Misfits