It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Almost anything from Dirt by Alice in Chains, including the obvious, "Junkhead."

The Op asked for "best" songs about heroin, not shitty songs about heroin, AiC sucks ass.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

I speak Latin, too. Te Ipsum. Alice In Chains is/was/and still are a terrible band.

Well argued!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:16 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
DannyB wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE0PeBnyiQ

don't click. dangerous 80's rabbit hole tunage linked in the related videos side-bar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:44 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Needle and the Spoon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:50 am 

Friday - Rebecca Black

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Almost anything from Dirt by Alice in Chains, including the obvious, "Junkhead."

The Op asked for "best" songs about heroin, not shitty songs about heroin, AiC sucks ass.

I speak Latin, too. Te Ipsum. Alice In Chains is/was/and still are a terrible band.

I'm saddened to hear these words. AIC first 2 albums are fucking awesome

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
wdelaney72 wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

I think the thing with AiC, for me, was Layne's voice. Some people hate Billy Corgan's voice. I don't.
I've had the displeasure of seeing AiC twice, once opening for Van Halen like 25 years ago, or whenever FUCK came out,
and just 3 weeks ago opening for G's N' F'N R's, albeit with their new singer. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
I just don't like their songs, except for about 3 or 4. Would?, No Excuses, Them Bones, and I can't think of the other one.
I FUCKING HATE MAN IN THE BOX AND ROOSTER, 2 of the songs that were the most popular. I HATE them.
They played both of them at SF 3 weeks ago, and the most I could do was give a golf clap. While never getting out of my seat. A lot of people contend that they were the best band to come from that era. It's all relative. I think the drummer sucks, the songs seemed to never fucking end, and repetitive and boring as watching paint dry.

P.S. - they're still better than Candlebox. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i did a CTRL+F "lou reed" on both pages and got 0 results. what the fuck is wrong with you guys?

1) lou reed - perfect day (the standard of all heroin songs IMHO, it "just keeps me hanging on" you know? =)

2) nirvana - anuerysm (it's pretty much flagrantly obvious in the first 2-3 lines of the song "comeon over and do the twist / overdo it and have a fit / love you so much it makes me sick")

3) colonel abrams - trapped (i've had ppl argue with me on this, but i'm pretty sure all of the colonel's biggest songs are about heroin. *shrug* check out his other "big" songs called "i'm not gonna let you (get the best of me)" and "how soon we forget" to see what i mean)

btw imagine my !!! when i first saw the vintage schwarzenegger flick "red heat" and they go into the quintessential coked up neon-drenched 80s club and i hear colonel abrams' original version going (cuz the first time i heard this was a boards of canada (hell interface) remix and i didn't hear the original until i saw red heat)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
oh yeah and there's an underground rapper out of LA/cali named cadalack ron who calls himself "the methadone don" so i reckon he's prolly got a few rap songs about heroin (call it a hunch) tho i'm pretty sure at this juncture he's been off for years.. maybe even 5+? it'd likely explain the whole "methadone don" thing --- lamentably idk any of his song titles off the top of my head, i just know he's a good dude to banter with online *shrug* so i'm sure you can look up anything by him and likely trip and stumble into a song about heroin.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Living in the city, we didn't have cable until 1986, so that was one of the few videos I saw in the early 80s. Channel 50 (or Channel 66?) used to play it.

I have a vague recollection of Scott Loftus playing it ironically on the little metal station that could, RPM 103.1 in the 80s. It was the MeTv FM of its time.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
DannyB wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Living in the city, we didn't have cable until 1986, so that was one of the few videos I saw in the early 80s. Channel 50 (or Channel 66?) used to play it.

I have a vague recollection of Scott Loftus playing it ironically on the little metal station that could, RPM 103.1 in the 80s. It was the MeTv FM of its time.

Do you remember the name of Loftus's sidekick?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
sinicalypse wrote:
i did a CTRL+F "lou reed" on both pages and got 0 results. what the fuck is wrong with you guys?

Velvet Underground was mentioned.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Psycory wrote:
Everything on "The Downward Spiral"

I loved listening to that album under the influence of LSD, many moons ago.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
shirtless driver wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

I think the thing with AiC, for me, was Layne's voice. Some people hate Billy Corgan's voice. I don't.
I've had the displeasure of seeing AiC twice, once opening for Van Halen like 25 years ago, or whenever FUCK came out,
and just 3 weeks ago opening for G's N' F'N R's, albeit with their new singer. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
I just don't like their songs, except for about 3 or 4. Would?, No Excuses, Them Bones, and I can't think of the other one.
I FUCKING HATE MAN IN THE BOX AND ROOSTER, 2 of the songs that were the most popular. I HATE them.
They played both of them at SF 3 weeks ago, and the most I could do was give a golf clap. While never getting out of my seat. A lot of people contend that they were the best band to come from that era. It's all relative. I think the drummer sucks, the songs seemed to never fucking end, and repetitive and boring as watching paint dry.

ok, so we'll agree on Candlebox...lol

Great point on Corgan. His voice isn't very good, but for me their music makes me look past that.

I missed AIC live...was supposed to see them open for Ozzy at ISU Redbird Arena, but drunk, pussified, dipshit Ozzie cancelled. In the studio, Layne's voice always sounded great for me....great guitar, great vocal harmonies. to me, AIC was way more important out of Seattle than Nirvana, but I that's just me. I know many disagree.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Do you remember the name of Loftus's sidekick?

I just remembered- Glenn the Phone Man.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
"Hey Jude"

And if you think it's about Julian Lennon then you probably also think "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" isn't about acid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Renaldi's
This is my favorite song about heroin.

Blind Melon- 2X4

https://youtu.be/yXks26pMNQA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Off topic (or is it?) but I heard "The Banana Splits" theme song on 87.7 the other day. To paraphrase, the drummer doesn't know it's a damn show, he thinks it's a damn fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQTq88Ie5sU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
shirtless driver wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

I think it is Jerry who you hate not Layne if you still hate the singing. Really Jerrys harmony was about 60% of all the singing and that is why most people think they sound the same. That being said you may really hate Mad Season and I can't blame Jerry there.

I also loathe rooster and man in the box but I am rather fond of everything else. The last two albums I would say have some of the best recorded sound of rock drums. The playing is fine nothing great but damn the recording is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
DannyB wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Good old VVX, heavy metal out of Highland Park. Also briefly the Jammin' Oldies station before that format got driven into the ground.