It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
...and what is wanted is an honest critic of this fine Kinks Album.

I flitted back my HS days and this album popped into my head. Googled it and stumbled onto this review. I was interested in your take on the album/review and Kinks in general. He makes some references to the Punk scene and I thought your feedback on the subject would be interesting. I was a huge Kinks fan. Never looked at them as described here.

http://www.classicrockreview.com/2011/03/1981-kinks-give-the-people/

I have seen comments from other posters on the scene, please join in. Keep the negative Kinks talk to a minimum unless you want boyd going all boyd on you. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
I was always a Kinks fan. The early stuff is real punk rock. "You Really Got Me", that's truly proto-punk. And then you have the stuff like Village Green. Is there a more beautiful song than "Waterloo Sunset"?

The Kinks were really kind of a thing of the past when I first became a record buyer. Then they put out that live record and had a little renaissance. That live version of "Lola" got played all the time on The Loop and WMET. I think the first Kinks record that I ever bought in its own time was Low Budget. I really thought that was a great record. I didn't like Give The People quite as much at the time but I came to like it more later. Both of those albums were definitely dark and of the times.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Thanks. I just really liked the music. Didn't put a label on them at the time, and didn't see a need categorizing later.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset

This was really my introduction to the Kinks. This live album is spectacular! I saw them at the Auditorium Theatre back in the 80s from the first row of the balcony...Such a great show!

I've seen Ray on multiple occasions doing his one man act...the XRay tour was pretty cool as he read from his "unauthorized autobiography" and sprinkled in bits and pieces of historic Kinks music.

As much as I love the Who, Beatles and Stones, Ray Davies and the Kinks are right up there. Man can he write great music.