It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Did you have the day off work?
Yes 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
No 74%  74%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Quote:
this thread has turned into a circle jerk.

Well someone missed me, because I'm feeling completely unsatisfied!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Nas wrote:
IMO that's only if you believe holidays and months for minorities shouldn't exist.

OMG! yes thats exactly his point. in fact, only the blacks and the jews should work on memorial day from here on out!!

im going to the airport.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:00 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why do we only get to talk about Martin Luther King's birthday once a year? We should be able to talk about it year round.

Because we are all fucking idiots.

IMO that's only if you believe holidays and months for minorities shouldn't exist.

I'll just say this...I don't get it, and I never will...now, let's go watch the midget fight the fat kid...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
FWIW, Morgan Freeman has always come across as very intelligent in the interviews I have seen him in, and here is his take

NEW YORK - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

Well I can find a famous person to probably agree with me on everything. That doesn't mean it is right.

Doesnt mean hes wrong Nas. Theres plenty of people of all races that believe the same way he does. Get over the fact that people disagree with you, just because they dont agree doesnt mean they are stupid, ignorant, or racist(Is Freeman all of those?)

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
W_Z wrote:
I think it's a shame that it's only a month that you'll hear the names of George Edward Alcorn or Andrew Jackson Beard. And while a lot of the names are obscure, and most inventors are, there's no need to only mention them in the month of February in science class--they should be mentioned with all the other inventors.

But I don't know that it'll ever change.

Thank you for being open-minded Zack. I think that's what Nas and I are trying to say.

Many might not like the idea of a month dedicated to awareness of a group's achievements but unfortunately America refuses to acknowledge those achievements outside of the designated month.

What originally offended me in this thread was Thug's outright condemnation of the concept and his ignorant comments about whites contributing more bloodshed to this country. He tried to take the thread in a "black vs. white" direction and I have a serious problem with people who think like that - no matter what their race is (there are racist blacks that offend me just the same).

It's fine if people think it's lame or unnecessary, but why not just ignore it altogether instead of protesting its very existence and bitching about it? I don't have a problem with the existence of a Polish American history month or a Hispanic American history month, despite being neither Polish nor Hispanic.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Last edited by The Original Kid Cairo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:18 pm 

Nas wrote:
I never said that they were racist. I don't care if you disagree with me or not. For those who have been around this board for a while that is common knowledge that my views are usually in the minority. You don't get 13k posts with people agreeing with you. It's very ignorant of people to make comments about things they don't and could never understand. I couldn't tell Jewish people how they should feel about the Holocaust so I don't want anyone telling me how I should feel about slavery or black history. If you can’t understand that then there is nothing I can do to help you.

That wasn't meant for me was it?

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:20 pm 

Nas wrote:
I never said that they were racist. I don't care if you disagree with me or not. For those who have been around this board for a while that is common knowledge that my views are usually in the minority. You don't get 13k posts with people agreeing with you. It's very ignorant of people to make comments about things they don't and could never understand. I couldn't tell Jewish people how they should feel about the Holocaust so I don't want anyone telling me how I should feel about slavery or black history. If you can’t understand that then there is nothing I can do to help you.

You arent getting my point, again. Noone is telling you how to feel about it, you are telling other people how they should feel about it. Morgan Freeman disagrees with you, so are you going to tell him how he should feel about it? Im not black and I dont know how you feel about it, and I have made it clear that I wish we were mature enough as a society to be able to equally include all the greatest assets from each culture into our educational facilities, I recognize they dont do a good job of that and therefore I have absolutely no problem with a black history month.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
I understand, but do not necessarily agree with both points of view on the minority month/week/day celebration debate. My belief is that it is important b/c you do learn something, if you allow yourself to do so. In fact thanks to Black History Month, I read one of my favorite books for Junior Year English class, Ellison's Invisible Man. This was a book that I had never would have picked up otherwise. And the lesson sticks with me today, when I pick texts for courses I try to avoid the DWG approach (Dead White Guy) so that there is a more diverse perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:24 pm 

Nas wrote:
What are you talking about? I've never told anyone how they should feel. I've stated my opinion just like the rest of you. Nothing more nothing less. If you don't like my opinion or think I'm being an asshole I really don't give a shit. I'm sure you and everyone else probably feel the same way.

No I dont think you're being an asshole.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:25 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
What are you talking about? I've never told anyone how they should feel. I've stated my opinion just like the rest of you. Nothing more nothing less. If you don't like my opinion or think I'm being an asshole I really don't give a shit. I'm sure you and everyone else probably feel the same way.

No I dont think you're being an asshole.

I do, I do!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:27 pm 

Quote:
Thank you too. Just in case you missed it I don't give a shit.

No, I noticed that right away. And you are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:28 pm 

Uh..this is turning into a circle jerk. Hopefully not all your resolutions fail this bad Nas.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:32 pm 

Home5licE wrote:
Ok, seriously, if I read "in my opinion" one more time, I'm going to drive to Wisconsin...whatever that means...

I wouldn't do that in my opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm 

The point of months like this are to raise awareness. There are probably 1000 of them out there.

September is National Potato Month.
December is Aids Awareness Month.

We have boss's day, secretary's day, mother's day, father's day, veteran's day, talk like a pirate day, system's administrator's day, and a thousand others.

We have little car magnet ribbons in all colors of the rainbow, including a rainbow colored one.

It's really just a way for people to get a certain message out and let people think about something they wouldn't normally think of.

I never have had a problem with any of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I tend to agree with Morgan Freeman's views but have no problem celebrating the life of a man who dedicated his life to ending segregation and discrimination through non-violent acts. Just as any other man or woman should be celebrated for their actions for the ways in which they tried to reach equality for any and all Americans.

I had a confrontation with the crazed woman who my husband calls mom. She was born in Poland and was pushing her heritage on my children this weekend. My husband feels no strong ties to Poland. I feel I am an American and so are my children.

My beef with people are who like to claim their positive views on their ancestory and have a ton of pride but could not pick their flag or a person importance out of a line up. If you know your shit and truly identify with it, I say more power to you. If you can't then shut the f up and live your life without throwing it in the face of others and acting as if you are an ambassador of that country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:42 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I tend to agree with Morgan Freeman's views but have no problem celebrating the life of a man who dedicated his life to ending segregation and discrimination through non-violent acts. Just as any other man or woman should be celebrated for their actions for the ways in which they tried to reach equality for any and all Americans.

I had a confrontation with the crazed woman who my husband calls mom. She was born in Poland and was pushing her heritage on my children this weekend. My husband feels no strong ties to Poland. I feel I am an American and so are my children.

My beef with people are who like to claim their positive views on their ancestory and have a ton of pride but could not pick their flag or a person importance out of a line up. If you know your shit and truly identify with it, I say more power to you. If you can't then shut the f up and live your life without throwing it in the face of others and acting as if you are an ambassador of that country.

I agree with this 100% and what I was saying earlier mainly was about black history month. In the case of MLK day I think its as deserving as any other holiday in our calendar.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:43 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I agree with this 100% and what I was saying earlier mainly was about black history month. In the case of MLK day I think its as deserving as any other holiday in our calendar.

So you think your husband's mom is a crazed woman also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:44 pm 

Nice :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

So you think your husband's mom is a crazed woman also?

:lol:

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:47 pm 

All I have to say is:

What do Joe Morgan and Bryant Gumbel think about all this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

What was your Polish mother-in-law trying to push on the kids? Teaching them how to bake chruschici (polish cookies)? Making them eat pierogies and beet soup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sorry Nas. I'll get it back on track.

Black white black white black white black white.

Ok. Carry on from there. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:59 pm 

I think it is an important part of American history and should be incorporated into the cirriculum. The civil rights movement took place 40 years ago. That is fairly recent and there were laws in place that minimized contributions to society. There are still barriers.

I love history. Just curious, Nas, what do you think should be taught?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
In Evanston, an afro-centric curriculum is being pushed. The result has been to segregate classrooms and schools. The white kids have their "normal" studies and the black kids get the afro-centric studies.

I wonder if they study Brown v B.O.E. Topeka, KS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:06 pm 

Killer V wrote:
In Evanston, an afro-centric curriculum is being pushed. The result has been to segregate classrooms and schools. The white kids have their "normal" studies and the black kids get the afro-centric studies.

Damn, that's pretty ironic. And counter-productive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

That's the right message to send the kids. White kids in this room to learn about George Washington. Black kids in this room to learn about Malcom X.

Wow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:10 pm 

Somebody made a comment how my daughter has changed a lot in the last month. She has my eyes and nose but looks more like my husband. Which thrills her cuz she has a bug up her ass about my son being a spitting image of me. Then she went all Polish on our ass. I said my kids are American.

She also tries every C & E to get me to eat this awful kapusta stuff. It more or less smells like armpit and tastes like feet. I've almost said on more than 1 occasion the only Polish sausage I want in my mouth is the one that hangs between my husband's legs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:12 pm 

Quote:
Killer V wrote:

Damn, that's pretty ironic. And counter-productive

Really. They should just have seperate schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:12 pm 

Beardown wrote:
That's the right message to send the kids. White kids in this room to learn about George Washington. Black kids in this room to learn about Malcom X.

Wow.

Agreed. I thought it was 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:13 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
the only Polish sausage I want in my mouth is the one that hangs between my husband's legs.

:(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next