It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nevermind Turns 25 Today
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
I know that hipsters are too cool for them, but I still listen to it all the time.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... ow-w441220

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
One of my absolute all time favorite albums.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Don't like it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
I'm sorry you are old.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:15 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Don't like it.

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:34 pm 

Well, Doolittle is way better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:17 pm 

"doolittle" turned 25 2 years ago. remember all the hubbub we heard about that one?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Don't like it.

+1. Nirvana sucks

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:56 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

Ignore the rest of these ignant mafuckers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm 

Nirvana certainly had a few good singles, but the way modern rock never got over Kurt Cobain's death, elevating Pearl Jam far above their station and letting the Foo Fighters exist at all as if to replace him, virtually nullifies how good the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" riffs are.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
A great album. Yet, I harbor a certain ambivalence towards Nirvana. They were probably my favorite band as a ute, but in my adulthood I can't help but feel that other bands from the same scene were better. I'd take Soundgarden over Nirvana any day. The tragedy of Kurt Cobain was that he didn't really want success yet it was thrust upon him. He hated "Smells Like Teen Spirit" yet it was all that (most) people wanted to hear. He was overrated and he knew it.

Still, listening to the album, I can't deny its nostalgia. Nevermind really is a seminal record.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:07 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Fucking millenials

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:09 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Fucking millenials

Possibly the only good thing about Millenials is they seem to know that Nirvana is overrated garbage that like Kong said was surpassed by many of their contemporaries.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 pm 

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:22 pm 

Gentlemen, Black Love, and 1965 all wipe -- no, powerwash -- the floor with Nirvana's albums. "I'm crazy about you, I'm crazy without you" cuts to the core better than any of Kurt's moon/spoon/June spiral notebook poetry.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Gentlemen, Black Love, and 1965 all wipe -- no, powerwash -- the floor with Nirvana's albums. "I'm crazy about you, I'm crazy without you" cuts to the core better than any of Kurt's moon/spoon/June spiral notebook poetry.

There's no point in arguing over taste, that's for sure. For instance, there are many, many people who argue that Neal Peart is one of the best writers of lyrics there is.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
Nirvana certainly had a few good singles, but the way modern rock never got over Kurt Cobain's death, elevating Pearl Jam far above their station and letting the Foo Fighters exist at all as if to replace him, virtually nullifies how good the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" riffs are.

The were the Led Zeppelin of their era, by which I mean they lifted riffs from lesser known contemporaries or near-contemporaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:19 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

The were the Led Zeppelin of their era, by which I mean they lifted riffs from lesser known contemporaries or near-contemporaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

Funny, I thought they stole it from the Damned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RmMry47MCg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:

wow man i totally cosign the pearl jam and foo fighters stuff there. and to be honest i got really sick of smells like teen spirit, even during my "nirvana phase" circa age 13-14 when i latched onto a friend's nirvana love trying to fit in and usurp some sort of culture/music into my life (up until that "nirvana phase" my CD collection consisted of "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" "The Simpsons Sing the Blues" and then like 2-3 Def Leppard albums that my uncle bought me for a birthday once because out of all of the 80s cock rock / hair metal stuff that my dad would play ad infinitum i thought def leppard was the best of the lot, so pyromania (one of the best LP covers ever) hysteria and adrenalize (ick. tho remember that video with the CGI kid? that was ok i guess?)

AHEM. yeah smells like teen spirit just got wayyyy too overplayed, tho come as you are had that a4menentioned riff and i'd take in bloom and lithium over anything else on there. even tho in utero was always considered a far better album (artistically/musically/hipsterifically at least) i dug those tracks on nevermind more cuz it just had a quintessential "time and a place in pop/culture" feel to them. especially after kurdt kobane died.

but yeah i could really do without pearl jam and/or foo fighters in my life. go figure dave grohl ended up carrying the torch in the post-nirvana era while krist novoselic by and large fucked off.... he must just occasionally jam with some smaller/indie bands while being set for life off of nirvana royalties, huh? does anyone know of anything novoselic did post-nirvana?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
sinicalypse wrote:
AHEM. yeah smells like teen spirit just got wayyyy too overplayed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:13 pm 

btw i'd be remiss if i didnt mention that hearing anything off of nevermind (save smells like teen spirit, ironically enough) literally overwhelms me with this nostalgic feeling that takes me back to the early-mid 90s. i think moreso than just about any other album i can think of (in my lifetime) nevermind is one of those "time and a place" albums that takes you back...

...you know, just like hearing that offspring song where the dude goes WHOOOOAAA LADY WHOAAAA OHHH OHH OHH and talks about how the chick sleeps with his friends / "the more you suffer the more it shows you really care" takes me back to mid-90s q101 like no other. and rosy colored glasses seriously have me wishing for a heaven so someday i can go back to one of those mid-90s saturday nights and hear taht stuff on the radio and then get ready for local long distance fucking off at 9pm so i could start calling up all my dialup BBSes with the alternative beat (later "industrial zone") on q101, waiting with bated breath for the final hour where zoltar (the brother from another planet) would play the "deep cuts" right around the time JBTV came on channel 26. still prolly my favorite time/place of my life (someone cue up the green day!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
AHEM. yeah smells like teen spirit just got wayyyy too overplayed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94

oh yeah if i was a little bit older to where mid-90s q101 wasn't in my wheelhouse i reckon that song would be way the fuck up there.

actually tbh by the time i was in that q101 wheelhouse smells like teen spirit died down as the #1 overplayed song of all time and got replaced by something that definitely outdoes that offspring song in taking you back to "a time and a place" re: mid-90s q101

seriously anyone around my age (~35) no doubt remembers a time when you couldn't go more than like 30-45mins without hearing this song on the radio. if any song picked up the #1 overplayed song title from smells like teen spirit it was this one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:01 pm 

I just found out Q101 is doing a classic alternative show on Sunday mornings, 10 to noon. The range seems to be late '80s to mid-'90s, which not coincidentally was arguably the station's heyday. (The Current has a similar premise for a weekend specialty show called "Teenage Kicks.") They've also been doing longform electronic stuff on Saturday overnights; how close it is to Zoltar's show, you'd have to tell me.

All that being said, their imaging is still the cringe-iest fellow-kids crap on the entire radio dial. I'd think they were doing parody if I thought Cumulus had it in them to do parody, but no, I think it's indeed a 100-percent-irony-free package of how men in their mid-forties think 19-year-olds talk.

Playlist from last Sunday (today's isn't up yet): Bjork, the Smiths, Pumpkins, Talking Heads, my kind of show! And "Alex Chilton" is one of my favorite songs of all time. There's a U2 B-side off October in there. October! That's deeper than deep. The album cuts themselves don't even get play.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:10 pm 

CH, what's lost on you is that "nevermind" became a revolution through radio play and mainstream success. prior to that, nirvana was just another sub pop grunge band that was wading around the seattle area like so many other bands. they came up with an infectious song that changed the way radio stations were playing music. that's why "nevermind" is revered. it's not nirvana's best album, even cobain i think would've admitted that, and nirvana wasn't around long enough to establish themselves as a great band. they were going in the right direction with "in utero" and i liked them adding in pat smear.

radio stations were still playing hair band music and soft rock, and then by 1993 you heard sound garden, primus, pearl jam, and stp all over the place. i'm pretty sure that wouldn't have happened without "nevermind". there are definitely better examples of the seattle sound and better songwriters out there, but what "nevermind" did was pretty significant.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
The Lithium channel on XM replayed a town hall forum with Grohl, Novoseliic and the producer of the album from 5 years ago. It was a pretty good listen. If you haven't heard the "smells Like Teen Spirit" demo you should. They also talked about hoe the album was kind of the last great phenomenon that was built without the benefit of the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:12 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Curious Hair wrote:

Everything about Dulli's writing is better but I am a fanboy.

Rock n Roll though is a lot about the look and attitude. They had it and it was right. Honestly I can't stomach much of never mind. It is dated and harsh to me but I like bleach and in utero still. Also the unplugged album was a great performance. It also paved the way for the best unplugged ever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:45 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Rock n Roll though is a lot about the look and attitude. They had it and it was right. Honestly I can't stomach much of never mind. It is dated and harsh to me but I like bleach and in utero still. Also the unplugged album was a great performance. It also paved the way for the best unplugged ever.

This is exactly right. Nirvana had that "IT" factor. And timing is important too. Of course the guitarists in Pearl Jam can play "better" than Cobain, but that isn't the point. "Teen Spirit" is an important song. Even if it is just a rip of "More Than A Feeling." And Nirvana is an important band. The Afghan Whigs are a band. Maybe you like them, maybe you don't. But they just don't carry the weight that Nirvana did. I will say that I saw them at Riot Fest last year or the year before and they were just fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:45 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

This is exactly right. Nirvana had that "IT" factor. And timing is important too. Of course the guitarists in Pearl Jam can play "better" than Cobain, but that isn't the point. "Teen Spirit" is an important song. Even if it is just a rip of "More Than A Feeling." And Nirvana is an important band. The Afghan Whigs are a band. Maybe you like them, maybe you don't. But they just don't carry the weight that Nirvana did. I will say that I saw them at Riot Fest last year or the year before and they were just fucking awesome.

Nirvana was excellent live. I know some people bristle when the "punk" label is attached to them, but they were loud like a punk band and, frankly, the talent level was more akin to a punk band (particularly with Cobain's slash style of play). Look, the Ramones didn't have too much talent, but they were great live (I saw 'em when they were old) and good songwriters.

Not sure who in their era was better songwriters, though. I absolutely love Soundgarden, but they sure weren't better songwriters. Better musicians, yes. Better in concert? Not a chance.

Timing/kairos is a major part of everyone's success, and Nirvana had it. They got lucky, but they also positioned themselves (consciously or not) to speak to a hell of a lot of people--probably none more important than critics.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:57 am 

I always felt like I should like Nirvana more than I did because everyone was telling me how great they were. They were and still are just OK in my eyes . Love me some In Bloom though.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
You can keep Nevermind. The unplugged album remains one of the best of all time and its not surprising that the best songs from the album aren't Nirvana songs at all.