It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Stairway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Making news today is that Jimmy Page's solo in Stairway was voted best of all-time, even though Page said it wasn't his best. And that's just considering the studio version. His live versions from '73 and '75 were even better (and longer). I've listened to most of them. My personal favorite is the one from Vancouver '73. After that, I'd put Earl's Court 5/18/75, Seattle '75 (2nd show), Indianapolis '75 and LA '75 (1st night).

Comfortably Numb by Gilmore came in second. Hendrix was 5th with "Along the Watchtower". Skinard was 3rd or 4th with Free Bird, but I'm not a big fan. I'd put Clapton's solo in "White Room" before that.

Post subject: Re: No Stairway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Dignified Rube wrote:
Making news today is that Jimmy Page's solo in Stairway was voted best of all-time, even though Page said it wasn't his best. And that's just considering the studio version. His live versions from '73 and '75 were even better (and longer). I've listened to most of them. My personal favorite is the one from Vancouver '73. After that, I'd put Earl's Court 5/18/75, Seattle '75 (2nd show), Indianapolis '75 and LA '75 (1st night).

Comfortably Numb by Gilmore came in second. Hendrix was 5th with "Along the Watchtower". Skinard was 3rd or 4th with Free Bird, but I'm not a big fan. I'd put Clapton's solo in "White Room" before that.

How about the last two minutes of "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I can name 100 guitar solos that are better but I don't feel like it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:14 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:

You could name them, but still wouldn't be right.

There's none better than Page's live versions of Stairway. None compares to their lyrical and dramatic quality. Improvisational virtuosity of the highest order.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

How about the last two minutes of "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?"

Don't know that one, but I'll give it a listen tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
My vote is for a solo that was done in two parts, the first by Jeff Watson, and the second by Brad Gillis:

Don't Tell Me You Love Me (Night Ranger)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3IFVQhTqq4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Kirk Hammet's on "One" has to be on the list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

There's none better than Page's live versions of Stairway. None compares to their lyrical and dramatic quality. Improvisational virtuosity of the highest order.

Way too sloppy of a guitarist live.

He had a good feel and emotion for the music and the guitar but he wasn't really that good at playing it.

There's been tons of guitarists since then who blow him away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hockey Gay wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

He had a good feel and emotion for the music and the guitar but he wasn't really that good at playing it.

Gay has struck the nail on the head. Page while great is one of those "legends" that can never be taken down a notch even though many may be better. There are several such "legends" and they were usually crowned as such by baby boomers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
pittmike wrote:

Gay has struck the nail on the head. Page while great is one of those "legends" that can never be taken down a notch even though many may be better. There are several such "legends" and they were usually crowned as such by baby boomers.

Add that to the list of shit that baby boomers have fucked up and ruined for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Well? Name some.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
If I neveer hear Stairway again I would feel no loss. Over rated and over played.
Beter solo? Hmmm
Prince, Let's go Crazy or When Doves Cry.
Edge Sunday Bloody Sunday.
Bob Mould See a Little Light
Eddie Van Halen, Bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
chaspoppcap wrote:
If I neveer hear Stairway again I would feel no loss. Over rated and over played.
Beter solo? Hmmm
Prince, Let's go Crazy or When Doves Cry.
Eddie Van Halen, Bad.

Wanna try that last one again?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:20 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Truths spoken above.

Last edited by Minooka Meatball on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
chaspoppcap wrote:

Good song.

Meh solo...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:24 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:

Oh, and this? :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
sjboyd0137 wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

Good song.

Meh solo...

I was going to say Paralyzed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
What is with the lack of hipster music opinions? Jay Graydon's solo in Steely Dan's "Peg."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Regarding Comfortably Numb, I think the solo after the first chorus is vastly superior to the one at the end (not sure if this poll made a distinction).

GNR's November Rain is similar in that the first solo is best (and unfortunately cut out on the radio edit).

Last edited by Jaw Breaker on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:45 pm 

Not solos, guitarists. Aside from the riffs he culturally appropriated from the bluesmen, Page probably has 50 others that he created and that are permanently tattooed inside the brains of over a billion people worldwide. He alone is probably 10-15% of the reason Rock is Dead.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Dignified Rube wrote:

You would have a better chance to prove the existence of god, than prove that one solo is better than another.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:25 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
If I never hear Stairway again I would feel no loss. Over rated and over played.

I used to feel that way. Then I didn't listen to any of the radio Zeppelin songs for maybe twenty years, and now I can listen to them again.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Franky T wrote:
Kirk Hammet's on "One" has to be on the list.

If it is then it is not a good list. Sorry Hammett is a middling guitarist. From that era you can pick out way better solos pretty much everything Marty Friedman did. It's not even Hammett best solo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:49 am 
Site Admin

It's pretty crazy to talk about the "best" guitar solo. There are so many great ones out there. I guess if you put a gun to my head I'd go with Keith on the Ya-Ya's version of "Sympathy".

My boy, Bill can play the gee-tar like a motherfuckin' riot. Years ago some beer brand held a contest at Metro called "Chicago's Hottest Guitarist" or some shit like that. Bill signed up for this thing. I think there was some prize money and maybe free beer. Every goof in there was aping Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Motherfucker or Eddie V. You can't find many guitarists from my generation who aren't constantly playing with both hands on the neck. Well, Bill went in there and played with no effects, no distortion, just his shitty Tele copy through the amp. At first people didn't know what to make of it. It was like they had never heard what an actual guitar sounds like or something. But he won the crowd over. He didn't win the contest though. That went to some metalhead who was probably from Schaumburg.

Being punk rockers at heart, soloing is antithetical to the ethic. It was generally considered naked rock star posturing usually without actually serving the song. If we were gonna take one we were looking for economy. When we soundchecked this song at before opening for Buddy Guy at Legends, Buddy sent one of his flunkies down to kill half the house PA on us. Bill scared the shit out of old Buddy. The solo starts about 50 seconds in: https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... p-the-wild

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:06 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's pretty crazy to talk about the "best" guitar solo. There are so many great ones out there.

There is little as cringe worthy as another stupid list from Rolling Stone featuring the top 100 bands, albums, guitarists, solos, songs, etc. It's so fucking ridiculous when the lists change over the years. How did a dead guitarist get better or worse than he used to be? How does one dead guitarist pass another on the list?

Art is subjective. You like it, or you don't. My brother-in-law is the worst when it comes to this. He likes to tell me that a movie or a TV show or a band is "considered to be the best". Considered to be the best? By whom? Any idiot with internet access can start a blog, and share their terrible opinions with the world.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's pretty crazy to talk about the "best" guitar solo. There are so many great ones out there. I guess if you put a gun to my head I'd go with Keith on the Ya-Ya's version of "Sympathy".

My boy, Bill can play the gee-tar like a motherfuckin' riot. Years ago some beer brand held a contest at Metro called "Chicago's Hottest Guitarist" or some shit like that. Bill signed up for this thing. I think there was some prize money and maybe free beer. Every goof in there was aping Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Motherfucker or Eddie V. You can't find many guitarists from my generation who aren't constantly playing with both hands on the neck. Well, Bill went in there and played with no effects, no distortion, just his shitty Tele copy through the amp. At first people didn't know what to make of it. It was like they had never heard what an actual guitar sounds like or something. But he won the crowd over. He didn't win the contest though. That went to some metalhead who was probably from Schaumburg.

Being punk rockers at heart, soloing is antithetical to the ethic. It was generally considered naked rock star posturing usually without actually serving the song. If we were gonna take one we were looking for economy. When we soundchecked this song at before opening for Buddy Guy at Legends, Buddy sent one of his flunkies down to kill half the house PA on us. Bill scared the shit out of old Buddy. The solo starts about 50 seconds in: https://soundcloud.com/joe-orr-road-rod ... p-the-wild

Yngwie jesus what a tard that guy is. Now granted he is amazing at guitar and music in general. He knows more than I ever will but all it translates with him is pure ego. Not the cool swagger type ego just the intolerable type. You play nothing that I would ever willingly listen to.

Mayor problem with guitar gods. Too many notes. Eruption is complete shit, although Eddie wrote lots of memorable hooks. Blah blah blah

Chus nailed it though no way to make a list like this. What does it matter. My guy is better than your guy so I'm better?? Pretty school yard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:40 pm 

I am generally down with the democratic nature of the "punk ethic." But I'm troubled by the fact that it's code for "no talent, no work ethic." There's an underlying assumption that one could play like Page and chose not to. Couldn't be further from the truth. They couldn't have dreamt a more distant dream.*

*Lyrics by DannyB

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:42 pm 

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yngwie jesus what a tard that guy is. Now granted he is amazing at guitar and music in general. He knows more than I ever will but all it translates with him is pure ego. Not the cool swagger type ego just the intolerable type. You play nothing that I would ever willingly listen to.

Mayor problem with guitar gods. Too many notes. Eruption is complete shit, although Eddie wrote lots of memorable hooks. Blah blah blah

Chus nailed it though no way to make a list like this. What does it matter. My guy is better than your guy so I'm better?? Pretty school yard

What's funny about Yngwie is that he was unable to maintain the skeletal Rock Star Look like Steve Vai and others have. Fat Yngwie is Sad Yngwie.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Great av, Rube. :salut:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:02 am 
Site Admin

DannyB wrote:
I am generally down with the democratic nature of the "punk ethic." But I'm troubled by the fact that it's code for "no talent, no work ethic." There's an underlying assumption that one could play like Page and chose not to. Couldn't be further from the truth. They couldn't have dreamt a more distant dream.

You can't fake the immediacy and spirit of a true punk/garage band. That's why a punk band has such a short shelf life. It's an interesting phenomenon. Once the players have the ability to play more, they inevitably want to do so. At that point it is no longer a punk band, but rather just a less talented bunch of guys attempting to play like Jimmy Page or Eddie Van Halen, and most often failing. The other option -which is just as bad, possibly worse- is to just keep recording the same song over and over again for years on end.