It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: No Stairway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
I am generally down with the democratic nature of the "punk ethic." But I'm troubled by the fact that it's code for "no talent, no work ethic." There's an underlying assumption that one could play like Page and chose not to. Couldn't be further from the truth. They couldn't have dreamt a more distant dream.

You can't fake the immediacy and spirit of a true punk/garage band. That's why a punk band has such a short shelf life. It's an interesting phenomenon. Once the players have the ability to play more, they inevitably want to do so. At that point it is no longer a punk band, but rather just a less talented bunch of guys attempting to play like Jimmy Page or Eddie Van Halen, and most often failing. The other option -which is just as bad, possibly worse- is to just keep recording the same song over and over again for years on end.

Or you evolve like fugazi did. They are the outlier though. Sometimes a band gets really good and the front man was more suited for punk though. Rollins Band is a prime example one hell of a band but Hank can't really go beyond My War so it kinda worked but not really.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:37 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:
I am generally down with the democratic nature of the "punk ethic." But I'm troubled by the fact that it's code for "no talent, no work ethic." There's an underlying assumption that one could play like Page and chose not to. Couldn't be further from the truth. They couldn't have dreamt a more distant dream.

You can't fake the immediacy and spirit of a true punk/garage band. That's why a punk band has such a short shelf life. It's an interesting phenomenon. Once the players have the ability to play more, they inevitably want to do so. At that point it is no longer a punk band, but rather just a less talented bunch of guys attempting to play like Jimmy Page or Eddie Van Halen, and most often failing. The other option -which is just as bad, possibly worse- is to just keep recording the same song over and over again for years on end.

Or you evolve like fugazi did. They are the outlier though. Sometimes a band gets really good and the front man was more suited for punk though. Rollins Band is a prime example one hell of a band but Hank can't really go beyond My War so it kinda worked but not really.

Yeah, but I'd still say the best thing Fugazi ever did was that first EP. The Rollins Band is full of competent players but they're nothing more than a generic rock/metal band. (See their rote cover of "Four Sticks".)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Bonham's drum sound is the best thing about the song.

His snare is perfect.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Regarding Comfortably Numb, I think the solo after the first chorus is vastly superior to the one at the end (not sure if this poll made a distinction).

GNR's November Rain is similar in that the first solo is best (and unfortunately cut out on the radio edit).

Agree with this. Gilmour is a better guitarist than Page, in my opinion, of course.

Also, Marty Friedman is a better axe man then Hammett.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:02 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Yeah, but I'd still say the best thing Fugazi ever did was that first EP. The Rollins Band is full of competent players but they're nothing more than a generic rock/metal band. (See their rote cover of "Four Sticks".)

I think we are speaking the same language. I agree I liked fugazi less with every release not because it was bad just wasn't awesome. Musically way better though. That being said I am still a fan of Rites more than fugazi.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
SomeGuy wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Regarding Comfortably Numb, I think the solo after the first chorus is vastly superior to the one at the end (not sure if this poll made a distinction).

GNR's November Rain is similar in that the first solo is best (and unfortunately cut out on the radio edit).

Agree with this. Gilmour is a better guitarist than Page, in my opinion, of course.

Agreed on both Gilmour and Friedman. Hammett, though, has some great moments. I think his solo on Master Of Puppets is his best. He sprays to all fields on that one and the way he ends it is fucking perfect.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:30 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Agreed on both Gilmour and Friedman. Hammett, though, has some great moments. I think his solo on Master Of Puppets is his best. He sprays to all fields on that one and the way he ends it is fucking perfect.

Master is fucking great. That song is also the perfect metal song stereotype. Friedman is just one of the best solo writers IMHO. He uses the most interesting phrases

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Hockey Gay wrote:
Way too sloppy of a guitarist live.

He had a good feel and emotion for the music and the guitar but he wasn't really that good at playing it.

There's been tons of guitarists since then who blow him away.

You hear this all the time about Page by people who really don't know his music---"Oh, he was a sloppy guitarist." I disagree with the generalization. I think Page's playing was brilliant until 1975, but by 1977 it had started to go downhill. Plant's singing was no good after 1973, so the whole band lost their form after that.

How can you say he wasn't good at playing guitar? He was the most sought after session-guitarist in all of England before he joined the Yardbirds. Page is praised for mastering different musical styles, from the Blues and Rock to Folk, with many songs played in different tunings. Most guitarists don't play in anything but the standard tuning.

Just because a guitarist can play fast, doesn't make him good. Hammett has been mentioned in this thread, but I think Masters of the Puppets is just noise. All heavy metal sucks because it has no melodies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
He was pretty good at Knebworth.

And he was brilliant at the O2

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
Way too sloppy of a guitarist live.

He had a good feel and emotion for the music and the guitar but he wasn't really that good at playing it.

There's been tons of guitarists since then who blow him away.

You hear this all the time about Page by people who really don't know his music---"Oh, he was a sloppy guitarist." I disagree with the generalization. I think Page's playing was brilliant until 1975, but by 1977 it had started to go downhill. Plant's singing was no good after 1973, so the whole band lost their form after that.

How can you say he wasn't good at playing guitar? He was the most sought after session-guitarist in all of England before he joined the Yardbirds. Page is praised for mastering different musical styles, from the Blues and Rock to Folk, with many songs played in different tunings. Most guitarists don't play in anything but the standard tuning.

Just because a guitarist can play fast, doesn't make him good. Hammett has been mentioned in this thread, but I think Masters of the Puppets is just noise. All heavy metal sucks because it has no melodies.

Hammett is nowhere near a top guitarist but you know nothing about metal and the melodies within it so shaaaat the faaaackkk uppp.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
SomeGuy wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Gilmour was great, but as far as improvisation, his style appears to be that he scripts out every note of his solos. I'll take good era Page.