It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Heck, I am anti-gambling but I don't mind some gambling talk. When they talk to Vegas guys they usually bring up some interesting stats and info. When hosts talk about what they're gambling on they might as well talk about their fantasy teams because that shit is boring.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:56 pm 

That and I'd be more pro-gambling if anyone gave me any winners at Arlington.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
also gambling is far more interesting than sabermetrics

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Gambling talk is merely people talking about which teams will win and lose but with more conviction. The proverbial putting your money where your mouth is.

And Arlington, sigh, been a money sink for several years running.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
KDdidit wrote:
Heck, I am anti-gambling but I don't mind some gambling talk. When they talk to Vegas guys they usually bring up some interesting stats and info. When hosts talk about what they're gambling on they might as well talk about their fantasy teams because that shit is boring.

That's weird. At Arlington, it seemed like you had a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
denisdman wrote:
Gambling talk is merely people talking about which teams will win and lose but with more conviction. The proverbial putting your money where your mouth is.

That's true. I'd rather hear what a gambling/stats expert thinks than hear some dumb pick 'em game with the semi-functional alcoholics on NFL Live.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Never got into gambling except horses but that's because I love horse racing. I only have a 10-15 commute to work so I guess thats why it doesn't bother me so much so far.

Like it's been said, still better than NBA talk.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Hockey Gay wrote:
Never got into gambling except horses but that's because I love horse racing. I only have a 10-15 commute to work so I guess thats why it doesn't bother me so much so far.

I drove past Pop’s on Sunday. The sign says it is reopening this March....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I did very well on NFL gambling this year so I don't mind the chatter at all. In fact I dig it

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

I drove past Pop’s on Sunday. The sign says it is reopening this March....

Ok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I wish they’d talk about Poweball numbers. Would be more interesting to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
As someone else said, it is probably just a function of timing. Billions of dollars are wagered on the NCAA men's basketball tournament. I suspect this show will also talk a fair amount of fantasy/gambling during football season. I'm fine with both, but if they start talking about the -250 bet on the Cubs on June 18th, I'll quickly lose interest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
How many millions of people have brackets, office pools, etc? It's completely relevant to discuss gambling at tourney time. This is like the Super Bowl, but for three weeks!

Bad thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:09 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

That's weird. At Arlington, it seemed like you had a problem.

Hence my second post, and the $5 a race I put up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 pm 

denisdman wrote:

And Arlington, sigh, been a money sink for several years running.

I dunno, the only conviction Mac and Parkins seem to have about gambling is they aren't interested in the games otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Gambling talk is good, it's what interests us in sporting events that don't involve local teams

Last year's NBA Finals Game 5 (clincher for GSW) had 18.6 rating in Chicago.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/13/g ... als-game-5

It may not interest "YOU" but people in Chicago care about national sports events that don't involved a local team. Or at least, basketball fans do because Chicago didn't register much in last year's Stanley Cup ratings as they were lower than 4.3 (Knoxville): https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/ ... 0066344960

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I'm personally indifferent to the gambling talk. It's a common interest that Parkins and Mac can both default to. Give it a few weeks and they'll have a better idea of what subjects form a more natural conversation besides gambling. That said, they'll still talk a shitload of gambling because they're both, well, degenerate gamblers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
richkraetsch wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Gambling talk is good, it's what interests us in sporting events that don't involve local teams

It may not interest "YOU" but people in Chicago care about national sports events that don't involved a local team. Or at least, basketball fans do because Chicago didn't register much in last year's Stanley Cup ratings as they were lower than 4.3 (Knoxville): https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/ ... 0066344960

Yes. People care about national events.

The majority of people in Chicago (at least ones who listen to AM radio) don't care about day to day games for out of town teams, no matter what sport. Unless there was something special that haooened.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
richkraetsch wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Yes. People care about national events.

The majority of people in Chicago (at least ones who listen to AM radio) don't care about day to day games for out of town teams, no matter what sport. Unless there was something special that haooened.

At least you're willing to add the (at least ones who listen to AM radio) disclaimer that so many others at this site don't. You may be right but "national NBA" being what sunk B&G is a really stupid talking point that gets brought up here mostly because those talking about it don't like the NBA. Again, that's fine but I think there were WAY bigger issues plaguing the show than them talking about the NBA.

I cited NBA Finals ratings and while I don't have specifics for Chicago proper, non-"event" NBA games are doing better than ever and I'd assume Chicago is in line with the rest of the country as far as that particularly in a town with such a storied and cherished NBA team:

Quote:
According to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, National Basketball Association telecasts on ESPN and TNT together are currently averaging 2 million viewers per game, up 15 percent compared to the year-ago draw of 1.74 million. Season-to-date, pro hoops coverage on the two cable networks is averaging a 0.9 rating in the target demo, which works out to around 1.16 million adults 18-49. That marks a 29 percent improvement compared to the 0.7 rating, or 902,300 adults 18-49, that ESPN and TNT were serving up a year ago.

Last season's five-game Cavs-Warriors Finals averaged 20.4 million viewers and a 7.4 in the demographic, making it the most-watched NBA championship series in 19 years. ABC, ESPN and TNT generated north of $900 million in ad sales revenue over the course of the 79-game postseason showcase.

Advertisers are particularly drawn to the NBA's affluent, apple-cheeked fan base. According to Magna research, the average age of NBA viewers is a sprightly 42 years old, which is considerably younger than the crowd that tunes in for the NFL (50) and Major League Baseball (57).

http://adage.com/article/media/nba-ratings/311486/

Would "I" do a show on the Sport that talks a lot of national NBA? Probably not. I also wouldn't do one that spends the show talking about my individual bets or hockey either.

Last edited by richkraetsch on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
2 million viewers nationally...yup ogie is right! no one cares about out of town NBA games.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
the Bears, Bulls, Hawks, and local college basketball were all complete shit shows all winter. That must have had some impact on sports radio ratings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:48 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
2 million viewers nationally...yup ogie is right! no one cares about out of town NBA games.

Somebody get those numbers to The Score. It's not too late to get Bernstein and Goff back on the radio!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:48 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:

Better let advertisers know! They keep sinking money into this failing roundball league venture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
richkraetsch wrote:
You may be right but "national NBA" being what sunk B&G is a really stupid talking point that gets brought up here mostly because those talking about it don't like the NBA. Again, that's fine but I think there were WAY bigger issues plaguing the show than them talking about the NBA.

What were the issues that sunk the show, in your view, and where would you rank national NBA/LeBron talk among them?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
richkraetsch wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Better let advertisers know! They keep sinking money into this failing roundball league venture.

woah bro, no one said it's failing. don't be sensitive. a lot of people don't care about nba. you do. that's fine! enjoy it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:56 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
richkraetsch wrote:
You may be right but "national NBA" being what sunk B&G is a really stupid talking point that gets brought up here mostly because those talking about it don't like the NBA. Again, that's fine but I think there were WAY bigger issues plaguing the show than them talking about the NBA.

What were the issues that sunk the show, in your view, and where would you rank national NBA/LeBron talk among them?

I would rank talking about the NBA and LeBron far below:

*A lack of fun
*Guest-heavy shows where neither of the hosts personality was ever able to shine
*Race/heavily-political talk (with both hosts on the opposite side than a lot of the station's historical listeners)
*Entire weeks devoted to hot-button issue of the time (PSU, MSU, etc.)
*Apprehension to calls/combative response to calls
*Lack of chemistry between the two, seemed to be on different planes most days
*Big shoes to fill with Terry

There are probably some others as well but on this site it seems like Jason talks about NBA for a segment was what made everyone run for the hills when I do believe all of above played a MUCH bigger role.

Again, i'm not saying that they didn't talk NBA more than I probably would for a Chicago sports radio show but it is what it is. That was what Jason and Dan were passionate about, all I want from my radio hosts are to talk about what they are passionate about. If Parkins and McNeil want to talk gambling because that's their passion, go for it. It was everything in-between that I thought was really dry, bland and uneasy. The show just wasn't any fucking fun ever. It was a chore to listen to and frankly I don't think Goff is a very good host or radio personality, regardless of what he's talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
richkraetsch wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
richkraetsch wrote:

I would rank talking about the NBA and LeBron far below:

*A lack of fun
*Guest-heavy shows where neither of the hosts personality was ever able to shine
*Race/heavily-political talk (with both hosts on the opposite side than a lot of the station's historical listeners)
*Entire weeks devoted to hot-button issue of the time (PSU, MSU, etc.)
*Apprehension to calls/combative response to calls
*Lack of chemistry between the two, seemed to be on different planes most days
*Big shoes to fill with Terry

There are probably some others as well but on this site it seems like Jason talks about NBA for a segment was what made everyone run for the hills when I do believe all of above played a MUCH bigger role.

I would agree with a lot of what you said, but not all of it. (I did hear some of it, but what I did hear, I didn't hear any of that.) I would say lack of fun and culture-war talk (these arguably go hand-in-hand) were the biggest issues, and Terry's absence loomed larger than any of us could have predicted, but I do think you're selling the out-of-town NBA talk short. I'm guessing you're a big NBA guy, which is fine, but when they'd go into detail about the back end of a TNT doubleheader, or just write another love letter to LeBron James, who exactly was that for, really? Between that and the fixation on Twitter, I almost started wondering whether they were trying to cultivate a not-necessarily-Chicago audience and backdoor their way into being a national NBA/online-culture-war podcast that also happened to be a drive-time radio show in Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I would agree with a lot of what you said, but not all of it. (I did hear some of it, but what I did hear, I didn't hear any of that.) I would say lack of fun and culture-war talk (these arguably go hand-in-hand) were the biggest issues, and Terry's absence loomed larger than any of us could have predicted, but I do think you're selling the out-of-town NBA talk short. I'm guessing you're a big NBA guy, which is fine, but when they'd go into detail about the back end of a TNT doubleheader, or just write another love letter to LeBron James, who exactly was that for, really? Between that and the fixation on Twitter, I almost started wondering whether they were trying to cultivate a not-necessarily-Chicago audience and backdoor their way into being a national NBA/online-culture-war podcast that also happened to be a drive-time radio show in Chicago.

I suppose since I didn't mind the NBA talk I may not have noticed it being overdone. Likewise if I listened to a show that talked a ton of hockey I may over-inflate how much they talked about it in the same way others are doing here. That's a definite possibility. And as I said I don't really disagree with some of the criticisms here I just think it's pretty far down the list of what made that show a failure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Sports gambling radio is bad radio and this is coming from someone whose father was a bookmaker and has spent decades around it. It's right up there with "Which WR should I play" radio.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Bacino's
This has been a pet peeve of mine and couldn't agree more with the OP.

These guys are so good together. It'd be a sports talk tragedy if they fill up their show with gambling-centric takes.

When they spent the first stretch of Monday's show talking point spreads, it got me worried. And it has nothing to do with the tournament. Both have admitted to a perhaps unhealthy obsession with gambling.

It's mostly completely uninteresting and it will lessen how much I listen to the show (that I'd otherwise really like to listen to!).