It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:35 am 

what we need is a polka movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:50 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
My point is that Nirvana was perfect for the moment and for whatever reason they were 'selected' by the people. You cannot deny that.

Do these bands get selected by the people? It seems to me a lot of "popular" music gets shoved down our throats by the music industry. For some reason if its on the radio and TV enough, people will buy it no matter how crappy it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:15 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
do you recall nirvana being shoved down our throats any more than guns n roses, korn, disturbed, van halen, dave matthews band, oasis, u2, aerosmith, etc...were?

i do not. it was all the same shoving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
korn

:puker:

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:21 am 
1000 CLUB

well, like them or not in 93-98 they brought dropped tuned sludge to the mainstream. and kids loved that rap-funk build up to the exploding chunky chorus.
it made you want to hurt things. perfect for a 15 year old from north dakota.
and now that shit is gone and it's like 1985 all over again, in metal, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:24 am 
1000 CLUB

Irish Boy wrote:
It's as though no one remembers how to read or write, and people debate what books are best by determining which burn the brightest. That's the state of modern music, and John Lennon is more responsible than any other person. I will never forgive him.

And some people think I have a stick up my ass. Somebody please remove the telephone pole from IB's behind please. This might be the most ridiculous thing he's every posted. And he's had some beauties. It's always amusing when people try to act like they know something about a certain subject, when clearly they do not. IB may know how to read music. That doesn't make him any more qualified to appreciate it or understand it. This post reminds me of a one-car crash where a drunk ran off the road. Slow down, make sure everyone is still alive, get the guy some help, and move along. Nothing to be learned here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: ***
Quote:
IB may know how to read music. That doesn't make him any more qualified to appreciate it or understand it.

That sentence underlines the untenability of your position. Does not being able to read books not make you any more qualified to appreciate or understand them? I understand that 99% of people between the ages of 25 and 60 think that the Beatles are the greatest thing that ever existed, and that John Lennon is a modern-day Mozart who recrafted music in his own image. That doesn't mean I can't argue the contrary (and haven't you taken flak on this board for arguing a lot of the same things about hip-hop?)

But I get that argument quite a bit, that I don't know anything about modern music. What, pray tell, don't I know that everyone else does? It can't be anything about the music itself, because the other side of the argument I hear is the quote above, and those arguments are contradictory- I know music but I don't know music. It has to be something about the culture or feeling of the music. That might be true. I don't give a flying fig about the sociology of the stuff. I care about the sounds. That is music. And the rock idiom is fatally limited in that regard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:37 am 

FavreFan wrote:
korn

:puker:

Who's to say that they are bad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:47 am 

Irish Boy wrote:
Does not being able to read books not make you any more qualified to appreciate or understand them?

If you can't read, somebody can read it to you. That's essentially the same thing as music. The point isn't reading it, it's hearing it....then judging it on your own by your own standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:49 am 
1000 CLUB

Your first mistake is comparing reading books to reading music. Reading is a basic human skill. Music is art. Two totally different things. Your premise is flawed.

Knowing how to read music enables me to write music differently than if I did not. It helps me in playing the piano and guitar. It has very little influence on my appreciation or understanding of others' music. It is totally different than reading books. I do have to be able to read to appreciate and feel the power of books. I don't have to be able to read music to appreciate it or feel it. I don't know how to draw or paint, but I have a fair understanding of appreciating fine art from not so fine art. I don't have to know how to paint to understand it. I have no clue how to sculpt. However I believe I have some appreciation of the difference between fine sculpture and not so fine sculpture. I can appreciate these things based on the techniques I can recognize and most importantly, the feelings they invoke.

I didn't say you didn't know anything about modern music. So put that strawman away. But your dissing of John Lennon, a composer who created many different kinds of music, tells me that you don't know how to appreciate it. You are apparently incapable of feeling it. And if that's the case, then yes, you perhaps don't understand it.

PS...My disdain for hip hop has nothing to do with the music per se. My disdain is for some of the lyrics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
If Lennon sucked as bad as IB claims he did, Pi Theory has zero chance of doing anything more than playing at TCs.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:13 pm 

I'm not really a Beatles fan but if I were a musician I'd aspire to be as bad as John Lennon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
FavreFan wrote:
W_Z wrote:
The 60's and 70's were some of the best times of music.

:thumleft:

+Whatever.... since I stopped reading the thread at this point, and not sure if others agreed already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Quote:
Nirvana was a band that looked like we did the most. Sang songs about how we felt the most.

Speak for yourself. At that time, I didn't need nothin' but a good time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:17 pm 

My last post, as I've pretty much shot my load on this:

Coast says that painting, sculpture, etc. are better comparisons to music than reading. That could be, and like him I have no training in any of those arts either. However, I also think my opinions in those areas are pretty deficient, and I'm often told so by people who are artists themselves. I think most people fall into this category, especially when it comes to modern art. I still think the reading analogy holds when it comes to literature however. I'm willing to entertain that different people have different beliefs in their capabilities in different arts. I consider myself very knowledgable about music theory and very ignorant about art, and so I avoid any discussion about the latter. That might be driven by my opinions about music, however. So I get both sides there.

Frank continues to equate popularity with quality (Farvefan accused me of doing this to him. He does a little, but Frank is making the blanket equation.) If 99% of people say 2 + 2 is 6 and I say 2 + 2 is 4, then I'm still right. Now, maybe my argument is wrong and everyone else is right, that could very well be true. But you have to appeal to the argument itself, not the popularity therein.

My final thoughts. There are basically two ways to come at our artistic tastes. Either, "I like it, therefore it's good," or "It's good, therefore I like it." I reject the first, which I think Farvefan is the main proponent of, since we can never debate the merits of any artistic work beyond our own vantage points within that framework. All restaurant, CD, movie reviews would be literally meaningless, since they would have no meaning for anyone besides the writer.

I believe that I like what I like because it is good. The challenge therein is to then define what makes it good. What frustrates me about musical discussions is because very often, the argument is unrelated to the music itself. The music is good because it taps into some angst in society, or it is good because its lyrics are profound. Music can do and be all that, but it must be good in itself as well. So you must ask yourself, "what is good about the music I like?"

Often, the converse argument is easier, "what is bad about the music I dislike?" Most people have no trouble with this. "Bubble-gum pop is bad because it's derivative drivel with no originality or complexity" might be an argument like that. The positive side is harder. You could say that the lyrics make a song good, but would the song be equally good if the same lyrics were set to completely different music? If not, then why not? You must answer that question by looking at the sound itself.

I have no problem with most people not enjoying classical music. It means more elbow room at Ravinia for me, cheaper CDs, and a whole slew of other things. I just don't like music or aesthetic tastes not being taken seriously. Art is important- we define ourselves as a species and our lives as individuals almost entirely through the art we have produced- and its worth the time to consider it more thoroughly, whatever the conclusions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:25 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:

Unless somebody already has, I might have to go give you a Shoutout for that...thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:29 pm 

WestmontMike wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

Unless somebody already has, I might have to go give you a Shoutout for that...thank you.

OK, breaking my ruke:

If you're sick of me posting, then why read the thread? You're like a Mike North section guy who bitches about North but listens to the show just to get pissed off. No one is putting a gun to your head, so just read something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:31 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
WestmontMike wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

OK, breaking my ruke:

If you're sick of me posting, then why read the thread? You're like a Mike North section guy who bitches about North but listens to the show just to get pissed off. No one is putting a gun to your head, so just read something else.

Unclench boy, it's a joke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 pm 

Normally I'd let it slide, but you seem to make that comment quite a bit to me in a bunch of threads. If you don't like it, just don't read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Irish Boy done got hisself all worked up...

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:34 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
Normally I'd let it slide, but you seem to make that comment quite a bit to me in a bunch of threads. If you don't like it, just don't read it.

You must have me mixed up with someone else. Don't worry, we're all wrong sometimes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I wonder if Heath Ledger liked The Beatles.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Liked? I'm sure he still likes the Beatles. What are you getting at Frank?

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:47 pm 

Leath Hedger wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

We listened to Twist and Shout during the brokeback sex scenes...

just as i suspected would be the case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
They ushered out the hair bands (which I loved) and brought in the doc marten, flannel wearing, my life is so hard when in reality no it's not attitude. I hated the whole movement and missed what they replaced.

Long Live Spaulding!!! Queen of all that is good in this barren land of nose-ring-wearing-purple-tinted-hair-spiking-kill-the-torch-holding-SUV-driving-40' somethings!

Carry on my wayward 20 something sons........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Lose the 80X avatar loverboy. little napoleon complex, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Quote:
Nirvana was a band that looked like we did the most. Sang songs about how we felt the most.

doug can you elaborate here? I find it hard to believe that a bunch of white middle class kids looked like him. I don't think they were a bunch of depressed angry weird "deep" heroin addicts either.

IB why does music have to be complex in order to be enjoyable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:32 pm 

Quote:
IB why does music have to be complex in order to be enjoyable?

I don't think it has to be. The best analogy I can come up with is this: an author can write a really good book using only short, simple sentences. Ernest Hemingway made a career of it. It's hard though to capture every nuance of what you're trying to get across. It's best to have every musical device available to you. If you limit yourself to the simplest possible idiom, you may produce some good things, but you are naturally limited. Most of the great composers are considered great because they found the musical language, as it existed at the time, to be stutifying, so they expanded it. I see the past half-century as a step backwards in this regard. Furthermore, I don't think most bands choose to be simple because they think it's best; I think they choose to be simple because they don't know any better.

I have a small confession to make as well; I am a huge AC/DC fan. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:26 am 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
i agree with IB to a point. john lennon is heralded as the genius of his day, and it's ironic that in a time of unprecedented progress and innovation in music, the most boring musician has the greatest impact on society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:
doug can you elaborate here? I find it hard to believe that a bunch of white middle class kids looked like him. I don't think they were a bunch of depressed angry weird "deep" heroin addicts either.

well, many of us had fucked up long hair, flannel shirts, black boots, ripped jeans, and holey sneaks, before nirvana. maybe kids in park ridge didn't, but everyone who grew up two minutes from corn or near a farm (i.e. most of the country) did.
so, in that regard. he did look like us.
we didn't know kurt was a heroin addict during "bleach" and when "nevermind" was breaking big. the heroin stuff came out after everyone had been exposed to their music for almost a year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next