It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: CKG goes all sports
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
They have some kind of real estate investing show on now. One man is interviewing another man, and I am not sure either of them know they are on the radio. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
$500 for 3 months of advertising on any of their shows.

Is that true?

Do you have to provide a commercial?

What do you have in mind?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:31 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Tad Queasy wrote:
They have some kind of real estate investing show on now. One man is interviewing another man, and I am not sure either of them know they are on the radio. :lol: :lol:

Sounds like The Chicago Sports Exchange.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:32 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Telegram Sam wrote:

Is that true?

I have a couple ideas.

Three months is a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:40 pm 

Tuned in at about 4:38 to see if Rich Eisen was on as advertised but there is just dead air.

Now they're playing music, which sounds awesome on AM radio.

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Tad Queasy wrote:
Tuned in at about 4:38 to see if Rich Eisen was on as advertised but there is just dead air.

So, Rich Eisen on as advertised.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:48 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I was going to fire up the listen live on the website. Couldn't find it.

Didn't realize that Sports Report thing was real. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:49 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I knew someone was going to say that. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:23 pm 

It would have worked better with Dan Patrick. Dude was the king of pregnant pauses at ESPN.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:22 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It would have worked better with Dan Patrick. Dude was the king of pregnant pauses at ESPN.

That's why he has 4 cohosts now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Telegram Sam wrote:

Is that true?

I have a couple ideas.

Three months is a long time.

Yeah but $500 for two listeners is a lot, even for three months.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Is there any money behind this? If there is they can steal some people from the other stations.

I can see Bernstein bailing the score for this station as long as he's the coverboy.

Goff would take a spot sure.

Even some of the long time producers on the score would be an easy hire if they promised them on air gig.s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I don't think you can get this station in Deerfield, so I don't think Bernstein would be interested.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
I can see Bernstein bailing the score for this station as long as he's the coverboy.

ugh come on

Do you see this signal? That's their good one and the contour map is as dumbly optimistic as a Cubs fan in 1995. You cannot hear it outside the magenta circle because of WXLC at the exact same frequency with a stronger signal.

This is a nothing. This is a nerd whose rich dad lets him play radio on a low-powered tax writeoff. It's been a Glenn Beck/Alex Jones station, an alternative/R&B station, and now a "men welcome" sports station within roughly the last 18 months. In a few more months, it'll be whatever else catches his passing fancy, perhaps shows about gardening and infomercials for brain pills. Dan Bernstein will quit the radio business before he deigns to work at this joke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Damn i thought FM local would have a stronger range.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Damn i thought FM local would have a stronger range.

It's not a real FM station. It's a translator of an AM station, hence the alphanumeric callsign. It's a low-powered signal that's only licensed to repeat a station with a full license, in this case 1530, whose signal is even feebler.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
This guy isn't going to pay anyone to broadcast a show.

It'll be brokered time, sell your own commercials to pay for it.

Audio only version of Byron Allen's Funny You Should Ask.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza
Could this be Matt's chance to bring in another investor into the fold??

Wasn't there talk on here, Maybe Mac mentioned this as well, someone correct me if I'm wrong, of a 3rd sports talker at play? A south suburban transmitter?

If the "fm," ckg wasn't on 102.3, it could, put up some fight with strong local content. But running interference with XLC really hurts any chances of that station making any sort of headway.

I don't see a brokered 2-4 afternoon show working at all!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:58 pm 

Yeah, what was that, a Peotone station? I see 640 AM licensed to Peotone but nothing on the FM side. 640 has decent north-south coverage but huge nulls to the west.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:00 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
what kind of coverage of far north exurbs of Chicago do Wisco stations have? Any Milwaukee sports-talk stations signals make it to like Gurnee.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:35 am 

Well, rule of thumb for FM in Chicago seems to be about a 50-mile radius of reliable coverage from the Sears and Hancock masts: Kenosha, Woodstock, the Kane/DeKalb county line, Braidwood, Kankakee, New Buffalo. From Milwaukee, the same would basically get you down to Lake Bluff, Libertyville, McHenry, and Hebron -- I remember describing Route 120 here as marking off the southern end of the Bears-Packers DMZ (Highway 50 in WI, give or take, is the northern limit) and I guess that comes into play here too. Thing is, the Milwaukee stations tend not to chase many clients south of Racine, so the old NextMedia cluster (WXLC, WIIL, and two AMs no one listens to) really feasts on Lake and Kenosha Counties. WIIL Rock, which for FCC-circumventing purposes is now licensed to Union Grove but has its stick in Kenosha and is moving its studios to Gurnee, is probably the biggest north-to-south success story. Somehow, they're successfully clinging to that "active rock" format, playing all these turgid bands that have names like Shattering Sarah, Gruntbucket, and Rumbleturd.

The big one is WHAD (the public affairs side of Wisconsin Public Radio), which runs at twice the normal strength of an FM station because the spoken-word format allows them to broadcast in mono. I've pulled it down in Des Plaines all the way from gosh-darned Delafield, and when WDCB's transmitter is on the fritz, it bleeds over from 90.7 into 90.9.

Don't know much about the AM side, just that TMJ (Packers, Brewers, Bucks) covers most/all of Chicagoland well during daytime but has to power down hard at night and I have trouble with it on most radios. Shame, because I want to catch as much Ueck as I can before he takes his dirt nap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Well, rule of thumb for FM in Chicago seems to be about a 50-mile radius of reliable coverage from the Sears and Hancock masts: Kenosha, Woodstock, the Kane/DeKalb county line, Braidwood, Kankakee, New Buffalo. From Milwaukee, the same would basically get you down to Lake Bluff, Libertyville, McHenry, and Hebron -- I remember describing Route 120 here as marking off the southern end of the Bears-Packers DMZ (Highway 50 in WI, give or take, is the northern limit) and I guess that comes into play here too. Thing is, the Milwaukee stations tend not to chase many clients south of Racine, so the old NextMedia cluster (WXLC, WIIL, and two AMs no one listens to) really feasts on Lake and Kenosha Counties. WIIL Rock, which for FCC-circumventing purposes is now licensed to Union Grove but has its stick in Kenosha and is moving its studios to Gurnee, is probably the biggest north-to-south success story. Somehow, they're successfully clinging to that "active rock" format, playing all these turgid bands that have names like Shattering Sarah, Gruntbucket, and Rumbleturd.

The big one is WHAD (the public affairs side of Wisconsin Public Radio), which runs at twice the normal strength of an FM station because the spoken-word format allows them to broadcast in mono. I've pulled it down in Des Plaines all the way from gosh-darned Delafield, and when WDCB's transmitter is on the fritz, it bleeds over from 90.7 into 90.9.

Don't know much about the AM side, just that TMJ (Packers, Brewers, Bucks) covers most/all of Chicagoland well during daytime but has to power down hard at night and I have trouble with it on most radios. Shame, because I want to catch as much Ueck as I can before he takes his dirt nap.

Jeez, what field do you work in? Impressive amount of detail on the radio reach and history of the stations.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, what was that, a Peotone station? I see 640 AM licensed to Peotone but nothing on the FM side. 640 has decent north-south coverage but huge nulls to the west.

There used to be an FM station using that transmitter. I've forgotten the name of it though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza
AM 540, the ESPN station in Milwaukee comes in ok during the day depending on the car. The other sports yaker is on the FM side.

I'm pulling for WCKG. Hopful this isn't a stunt, interested in what he decides on 2-4. My guess is, he's selling the time not hiring.

Outkick could outdraw 1000 in the morning.

Pick up TMJ at O'Hare during the evening, need to listen to more of Uncle Bob during Crew home games before he turns off the mic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Mr.Hippy wrote:
AM 540, the ESPN station in Milwaukee comes in ok during the day depending on the car. The other sports yaker is on the FM side.

I'm pulling for WCKG. Hopful this isn't a stunt, interested in what he decides on 2-4. My guess is, he's selling the time not hiring.

Pick up TMJ at O'Hare during the evening, need to listen to more of Uncle Bob during Crew home games before he turns off the mic.

1530's "distant" coverage includes most of the population of the area—I think—and the signal is the strongest where it covers the most people within its range.

It doesn't have a shot to contend with MVP and SCR, but it could siphon off enough listeners in the West/North-West/South-West burbs to make a little money...maybe.

Thing is, all these local, low-power (WYKT, WBIG, etc.) guys quake in their boots about making a commitment to pay local talent, because it is so much easier to pay whatever it costs for a ready-made syndicated show than make a commitment to talent to start one up and keep it going.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
A whole station dedicated to Zoltar's Industrial Zone would be my preference. Failing that, bring back 92.7 The Bear.

I have been trying to track down WCBR airchecks or even playlists for years now with very little luck. All I've found was a reunion show that some of the hosts did on Northwestern radio a few years ago and now the link is dead. All I remember was they talked about liking the song "Reservation Road" by Bill Miller. It is pretty good in that thoughtful '90s adult-album-alternative way.

If I ever won the lottery, I'd buy 106.7 and use that as a personal toy and beam Tindersticks and Afghan Whigs songs to the northwest burbs.

WCBR was lot of Pavement and Dinosaur Jr. Lot of local/regional flannel bands too.

Loved CBR in my high school years...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Mr.Hippy wrote:

He is hoping Mike North will come out of retirement and buy the airtime.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:09 am 

Mr.Hippy wrote:
I'm pulling for WCKG. Hopful this isn't a stunt

Everything this guy does is a stunt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:25 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Jeez, what field do you work in? Impressive amount of detail on the radio reach and history of the stations.

Used to do creative for the Waukegan/Kenosha NextMedia stations, stopped when they decided they didn't need local advertising for a while. Family was in radio for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 am 

Thing is, all these local, low-power (WYKT, WBIG, etc.) guys quake in their boots about making a commitment to pay local talent, because it is so much easier to pay whatever it costs for a ready-made syndicated show than make a commitment to talent to start one up and keep it going.

WCGO up in Evanston, before the last ownership change, was talking a big game about carrying close to a full complement of live/local "smart talk" programming, then they realized they had to pay the talent (Milt Rosenberg among them in kind of a sad coda) and it fell apart in a hurry. I think it's still mostly brokered to the Koreans and Assyrians with some syndicated right-wing talk in middays and stuff like "Modern Tool Shed Enthusiast Weekly" on the weekends. I expect it'll go full Radio Shopping Show eventually with the sale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next