It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:07 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Even if you consider what Parkins did to be "cheap," think about if it were your own (3rd) wedding... would you really care enough to even think twice about it? What kind of petty person must you be to care about such things? The gift was still worth $200, anyway... that's more than most people give at weddings. These "rules" that are being cited remind me of my mother-in-law and her catty friends sitting around and bitching about how cheap everyone else is.

The question is not how would you react if you got this as a gift. Id take it and go eat there.

But, if were judging wedding gifts...it's bad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Well, well, well... look at the board elitists looking down on Indian givers like Kirkwood and me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Well, well, well... look at the board elitists looking down on Indian givers like Kirkwood and me.

Native-American givers, please.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Even if you consider what Parkins did to be "cheap," think about if it were your own (3rd) wedding... would you really care enough to even think twice about it? What kind of petty person must you be to care about such things? The gift was still worth $200, anyway... that's more than most people give at weddings. These "rules" that are being cited remind me of my mother-in-law and her catty friends sitting around and bitching about how cheap everyone else is.

The question is not how would you react if you got this as a gift. Id take it and go eat there.

I guess... I have to be honest, though - I don't think I've ever actually put thought into a wedding gift. My wife usually gets them, and I'm sure she puts very little thought into them, either. Seems like a weird unwritten rule that exists just because it always has.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Native-American givers, please.

Greg disagrees.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 am 

I can't wait to explain how my day went at dinner tonight.

I debated wedding gift etiquette with a bunch of strangers on a message board about local sports talk radio.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:14 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
I can't wait to explain how my day went at dinner tonight.

I debated wedding gift etiquette with a bunch of strangers on a message board about local sports talk radio.

I've gone to a few weddings where I wasn't a huge fan of the people getting married.

Next one gets a gift card to Autozone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I thought the entire exchange, live on air yesterday was quite amusing. It hit a climax when Parkins mentioned that it was a third wedding without a registry. That pissed off Matty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:21 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

I haven't been to a third wedding yet but I imagine the gift level should be about the equivalent of being invited to a 50th birthday party. This isn't a matter of helping out two kids starting out in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I guess... I have to be honest, though - I don't think I've ever actually put thought into a wedding gift. My wife usually gets them, and I'm sure she puts very little thought into them, either. Seems like a weird unwritten rule that exists just because it always has.

There usually is some sort of story about someone knowing someone that bitches about how much people gave them in envelopes. I never really got that part. Of course, there will always be one or two cheap asses. If you do not want to get really shorted though don't be a big shot and throw a wedding reception at $150 a plate then invite all poor friends that are workers at Walmart.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:26 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
The gift was still worth $200, anyway... that's more than most people give at weddings.

Is it? My go-to amount is usually $200, and I'll maybe bump it up to $250-$300 if it's a very close friend or close family member. Am I an over-gifter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
good dolphin wrote:
I haven't been to a third wedding yet but I imagine the gift level should be about the equivalent of being invited to a 50th birthday party. This isn't a matter of helping out two kids starting out in the world.

This. Two grown adults getting married for the 2nd and 3rd time don't need gifts. If they want to throw a party and invite people, that fine, but be prepared to pay for it. The invitation should have read "No Gifts Please".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:30 am 

Douchebag wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
The gift was still worth $200, anyway... that's more than most people give at weddings.

Is it? My go-to amount is usually $200, and I'll maybe bump it up to $250-$300 if it's a very close friend or close family member. Am I an over-gifter?

I think a lot of it is cultural. With my family, the gifts are lower, but the receptions are usually much more casual also. With my wife's family, $200 would be an insult. We probably average $250 for her side, but I still think it's bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I always thought the rule of thumb was cash that covers the cost of your plates.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I think a lot of it is cultural. With my family, the gifts are lower, but the receptions are usually much more casual also. With my wife's family, $200 would be an insult. We probably average $250 for her side, but I still think it's bullshit.

Married up...nice!

leash's side traditionally brings farm animals as a gift

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 am 

good dolphin wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Married up...nice!

No, but the reception is usually a hog roast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:43 am 

good dolphin wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Married up...nice!

By the way, maybe you can explain this, as a Polish man. My wife's family spends money like water on each other. Her parents would go broke giving gifts to people for various things. And they consider anyone who doesn't do the same thing to be "cheap." Would you say that's a Polish thing or are they just unique?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
rogers park bryan wrote:
Can't do it is a great segment and Spiegel calling in was great. You can hear the contempt in his voice he has for Parkins in general.

That is contempt he held when they were paired together. He treated Parkins like shit 15 months ago and it was wedding #3 so I want to give Parkins a shoutout for an appropriate gift

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Married up...nice!

By the way, maybe you can explain this, as a Polish man. My wife's family spends money like water on each other. Her parents would go broke giving gifts to people for various things. And they consider anyone who doesn't do the same thing to be "cheap." Would you say that's a Polish thing or are they just unique?

I think the parents spend on their daughters. I'd say the opposite is true for everyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:59 am 

denisdman wrote:
I thought the entire exchange, live on air yesterday was quite amusing. It hit a climax when Parkins mentioned that it was a third wedding without a registry. That pissed off Matty.

Was Parkins wrong though? I say not

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
By the way, maybe you can explain this, as a Polish man.

Ill take Sentences that have never been uttered in history for $200

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

100% yes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:04 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

100% yes.

#FakeNews

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

^
this guy gets it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 am 

If he did this to Mac on his fourth marriage, would you guys feel the same way?

I think not.

Call Parkins a cheap bastard and move on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I'll say this, despite the shittiness of what Parkins did, it made for absolutely hilarious and compelling radio, and Parkins played it, and Spiegel, perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
If he did this to Mac on his fourth marriage, would you guys feel the same way?

I think not.

Call Parkins a cheap bastard and move on.

If he did this to Mac, he'd laugh. Mac treats Parkins like one his sons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:40 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I'll say this, despite the shittiness of what Parkins did, it made for absolutely hilarious and compelling radio, and Parkins played it, and Spiegel, perfectly.

It absolutely was entertaining and fun that hour. It's something that had been missing from the afternoon hours this decade. Parkins is the #1 star of the station right now, and he earned it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:45 am 

Yep.

It was fun radio.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:52 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Yep.

It was fun radio.

Parkins deserves a gift certificate from Joe's for all of the free-pub he just gave them on air.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next