It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
How would you rank them?

My personal choice would be Green Day 1st, then Pumpkins, followed by P.J. and Nirvana.

I'm not saying Pearl Jam is not good, but I think that the Pumpkins are superior in terms instrumentation, orchestration and percussion. The best of Green Day ranks above the best of the others, with Billie have the top vocals and then Eddie.

The more I listen to Nirvana, the less I like them nowadays. There was too much of a fuss about them to begin with. Grunge kind of sucked.

Green Day is not grunge. They fit in the category of punk rock, pop and classical. Pumpkins might be even more classical.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Green Day doesn't even deserve a mention in this particular conversation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Nirvana obliterates everyone, Smashing Pumpkins production was brilliant on the first few albums, Eddie Vedder’s singing style has aged terribly and it’s likely the type of shit you throw on at Guantanamo Bay to torture prisoners, and Green Day is laughably bad and beneath my contempt. So those are my rankings.

I don’t want to be too harsh on Pearl Jam because I love Stone Gossard, Mike McCready, and Jeff Ament. And I’m a big fan of No Code. I made a deluxe version with the Merkinball tracks, Dead Man, Long Road, and a great three song set from Red Rocks 1995: Ship Song/Footsteps/Falling Down. Ship Song being a partial Nick Cave cover and Falling Down being a track about Vedder’s mixed feelings on abortion (deemed way too personal for album inclusion). There were some others I can’t recall at the moment, but the disc is an 80 minute front-to-back classic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Radiohead says hello.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
1) Nirvava
2) Pearl Jam
3) Pumpkins
4) Green Day

Green Day is horrible. The other 3 are good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I dont know much about these bands but the classic rock stations are playing Green Day songs now.

How does it qualify as classic rock from the 2000s?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Here's my post from the wrong thread. I'm not even drunk.

I don't like Nirvana, but I was a hipster in the 90s so I had contempt for them while sitting in the back of the classroom telling everyone that Mudhoney is the band that should defines 90s alternative rock.

With that in mind, if you look at whole body of work, I'd have to say Nirvana is one but that's just because they ended before the crap stuff they would inevitably produce. 2. would probably be Pearl Jam 3. SP and 4. GD.

If you look at the band at their peak, 1 would be Pearl Jam, 10, Vs., Vitalogy, No Code is a good peak run and the kids forget that at the time, PJ was huge and people loved Vs. more than In Utero but since then IU gets the suicide bump. 2. Nirvana 3. SP and 4. GD.

Green Day shouldn't be in the conversation, they had a moment with American Idiot but then tried to become pop punk's version of The Who.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
shirtless driver wrote:
Green Day doesn't even deserve a mention in this particular conversation.

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 pm 

the classical feel of green day's "when i come around" really resonates. chopin would have been impressed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:12 pm 

I've never really heard much of anything by PJ outside of Ten and I'm not sure I really want to because Ten is so good and I dont wan't to be dissapointed.

Pumpkins I know more of their stuff but not much more. "Zero" is a perfect headbanger's song.

Nirvana I know the most about. They have their fair share of duds but songs like "Friendly Radio Unit Shifter" will kill your brain cells for making you headbang so hard.

Green Day is gay.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:13 pm 

W_Z wrote:
the classical feel of green day's "when i come around" really resonates. chopin would have been impressed.

That and Insomnia are the only Green Day songs I can tolerate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Psycory wrote:
Here's my post from the wrong thread. I'm not even drunk.

I don't like Nirvana, but I was a hipster in the 90s so I had contempt for them while sitting in the back of the classroom telling everyone that Mudhoney is the band that should defines 90s alternative rock.

With that in mind, if you look at whole body of work, I'd have to say Nirvana is one but that's just because they ended before the crap stuff they would inevitably produce. 2. would probably be Pearl Jam 3. SP and 4. GD.

If you look at the band at their peak, 1 would be Pearl Jam, 10, Vs., Vitalogy, No Code is a good peak run and the kids forget that at the time, PJ was huge and people loved Vs. more than In Utero but since then IU gets the suicide bump. 2. Nirvana 3. SP and 4. GD.

Green Day shouldn't be in the conversation, they had a moment with American Idiot but then tried to become pop punk's version of The Who.

All those fans loved Nirvana until about August, 1991. It was unbelievable how uncool Nirvana became among the hipsters. (This isn't a shot at Cory--I'm getting the humorous self-deprecation.) Same with the Smashing Pumpkins. But it's natural to feel that way.

I never really realized that Mudhoney was not hugely popular. They were popular with all of my friends at U of I, and even if they tended to appear on MTV only during 120 Minutes, I still assumed they had broken out and were able to buy mansions and shit. I remember being surprised that my little brother, who was in high school at the time, had never heard of Mudhoney.

"Piece o' Cake"! Sweet shirt.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:34 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
W_Z wrote:

That and Insomnia are the only Green Day songs I can tolerate.

they don't have a song called "insomnia".

tommy wrote:
All those fans loved Nirvana until about August, 1991. It was unbelievable how uncool Nirvana became among the hipsters. (This isn't a shot at Cory--I'm getting the humorous self-deprecation.) Same with the Smashing Pumpkins. But it's natural to feel that way.

I never really realized that Mudhoney was not hugely popular. They were popular with all of my friends at U of I, and even if they tended to appear on MTV only during 120 Minutes, I still assumed they had broken out and were able to buy mansions and shit. I remember being surprised that my little brother, who was in high school at the time, had never heard of Mudhoney.

"Piece o' Cake"! Sweet shirt.

in the community, i'm not sure anything after "bleach" was considered worthy by nirvana. cobain complained that he couldn't win with anyone until they blew up with the success of "nevermind".

you were legit if you liked mudhoney, pixies, the melvins, stuff like that.

but if you really wanted to dig deep, slint slays them all with indie rock cred.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 pm 

Green Day far and away is #1.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:54 pm 

The first song off that album, wz. You know what i mean.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Nirvana
PJ
GD

I've always detested SP.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nirvana was obviously the most popular for a very short career. One can only wonder what the music might have become if they had the longevity of Foo Fighters.
Smashing Pumpkins is no. 2 on the list. A bit whiny but most of their radio stuff holds up.
I'm not the biggest Green Day guy as they appear to have lifted a couple riffs from other artists, but the band has sold a ton of records singing with a fake British accent.
Pearl Jam could be rated higher, but Vedder's voice is a little annoying.

There were a lot of other artists from the 90s that would be on a list like STP, Counting Crows, Gin Blossoms, Weezer, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:28 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
interesting take on green day. from the classic rock radio stations i listen to they all the dj's rave about them. didnt know they were considered as suck from the youngsters.

like U2. they suck for me but they get all the corporate hype.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:27 pm 

W_Z wrote:

What about the cello accompaniment in Good Riddance? It's brilliant and makes the song. That's GD's Stairway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVxYLeYgytM

This looks like a strings ensemble to me backing Billie. Great version from Letterman, but not the best quality. Can't find the HQ version anymore. I saw this when it first aired on Letterman. Was amazed.

Billie is a fucking genius. Perfect phrasing with his vocals.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:38 pm 

It's a hard decision for me between Green Day and Pumpkins. Pumpkins are in a class by themselves.

They broke new ground in rock music with songs like Tonight and Disarm. Few songs can compare to Tonight for the genius strings accompaniment, especially at the end. The use of bells or glockenspiel at the beginning of Disarm was very fitting. You can't even imagine Pumpkins without Corgan's vocals, for better or for worse. Heck, I even like the pure instrumental piece, "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness." Who doesn't like Today?

But at the end of the day, Green Day has two perfect songs in Good Riddance and When September Ends, which none of the other bands can eclipse, though the Pumpkins come closest.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
1. Green Day/Nirvana
3. Smashing Pumpkins
4. Pearl Jam

Green Day is actually pretty good. Early stuff gets a lot of rightful praise, but American Idiot has some killer tracks too. I dont care what anyone says the Holiday/Blvd of Broken Dreams song is a true classic. An actual rock anthem which is something everyone should be missing. I would kill for that song to come out and have the same kind of mass appeal trash like the Chainsmokers enjoy.

Yea they've fallen apart in the last 10 years and it all sucks, but whatever I wont hold that against them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:52 pm 

whiskey dick wrote:
Eddie Vedder’s singing style has aged terribly and it’s likely the type of shit you throw on at Guantanamo Bay to torture prisoners.

:lol:

I used to like No Code a lot. It's a hard album to figure out, like the mosaic album cover. Red Mosquito is a very good track. I like Hail Hail, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Green Day? Really?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 am 

Green Day is so bad that it made my friend quit teaching guitar during the American Idiot era because too many young teens wanted to learn it. He wanted to teach them classical or metal guitar instead. You know, something that actually takes talent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Nirvana and PJ are interchangeable at #1. Nirvana gets more love, but five really kickass albums and longevity has to count for something. Both were and still are incredibly influential.

Smashing Pumpkins are a distant 3rd.

Green Day doesn't even deserve a mention with these three other bands.

Oh, even Jesus facepalmed at the Gin Blossoms mention.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:54 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Smashing Pumpkins- one of three concerts I have been to in my life. If I named the other two, Boyd would have a tough time finding the appropriate wrestling gif to describe the absurdity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 am 

Pearl Jam
Pumpkins
Nirvana
Green Day

All 4 are good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
denisdman wrote:
Smashing Pumpkins- one of three concerts I have been to in my life. If I named the other two, Boyd would have a tough time finding the appropriate wrestling gif to describe the absurdity.

Starland Vocal Band and Poco...or was it Bread?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 am 

denisdman wrote:

Toto
Captain Geech & The Shrimp Shack Shooters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Knowing Dennis, it was probably Eddie Money and Ma$e.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.