It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm 

Him and his twitter... still taking pot shots but not gutsy enough to call out people by name. Let it go big man!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I’ve barely been able to appreciate LeBron damn James’ greatness since playa was fired . Hope he’s back on the air soon!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
badrogue17 wrote:
I’ve barely been able to appreciate LeBron damn James’ greatness since playa was fired . Hope he’s back on the air soon!

Without Jason around, I've been susceptible to the argument that LeBron Damn James is bad. Without Jason to tell us so, how will people realize LeBron Damn James is Actually Good?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Are McNeil and Parkins high during their shows? While it's nice to hear sports radio hosts who don't sound annoyed at having to host a sports radio show (Ex: Rongey, Abbatacola, & Shepkowski) the constant giggling and gasping laughter from these two makes me wonder if they aren't smoking up before or during their shows. They also tend to repeat things over and over that aren't all that funny, such as this spot of the McNeil and Boers reunion show, and their reactions sounds like a couple of stoned guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Wouldn't you assume Parkins has always been stoned on the air?

Mac idk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:03 pm 

Went down a tenth from 3.6 to 3.5 (but up from the 2.3 in March), LS-FM and the Drive have taken the Loop's old market share and shot up the list.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Went down a tenth from 3.6 to 3.5 (but up from the 2.3 in March), LS-FM and the Drive have taken the Loop's old market share and shot up the list.

So reason for Goff to gloat or no?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:11 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

So reason for Goff to gloat or no?

Maybe a little restrained gloating: "you don't know all the numbers I know."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:12 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
So about that supposed Cubs bump? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:13 pm 

Should the ratings be a little bit better during baseball season, or is radio just dead?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Jbi11s wrote:
Should the ratings be a little bit better during baseball season, or is radio just dead?

Deader than Kelsey's nuts, motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:

We're looking at the most macro number possible (6+, 6a-midnight), but it's possible that the Cubs are drawing a big audience that doesn't stick around for regular programming, and that Jason Nation has left the station.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's pretty clear that Jason Goff is never going to get over this.

It's a shame that Goff thinks the only reason he got fired was because of Kapernick/race talk. He had other flaws. He needs to realize it. It's the only way he'll improve and not get fired again. He never will. Too proud. Too stubborn. Too cocky.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:41 pm 

So what we are all trying to say is McNeil and Parkins is not noticeably better than B&G so far?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Did Parkins just say Oprah is an all-time great actress?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Beardown wrote:
It's pretty clear that Jason Goff is never going to get over this.

It's a shame that Goff thinks the only reason he got fired was because of Kapernick/race talk. He had other flaws. He needs to realize it. It's the only way he'll improve and not get fired again. He never will. Too proud. Too stubborn. Too cocky.

He is NEVER going to understand, telling the customer to stop listening if they don't like it, might be a bad idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:54 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
So about that supposed Cubs bump? :lol:

Not to mention McNeil and his ever effervescent off season football talk. I thought Chicago would be clamoring to get a steady dose of that.

Paint us a picture Hillary
https://youtu.be/RWoHV0w051s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
Without Jason around, I've been susceptible to the argument that LeBron Damn James is bad. Without Jason to tell us so, how will people realize LeBron Damn James is Actually Good?

I could picture him being all smarmy and condescending about how LeBron "doesn't owe Cleveland a goddamn thing" and defending how he wants to do the Lakers move for his kid/s and his brand/s and he's EARNED IT so all the haters can sit on a tack cuz this is LeBron Damn James and, like Eric Cartman before him, he does what he wants!

And then those of us who go far back enough could dream about Dan calling him out for being on the board of the LeBron asslicking society / ALS. But of course that'd never happen!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Jbi11s wrote:
So what we are all trying to say is McNeil and Parkins is not noticeably better than B&G so far?

The rating are up over a point. I assume that means something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:45 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I could picture him being all smarmy and condescending about how LeBron "doesn't owe Cleveland a goddamn thing" and defending how he wants to do the Lakers move for his kid/s and his brand/s and he's EARNED IT so all the haters can sit on a tack cuz this is LeBron Damn James and, like Eric Cartman before him, he does what he wants!

And then those of us who go far back enough could dream about Dan calling him out for being on the board of the LeBron asslicking society / ALS. But of course that'd never happen!

Jason's stance on L'affaire Boogie is, predictably, that anyone who takes issue with the Warriors loading up like this just doesn't want black men to make money. I don't doubt that there are people who feel that way. We call them "middle-aged college basketball fans." But I'm pretty sure you can care about the NBA, want its players to be paid well, and still not like the feel of the Warriors adding Cousins and basically fielding an all-star team all year (or as soon as Cousins can play). I think Jason got to the "black man get yo money" line in "This Is America" and started weeping.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Up over a point compared to B&G at the same point last year?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Franky T wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

It means folks that accepted the invitation to leave, have started to return.

We will see if they are sampling, or staying, soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Jbi11s wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Up over a point compared to B&G at the same point last year?

Since their last ratings book I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
If Goff is chirping his bank account is hurtin!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
This guy Jeff Agrest has a serious hard on for deCastro.

Lots of loaded stuff in here, the two things that stand out the most:

deCastro wants to make the score "younger and hipper" (even though he hired Dinosaur McNeil)

Bernstein is "rejuvenated and far better" (obvious shot at Goff).

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/spo ... 1531441357

Quote:
Sports media: DeCastro discusses Score changes, which are a hit in ratings book

Jimmy deCastro is 2-for-2.

DeCastro, who oversees 670 The Score, has hit on two new combinations for the midday and afternoon shows. Despite initial fan furor on social media regarding the changes, which began March 14, the spring ratings book (March 29-June 20) released this week shows the station handily ahead of its sports-talk competitor, ESPN 1000.

DeCastro will be tested again with his upcoming change on the morning show, removing Score original and former Sun-Times reporter Brian Hanley. The summer ratings book comes out Sept. 12, and it will be interesting to see if deCastro can go 3-for-3.

But the numbers back up his first two moves at The Score since taking over as senior vice president and market manager of Entercom’s seven Chicago radio stations. In the key demographic of men 25-54, Dan Bernstein and Connor McKnight led their midday time slot 4.2-3.4, and Dan McNeil and Danny Parkins led theirs in the afternoon 5.1-4.4. The Score hadn’t beaten ESPN 1000 in the afternoon in more than two years.

Taking Hanley out of the “Mully and Hanley” show with Mike Mulligan might be the riskiest move of the three. They have consistently walloped ESPN’s national show, winning the spring book 6.9-2.7. In fact, the show was second in the market overall (behind Mexican regional station WOJO-FM 105.1) and first in the winter book.

“We don’t make decisions in a vacuum,” deCastro said. “This isn’t deCastro riding in on a horse with a black hat on and an eye patch on going, ‘I’m going to shoot it up with AM-1000.’ That’s not the way we do things. We analyze it, we research it. We think it through. Will we take risks? Yes. That’s why we’re successful.”

Tribune columnist David Haugh is the favorite to replace Hanley. DeCastro said Haugh, who has been a regular fill-in on the show, hasn’t been hired yet. He said the station still is talking to others but is working to bring Haugh into the fold full-time. DeCastro said it’s important to the station that Hanley, whose last regular show likely will be July 27, stays “part of the family.”

Considering The Score’s lead in the time slot and lack of local competition, it might not miss a beat. But Mulligan and Hanley have been working mornings together for more than a decade, and they’ve built a loyal following. You have to wonder how listeners will accept another change.

DeCastro is undaunted.

“The simple facts are, our overall audience is 2½ times what [ESPN 1000] is, having nothing to do with Cubs baseball,” said deCastro, whose station is the Cubs’ flagship. “The facts are that there are many more listeners that like what we’re doing, and there are more listeners now that like what we’re doing than what we were doing [before].”

Haugh’s assumed ascension has led some to believe deCastro is trying to turn The Score into The Game, the sports station he created as president of WGN Radio that lasted nine months in 2014. Haugh and McKnight appeared on what was WGWG-LP 87.7, a low-powered TV station heard on the FM dial. Haugh hosted mornings with current ESPN 1000 host David Kaplan on a show that was simulcast on then-Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

“It’s ridiculous,” deCastro said of the belief. “The Game was a pure experiment of a television format to try and drive some imaging on FM. It was a horrible signal. All we were trying to do was be younger and different. Kap and Haugh together on TV and radio was really great. I want to replace that model. I intend to do that with The Score.”

So what’s the impetus behind all of these changes? It has to do with the competition even before deCastro arrived, and it has to do with The Score itself.

“I think [ESPN 1000], before I got here, tried to become the fun station,” deCastro said. “Ever since I’ve been here, it’s a different air of driving to a much more friendly and a much happier and quite frankly younger audience.

“It isn’t about play-by-play baseball. Play-by-play is one part of it that can help drive marketing for your station. We have repositioned The Score as the younger, more fun, hipper radio station only seven months into that repositioning.”

DeCastro talked about Entercom’s desire to “play offense” rather than wait for changes to become necessary. He spoke of “playing the hits.” In other words, sticking to sports. And he talked about “being everywhere,” engaging listeners on multiple platforms.

“Bernstein’s rejuvenated and far better, and they’re talking sports,” deCastro said. “And McKnight is challenging him on wit and challenging him on the knowledge that they both have. They’re really improving. And I still think [‘McNeil and Parkins’] hasn’t hit its stride yet.”

“Why did I make the changes? We needed to be young, we needed to have more fun. Our cross talks explode now. We needed more content to be able to drive. I’m deeply down in trying to continue to make this hipper and younger and better and engage people in more and different ways.”

Remote patrol

Score original Terry Boers returns to the station Monday through Wednesday, reuniting with Dan McNeil on the afternoon show while Danny Parkins is on vacation. Boers and McNeil formed the successful “Heavy Fuel Crew” at the station in the 1990s.
Jeff Agrest
Follow me on Twitter @jeffreya22
Email: jagrest@suntimes.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:47 pm 

spmack wrote:
Bernstein is "rejuvenated and far better" (obvious shot at Goff).

i'm amazed you didn't use the whole quote because right after where you cut it off = the obvious shots at goff:

“Bernstein’s rejuvenated and far better, and they’re talking sports,” deCastro said. “And McKnight is challenging him on wit and challenging him on the knowledge that they both have. They’re really improving. And I still think [‘McNeil and Parkins’] hasn’t hit its stride yet.”

so if you wanna get technical, jimmy D just called him a dumb witless SJW whose incapable of "challenging" bernstein intellectually and comedically. of course there's a lot of "who ya crappin?" in that statement cuz mcdoink seems to have an "awww shucks, you're right dan!" factor that at least rivals Laurence Himself, and i can't think of any intentional comedy that conor has done that hasn't come off as some kind of forced/contrived pun, but hey you know just take it from a guy who is trying to prove a point: they're really improving!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
DeCastro is right. I think the kinder gentler Bernstein is a lot better than the beating the callers into submission Bernstein. He's probably my favorite personality on the Score, but back in the Boers and Bernstein days I would have to hit the dial sometimes when he would just not let a caller off the mat. It was embarrassing for the caller and embarrassing for him. I want the Bernstein creativity and I want the Bernstein wit, but I can do without the Bernstein hostility.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I am looking forward to Goff's comments on this latest column.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 pm 

spmack wrote:
I am looking forward to Goff's comments on this latest column.

if you wanna get conspiratorial he could be doing some kind of ultra-high-level-sarcasm with his most recent tweet:

@Jason1Goff
21m21 minutes ago
More Say Bruh Metrics Retweeted Dan Rather
Dan's pen still undisputed.

Say Bruh Metrics added,

@DanRather
I cherish taking leisurely strolls with my wife Jean at twilight. My steps are getting slower and increasingly I have another journey on my mind—the one into eternity. But the joy—the sheer, unadulterated joy—of a hand-in-hand , slow walk as evening shadows fall never ceases.
1 reply 1 retweet 23 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 1 Like 23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

Wow. DeCastro really hated Goff. He kept Spiegel around. Plans on keeping Hanley around. But blames Goff for everything and voided his contract. He loves taking shots at Goff. Racist bastard.

And he's wrong. McDoink couldn't challenge anybody. Let alone Bernstein. Bernstein isn't rejuvenated. He's scared and neutered. So he's being nicer and sticking to sports cuz he knows that's what his master wants. I'm sure it wasn't said to him. But Bernstein knows if he continued what he was doing, DeCastro would fire his ass once his contract is up.

Goff is about the same age as McDoink and McNeil is about 10 years older then Spiegel. So Decastro sounds like an idiot when he says the SCORE got younger.