It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Inside the Clubhouse
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: No Place
HawaiiYou wrote:

The magic is they stick to talking baseball and sports.

Oh shut up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
HawaiiYou wrote:
listened to today's show on podcast.

Today's show is VERY VERY GOOD. Probably the best show on the score I've heard in years. Yes Years!

The magic is they stick to talking baseball and sports.

I can tolerate Levine's company line bs but Speigel ruins any show he's on with his sensitive guy, ultra left, I'm a minority because I'm fat, constant sighing, and hmms when he disagrees with someone. What he and Parkins did attacking Daniel Murphy on his Cubs signing day was a disgrace. I can see a pc mention, but they went into attack mode like Julie. I actually didn't mind him with North, but he got way too comfy, and too big for his britches and should have been shrewder or he'd still be in the catbird seat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:59 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
vitoscotti wrote:
I actually didn't mind him with North, but he got way too comfy, and too big for his britches and should have been shrewder or he'd still be in the catbird seat.

?

He was fired from his gig because DeCastro wanted Mac. And he didn't work with North.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:16 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
I actually didn't mind him with North, but he got way too comfy, and too big for his britches and should have been shrewder or he'd still be in the catbird seat.

?

He was fired from his gig because DeCastro wanted Mac. And he didn't work with North.

Way more to the story why he was demoted. He was on North's show for a while. He wasn't an official co-host with North.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:23 am 

Huh. Did not remember him on North's show but I stopped listening during the Maxfield debacle.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
Imaginary radio.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Cover for firing Goff.

I think McKnight is dead man walking and that Bernstein-Spiegel is the next pairing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:07 am 

Polecat666 wrote:
Imaginary radio.

Hey pussy boy....North talking about working with Speigel at about 3:20

https://omny.fm/shows/interviews-on-670 ... escription

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
Cover for firing Goff.

I think McKnight is dead man walking and that Bernstein-Spiegel is the next pairing.

I hope to god, Mcknight is gone. He is like the vanilla of vanilla, talking by doesn't say anything.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Listening this morning and of course Spiegs and Levine were talking Harper & Machado.

Neither is signing anything this weekend. The Super Bowl won't be knocked off the front page.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 am 

Not afraid to say that I'm loving this weekly show. Nine out of ten Saturday mornings I am in my studio working and enjoy this very much.

Very good news/information/stories about our two favorite teams from a certain midwest city.

Matt Spiegel and Bruce Levine are perfect together talking about the national past time.

Spiegel is in his zone when discussing all things "baseball". Unlike MANY, I enjoy Bruce Levine and am a fan of passion.

Matt is and always been passionate about baseball and I've always admired that about him.

By the way - pitchers & catchers report on Tuesday. 8)

"Baseball"...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:57 pm 

Listened to Murph a little this morning and it's his usual one interesting topic after another hashed a round by him and Fred in a fast pace but not too fast. Then later put on Speigel & Rosenbloom. What a difference, dry, slow paced, Speigel bowing to the sabermetrics gods. Then Mark Gonzalez joins in with his no opinions. Speigel to me stifles Rosenblooms terrific zaniness.

It picked up when "Steve from Elmhurst" called saying he wanted infielders on the infield. Never got if Steve was anti shift full blown. They didn't give him 20 seconds before they interrupted him and he never got a chance to thoroughly present his opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:47 am 

Shuster filled in for Speigel Saturday 3/16 with Levine. Much better show without Speigel's bs. Took quite a few good calls and let them speak.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:22 am 

Shuster pinch hitting for Spiegel again today.

Levine and Shuster telling stories of the first time they attended an actual game in person.

Been to MANY Southside games as a very young yoot with pops and nonno. The first one I vividly recall is Cubs vs Mets at Wrigley ca. 1975. Bolingbrook Park District Bus day trip for only $5.

Walking up those steps and feeling the cool breeze and seeing that green grass and ivy mixed with the bright red brick was amazing. The clean white and blue pinstripes of the uniforms and colorful hats were a feast for eyes.

Sat in the bleachers with friends under the scoreboard watching the Mets score 5 to the Cubs 0.

I know we probably did this before but anyone else care to share?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I saw Hank Aaron at Wrigley Field.

Cubs lost. :lol:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Godfella wrote:

Levine and Shuster telling stories of the first time they attended an actual game in person.

Been to MANY Southside games as a very young yoot with pops and nonno. The first one I vividly recall is Cubs vs Mets at Wrigley ca. 1975. Bolingbrook Park District Bus day trip for only $5.

Walking up those steps and feeling the cool breeze and seeing that green grass and ivy mixed with the bright red brick was amazing. The clean white and blue pinstripes of the uniforms and colorful hats were a feast for eyes.

Sat in the bleachers with friends under the scoreboard watching the Mets score 5 to the Cubs 0.

First game I went to was when I was 10 in 1989; my dad took me and my brother to Wrigley Field to see Cubs/Expos. I still remember Dave Martinez batting in that game.

First Sox game I went to was the last night game at Old Comiskey; my dad took me and my brother to that as well. Sat behind one of the columns, didn't see much of the game; I remember how shitty (pun intended) the bathrooms were.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I know my first game because a rare event happened at that game: Paul Popovich hit a grand slam. Old Popo was a .233/.286/.292 juggernaut for his career, so even a young Chet knew that him hitting a grand slam was an unusual event.

9/11/71. Cubs 7 Cardinals 0. A bright spot in a 5-15 swoon that dumped them from 2nd into 4th place.

It was a quick game - 2 hours 2 minutes, and the next day they got crushed by Bob Gibson in an hour and 48.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
FrankDrebin wrote:
Godfella wrote:

First game I went to was when I was 10 in 1989; my dad took me and my brother to Wrigley Field to see Cubs/Expos. I still remember Dave Martinez batting in that game.

First Sox game I went to was the last night game at Old Comiskey; my dad took me and my brother to that as well. Sat behind one of the columns, didn't see much of the game; I remember how shitty (pun intended) the bathrooms were.
au

August 6th of 83 is the earliest game I can date being at but I remember an Ivan Dejesus game as well but barely so I’m not sure it’s s real memory. Fergie Jenkins pitched, cubs lost 4-1 which isn’t surprising or memorable. What is memorable is all 4 Mets runs were scored on two home runs hit by opposing pitcher.

My earliest Sox memory was Ozzie getting thrown out at third by 10 feet trying to stretch a double into a triple early in his career.

Last edited by Drunk Squirrel on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:32 am 

Indians V Sox in 77 was my first game.

78 V Reds first Cubs game.

Kingman hit a HR in his first AB which was all I cared about. Cubs got shelled.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 am 

Shuster & Levine work well together. Up the dial Murph & Fred delve more deeply, with more opinions. Both good shows.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Godfella wrote:

Every kid has the same impression. Especially the old parks where you go from a cramped and dingy concourse below to the vast expanse of greenness. The Going To Heaven metaphor is apt. Also something very appealing about the crack of the bat. It's a fantastic sound.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:26 am 

A common thread of everyone's first game was the pureness of the game yesteryear. You could see a pichers duel where both pitchers pitched complete games. Superstars played only one position. Slap hitting base stealers lead off. Power hitters drove in runs, not bat at the beginning of the order hence following the 8, 9 guys later on in the game. Managers didn't disrupt the flow of the game micromanaging. The game was similar to our dad's era game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:28 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
I saw Hank Aaron at Wrigley Field.

Cubs lost. :lol:

That's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:02 am 

One of the first Sox games I can remember well was in the summer of 1976.

For some reason it was a morning start time against the Rangers. I remember Chet Lemon leading off in center field and Bucky Dent at shortstop. We lost 3-0.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 am 

Game 1 of a Sunday doubleheader vs. Minnesota in 71. The Sox lost and was so packed that my dad got really annoyed by a young me walking up and down the aisle trying to root the Sox into a rally. And the popcorn that came in a box kids all used as a megaphone. There were people hanging on every rail and it was almost a relief to watch game two on television at my grandfather's house 6-7 blocks away.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:34 am 

I can't remember much about the first Sox game I attended because I was young but I do recall the red pinstriped uniforms for sure.

Also, the yellow railings that sectioned off seating areas that I crawled under repeatedly as a pesky yoot. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:05 pm 

Godfella wrote:
I can't remember much about the first Sox game I attended because I was young but I do recall the red pinstriped uniforms for sure.

Also, the yellow railings that sectioned off seating areas that I crawled under repeatedly as a pesky yoot. :lol:

Ahhh, the Box Seats. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Regular Reader wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Ahhh, the Box Seats. :lol:

Haha. Golden Box.

Has a whole other meaning to me now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Spiegel is taking over Hit and Run, no surprise there

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:23 am 

Schuster sitting in for Spiegel this morning with Levine.

Good Coppock stories with Denny McClain and John McDonough.