It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Barstool Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
We live in a time where it's easy to get people to pay for content as pointless as comments on a post.

And yet, Julie DiCaro.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
We live in a time where it's easy to get people to pay for content as pointless as comments on a post.

And yet, Julie DiCaro.
Julie is trying to get picked out of a VERY large chorus of content, whereas Barstool has to compete with....OutkickTheCoverage, maybe, for the dude-centric sports fan dollar. Thousands of places output content with Julie's exact ideological hue, but they do it better, more often and reliably. What's more, outlets like ESPN are driving fans—MANY of whom are male—away from their content with unmitigated disasters like The 6. I can't think of a dyed in the wool liberal media outlet that is doing the same with liberals, even sports fans who are liberal.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:31 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Disabling comments because too many stoolies are racist! :lol:

They are brand loyal though.

and watch the comments end up returning as a Gold perk.

Dave will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Another thing to note re traffic, Barstool has spent the last 2 years encouraging people to use their app so the most loyal stoolies are consuming their content via means outside of the regular site.

I don't think Deadpsin has an app.

If Barstool can monetize their fans desire to use the n word they may be worth a billion dollars.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Barstool will team up with a former Patriots player to start "Next BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP Up," a program where you can use the n-word but have to buy an indulgence each time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:
There is no comparable "core base" for deadspin in terms of size and consistent site interaction (as evidenced by average numbers comments per article and twitter replies per site tweet.

Let me know how much revenue Barstool gets from comments per article and twitter replies per site tweet.

Deadspin has higher ad revenue from a more active website. You may discuss brand loyalty all you want...maybe Barstool sells a lot of bumper stickers. But Deadspin simply has more traffic, and more ad impressions. Furthermore, Deadspin has the entire Gizmodo Media Group behind it. The commission revenue from Kinja Deals alone is significant.

How many Barstool Gold subscriptions have they sold for $100 / year?

Oh yeah they have the mighty Gizmodo Media Group behind them, which just laid off 15-20% of their workforce (including 20% of Deadspin's staff) :lol:

Meanwhile, Barstool is hiring and expanding. The new Chicago branch is a symbol of that expansion.

Tell me, which company is actually generating revenue growth and a profit?

heck, Univision is looking to possibly unload GMG, and they won't get anywhere near what investors would pay for Barstool. In fact, Gizmodo has imploded so much over the last few years that Univisoin is going to take a hefty loss when all is said and done.

As for Barstool Gold subs, Barstool reported that 81% of the subscriptions purchased have been for the $100/year package. I'm not even among them as I've been too busy to listen to much Barstool content over the last few months as I'm in my busy season. I expect I'll be buying the subscription in a few months when I actually have time to utilize it.

https://medium.com/@sku_67047/how-kinja ... 69d3e7a952

https://digiday.com/media/gizmodo-media ... inventory/

You think small, or you're clueless as to what GMG's actual revenue streams are.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
IMU wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:
There is no comparable "core base" for deadspin in terms of size and consistent site interaction (as evidenced by average numbers comments per article and twitter replies per site tweet.

Let me know how much revenue Barstool gets from comments per article and twitter replies per site tweet.

Deadspin has higher ad revenue from a more active website. You may discuss brand loyalty all you want...maybe Barstool sells a lot of bumper stickers. But Deadspin simply has more traffic, and more ad impressions. Furthermore, Deadspin has the entire Gizmodo Media Group behind it. The commission revenue from Kinja Deals alone is significant.

Oh yeah they have the mighty Gizmodo Media Group behind them, which just laid off 15-20% of their workforce (including 20% of Deadspin's staff) :lol:

Meanwhile, Barstool is hiring and expanding. The new Chicago branch is a symbol of that expansion.

heck, Univision is looking to possibly unload GMG, and they won't get anywhere near what investors would pay for Barstool. In fact, Gizmodo has imploded so much over the last few years that Univisoin is going to take a hefty loss when all is said and done.

As for Barstool Gold subs, Barstool reported that 81% of the subscriptions purchased have been for the $100/year package. I'm not even among them as I've been too busy to listen to much Barstool content over the last few months as I'm in my busy season. I expect I'll be buying the subscription in a few months when I actually have time to utilize it.

You think small, or you're clueless as to what GMG's actual revenue streams are.

So to bolster your argument you brought up an article from May saying Gizmodo was expanding (they laid off 20% of their work force less than 2 months after that article) and then brought up a Medium post, which mentions nothing about their actual revenue. It's a fluff piece with no data. I should add that Medium is pretty much The Cauldron (remember that?) of "news" sites in that just about anyone can contribute to it without any editing.

Since those two pieces were written, Univision has been trying to sell Gizmodo with no buyers. https://www.rbr.com/is-univision-stuck- ... d-gizmodo/

Quote:
Univision’s Gizmodo Media Group, which is very much on the market, apparently lacks a suitable suitor.

That’s according to unnamed sources who are chatting with Alexandra Steigrad at America’s favorite tabloid, the New York Post.

Steigrad’s been on the media beat for the Post since December 2017, when she joined the publication following a 9 1/2-year stint at fashion publication WWD.

Sources she trusts are saying that Gizmodo, “the money-losing operator” of such digital news sites and blogs as Jezebel, Deadspin and The Onion are “still struggling to find a buyer” some six months after Hispanic consumer-focused Univision put Gizmodo up for sale.

In early December, according to Steigrad’s sources, “more than two” suitors submitted offers in a second round of bidding that began in late November.

But, it appears they are low bids, and Univision is still fishing for a big buyer.

IMU, I think it is you who is clueless in this discussion.

While Gizmodo implodes, Barstool continues to grow and is running a very profitable operation and continuing to find new ways to monetize their brand amongst loyal followers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I enjoy Spittin' Chiclets but haven't delved into their other shows

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:19 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:

Probably the best national hockey podcast, especially since I can't stand guys like Marek or Wysh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:28 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

Probably the best national hockey podcast, especially since I can't stand guys like Marek or Wysh.

Definitely the best interviews. Enjoyed the Theo Fleury one from this week.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:

So to bolster your argument you brought up an article from May saying Gizmodo was expanding (they laid off 20% of their work force less than 2 months after that article) and then brought up a Medium post, which mentions nothing about their actual revenue. It's a fluff piece with no data. I should add that Medium is pretty much The Cauldron (remember that?) of "news" sites in that just about anyone can contribute to it without any editing.

Since those two pieces were written, Univision has been trying to sell Gizmodo with no buyers. https://www.rbr.com/is-univision-stuck- ... d-gizmodo/

Quote:
Univision’s Gizmodo Media Group, which is very much on the market, apparently lacks a suitable suitor.

That’s according to unnamed sources who are chatting with Alexandra Steigrad at America’s favorite tabloid, the New York Post.

Steigrad’s been on the media beat for the Post since December 2017, when she joined the publication following a 9 1/2-year stint at fashion publication WWD.

Sources she trusts are saying that Gizmodo, “the money-losing operator” of such digital news sites and blogs as Jezebel, Deadspin and The Onion are “still struggling to find a buyer” some six months after Hispanic consumer-focused Univision put Gizmodo up for sale.

In early December, according to Steigrad’s sources, “more than two” suitors submitted offers in a second round of bidding that began in late November.

But, it appears they are low bids, and Univision is still fishing for a big buyer.

While Gizmodo implodes, Barstool continues to grow and is running a very profitable operation and continuing to find new ways to monetize their brand amongst loyal followers.

From your same source:

Quote:
Steigrad says Gizmodo has annual revenue of $70 million to $80 million.

Do you think Barstool sniffs that? lol The best guesses found by financial analysts around the internet seem to say between $5M and $20M per year.

You're guessing that they are turning a profit currently. I'm guessing they are not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 pm 

IMU wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
IMU wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:

Quote:

From your same source:

Quote:
Steigrad says Gizmodo has annual revenue of $70 million to $80 million.

Do you think Barstool sniffs that? lol The best guesses found by financial analysts around the internet seem to say between $5M and $20M per year.

You're guessing that they are turning a profit currently. I'm guessing they are not.

The sources you consulted don't know shit. They are earning far more than that. Barstool did over $5 million in merchandise on Black Friday alone. I don't think you realize all of their streams of revenue. They have their website, their app, their merch, live comedy shows, RnR shows (plus ppv), live sports gambling shows, and now Barstool Gold. They are very different from your traditional digital media company as few digital media companies make tens of millions per year on high margin merchandise.

The fact still remains that Gizmodo is losing money, probably from the fact they have too much bloat and few sources of revenue that don't extend beyond those you typically find in other digital media companies. they are reliant upon ads and we know that online ads are not enough to sustain a company. The layoffs and Univision's inability to sell the company tell the story.

If Chernin wanted to sell Barstool tomorrow, he would get more for it than has been offered to Univision for Gizmodo.

This a tale of 2 companies, one of them is growing, the other is slowly dying. I think we know which one is which.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:
As such, to many readers, the Barstool personalities feel a lot more relatable and "common-man-esque."

Great, they're still all trust fund kids just like Deadspin.

Do you get the impression Drew Magary and Albert Burneko are trust fund kids?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:
As such, to many readers, the Barstool personalities feel a lot more relatable and "common-man-esque."

Didn't Drew go to an elite boarding school in New England?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:

I know he went to school in NE but I never got the impression he grew up rich. Always seemed like a middle class guy like most here.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FrankDrebin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

Where can i find that Frank.

Theo was definitely one of the most interesting NHL characters i ever worked with.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:00 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

Where can i find that Frank.

Theo was definitely one of the most interesting NHL characters i ever worked with.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/s ... -matt-luff

It's in the second half of the episode, after the other interview.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

This a tale of 2 companies, one of them is growing, the other is slowly dying. I think we know which one is which.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Many of the same 20 and 30-something year olds that are listening to Barstool now will have their preferences change as they get older. How many of us in our 30s and 40s and older were rabid sports fans in their 20s but now watch less sports and desire a more mature show without the shock-antics that it sounds like Barstool specializes in? I also question how sports radio will adjust due to the onset of podcasts and the overall number of choices that exist nowadays but I don't really question whether there will be a market for the type of shows that are on the Score today.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
DAC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Many of the same 20 and 30-something year olds that are listening to Barstool now will have their preferences change as they get older. How many of us in our 30s and 40s and older were rabid sports fans in their 20s but now watch less sports and desire a more mature show without the shock-antics that it sounds like Barstool specializes in?

A show like PMT will transcend this eventual scenario. Luckily for Barstool their biggest draw Big Cat is financially invested so he won't jump ship (at least you'd think).

Barstool's main issue is MANY people are PMT fans (like myself) but have zero interest in the Barstool brand (like myself). When PMT lost their ESPN show you could tell the uncomfortable realization Big Cat and PFT had when that shit went down. Their show is bigger than Barstool but they're tied to the specific brand's success equity wise (Big Cat at least, no idea about PFT)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:37 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
DAC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Many of the same 20 and 30-something year olds that are listening to Barstool now will have their preferences change as they get older. How many of us in our 30s and 40s and older were rabid sports fans in their 20s but now watch less sports and desire a more mature show without the shock-antics that it sounds like Barstool specializes in?

A show like PMT will transcend this eventual scenario. Luckily for Barstool their biggest draw Big Cat is financially invested so he won't jump ship (at least you'd think).

Barstool's main issue is MANY people are PMT fans (like myself) but have zero interest in the Barstool brand (like myself). When PMT lost their ESPN show you could tell the uncomfortable realization Big Cat and PFT had when that shit went down. Their show is bigger than Barstool but they're tied to the specific brand's success equity wise (Big Cat at least, no idea about PFT)

ESPN will poach one or both. If not them then FS1.

They probably don't own that much now that Chernin Group bought even more after already being majority owner.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
The people on this site are not a good barometer for where the direction of sports talk radio is headed. We are all much more of a fan of sports radio and podcasting than the average sports fan. Look no further than the fact that the Score's morning show gets the best ratings yet it is talked about the least on this site. Most of us would say it is a bland, meat and potatoes show yet that is what gives the Score its best ratings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:23 am 

Interviews like this are why Barstool Chicago is a treasure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:01 pm 

I meant to post this earlier. Great interview with Whitney and Biznasty

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/redlin ... oplay=true

Whitney admits Mike Smith took a dive when Shaw hit him in 2012 during the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:

I know he went to school in NE but I never got the impression he grew up rich. Always seemed like a middle class guy like most here.

Drew went to Colby College. Where'd you play your Social Justice, pal?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
James B Conant with a guy who likes chili beans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:30 am 

Chief really tore the Hawks apart on the latest Redline episode.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:32 am 

Really enjoy the Barstool Chicago Bears' postgame episodes.

PMT's imitating NFL Primetime when recapping Sunday games is hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:
Really enjoy the Barstool Chicago Bears' postgame episodes.

PMT's imitating NFL Primetime when recapping Sunday games is hilarious.

Those are a highlight of my Monday mornings.