It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: DD214 Challenge
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Franky T wrote:
I thought The Hawk said he never claimed to have earned any Purple Hearts?

You thought wrong. FF lied and told people that I claimed two PHs. It was one which I stated clearly.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The Hawk wrote:
Franky T wrote:
I thought The Hawk said he never claimed to have earned any Purple Hearts?

You thought wrong. FF lied and told people that I claimed two PHs. It was one which I stated clearly.

The Hawk wrote:
I received one purple heart for an eye injury as a result of a rocket attack and two Bronze Stars, one for valor.

I already said I misspoke.

Let's hurry this process up Hawk. As others have noted, this isn't a days long task. Put up or shut the fuck up.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:53 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If I don't hear it was verified by tomorrow I'm ready to give FF the win here.

The Hawk is probably trying to get the documents from the same places that makes you an ordained minister or gives you ownership of a star.

Eat shit, loser.

When are you going to finish looking through your boxes?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
One, three, ten, whatever. Take a couple pics and send them to JOrr. Instead of insulting people, take 90seconds to prove yourself.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
If he had the awards and purple hearts he said he did, I would expect those to be on display or readily available.

My grandfather had a purple heart from a would he received from a FW190 that shot thru his oxygen mask and took out part of his face. He never talked about it, wouldn't talk about it (other than him telling my dad once that he watched thousands of people die as their bombs landed... he was a tail gunner). All his medals were found in a shoe box in his attic when we cleaned out the house.
Hes got a lot of medals and ribbons. I dont know what most of them mean but he must have been a real motherfucker cause theres quite a few of them.
Anyhow. Not everyone displays medals and ribbons. He hid them.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
If he had the awards and purple hearts he said he did, I would expect those to be on display or readily available.

My grandfather had a purple heart from a would he received from a FW190 that shot thru his oxygen mask and took out part of his face. He never talked about it, wouldn't talk about it (other than him telling my dad once that he watched thousands of people die as their bombs landed... he was a tail gunner). All his medals were found in a shoe box in his attic when we cleaned out the house.
Hes got a lot of medals and ribbons. I dont know what most of them mean but he must have been a real motherfucker cause theres quite a few of them.

Was he posting on the internet about them?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

Right. Not everybody talks about them. But it sounds like your grandfather was nothing like The Hawk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:00 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Right. Not everybody talks about them. But it sounds like your grandfather was nothing like The Hawk.

:lol:
No. He was a very quiet and reserved man. He died when I was 10 so I really dont remember much about him other than he loved white Russians, the Cubs, and knockin down ducks. During the season we'd have a few roast ducks. Legit chow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:02 pm 

In fact, I've got his jacket and his patches and wings in a sealed box in my closet. The jacket sint in great shape but the patches and wings look pretty damn cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Johnie's
Darkside wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol:
No. He was a very quiet and reserved man. He died when I was 10 so I really dont remember much about him other than he loved white Russians, the Cubs, and knockin down ducks. During the season we'd have a few roast ducks. Legit chow.

Your granddad sounds a little like a good friend of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:03 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Was he posting on the internet about them?

He died in 87. So... no.
But I understand what you're saying. If he were still alive today hed probably still have em in a box and never speak of his service time. My pops said he asked all the time and gramps wouldn't talk about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:05 pm 

Panther is still trying to convince his brother in law to pose for the picture

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
Panther is still trying to convince his brother in law to pose for the picture

:lol: Soon as Amazon delivers the MAGA hat and the fake beard, he'll send the pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm 

Darkside wrote:
He died in 87. So... no.
But I understand what you're saying. If he were still alive today hed probably still have em in a box and never speak of his service time. My pops said he asked all the time and gramps wouldn't talk about it.
Yeah I get it. I wish I had gotten more stories from my grandparents about their time in war even if they left the really bad stuff out they really didn't want to talk about.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
My Dad did two tours. Tells all of two stories about it and a third aside. That's it. As a kid he showed us a slide show of pictures of villages and the people from his LZ. Never talked to my mom about it or anyone. They had a reunion and all of the guys underneath him that made it out were there and all talked about how messed up they were and how my dad should go talk to someone and get help.He was like "Why? I'm good." My dad is pretty neutral, non emotional guy. I'm sure this had an affect on him but my guess is his childhood had a bigger one (His dad was not a spare the rod kind of guy) My friend's Dad was served once. He had some medals. Never saw them but he would show you where he still had shrapnel from a mine that took out two of is squad. He had a different attitude about him although he eventually drank himself to death.

I find it all very interesting and I regret not talking to my Grandfather more about his service. He was a career guy and was at the Battle of the Bulge. My dad has told me a few stories of his but they had more to do with how he left the army or how fortune smiled on him when he got sick and missed a deployment twice. I don't know if it is generational, if it is their personalities or what but the captain and the Colonel just don't/didn't share. Of course that isn't limited to military service.

Last edited by Drunk Squirrel on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Could this be a story of a grief-stricken shut-in son taking on the life of his recently deceased father in a desperate attempt finally seek the approval he never received from said father, knowing that he has already forever lost the chance to look into the eyes of a proud dad?

I'd feel a little bad, I admit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
shakes wrote:
I haven't read the whole thread, but I gathered that Hawk was in the Vietnam war, saw combat and got 2 purple hearts whereas FF was in Desert Storm and might've run over a couple Iraqi's with his Humvee while racing through the desert to try and save an oil field.

Hawk wins this one in a landslide.

I believe FF was in during Operation Iraqi Freedom; he can clarify this of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:31 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
shakes wrote:
I haven't read the whole thread, but I gathered that Hawk was in the Vietnam war, saw combat and got 2 purple hearts whereas FF was in Desert Storm and might've run over a couple Iraqi's with his Humvee while racing through the desert to try and save an oil field.

Hawk wins this one in a landslide.

I believe FF was in during Operation Iraqi Freedom; he can clarify this of course.

I was in from 2008-2011 but never went overseas. Signed two signup sheets but I was in the Engineer corps and they didn’t need as many of those units at that point I guess. Being stuck in Louisiana for three years was more of a driving force in not re-enlisting than anything else.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Darkside wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Brings back disturbing memories for some, especially when he said the part about watching thousands of people die. My dad was in the medical field during the Vietnam; served in Korea and saw some of the injuries the Vietnam troops sustained. He wouldn't talk about what he saw.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
My old man also fought in Alsace-Ardennes, the Battle of the Bulge. Never talked about it much except little things here and there like how they got a real turkey dinner for Christmas but then had to pull back under heavy fire and didn't get to eat it. Also how he got sick from drinking Calvados or what they called applejack. Bill Gleason from The Sportswriters was in his division (the 103d) and they sat together and talked White Sox baseball at one of the reunions. I remember my dad being excited about that.

He got out and attended DePaul on the G.I. Bill. He was going to be a chemistry professor. He was only a few hours short of his Bachelor's and he got recalled for Korea. Because he had already served overseas in WWII he was able to select the Air Force and got to stay stateside during the war. He helped open up and manage the commissary at Rantoul. But he always wore the cactus patch on his Air Force uniform. He told me if anyone ever asked about it, he said, "I earned it." When he was ready to be discharged he had almost seven years in between his two stints and considered being a career man, but then he thought, "Nah, this sucks." So he came back to Chicago and went back to DePaul but he felt weird because this time he was really a lot older than everyone else. So he said, "Fuck it, I better go get a job." He walked in a bank and applied as a teller.

He also had a bunch of medals. I still have them. I don't know what all of them are. I have the Bronze Star in the original box though. One thing he told me was that the only one that mattered to him at all was the Combat Infantryman's badge. He said it was the only one that counted. A couple years ago I read Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried and in it O'Brien writes about the Combat Infantryman's badge in almost exactly the same words my dad used. I kind of got a chill.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:47 pm 

The Things They Carried is phenomenal

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
My dad signed up for the National Guard to avoid going to Vietnam. He's my hero.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
FavreFan wrote:

Loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
leashyourkids wrote:
My dad signed up for the National Guard to avoid going to Vietnam. He's my hero.

After my Dad's first tour he re upped before talking to my mom because he didn't know what else he was going to do with his life (Or something like that). My mom said that was the maddest she has ever been at him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

I think I've posted this here before, but my Mom's dad and his brother were both on the ground in Europe during WWII. Both were captured by Nazi's and marched across Europe. One day, as a few different groups of prisoners were taking a much needed break, that the two of them ran into each other. What a feeling that must have been for the both of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think I've posted this here before, but my Mom's dad and his brother were both on the ground in Europe during WWII. Both were captured by Nazi's and marched across Europe. One day, as a few different groups of prisoners were taking a much needed break, that the two of them ran into each other. What a feeling that must have been for the both of them.

That's a crazy story!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Great stories. Jorr your Dad is correct for a infantryman a CIB is huge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
My Dad was a PFC in the Army during World War 2.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Peoria Matt wrote:
My Dad was a PFC in the Army during World War 2.

PFC, the rank so great FF earned it three times. :lol: :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
FavreFan wrote:

Yeah, that was. His other Nam books were great, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 62  Next