It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: DD214 Challenge
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Peoria Matt wrote:
My Dad was a PFC in the Army during World War 2.

My grandpa not only served in France in WWI but also served in the US Border War, where we went into Mexico and chased around Pancho Villa. He said there was much more alcohol in Mexico than in France. I also had several relatives who fought proudly in WWII, one of them even for the Allies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
tommy wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

My grandpa not only served in France in WWI but also served in the US Border War, where we went into Mexico and chased around Pancho Villa. He said there was much more alcohol in Mexico than in France. I also had several relatives who fought proudly in WWII, one of them even for the Allies.

My ex-wife's stepfather was a Marine officer and was stationed in Okinawa. He actually served in Vietnam in the late 50s. When he came home to Evanston they threw a party for him and some older people asked where he had been. When he said Vietnam nobody really knew exactly where it was. When he told them they were fighting a war over there the people looked at him like he was crazy.

Anyway, this guy was a big military history buff. He visited Normandy with my ex-mother-in-law and we never heard the end of it. We were in business together and had a giant year in like 1999 or 2000. My wife and I were going to spend Christmas and New Year's at his place in Key West so I thought a nice gift was in order.

I went to Bookman's Alley to look for something and I found a book about Pershing, I'm not sure if it was by him or just about him, but it was a first edition and signed by Pershing himself. It cost $2500 or maybe even $3000 but I bought it. When I brought it up to the desk in front, the proprietor, Roger Carlson said, "I've been wondering when someone was going to buy the General."

Sometimes I wonder where that book is now, if my ex-mother-in-law still has it or if it ended up in the garbage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
My dad was in the Navy & ended up stationed in Japan at the tail end of WWII. He said it was a lot like McHales Navy at that point. Beer stashed throughout the ship.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Found this little tidbit about purple hearts and found it interesting...
During World War II, 1,506,000 Purple Heart medals were manufactured in anticipation of the estimated casualties resulting from the planned Allied invasion of Japan. By the end of the war, even accounting for medals lost, stolen or wasted, nearly 500,000 remained. To the present date, total combined American military casualties of the seventy years following the end of World War II—including the Korean and Vietnam Wars—have not exceeded that number.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My old man also fought in Alsace-Ardennes, the Battle of the Bulge. Never talked about it much except little things here and there like how they got a real turkey dinner for Christmas but then had to pull back under heavy fire and didn't get to eat it. Also how he got sick from drinking Calvados or what they called applejack. Bill Gleason from The Sportswriters was in his division (the 103d) and they sat together and talked White Sox baseball at one of the reunions. I remember my dad being excited about that.

He got out and attended DePaul on the G.I. Bill. He was going to be a chemistry professor. He was only a few hours short of his Bachelor's and he got recalled for Korea. Because he had already served overseas in WWII he was able to select the Air Force and got to stay stateside during the war. He helped open up and manage the commissary at Rantoul. But he always wore the cactus patch on his Air Force uniform. He told me if anyone ever asked about it, he said, "I earned it." When he was ready to be discharged he had almost seven years in between his two stints and considered being a career man, but then he thought, "Nah, this sucks." So he came back to Chicago and went back to DePaul but he felt weird because this time he was really a lot older than everyone else. So he said, "Fuck it, I better go get a job." He walked in a bank and applied as a teller.

He also had a bunch of medals. I still have them. I don't know what all of them are. I have the Bronze Star in the original box though. One thing he told me was that the only one that mattered to him at all was the Combat Infantryman's badge. He said it was the only one that counted. A couple years ago I read Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried and in it O'Brien writes about the Combat Infantryman's badge in almost exactly the same words my dad used. I kind of got a chill.

You look exactly like your father

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Same thing I thought, Nas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Nas wrote:

Yeah, I do see the resemblance, but he was a little finer and prettier than I am. I'm like a rough version.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Yeah, I do see the resemblance, but he was a little finer and prettier than I am. I'm like a rough version.

Buttoned shirt is confusing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Buttoned shirt is confusing.

:lol:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
FavreFan wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Sad to see a hero like The Hawk have to prove anything. Id tell FF to fuck off and blow me . You don't have to prove shit bro.

:lol: Yeah, I don't see you doing that - at least to his face.

Really? Why is that? When you have a cock-sucker like FF, what is to be afraid of?

Hey champ, why don’t you shut the fuck up until we settle this? I’m still quite certain you’re full of shit and nothing will happen when that shows so for now just fuck off. It’s the least you can do.

Get your fucking money ready, dipshit. After this goes down, you really ought to get the fuck off of this board along with all of the sallies who supported your sorry ass.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The Hawk wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Sad to see a hero like The Hawk have to prove anything. Id tell FF to fuck off and blow me . You don't have to prove shit bro.

:lol: Yeah, I don't see you doing that - at least to his face.

Really? Why is that? When you have a cock-sucker like FF, what is to be afraid of?

Hey champ, why don’t you shut the fuck up until we settle this? I’m still quite certain you’re full of shit and nothing will happen when that shows so for now just fuck off. It’s the least you can do.

Get your fucking money ready, dipshit. After this goes down, you really ought to get the fuck off of this board along with all of the sallies who supported your sorry ass.

You have 24 hours. Five days is more than enough time for you to do it. I’m not waiting around while you try to figure out ways to keep this lie going.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
The die has been cast, the gauntlet thrown down.

I look forward to an end to this sordid affair.

Though the stories have been interesting.

Both my grandfathers served. One served in Korea and the other in WWII. Neither really talked about it but they did enjoy occasionally showing my brothers and I souvenirs they collected.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Peoria Matt wrote:
Same thing I thought, Nas.

His dad has way better hair.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If I don't hear it was verified by tomorrow I'm ready to give FF the win here.

The Hawk is probably trying to get the documents from the same places that makes you an ordained minister or gives you ownership of a star.

Eat shit, loser.

When are you going to finish looking through your boxes?

When are you going to quit sucking your own dick?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:06 pm 

My dad once interfered and stopped a 2 on 1 beating across the street from Village Video.

He was disqualified from Vietnam because of allergies oe something like that

Grandpas were in WW2 And Korea. Neither liked to talk about it.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
The Hawk wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If I don't hear it was verified by tomorrow I'm ready to give FF the win here.

The Hawk is probably trying to get the documents from the same places that makes you an ordained minister or gives you ownership of a star.

Eat shit, loser.

When are you going to finish looking through your boxes?

When are you going to quit sucking your own dick?

Why would he ever quit that, if he actually could?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Frank's Pizzeria
Furious Styles wrote:
Have you met Quad City Pete?

Hell, I serve my country every second I'm awake, and twice when I'm asleep. I'm at my most dangerous during REM sleep. I have been known to sleepfight, and my combat skills are well documented in the field. I find it hard to imagine any valor stealing Trump Nazi can run and hide for very long from these boulders attached to my arms.

If white privilege mansplaining fascist punching was awarded a medal of honor, i could probably build another story on my house using them. But I don't want to brag about it, because a soldier never runs his mouth. He's too busy watching the enemy run.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Quad City Pete wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Hell, I serve my country every second I'm awake, and twice when I'm asleep. I'm at my most dangerous during REM sleep. I have been known to sleepfight, and my combat skills are well documented in the field. I find it hard to imagine any valor stealing Trump Nazi can run and hide for very long from these boulders attached to my arms.

If white privilege mansplaining fascist punching was awarded a medal of honor, i could probably build another story on my house using them. But I don't want to brag about it, because a soldier never runs his mouth. He's too busy watching the enemy run.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:37 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Both my grandfathers served. One served in Korea and the other in WWII. Neither really talked about it but they did enjoy occasionally showing my brothers and I souvenirs they collected.

FF will never fess up. The proof is on its way. He will never deliver nor give the apology. He has NO HONOR. And all of this because he got pissed off at me for his being a Pecker Fan. What a sissy boy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I'm with Hawk until someone proves he didn't win a Purple Heart.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

FF will never fess up. The proof is on its way. He will never deliver nor give the apology. He has NO HONOR. And all of this because he got pissed off at me for his being a Pecker Fan. What a sissy boy.

If you don’t provide the proof by tomorrow everyone will know you are full of shit. The fact it’s already been four days is already convincing most people. Fuck you, lying cocksucker.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Thread took a cool turn, definitely. This has been interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Quad City Pete wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Playing Call of Duty in your parent's basement doesn't count pal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

If you don’t provide the proof by tomorrow everyone will know you are full of shit. The fact it’s already been four days is already convincing most people. Fuck you, lying cocksucker.

Really? Everyone will know? Why FF, are you now getting worried? You've suddenly imposed a "deadline" on me to prove myself innocent of your stupid accusations, eh? Hilarious, pissy boy. I do not march to anyone's timetable except my own. I want to know this, gutless one. Have you got the money up to send me? I know that you haven't because you have no honor whatsoever. All you are is a loud mouthed cowardly bastard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Is going to turn into another "We want Trump's tax returns" saga?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
FrankDrebin wrote:

Yes.

Yes it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:12 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Really? Everyone will know? Why FF, are you now getting worried? You've suddenly imposed a "deadline" on me to prove myself innocent of your stupid accusations, eh? Hilarious, pissy boy. I do not march to anyone's timetable except my own. I want to know this, gutless one. Have you got the money up to send me? I know that you haven't because you have no honor whatsoever. All you are is a loud mouthed cowardly bastard.

24 hours cocksucker. You can send a picture in less than a minute. Gives you 23 hours and change to still act like a cocksucker and get it done. Get it done, or shut the fuck up about it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:13 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:

Not for me. I’m done with this thread either way by tomorrow night.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:10 am 

pittmike wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

PFC, the rank so great FF earned it three times. :lol: :D

Earning ranks back during WWI and WWII I believe was much more difficult to do. Soldiers just pretty much stayed at their rank for a long time unless getting battlefield promotions. When you think about it, there really was much less clerical stuff going on back then I'd bet. Being a PFC back in those days was probably as tough or more to make than my Sgt. rank. In fact I know it had to be harder because I was in the service for less time than the average WWI or WWII soldier. Hell, back when I served some guys who were in the service for maybe 8 months were given NCO ranks of SSGT E-6. We called these guys, SHAKE and BAKES.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 am 

pittmike wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

PFC, the rank so great FF earned it three times. :lol: :D

:lol: :lol:

I just saw this you old fucker. That's a good one. Somehow never got busted down. E-4 mafia position was still in tact when I got out.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 62  Next