It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 pm 

tommy wrote:
Laptop died due to not having an office. Long story. Salary for one class is not much more than laptop, so teaching for free. Awesome. See you all when I get some sort of computer. Shitty motherfucking cocksucking fuckin day.

Is the punctuation on that last line correct? I gotsta know. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Power has been out for 4 hours, power coop says be ready to be without power over night. Batteries on cell and tablet are getting a workout. Thinking bourbon for dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Power has been out for 4 hours, power coop says be ready to be without power over night. Batteries on cell and tablet are getting a workout. Thinking bourbon for dinner.

We really have to get together one slow weekend day this summer. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The three of us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
pittmike wrote:
The three of us.

Nah you’re coming up to Castle Rock Lake over the 4th this year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 pm 

denisdman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
The three of us.

You come too. And the anarchist Tommy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:04 pm 

We can work something out. Just gotta make it happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:08 pm 

Pulte Estates is open to all, but up north is even more fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:09 pm 

denisdman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
The three of us.

Would be good

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Did my taxes and I owe Uncle Sam 3 grand. The wife is pissed at Trump. I tried explaining we paid LESS taxes overall in 2018 and it's our fault we didn't amend our W4s. She threatened that we should move to Canada (she was born there). Oh ya taxes will be lower there :lol:

Poor KW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Did my taxes and I owe Uncle Sam 3 grand. The wife is pissed at Trump. I tried explaining we paid LESS taxes overall in 2018 and it's our fault we didn't amend our W4s. She threatened that we should move to Canada (she was born there). Oh ya taxes will be lower there :lol:

Poor KW

It is funny how people equate refunds with how much they actually pay. I made two estimated payments in 2018 to avoid that fate. Still waiting to see how it will work out but have to get rest of the tax docs.

Will be nice to avoid AMT this year since that was one of the big fixes with the tax changes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
denisdman wrote:

Do you ever hit Carlson’s Rustic Ridge on Castle Rock Lake? Top notch Prime Rib.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:35 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Do you ever hit Carlson’s Rustic Ridge on Castle Rock Lake? Top notch Prime Rib.

Heck ya! Was just there three weeks ago. We are a few miles from there, also right off Z. But the real treat is hanging out at the Slip Inn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
denisdman wrote:

It is great if it is still there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 am 

denisdman wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Poor KW

It is funny how people equate refunds with how much they actually pay. I made two estimated payments in 2018 to avoid that fate. Still waiting to see how it will work out but have to get rest of the tax docs.

Will be nice to avoid AMT this year since that was one of the big fixes with the tax changes.

Yeah my FB was flooded with all sorts of tax misunderstandings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Kirkwood wrote:

Poor KW

our news station did a report on this. this was the jist

- a minute or so regarding the avg return is down $150 bucks. everyone is upset about not getting as much in return due to the new rules because of trump.
- 3 seconds to mention that the average person receives $25 extra per week ($1,250 per year) on their checks due to the same rule changes.
- tips on how to get a larger return by say adjusting your W4 etc. not how get a larger return due to maximizing deductions, but how to adjust to pay more taxes throughout the year.

they closed the segment talking about how most people use their returns to pay bills or put in savings and the guy goes "unfortunately, there won't be as much this year."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

1) backup generator.
2) wind turbine
3)solar power recharge pods for your portable devices.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
chaspoppcap wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

1) backup generator.
2) wind turbine
3)solar power recharge pods for your portable devices.

cow manure digester/ methane powered generator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:18 pm 

Cow manure isn’t as plentiful as it once was in the farm. Back when we had several
Hundred head maybe. Neighborhood person put in a cattle building. Judging from the odor he has plenty of manure.

We keep looking at generators. Just haven’t pulled trigger. Maybe wind is straightened out now but there are a lot of houses that put up turbines that had serious part failures and they haven’t turned a blade in years due to not being able to get parts. Solar at 7:30 at night not very helpful. But my wife has been talking all of those off grid/ “green” solutions for years. I’m convinced she’s going to put panels up and a turbine one of these days.

Power was back at 9:30 in morning. Everyone survived.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm 

I got bids for an automatic, natural-gas system installed, a couple of months ago, figured this was our last year for three college tuitions, plus it's a two outage year at work, so money might be available. Depending on brand, 20-22kW were $11-12K installed. About twice what I was expecting.

AEP is looking to replace the last pole next to our house, and I figured this was good time to bring it in underground and connect the generator, but I think I'll have a transfer switch wired in and the feed run underground, then put the gen set in myself at a later date. Until then, I can use the transfer switch with my portable.

Yes, with cows in the pasture/feedlot and fountain heaters keeping the water thawed, being down for more than a couple of hours can create a lot of extra work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 pm 

Back in college, we went to a dairy farm that had a manure digester, captured the methane and fueled a generator. The manure was spun to dry out the moisture which was re-used in the barns for wash water, and the dry matter was burned in a furnace for heating water, with the ash cooled and fed to the bulls and some of the cull cows. Talk about feed efficiency!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
K Effective wrote:
Back in college, we went to a dairy farm that had a manure digester, captured the methane and fueled a generator. The manure was spun to dry out the moisture which was re-used in the barns for wash water, and the dry matter was burned in a furnace for heating water, with the ash cooled and fed to the bulls and some of the cull cows. Talk about feed efficiency!
That really sounds like the shit!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:43 pm 

We don’t have the NG option.. either propane or diesel. Propane would be easy and the house is already wired with a switch to run only necessities. Wife would prefer diesel (long story, but in essence :roll: ) which is a pain although we generally have thousand plus gallons of off-road fuel on hand. Probably need two as the cattle are st two locations although one could always move catttle in a pinch.

I’ll talk to the electricians again as I’m putting in s bin and they said they handle it. Last bid was a bit higher than I like but...there are still a few farms with no power this AM. Cows need water.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Cow manure isn’t as plentiful as it once was in the farm. Back when we had several
Hundred head maybe. Neighborhood person put in a cattle building. Judging from the odor he has plenty of manure.

We keep looking at generators. Just haven’t pulled trigger. Maybe wind is straightened out now but there are a lot of houses that put up turbines that had serious part failures and they haven’t turned a blade in years due to not being able to get parts. Solar at 7:30 at night not very helpful. But my wife has been talking all of those off grid/ “green” solutions for years. I’m convinced she’s going to put panels up and a turbine one of these days.

Power was back at 9:30 in morning. Everyone survived.

My best friend is in a rural subdivision. His power goes out all the time. got a nat-gas backup. Has had it for at least 4 years and has paid for itself couple times over he says.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm 

K Effective wrote:

I’m often surprised the hog guys aren’t trying to collect the “biogas” for generators. There’s guys with 100k hogs being fed at any one time around here. That’s a lot of shit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:51 pm 

Be sure to keep the propane supply straight, dryers usually use liquid, smaller engines need vapor. Neighbor tapped into his dryer fuel line for a new shop heater, it threw flames about four feet out the front!!

I guess a generator would be fine with off-road diesel, legally that is, and many of the bigger sets come that way, more efficient than another propane tank.

My big portable is fine for our needs, but no one else here would be able to safely line it up and it loves it's gasoline! Only other gas engines are the two antique two-cylinders and chain saws, so it is kind of a pain. Plus, if the gas station has no power then what? NG is lower in btus than propane, but still more than enough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:55 pm 

If they are using a confinement building, then they are storing the manure under the floor, it would be another step to pump it into a SlurryStore to collect the gas. plus, I heard some deal about the local landfill that put in two pretty good sized methanols generators, they can make all their own power, but for some reason the utility does not have to buy any excess produced, like they do for a homeowner with wind or solar. Not sure of the rumor was true or what the basis was for that, but if the hog operation couldn't sell back excess power, the system would be far less affordable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
denisdman wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Poor KW

Punch yourself if you get a refund - because, due to poor planning, you just gave the US Government an interest-free loan!

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Panther pislA wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Poor KW

Punch yourself if you get a refund - because, due to poor planning, you just gave the US Government an interest-free loan!

Yep!

Goal is to owe as little as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 pm 

K Effective wrote:
If they are using a confinement building, then they are storing the manure under the floor, it would be another step to pump it into a SlurryStore to collect the gas. plus, I heard some deal about the local landfill that put in two pretty good sized methanols generators, they can make all their own power, but for some reason the utility does not have to buy any excess produced, like they do for a homeowner with wind or solar. Not sure of the rumor was true or what the basis was for that, but if the hog operation couldn't sell back excess power, the system would be far less affordable.

Some of the buildings are slurrystore storage while the newer ones are the under floor buildings. I don’t keep up too much on hog stuff as I have zero interest in raising hogs. I’ve heard similar stories from a landfill guy I know about putting in turbine generators but also that the maintenance on them was brutal (he is mostly out of the business now so things could be different but I don’t know.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 190  Next